Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Warframe Concept: The Dragon [2.0] — Final Update 2/09/2015

Endrian

Okay. My hand hurts. And if this doesn't satisfy DE, I don't know what I can do that will.

1X0wW6s.png

DE, LOOK AT THIS!! LOOK AT THIS IN AWE AND MAKE THIS AWESOMENESS HAPPEN!!!! NAOW!!!!

ALL HAIL THE DRAGON!!!

Also PLEASE keep it a male frame.

Edited by (PS4)lll_Natsu_lll

Okay. My hand hurts. And if this doesn't satisfy DE, I don't know what I can do that will.

1X0wW6s.png

I think I died, came back to life, then died again, and came back to life, then died again...Iwasted all my revives basically... I LOVE THIS DE PLEAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEE

The art looks amazing Endrian it really does but here's my constructive critism:

1) As I have stated before it really does look good but it looks like a new skinned Rhino. The honest difference between the two would be the forearms and the slight difference in the shoulders.

2) The legs/shins are just a slight bit bulky to the proportion of the thigh/abdomen area

3) On your side view, the lower leg is way out of proportion to the length of the thigh (look at most body builders you'll see what I mean)

4) The helmet (no offence) just doesn't seem to jive with the torso. If I were doing a dragon themed frame, I'd put in more of the scaled ribs across the back or give the shoulders a more profound look.

I really like the anime-ish styling and design but it really does look like something a skin could accomplish rather than an actual frame.

Alright, pro-tip; Don't try to satisfy DE. Just do what YOU want to do, define your own style. That's what I did and look at how that turned out. Just have fun with your concept, that's what the entire point is, isn't it? Trying to match DE's style, or anyone else's won't make a concept popular, or noticed. Support from the original artist will. Always be pushing your boundaries, always try something new. And just... just have fun with it. If you can't do that, then YOU won't enjoy working on your project, and it will absolutely show in your work if you don't want to be doing it. And other people will pick up on it, and they'll feel that you don't really want to keep at it.

It's important not to be discouraged by people who are criticizing your design. Take a look at it, truthfully it does look a bit like Rhino, right? But all of these other people just parroting "Hail the Dragon!" or "Add the Dragon now DE!", its like you're standing in an echo chamber. And that's not good for the creative process, you need to be able to take the good with the bad, and realize that people who are criticizing your concept, but offering suggestions are trying to help you. You can just ignore people who are just straight criticizing your concept without stating why, though. At the end of the day, you have to remember that even though this is the case, it is your concept, you have to enjoy it, and enjoy doing it yourself.

Edited by RedSkittlez

Alright, pro-tip; Don't try to satisfy DE. Just do what YOU want to do, define your own style. That's what I did and look at how that turned out. Just have fun with your concept, that's what the entire point is, isn't it? Trying to match DE's style, or anyone else's won't make a concept popular, or noticed. Support from the original artist will. Always be pushing your boundaries, always try something new. And just... just have fun with it. If you can't do that, then YOU won't enjoy working on your project, and it will absolutely show in your work if you don't want to be doing it. And other people will pick up on it, and they'll feel that you don't really want to keep at it.

It's important not to be discouraged by people who are criticizing your design. Take a look at it, truthfully it does look a bit like Rhino, right? But all of these other people just parroting "Hail the Dragon!" or "Add the Dragon now DE!", its like you're standing in an echo chamber. And that's not good for the creative process, you need to be able to take the good with the bad, and realize that people who are criticizing your concept, but offering suggestions are trying to help you. You can just ignore people who are just straight criticizing your concept without stating why, though. At the end of the day, you have to remember that even though this is the case, it is your concept, you have to enjoy it, and enjoy doing it yourself.

"All Hail The Dragon!" You have forgotten about the "All" part...

Sorry, I just had to...

And yes, You have a point, good one at that.

I'm doing this, because, sadly, I'm unable to give any suggestions that would be of any use.

Edited by Drejzer

The art looks amazing Endrian it really does but here's my constructive critism:

1) As I have stated before it really does look good but it looks like a new skinned Rhino. The honest difference between the two would be the forearms and the slight difference in the shoulders.

2) The legs/shins are just a slight bit bulky to the proportion of the thigh/abdomen area

3) On your side view, the lower leg is way out of proportion to the length of the thigh (look at most body builders you'll see what I mean)

4) The helmet (no offence) just doesn't seem to jive with the torso. If I were doing a dragon themed frame, I'd put in more of the scaled ribs across the back or give the shoulders a more profound look.

