The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

You guys can hate on Zyphyr, Oberon and Chroma all you want. It's not gonna force others to take your rather childish view of things. 'Oh my gawd where are her eyez?? helmet A makes her eyez in her forehead compared to helmet B!'

But they don't have the damn eyes in the first place!! Listen to Alad V - completely throw the lore out of the window and stuff becomes unreasonable. Take Dark Souls and remove any bits of dialogue that give insight on lore and suddenly almost everything looks stupid.

You guys can hate on Zyphyr, Oberon and Chroma all you want. It's not gonna force others to take your rather childish view of things. 'Oh my gawd where are her eyez?? helmet A makes her eyez in her forehead compared to helmet B!'

But they don't have the damn eyes in the first place!! Listen to Alad V - completely throw the lore out of the window and stuff becomes unreasonable. Take Dark Souls and remove any bits of dialogue that give insight on lore and suddenly almost everything looks stupid.

And how can you be certain Alad V is speaking the truth, or if Alad V even knows if Tenno have eyes or not?

Except this was the target of endless complaints. I could go out and find hundreds of quotes blasting DE for being too literal with their themes.

Not exactly. There is a difference between fitting a theme while retaining the warframe universe and being ONLY theme while lacking the common warframe universe aspects. People felt those frames just went too far one way...just as they feel chroma goes to far the other.

And Chroma is pretty clearly dragon-inspired.

His head isnt.

Wings and enlarged, muscular shoulders? Something dragons have.

Overlapping scales with a leathery belly/interior? Also dragons.

He even has legs that almost appear digitigrade, ridges along his stomach like an alligator or eastern dragon, and he breathes fire.

Yep. unfortunately....

Anyway, not everything dragon has to be your stereotypical dragon, just look at how League's Shyvana is. She's a half dragon, has a "normal" human form, but even when she transforms, she doesn't look your average dragon, at all. It reminds me a lot of Chroma actually.

Put an anteater/seahorse head on her and see how folks respond.....

that's what is appears to be really sending people over the deep end.

Edited by Ronyn

I like that it looks similar to Infested designs, like Lephantis flute head. So it might not look like a classical dragon but it does look like something that would exist in the warframe universe owing to the origins of Tenno and Infested.. It should be fairly easy to introduce interesting vanity alt-helmets while keeping the default helmet as the lore one. So I like this art-direction better than the generic dragon armor some people have been posting.

Pretty much this.

When I heard that there was a dragon frame in the works, I expected very little in terms of design. I mean, you should be very well aware by now that all warframe designs are kind of funky and unpredictable looking. Expecting a generic dragon helmet is setting yourself up for disappointment, and I am surprised so little other people realized this. Instead I expected to be surprised by something weird, because they have managed to consistently deliver on that point, and would you look at that, isn't that a weird and funky and unpredictable? 

Someone else compared the design to a shaman wearing a wolf's pelt. This is kind of similar, except that the pelt is still somewhat functional. Great at parties.

Look, it's dumb, but it's a kind of dumb that I like, and you will not defile it by giving him a better hat. Shoo. Let me keep my flamethrower horn helmet.

*toot*

This is going the same way as Limbo. I love Limbo, but that doesn't change the fact that his design is ridiculous and I hated on him passionately when he first came out. Well, maybe not passionately. He's actually sleeker and more beautiful than Mr. Anteater, it's just... he has a tophat. In Warframe. A tophat. THAT'S SO STUPID OH MY GOlimbo ilu so much my baby i'm very sorry

Chroma means purity / intensity of Color.

the origin comes from the Greek khrōma, literally meaning Color.

Dragon should not be pigeonholed into a European Mythology dragon.

Dragons have appeared in the Mythology of every Society in the history of Human Beings. each one is a little bit different.

pigeonholing Dragons into one specific ideal of them is pompous and selfish. 

Dragons are not exclusively European dragons, nor are the exclusively oriental dragons. There are many different cultures across the globe that DE has drawn from to get their dragon.

I have a HUGE fascination with dragons of every culture.

Chroma's head doesn't invoke the style of any of them.

So please stop arguing as though this is all just some people who only know one type of dragon.

