Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are There No Good Anime / Cartoon Shows?

MechaTails

- snip -

The biggest problem of Japanese manga/anime industry is in their ideology. Most MC is14 years (on average; +/- geniuses). and the story is wrapped around his/hers life. Easy to understand story (for them at least) ...

bla bla bla ...

I'm watching/reading both manga and anime. some series is better than anime, and some manga adaptations is far behind its manga. And have sometimes a really difficult time chose the series that i would watch. And as you i don't want to watch the same thing (settings) for n- time. And I'm avoiding a mindless fanservice at all cost - it came up to dropping a series that I really wanted to watch.

For anime recommendation (not mentioned above, side note some of them you are watching for your own risk):

Ah! My Goddess

Binbougami ga!

Level E

Flame of Recca

Full Metal Panic! ("second raid" and "fumofu?!")

Ga-Rei Zero

Heroic Age

Karas

Love Hina

Tiger & Bunny

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (with second season and movie final)

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (with second season and oav alternative final)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Robotech (or macross)

Zero no Tsukaima (3 seasons)

Tower of Druaga - The Aegis of Uruk (+ second season) (you can skip the first episode ...)

The biggest problem of Japanese manga/anime industry is in their ideology. Most MC is14 years (on average; +/- geniuses). and the story is wrapped around his/hers life. Easy to understand story (for them at least) ...

bla bla bla ...

I'm watching/reading both manga and anime. some series is better than anime, and some manga adaptations is far behind its manga. And have sometimes a really difficult time chose the series that i would watch. And as you i don't want to watch the same thing (settings) for n- time. And I'm avoiding a mindless fanservice at all cost - it came up to dropping a series that I really wanted to watch.

For anime recommendation (not mentioned above, side note some of them you are watching for your own risk):

Ah! My Goddess

Binbougami ga!

Level E

Flame of Recca

Full Metal Panic! ("second raid" and "fumofu?!")

Ga-Rei Zero

Heroic Age

Karas

Love Hina

Tiger & Bunny

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (with second season and movie final)

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (with second season and oav alternative final)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Robotech (or macross)

Zero no Tsukaima (3 seasons)

Tower of Druaga - The Aegis of Uruk (+ second season) (you can skip the first episode ...)

Most of those, at least the ones I have watched, fall directly into what Darktails was complaining about in the OP. Fanservice, stupid kids doing stupid things without any consequence, the same bland school setting in which very little actual education happens...

I have to call out Zero no Tsukaima / Familiar of Zero as being particularly boring, having several major plotholes, the characters being notably stupid by anime standards, deus ex machina, and overall just dragging out for waaay to long. Seriously, you expect a 12-14 (I can't remember) year old kid to just walk into a military base and fly off with a jet? One scene he's out front of the base getting off the bus, next scene he's showing up to save the day...

Heroic Age was interesting, but not to my taste, I tend to avoid mech-themed series as they get quickly get boring for me.

Binbougami ga! was fun, had an amusing premise executed fairly well, generally good characterization, and was overall enjoyable. Won me over with that adorable puppy with the extreme bondage fetish.

Edited by Kthal

bla bla bla ...

I'm watching/reading both manga and anime. some series is better than anime, and some manga adaptations is far behind its manga.

Problem of most anime is that most it's targeted toward young public.

There's a lot of manga that get dumber in their anime version, censored or get added pointless things somewhat induced by either money making or general public smoothing content (well it's on TV).

Things that aren't shounen oriented can have interesting things but got their own problem of course, in the end you just need to be aware of what you're looking for.

I don't have my own recommendation list because it's not something I can usually think on the spot

Among what is here the one I'd recommend most is probably Berserk

some mentions (from already suggested by the others)

Parasyte

Code Geass

Death Note

Spice and wolf 8D

oh, hack/roots, hack series are somewhat interesting.

Black lagoon lol

Random comment

Binbougami ga, too bad they don't seem up for another season, quite liked the manga

Tower of Druaga, could have been better exploited too bad

OMFG i forgott the most important Anime for a Gamer

Sword Art Online

That's not how you spell .Hack

In any case, I also forgot to mention one of the most important anime series ever -- Fist of the North Star. Created several tropes, with several current animes pulling heavily from it (looking at you, Jojo). Also forgot to mention Durarara, which has been a huge favorite amongst my friends.

