Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Evil Traders De Please Its Time For A New Trade System

Doughalo2

So what would be great is a place, like hubs, where buying and selling is easy and fast. Not in the Liset though. In a hub. That would make them more useful.

While this is an interesting idea you have to keep in mind that the hubs hold significantly fewer people than trade chat: as a seller, I immediately become concerned about visibility.

Welcome to the world of the online gaming trade economy !

A World that is broken since economy itself was invented and that Valve's TF2 keys have contributed to destroy to it's roots !

In all seriouseness, i hear you there, i wish i could trade a prime part for another prime part but nooooooo, only plats... and noone can take my plats but Darvo so screw those traders !

Edited by Otakuwolf

, an auction house is probably the best choice.

Glad to hear that everyone's lengthy posts breaking down why Warframe's economy isn't set up to handle one have fallen on deaf ears.

I don't even know why I bother....

Trade chat is painful. Like a lot of us have said, an auction house is probably the best choice.

yes. with auction house people can find what they want easier and cheaper. this leads to much more trading activities and everyone wins.

While this is an interesting idea you have to keep in mind that the hubs hold significantly fewer people than trade chat: as a seller, I immediately become concerned about visibility.

I was saying that the auction house should be located in a hub, not accessed through the Liset's interface.

i wish i could trade a prime part for another prime part but nooooooo, only plats

The problem here is that the Warframe community is (very broadly) divided into two groups of people:  Turbofarmer veteran players who have everything as soon as it's available, and newer players who are still trying to complete sets. The people most likely to have what you want are the people least likely to want what you have. While I am perfectly willing to swap prime parts with other people in principle, reality is that I don't need any prime parts except for whatever the very latest prime stuff is....  so part-for-part trades just end up costing me credits.  I suppose there's a case to be made for accepting rare prime parts purely for their ducat value, but honestly I can't be bothered to memorize the list of parts that are in the 50 ducks range on the minor chance that somebody will want to trade one for something less rare.

What I have learned so far from trading in warframe that this game's trading system is all about patience and hitting the iron while it's hot. I remember keeping my eye in trading for 2 weeks to finally be able to get a max serration for 90p. Then again there were 250p sellers. To me, the trading is all about patience. Wait long enough to get the item at the price you want it to be or just go on a farming spree like those who sells stuffs. If you are not beefed up enough, keep on leveling, there is no rush. But of course, a change would be nice. I am tired of posting WTS / WTB every 2 minutes.

Edited by ---RNGesus---

You don't need to trade with other players. Other people setting prices that you don't like it is not actually harming you in any way.  Too expensive? Don't buy it. Go get one yourself. It's that simple.

Plus, if you actually do the math on the amount of platinum people charge for things versus the amount of time it takes to get them, I believe you will find that traders are basically working for Chinese sweatshop pay. It seems unreasonable to charge 50 platinum (about 3$, without discount) for {rare part} until you take into consideration that statistically it takes days of effort to get one. In the case of ranked up mods, literal days i.e. more than 24 hours in-game farming cores.

Complaining that other people charge too much and it's not fair kind of smacks of you valuing your time more than other people's. That's not cool.

As far as adding an auction house, after seeing the market manipulation that happens in other games, I maintain that the only way to make this work properly is to remove the possibility of resale. If you buy a thing from the auction house, it's yours, and you can't trade it again.

(I'd also like to point out that I often correct people on their bids if they are trying to buy something that's not in super high demand. Newbie offers 50p for a prime set, I sell it to them for 30.  But the beneficiaries of such honesty don't come and complain on the forums.)

Totally agree !

Is not this - as stated previously - a supply and demand issue, where a new prime 'something' appears and the first ones to get the parts are in strong position to sell high, just as in RL.  

I find it quite amusing that you do not see players on the forum moaning about just having bought a rare mod off a player @ 5p !

In setting prices I do suggest that something needs to be set in place as a guide, but if DE is unwilling to do that we have to put up with what we have.  As for an auction house, go ahead, you will really kill the trading system. 

And finally yes the mechanics of trading are hideous;  leave Liset - go to Dojo - failed invite, back to Liset to have other player inv...............ARGH !  We need a trade shop on the concourse.  