Is it me or does this frame seem to resemble a monster from monster hunter specifically the Agnaktor. and honestly if it is a monster hunter reference, i like the idea because this one had a fire element form and ice element form, though they were different species.

EDIT: Also I didn't Burrow her eyes 5 inches into her skull, as I stated, the red line is literally and indication as to where the Goggles end, and the green line is where her eyes would be, not once did I imply her eyes are deep in her head.

Except you placed her eyes too far back in relation to where her forehead ends above the goggles.

Anyways my point was that having such a huge obstruction hasn't stopped Zephyr from seeing while looking down slightly all the time, therefor validating Chroma having a faceplate under his "snout."

The greatest mystery of Warframe..... :P

Wait did we just literally do the "How can we see if the eyes don't real" thing?

Lord almighty.

*toot*

This is going the same way as Limbo. I love Limbo, but that doesn't change the fact that his design is ridiculous and I hated on him passionately when he first came out. Well, maybe not passionately. He's actually sleeker and more beautiful than Mr. Anteater, it's just... he has a tophat. In Warframe. A tophat. THAT'S SO STUPID OH MY GOlimbo ilu so much my baby i'm very sorry

Sometimes, dumb designs are, in a way, the best ones.

I'm still patiently waiting for space pirates.

Who's hating on Oberon?

He doesn't need it.

Plus, the flamethrower thing is on his forehead, it's not his snout.

Wait.. so he has flamethrower on his forehead? Just when i thought it cant get any worse.

On the other hand, its hilarious :D

Edited by IlluminatedOne

I don't care how OP something is. If it is OP then it is imbalanced. I don't like imbalance. Just like I don't like ugly frames. Dislike on both ends leads to me not using him. Mastery fodder? Maybe, assuming I cared about mastery after rank 14. So no, unless they change it I am not interested and I will not be using plat if I ever feel the need to master that frame. I dislike it highly and I believe it was a terrible representation of what a dragon theme frame would look like. Yes older frames don't look like their names but they at least look like their themes. (Stealth, sound, tank, swordsman, ect.) Chroma does not do that, he looks infested. He was supposed to be dragon themed. He is not currently dragon themed. That is an issue.

Chromas abilities are built around the dragon theme though if you havent watched the tennolive 2015 it was inspired by asian dragons for luck and most likely medieval for fire breath not to mention the elements "

For some clarity, Chroma (Arguably an abbreviation of Chromatic,) is taken from the idea of Chromatic Dragons in DnD. A color represented a different breath weapon,

Soooo...

White Dragon: Ice Breath

Red Dragon: Fire Breath

Deep Dragon: Acid Breath" As silverbones has stated.

Edited by -Jack.Of.Blades-

Except you placed her eyes too far back in relation to where her forehead ends above the goggles.

Anyways my point was that having such a huge obstruction hasn't stopped Zephyr from seeing while looking down slightly all the time, therefor validating Chroma having a faceplate under his "snout."

Again, that works As long as Tenno anatomy inside warframes Is 1:1 with human antomy.

THAT was what the entire thing was based upon? I could have told you long ago that the face plate doesn't obstruct his sight because it's no where near his eyes.

So please stop arguing as though this is all just some people who only know one type of dragon.

every single society in the history of Human Beings has fantasy tales of Dragons or other dragon-like creates of great power.

so you must broaden your horizons to include all mythical creatures of power in every civilization in human history.

also, don't forget this - which seems to be tricking / confusing a lot of people.

I personally think that Chroma, during the reveal, is in his agile stance, causing him to slouch down and look downward. If you pay close enough attention, you can see what seems to be a face plate. The protrusion is most likely a horn, (that doubles as flamethrower...) much like excaliburs helmet.

KFIN63W.png

But in all seriousness, I do believe he has potential as a badass looking warframe if they pull this off right...

867c00c9fe705b3c05f2d41e3e861d5f.png

The box is his mouth plate. You can clearly see an exaggerated chine at the bottom. It's actually pretty similar in the layout to Zephyr's helmets.

ZephyrFeature.png

Again, that works As long as Tenno anatomy inside warframes Is 1:1 with human antomy.

THAT was what the entire thing was based upon? I could have told you long ago that the face plate doesn't obstruct his sight because it's no where near his eyes.

*sigh*