Edited by Vargras

Thanks for all the suggestions, theyre all going on the watch list lol

I've hit many of the known series like Akira, Lodoss War, Claymore, Samurai Jack, Afro Samurai, GITS, Inuyasha, etc. Its not that Im looking for specific genres, Im open to almost anything, its just that the genuinely good shows ive seen so far have been action stuff like that, with aspects that make them more than "just another scifi/action/etc." series.

But to be fair, Im also not a giggly chibi-loving 14 year old girl or a horny 14 year old boy, so the vast majority of stuff Ive sampled so far feels borderline insulting to my intelligence lol. Im definitely avoiding certain genres and certain popular shows.

And then I loved absurd shows like The Adventures of Flapjack, but I absolutely cant get into Adventure Time. Maybe Im fickle. lol

Okay, I'm going to specifically mention Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World) again.

It's a dystopian type anime, and it was based off of a 1000 page novel. Not a LN or manga. This series was absolutely brilliant. Art style was beautiful. A lot of people liken the anime to The Giver, as if Shin Sekai Yori is the Japanese version of it, so if you've ever read that, from what I understand, the two have similarities.

However there were a few things in it that might turn you off based on your OP. First of all, the story follows 5 kids living in the future. It starts off with them at 12 years old, however, after 7 episodes, there is a two year time skip. So for a fair amount of the show, the main characters are 12 or 14 and are in school. But I'd like this fact to not turn you away from this show, it's just too good. However, this is all explained out. I forget which episode it was around but there is a second time skip that is 12 years(around episode 16 or 17 if I recall correctly), so the characters are adults in the last episodes of the show. Shin Sekai Yori is a brilliant and excellent thriller, and just about ever episode ends in a cliffhanger so it keeps you hooked. Music is beautiful, original, and fits really well with the setting, even chilling at times. And there is always this air of mystery when you're watching an episode, it's thrilling and chilling, and it's just great.

If you're going to watch this show though, and I highly recommend that you do, you must, and I mean absolutely must, pay close attention to the first 3 to 4 episodes. Foreshadowing is a very well executed literary device used in this anime, and just about everything that happens is explained in the first 3 or 4 episodes. Lastly, I'm going to give you a bit of forewarning. There is a small amount of yuri and yaoi in this anime, nothing really heaving, just a bit uncomfortable for me personally so I'll give a heads up to anyone who I suggest this to, and also, like I previously stated, everything is explained in the first 3 or 4 episodes, particularly episode 3, so again, don't let me mentioning this turn you away from this show. Pay special attention to episode 3, it is the major info dump for the series and everything that happens afterward.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

My personal favorite is Tokyo Ghoul.

It's different from that vampire bs with no 7 year old supernatural characters. And has a little bit of gore, the animation is good too.

And it has the best weak main character turned into the coolest half-insane badass.

Go try it out and see if you like it.

Though if you don't like the anime, go read the manga. It's a masterpiece.

I'm not a huge anime fan, hell it is just something to fill the time between GoT, LCS and LCK being on when my sub-box is empty

That being said there are a couple I can recommend

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Was recommended to me by my flatmate as a first one to watch.

The story is golden, and you can ignore the "overly Japanese" moments in it for the most part.

There are some excellent fights in it and some nice themes in it as well.

Watch it if you haven't already.

Claymore

If you like srs stuff, this is for you. Great visual style (even if it is older) and a decent story.

If you read the synopsis of it, it does sound rather stereotypical (superpowered girls killing monsters with bigass swords) but in watching it it doesn't feel that way, more because the whole thing is srs.

Ergo Proxy

You don't see this one recommended that often, and I can see why, since it's story isn't overly strong. On the other hand, it's visuals are amazing, and again, with its more serious tone, it feels very atypical which is good.

Pretty long and slow, but worth a watch IMO

Ghost in the Shell: stand alone complex

More comedic relief than the last two, but still more serious than most others.

Not much more to say other than that it is Ghost in the Shell and you should watch it if you already haven't.

Most recently I watched Rage of Bahmut: Genesis, and though it looked good and had a decent story, it just felt a bit weak/predictable overall.

Plus there was a lot of sillyness which kinda sucked.

Anyways that stretches my knowledge of the good stuff to watch.

I'd suggest more, but given that the LCS and LCK have started up again, my evening video sessions are already full.

Though, I do have this open in a tab to look into in the far future if I get really bored

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/bbygl

Also, if anyone is into horror stuff, Tokko is pretty good.