I heard D3's auction house failed because the Devs used it to justify DRM and other things that FUBAR'd the game. It was just a bad execution.

Personally I would be all for something like it as long as DE does it right.

My biggest gripes with trading are the impractical chat and dojo system, and the fact that you need to be online at the same time the seller is.

Of course the only way to address that is something extremely similar to an AH, which is way too controversial.

That's why I think personal listings limited by MR would be good. That way, you can offer X items you want to sell, and what you are asking for them, with an offer-counteroffer interface like Steam trade's (not the marketplace, the personal trade popup). Being MR locked would help stop alts, and a limited number of items means you won't see a million "cheap" mods because most people will be after the rare stuff. 

You could even post "WTB lists". Think of those TF2 trade sites, something like that.

My biggest gripes with trading are the impractical chat and dojo system, and the fact that you need to be online at the same time the seller is.

Of course the only way to address that is something extremely similar to an AH, which is way too controversial.

That's why I think personal listings limited by MR would be good. That way, you can offer X items you want to sell, and what you are asking for them, with an offer-counteroffer interface like Steam trade's (not the marketplace, the personal trade popup). Being MR locked would help stop alts, and a limited number of items means you won't see a million "cheap" mods because most people will be after the rare stuff. 

You could even post "WTB lists". Think of those TF2 trade sites, something like that.

Mate, this really could work, but we need an offline selling too. Make it like steam trading window - great idea, but... wait for it... DE already did this! What you offer is basically removing the necessity of going to dojo. Again, back in starting of trading dojo was the only place where we could meet other Tenno not on a battle mission. 

Something like item listings should be implemented ( but of course we wont call it AH, nonono, AH is so much different from listing items for selling!) 

I dont like to spent hours typing WTB/WTS too, personally I`d go for AH. Much safer, because prices will be regulated by lowest offer and you will actually SEE that offer, not like a potential seller with an adequate price somewhere on his liset, feeding a grineer leg to his mr. fluffers while you endlessly type WTBWTBWTBWTBWTBWTB!!!111

Edited by Vicious_D

Mate, this really could work, but we need an offline selling too. Make it like steam trading window - great idea, but... wait for it... DE already did this! What you offer is basically removing the necessity of going to dojo. Again, back in starting of trading dojo was the only place where we could meet other Tenno not on a battle mission. 

But the Steam trading system allows you to trade offline. I think it's a great compromise.

Why cant we just have simple listings like on steam trade or ebay coupled with an auction house.

I wish I could skip the spam and select categories, and Sub-categories. EX: Mods,Prime parts,weapons, etc

Listings:

A trader want item A for item B and when someone is willing to trade they can accept the listing despite the seller being offline. If someone wants to make an offer instead, the seller can be notified on login and decide whether to accept or not.

Auction:

Or they could head over to the auction house and set a time limit on the auction, set a minimum plat bid, and take the rest of the day off from spamming. Then we wont have over priced items save it be on a trade listing or a minimum bid being set too high.

In order for this to happen it would require a massive overhaul in the game. But before people complain that the idea is either too complicated or is a horrible idea, look at the real world: We dont all go into a room and scream prices and items, Wall St. may seem like it but its actually well organized. We look for what we want to buy or trade. And as for it being too complicated just look at the games evolution and notice how its evolved way better than any non-free-to-play game.

As for items becoming non trad-able after a trade, I find that a poor idea because things change in the game so often and supply and demand change with it too. So what if people can make profit off the market, Im just tired of only seeing "WTS Prime bp 200plat" on 90% trade chat listings even months after its release.

But before people complain that the idea is either too complicated or is a horrible idea, look at the real world

I'm going to stop you there.  First of all, the prevailing argument against an AH is not that it's too complicated, but rather that the drop rates and item economy are tuned such that the frictionless access to trade will devalue 98% of items on the market.  Furthermore, making appeals to "how things work in the real world" is a nonsensical notion; this videogame about space ninjas needs to continue to make design choices in the name of balance rather than verisimilitude.

I would love to see a proper auction house mainly because it is much more organised when trying to buy and sell items. The down side would probably mean lower prices as a buyer would be able to see what would be the best price available. During the busy times of trading half the time you cant see whats being sold as the channel scrolls so quick. The idea you need to go to one clans dojo and invite after etc is so slow and tedious I wonder what the smart guys at DE were thinking. Also, why have trading restrictions? I really want to know the thinking behind this.   