I really like the anime-ish styling and design but it really does look like something a skin could accomplish rather than an actual frame.

1) I disagree, but you have the right to think that.

2) That's intentional. Dragon is a fast, high-armored frame; he needs heavily-muscled legs in order to explain his naturally higher speed compared to Rhino and Frost, the traditional tanky frames.

3) The upper legs do need to be made longer, if that's what you're saying; I agree with you there.

4) Those can be altered. I'll see what I can do.

Trying to match DE's style... won't make a concept popular.

Eh? I think you're misinterpreting why I'm trying to emulate the style: It's so that it actually fits the overall Warframe aesthetic; I'm not trying to play suck-up, I want my creation to artistically make sense in the Warframe universe alongside the other warframes.

Always be pushing your boundaries, always try something new.

Well... If you've been following the thread at all, or looked at the original concept, I think you can see I have. Dragon 2.0 is absurdly different from the original design, and went through several iterations along the way (the art's dotted along the 40-some pages of the thread; I didn't feel like they were good enough for the front page).

And other people will pick up on it...

Look, I'll be honest here. I'm envious of you. Your concept's been around just a few months, but it's already gotten community staff commenting on it. Mine's been around a year, and nothing. It's easy for you to feel confident that you have the proper attention you need to make more effort worthwhile; I haven't heard a peep, so, yes, I do get discouraged sometimes. But I haven't stopped, have I?

But all of these other people just parroting "[All] Hail the Dragon!"... it's like you're standing in an echo chamber.

Relax. Just because people have some newfound enthusiasm for my creation, it doesn't mean I'm suddenly satisfied with my work. We're both artists; we understand we can never truly be satisfied with what we've made. "All Hail the Dragon" started even before I began work on the larger reference picture, so you can be sure that didn't make me say, "Hm, well, I guess I'm done here."

As for the it looks like Rhino complaints, why? Because of the "exposed" abs and large shoulderpads? Because Dragon would be the only other bulky frame?

so8cSM6.jpg

1X0wW6s.png

I mean, honestly.

As usual I love your work. But I do have some constructive criticism which I'm going to put into one post, and I'll try to keep it clean and simple. I'm also going to separate this into 2 parts: Design and Abilities/Skills. (Sorry it's a lot to read)

DESIGN

First of all:k3Piucr.pngIf I'm correct the concept art you JUST released is of this without the back wings. Look at the way dragon looks in this picture. His wings look like epic shoulder plates. That's what I thought they were when I first looked at this picture and that's why I said it would be a great 'classic' look for Dragon. Either way it's an amazing piece.

Secondly:TkMCxiV.pngI said before that this skin would make a GREAT alternate skin. It's unique and fits the 'Dragon' theme extremely well. The helmet he is also wearing could be an alternate helmet. When it comes to helmets, you have a lot to work with when it comes to dragons, as you have many different kinds, such as European (also known as wyverns) or Chinese Dragons, to base the design of the helmets off of. Also, the weapon Dragon is holding would make a GREAT Spear/Pole arm (preferably spear as we have enough pole arms in the game). As of right now the weapon looks like a pole arm because it has 2 blades, one on each side. You could very easily make it into an amazing looking spear by making the bottom blade  (left one in the picture) (the blade without the wrapping next to it) smaller than the top blade (the one with the wrapping next to it). Whether it becomes a spear or pole arm it would be an awesome weapon and could be dragon's theme weapon (like Nami Skyla is Hydroid's and the mace is Oberons).This would also make one hell of a boss battle.

SKILLS

First of all, I don't think he should use jets in his attacks... They feel too fighter jet, plane-like (or at least that what it makes me think of). He should also have plasma coming from his mouth to relate more to a dragon. In addition, there are a few changes that could be made to Winged Lancer/Take Wing (Winged Lancer sounds better) and Rising Dragon.

Winged Lancer- Instead of jets, you could give him his wings back, but made of plasma. So he has plasma wings. This would also relate to WINGED lancer, not jet lancer. He would dash forward like excalibur (with its own animation) and at the end (or when stopped) would do a 360 AOE swing with his melee weapon. The swing could take into account the melee weapons range (+reach mod on melee weapon). While doing the 360 swing, instead of plasma coming from his gauntlets/jets, they would come from his mouth. So you would have him dash (doing damage while dashing like Excalibur) and when stopped, 360 spin attack with melee and plasma breath. The damage done from the 2 attacks could be balanced very easily.