Sadly just like Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, it ends with a stupid cliffhanger with no sign of continuation.

Sigh, anime, y u do dis

Also, obvious one, Devil May Cry

Because it's @(*()$ Devil May Cry

Edited by Cynaris

OMFG i forgott the most important Anime for a Gamer

Sword Art Online

Yea... no. It barely dents what its like being a gamer, its more drama and a love story and a crap load of fan service which is really unneeded especially with Season 2. I'll say first half of season 1 was OK then just dropped. If anything .Hack was the first Anime for gamers. If you want a more recent gamer type anime I'll also say Log Horizon. 

No Game No Life is another great anime to watch, just puts you in awe in how the character can think, and Samurai Champloo the same guy who made Cowboy Bebop. 

Edited by Aeronomatic

Though, I do have this open in a tab to look into in the far future if I get really bored

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/bbygl

Out of the two lists that this guy made, the only ones that I can say are must watch shows are Steins;Gate, Mirai Nikki, and Guilty Crown, in that order. They're all great animes and the stories are done well.

Edit: Though for an honorable mention, Love, Chuunibyo, and Other Delusions gets it. It's a bit too cutesy, romantic and slice of life for me, but I did enjoy watching it. Good amount of comedy in it too.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Checking in...

Saw 3 episodes of the Maoyu Yuusha. It's cute, has funny parts, but... It really is as boring as it sounds lol. Its going to be a while before i come back to it and see if anything noteworthy happens.

Saw all 25 episodes of Berserk. It's not exactly riveting, but im a sucker for the setting it's in so i stuck with it. Found myself fast forwarding through the later episodes, and wishing Guts and Griff would just have a manfuck already rofl. Pretty boys are annoying. Oh look at that, demon rape and a weird unexplained unsatisfying ending. Im guessing the story continues in manga form.

Saw a few episodes of Over the Garden Wall. Its cute, i really like the music, the pumpkin episode had me yelling "oh shiz get out of there! You cant trust pumpkin weirdoes!", but i'll have to come back to it, its a little too kiddy. I got uncomfortable watching it, thinking "shouldnt I be working instead of watching stuff like this?" lol

On to another batch!

Checking in...

Saw 3 episodes of the Maoyu Yuusha. It's cute, has funny parts, but... It really is as boring as it sounds lol. Its going to be a while before i come back to it and see if anything noteworthy happens.

Saw all 25 episodes of Berserk. It's not exactly riveting, but im a sucker for the setting it's in so i stuck with it. Found myself fast forwarding through the later episodes, and wishing Guts and Griff would just have a manfuck already rofl. Pretty boys are annoying. Oh look at that, demon rape and a weird unexplained unsatisfying ending. Im guessing the story continues in manga form.

Saw a few episodes of Over the Garden Wall. Its cute, i really like the music, the pumpkin episode had me yelling "oh shiz get out of there! You cant trust pumpkin weirdoes!", but i'll have to come back to it, its a little too kiddy. I got uncomfortable watching it, thinking "shouldnt I be working instead of watching stuff like this?" lol

On to another batch!

Another one I forgot to add is Parasyte Maxim. It's basically the anime version of "The Thing" and has some good action. Based on a really great manga from the 90's but its been adapted to modern day in a great way without interfering with the plot. Takes place in the life of a highschool teenager though, and I know that was something you said you didn't like too much. But if you liked The Thing (or you like crazy body horror), you'll like Parasyte.

Checking in...

On to another batch!

Well, I never said it is going to be explosive, I said that it's smart. Not your typical anime material. 3 episodes doesn't quite show enough to know.

It doesn't have too much actionpacked stuff in it (although does have some), but it's not the point.

With that said, I understand if you don't like it :P

Just saw the first episode of Gurren Lagann

Whatthefrickdidijustsee is that a giant head with legs? WHOAMG cool drilling tools and goggles i want some whoa check out the surface babe! Aaaahhhhh! Effective immediately i will now be known as KaminaTails and so will all my little pigmole bebes

So glad i saw that before i go sleep, going to have dreams about robot treasure, space wars, and spunky chicks riding pigmoles

Im so in love with all the eyewear ive seen so far lol

Full metal alchemist...little kids with superpowers...meh. The outline for the show sounded interesting so i watched the first episode. Cool setting, funny characters, i love the Muscle Bender, er, i mean the Strongarm Alchemist lol. I'll keep watching

Edited by DarkTails