Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Redeemer's Shotgun Has Better Gunplay Than Primary Shotguns

HolidayPi3

The knockback you get when you take something out with an impact proc - that's the sort of ragdolling you should get every time with shotguns.

Having just got the Boar Prime, it is awesome but that sound effect needs more bass.  Otherwise it's great.  I mean... those procs.  If you have heat damage, you can sort of wave it around the room with the trigger down and set EVERYONE on fire.

Yes, shotguns in this game feel a bit pathetic. 

Far Cry 3 got it down incredibly well. They got that OOMPH! 

It's meh in Far Cry 4, because it seems to lose it's strength so quickly. The best shotgun I've used is in Crysis when you activate the tighter spread mode. I used shotgun as much as I could then and it was awesome.

It's really sad that a melee weapon does better than what the actual primaries do.

Well, the Braton Prime got its buff, the 15.5 weapons got buffs-- but Shotguns (an entire weapon category!) are still lacking.

Shotties have been mentioned in a community hot topic. Does anyone know if what's mentioned in those threads actually correlates to later changes?

When I'm shooting my Boar Prime it feels like shooting a Silenced Pistol that magically shoots pellets instead of actual bullets...

Seriously, it just feels so weak. HOW CAN A SHOTGUN SOUND SILENCED ANYWAYS??? (Ignoring the illogical stupid silenced shotguns of CoD:Advanced Warfare)

P.S. Or at least make it fully silent.

I don't know what's in CoD, but funnily enough, there is at least one commercial shotgun suppressor out there irl:

http://youtu.be/rtIqTfObXIo

Though how much the reality of suppressors matches up to their video game counterparts is another matter of course...

Sorry a little off topic there  I know, but  I just found that part of the comment kind of amusing, so I thought I'd share ;). 

When I'm shooting my Boar Prime it feels like shooting a Silenced Pistol that magically shoots pellets instead of actual bullets...

Seriously, it just feels so weak. HOW CAN A SHOTGUN SOUND SILENCED ANYWAYS??? (Ignoring the illogical stupid silenced shotguns of CoD:Advanced Warfare)

P.S. Or at least make it fully silent.

shotgun-silencer-hed-2014.jpg

pic1.jpg

actnoise.jpg

Even without those, a shotgun could easily go silenced with a normal silencer -provided it could fit- if it shot slugs.

Melee weapons are unable to make noise, and making the Redeemer make noise is kinda $&*^y because every other attack is pretty much a shotgun blast.

People keep calling for shotgun buffs, and while I agree that they need buffs and properties that make them unique, the actual performance of shotguns needs to be changed to actually act like a shotgun and not a rifle that innately fires multiple bullets with that horrid damage drop-off (someone mentioned a while ago that in the files/code that shotguns were literally this).  For example, as much as I love my Tigris, it's few bullets ("pellet count") and high accuracy/low spread even with vicious spread make it feel like an insanely small magazine sized rifle with damage drop-off that relies on punch through to be effective.  It's the sniper shotgun the Hek wishes it was but the Hek didn't have damage drop-off (for a while).

They don't feel or act like shotguns right now and that's the biggest problem with the weapon class.  Once the mechanics of the weapons change, I feel like then they can have their numbers adjusted accordingly.

Great job with the Redeemer, DE. The shotgun feels exactly how it should-- brutal, visceral, and oppressive. These are qualities that primary shotguns are missing. I think what's been applied to the Redeemer should also be applied to primary shotties. I'll list out what I've noticed.

1. Enemies get blasted back quite a distance. This makes the Redeemer feel like an absolute beast-- The gunshot from this thing is a jaw dropper because the feeling of impact is just so present. Here's a picture comparison of my 6 forma Hek vs my rank 3 Redeemer. Which gun looks like it packs the most hurt?

Enemy shot with Hek -- Stays in place, flailing arms.

15746637117_410758de0e_o.jpg

Enemy shot with Redeemer -- Notice where the blood spray is. Notice where the enemy is. Notice the missing limbs. So satisfying!

15744957298_55aaff99cd_o.jpg

2. The Redeemer shot has a very very miniscule, manageable amount of screenshake. This also helps give the impression that you're shooting something that you do NOT want to be on the opposite end of. It illustrates the difference between shooting a water gun and a shooting a real gun. Perhaps add this when hipfiring the heavier, chunkier shotguns? Shotguns are by no means comfortable to shoot off-the-shoulder while running.

I'd provide a gif to help further illustrate this point, but I'm terrible when it comes to this stuff.

3. The Redeemer has innate punch through. In tandem with the points above, the punch through finishes the Redeemer's effect with, "Wow, I just hit the enemy so hard that I killed his friend behind him... and the one behind him too." This isn't as much of an issue because primaries can mod for punch through, but it was worth mentioning how well it works with the above effects.

I'll probably be updating this thread as I play with the Redeemer more and more. If anyone has anything to add, feel free!

Hek yeah, this is what I was wanting from the Tigris. Guys, let's petition DE to make the other shotguns comparable in their own rights. Ask them in every devstream about this, message them about this and keep posting into these threads.

I'll requote this guy:

I think if everyone simply keeps threads like this alive it will help get noticed more. Also: 

Make sure you post a message in every devstream questions thread (this got the message on a live stream before and works).

Conduct sensible tests and post your results on these forums.

Suggest sensible...improvements the weapon could get to help it.

Also above all we all must make sure to stock up on paitence.

I agree with the OP - the Redeemer has significantly better gunplay than shotguns, despite its short effective range (which is justified).

I think it would be reasonable to say that Shotguns need more pellets per shot, need damage fall-off yanked, and a bit of knockback (or at least stagger) to give them some power and extra crowd control.

Also, as a bonus, Finishing Touch with it's downed shotgun blast.

It's fast, hits for a lot, and will definitely hold me over until I get High Noon.

It seems kind of hilarious that the other game I play (Phantasy Star Online 2) has their Gunblade (called the Gunslash) make the Gun superior to the... Slash.

Edited by HyokaChan

+1 OP

remove dmg falloff on all shotguns, just allow them to balance their long range dmg with spread

This would definitely help a lot. In addition to all the gunplay related improvements that the Redeemer has, this would be a good step forward for shotguns.

As of now, shotguns are completely outclassed in the range they're supposed to be king in.

This would definitely help a lot. In addition to all the gunplay related improvements that the Redeemer has, this would be a good step forward for shotguns.

As of now, shotguns are completely outclassed in the range they're supposed to be king in.

I don't have high hopes that they'll actually remove that and make shotguns be limited by spread instead. It has been suggested repeatedly ever since damage falloff was introduced, but people kept whining about the Hek that was oh so OP at the time and that it needed a nerf. It's not like DE could have nerfed that one gun that stood out instead of turning the whole class of weapons into S#&$...