Ultimate- I think it should involve a bit more skill. As of right now it seems like its a damaging aura that u can fly with. Instead i think this would be more appropriate:

Again, instead of jets, give him plasma wings as this would make his more "dragon-like". He deploys his plasma wings (doing AoE plasma damage) and flies into the air with his wings and moves like you would on the ground (without the walking/running animations, replaced with flying) aka the free movement you mentioned. The ability is also toggleable like u said/wanted as well. He equips his melee weapon and can do combos and stuff. You can fly faster by using the sprint button which would use up stamina, and u can slide kick in the air (adding a bit of martial art type stuff), if this uses stamina to do this while on the ground and in the air, slide kicking would use up stamina as well. In addition to using melee, you can breath/shoot plasma balls/bolts or plasma breath (preferably balls or bolts since you already have melee for close range and breath would be close range as well, balls/bolts give you a long distance attack). Maybe they would be AoE when they reach their target destination? You would fire them like you do your gun (left mouse button (default)). The plasma balls would have travel time like the Lanka and wouldn't be hit scan. Having the plasma balls have travel time adds a skill curve that some/most frames don't have because you have to account for target movement and such. Yes, I know that since the plasma balls would take away energy channeling and i am trying to figure out a way to have that as well. You wouldn't have ADS for the plasma balls since you would have blocking on the right mouse button (default). IF the balls do AoE damage upon reaching the target having an ADS wouldn't really be necessary, and most people I see don't use channeling that much, so those to things may not even be needed. However, I'm still trying to think of a way to have these things in there so that nothing is taken away.

Adding wings instead of jets would make the frame much more inline with the "dragon" arch-type. However, if you REALLY want to have jets in there, you could compromise and have the plasma wings come from the jets.

Overall that's what I think should change/happen with Dragon's design and mechanics/skills. In the end, it is your idea and anything you say goes. I really love your idea and work and want to help make it as good as it can be. Good luck with getting DE to see it and I'll try and help get them to notice your work/idea!

Edited by HavocWolf

TAke a look at the side and front shot again. Really it could be used as a skin for rhinos, what I'm saying is dont deviate from your concept because it looksggreat, what I'm saying is to those who see it like i do it could come across as a rhino reskinned. Dont take it wrong but I like the 2.0 design but I think it comes across as a rhino with a different head. That's all I'm saying.

1) I disagree, but you have the right to think that.

2) That's intentional. Dragon is a fast, high-armored frame; he needs heavily-muscled legs in order to explain his naturally higher speed compared to Rhino and Frost, the traditional tanky frames.

3) The upper legs do need to be made longer, if that's what you're saying; I agree with you there.

4) Those can be altered. I'll see what I can do.

Eh? I think you're misinterpreting why I'm trying to emulate the style: It's so that it actually fits the overall Warframe aesthetic; I'm not trying to play suck-up, I want my creation to artistically make sense in the Warframe universe alongside the other warframes.

Well... If you've been following the thread at all, or looked at the original concept, I think you can see I have. Dragon 2.0 is absurdly different from the original design, and went through several iterations along the way (the art's dotted along the 40-some pages of the thread; I didn't feel like they were good enough for the front page).

Look, I'll be honest here. I'm envious of you. Your concept's been around just a few months, but it's already gotten community staff commenting on it. Mine's been around a year, and nothing. It's easy for you to feel confident that you have the proper attention you need to make more effort worthwhile; I haven't heard a peep, so, yes, I do get discouraged sometimes. But I haven't stopped, have I?

But all of these other people just parroting "[All] Hail the Dragon!"... it's like you're standing in an echo chamber.

Relax. Just because people have some newfound enthusiasm for my creation, it doesn't mean I'm suddenly satisfied with my work. We're both artists; we understand we can never truly be satisfied with what we've made. "All Hail the Dragon" started even before I began work on the larger reference picture, so you can be sure that didn't make me say, "Hm, well, I guess I'm done here."

As for the it looks like Rhino complaints, why? Because of the "exposed" abs and large shoulderpads? Because Dragon would be the only other bulky frame?

so8cSM6.jpg

1X0wW6s.png

I mean, honestly.

Im siding with Endrian on this one.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT trying to insult you I am only here to help. The reason I said this was your previous  point was "And if this doesn't satisfy DE, I don't know what I can do that will." and I am here to say  that don't work to satisfy them just do what you want to do and what makes you happy as an artist. Like I said I am not trying to bash you or anything, just to help.