The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

This isn't true. They did specify a gender.

Just popping in to confirm that DE did actually call the new Frame a 'he' while teasing about him in the Livestream.

Well, that solves that... dilemma? In the immortal words... of Spy:

"Was there ever any doubt?"

On the other hand, at least we can call the new Warframe "It". 

Not the clown "It". That would be horrible. 

Tim Curry Frame confirmed. It will be glorious.

As for the "it" of the Warframe - known fact it's male now, no real need to discuss it further. Back to the question of "theme" - which I still think will be a crystalline, prismatic sort of thing.

I can see now you are probably going to have a similar reaction to me about this news.

Also Slimes aren't just liquids you xenophobe. QQ.

What news?

And YES, I AM Xenophobic against Slimes. Worthless, lazy Slimes, coming into the zone and taking all the XP-Distribution jobs away from the MUCH harder working Trolls and Ogres because they're willing to work for nothing. They're a blight upon our fantasy world and I won't STAND to see them ruin our Experience Economy any longer!

What news?

And YES, I AM Xenophobic against Slimes. Worthless, lazy Slimes, coming into the zone and taking all the XP-Distribution jobs away from the MUCH harder working Trolls and Ogres because they're willing to work for nothing. They're a blight upon our fantasy world and I won't STAND to see them ruin our Experience Economy any longer!

DO NOT BULLY SLIMES.

They have it super hard man.

Color packs are given out and sold for 1 credit all the time, or even given out for free. We have a ton of basic colors given for free as well. So I'm not bothered by this, just wait until it comes out and we know more details about it. THEN complain

Seeing as how the Default color palette doesn't even have everything unlocked, I would say complaining is entirely valid (free/holiday palettes aren't available for purchase all the time). Sure, you get a sample of some colors, but it's still extremely limited.

Didn't realize this thread had 19 pages and that I was replying to a 3-day-old comment, I can only assume what I've said has already been said. If not, then it has now been said. :p

Edited by Ailith

Seeing as how the Default color palette doesn't even have everything unlocked, I would say complaining is entirely valid (free/holiday palettes aren't available for purchase all the time). Sure, you get a sample of some colors, but it's still extremely limited.

I think they'll be running through the base spectrum of colors to determine the powers - from top to bottom having the effect, rather than from side to side. Thus, looking at the pallet possibilities in the base, free colors (as demonstrated here; http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Color_Palettes ) it seems as though from red to white to black (well, grey but I think it'll count for it) will be available.

I HIGHLY doubt that "oh, this is more red than that, so more damage!" will be factored in.

Edited by Morec0

They BETTER not screw it up! And if they make any movies they BETTER bring Scott McNeil back to do Tahu's voice!

I was dubious, honestly. I still am but...yeah. Bionicle appears to be getting redone.

Now whether or not this is going to be anywhere near as good as the first run was, I don't know. I still find the fact that Teridax basically played everyone from the start and won utterly awesome and unexpected. Was epic admittedly...

OMG!!! THERE IS NOT ENOUGH WORDS IN THE WORLD TO DESCRIBE MY HAPPINESS.

p.s: sorry for the caps 

I just don't know how to feel right now. Kind of envy your enthusiasm.

Part of me is just really, really hoping they get good writers for it, or get the old ones back so the story will be worthy of enthusiasm. To say nothing of the interesting cultural stuff. The Matoran alphabet was fun to read scribbled in Kanohi and what not...

THERE'S NOTHING HARD ABOUT SLIMES! THEY'RE MADE OF GEL! THEY, BY DEFINITION, CAN'T BE HARD!

It does not matter. 

They can always regenerate. 

You two are horrible people. You're going to make the new Warframe cry... Well. If he can cry I guess.

Oh, didn't pay attention to that, apparently.

I picked it up by chance. Normally it would have slipped past me.

THERE'S NOTHING HARD ABOUT SLIMES! THEY'RE MADE OF GEL! THEY, BY DEFINITION, CAN'T BE HARD!

What about Metal Slimes?

I HIGHLY doubt that "oh, this is more red than that, so more damage!" will be factored in.

If they did, well...that'd just be utterly unfun.

But, hey, moment 'Colour affects Powers' was mentioned my enthusiasm for this frame went the way of the dodo. They could be cool as all get out, mechanically and aesthetically interesting as much as they want...But the fact it will require the ability to distinguish one colour from another in a very very user unfriendly colour palette set up just...kills it.

Not to keep banging the colour blindness thing but...it really is that simple. Cant tell what colour energy you're using? Well, there goes your ability to grasp how to use a frame built around that.

Mechanically interesting, but hypothetically unplayable from my experience of similar mechanics in games before now.

At least I've got Banshee, Mesa and Rhino to play around with, figuring out builds and Augment tricks.

Its pretty obvious.

it changes based on energy color. that eliminates basically all option.

What is effected by color??? Light. It could be invoker, or maybe dragon.

Though LIGHT based frame was popular, and does have a effect on color sooo. I think this is by far the best bet.

I could go for a Dragon frmae

You two are horrible people. You're going to make the new Warframe cry... Well. If he can cry I guess.

What do you know that we don't!?!?!?!??

Also: now I'm calling Slime frame... which is weird....

Edited by Morec0

What about Metal Slimes?

But, hey, moment 'Colour affects Powers' was mentioned my enthusiasm for this frame went the way of the dodo. They could be cool as all get out, mechanically and aesthetically interesting as much as they want...But the fact it will require the ability to distinguish one colour from another in a very very user unfriendly colour palette set up just...kills it.

Not to keep banging the colour blindness thing but...it really is that simple. Cant tell what colour energy you're using? Well, there goes your ability to grasp how to use a frame built around that.

Mechanically interesting, but hypothetically unplayable from my experience of similar mechanics in games before now.

At least I've got Banshee, Mesa and Rhino to play around with, figuring out builds and Augment tricks.

I'm a bit peeved at the idea as well, since I don't like my visual customization in this game to get in the way of my gameplay - hence why I ABHOR the Arcane Helmets.

What about Metal Slimes?

What if you can see what element your color is giving you either while choosing your color or while in the abilities tab?

Edited by Alchemypotion

What if you can see what element your color is giving you either while choosing your color or while in the abilities tab?

That'd imply the UI for this Frame would have a little marker so, when hovering and selecting your Energy colour, it shows your Element. Possible, naturally, but then the issue is once more 'Customisation affecting gameplay directly' which...isn't pretty. Given the sheer scope of character customisation without consequence that's taken as practically necessary in games these days, it's a bit of a sticking point.

At any rate...it really is that simple; either they incorporate a UI element to help with the fact they don't label the colours directly, or those like myself who cannot tell where one colour starts and another begins just...can't reliably make the most of the mechanic. Sure, it can use 'any red', or any 'blue' to work for sheer pragmatism, but if you can't tell your reds from your shades of pink, or your blues from your purples (one of my personal weaknesses) a lot of time for little return.

Fact is, it is really, really irritating needing to ask friends to name a colour for you. It's a whole order more irritating when it isn't simple aesthetic but actually gameplay significant. Or to get lectured in game you've picked 'the wrong one' for the task at hand, whilst the deck is all so many shades of...stuff.

Maybe they'll add symbols to the colour palettes instead of naming them. So...Reds all get marked with a little R or something, Blues get a B. Simple, but it at least is a start. I remain doubtful that'd happen any time soon, however.

Would I be pleasantly surprised if this Warframe is actually built with Colour Blind gamers in mind as far as possible, with a wealth of accessibility stuff brought along with it so we can enjoy it too? Darn right I'd be surprised. It'd be just...well, it'd be great. Lockers were a nice start, and if they've been secretly working on all the other colour issues raised here and there, to drop in one go? Awesome.

Is it going to happen? I'm not going to hold out hope for that. It's a very much 'after everything else' matter, as end of the day, it's lower priority than just getting things out into the game proper. I won't pretend otherwise and I'm not begrudging that fact. Really is the way games and art have worked for me since ever. Spyro the allegedly Purple dragon is the same shade of blue as Sonic the Hedgehog, for me.

I really don't like to be 'that guy' but...with the information I have, and my prior life experience of such mechanics in games over the years, I cannot say I honestly believe I'm going to be able to engage with this version of 'Colour = Power type' any better than the rest over the years.

They'll need symbols already built in, or it really is a case of 'Can't tell, frustration, dislike'.

My opinion will change with more information, but the trends as I've seen them (oh the irony...) are necessary to bear in mind.

And of course, the age old adage: Better to be hesitant and pleasantly surprised than overly excited and bitterly disappointed.

I think it is something along the lines of Light or Chameleon type of Warframe. Someone that can mold quite well. Interesting mechanic but we already have sort of Illusionist in game that takes her abilities mostly from light which is Mirage. And they have said that it is a long time community requested so that is weird in my opinion that such a theme overtook rock theme. Not that it can not be a Rock/eErth themed but it would be weird to use such a mechanic on such a Warframe theme.

This is what I would have expected if not Rock/Earth themed Warframe is not the theme as it seems like it isn't: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/176524-warframe-concept-typhus-the-parasite-warframe-update-25012015/