The only time prices are a rip off is when event mods are being sold or items that are no longer available. Basic supply and demand.  This comes down to DE and not the players. For new players that would like to have access to dual stat mods, like the electric mods, these are costly and some would say at a disadvantage at not being able to build high status chance on their weapons. The problem with content based games is that eventually players lose interest and move on if grinding for the same items, but are also limited/not willing to pay what is essentially a new game for the items that are not available via grinding.  Like all game companies that have a high content based game, the balance of making money and constantly adding new content to keep new and old players happy is very difficult.  

I'm going to stop you there.  First of all, the prevailing argument against an AH is not that it's too complicated, but rather that the drop rates and item economy are tuned such that the frictionless access to trade will devalue 98% of items on the market

Exactly.

(PS4)Mofojokers, on 27 Feb 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:snapback.png

I think an auction house is just whats needed. Yes undercutting will happen but tough $&*^ens wow has done well with it. Also it brings in a new market of people that love to play the ah mini game. Buy and sell at the highs and lows god made so much gold in wow doing that lol.

Exactly- and people do it in the trade chat anyway, I see people undercutting others in their selling offers all the time regardless, it happening in an auction house environment isn't going to change anything.

They might not want to do an auction house of sorts, but there's a reason that MMOs do it in the first place- because it works.

And as of the moment, the trade chat is awful. You have anywhere between 2-10 seconds for people to see what you're buying/selling, and then you have to post it again. And again. And again.

If not a auction house, there's other ways to do it.

Edited by Camelslayer

why have trading restrictions? I really want to know the thinking behind this

[mo: to limit unrestrained re-selling/speculation]

The only time prices are a rip off is when event mods are being sold or items that are no longer available. Basic supply and demand.  This comes down to DE and not the players. For new players that would like to have access to dual stat mods, like the electric mods, these are costly and some would say at a disadvantage at not being able to build high status chance on their weapons. The problem with content based games is that eventually players lose interest and move on if grinding for the same items, but are also limited/not willing to pay what is essentially a new game for the items that are not available via grinding.  Like all game companies that have a high content based game, the balance of making money and constantly adding new content to keep new and old players happy is very difficult.  

You just used two different concepts in the same sentence that are not related.  I do not see how a "rip off" is possible in warframe at all... Like, literally, it seems impossible, because you cannot lie to another person about what you are trading to them. The game outright outright lists everything on the table in an unambiguous way and asks "Are you sure?"  There is no way to pretend to offer a valuable rare item but substitute it with a cheap common one because that would show up on the trading manifest.  Unless you're not READING the message before clicking okay?  In which case that's your fault, not the game's. You may not agree with a price of 150p for a mod, but again: somebody probably does and pays it without complaint. It's not the seller's fault for accepting the highest price that somebody will give them.

Supply and demand, on the other hand, is real. Dual stat mods are expensive because demand is extreme and supply is low. But the market will still be saturated because there is now a location to farm those things and you only need one (well, two if you're giving one to sentinel). Give it two or three months and they will be selling for 20 max. If you don't like having to wait to get a cheap price on event rewards, then play the events. I see no problem with rewarding long time players with a limited form of "timed exclusivity" on mods.  Do you go into other games and complain that everybody who has been around for years has stuff that you don't?

You just used two different concepts in the same sentence that are not related.  I do not see how a "rip off" is possible in warframe at all... Like, literally, it seems impossible, because you cannot lie to another person about what you are trading to them. The game outright outright lists everything on the table in an unambiguous way and asks "Are you sure?"  There is no way to pretend to offer a valuable rare item but substitute it with a cheap common one because that would show up on the trading manifest.  Unless you're not READING the message before clicking okay?  In which case that's your fault, not the game's. You may not agree with a price of 150p for a mod, but again: somebody probably does and pays it without complaint. It's not the seller's fault for accepting the highest price that somebody will give them.

Supply and demand, on the other hand, is real. Dual stat mods are expensive because demand is extreme and supply is low. But the market will still be saturated because there is now a location to farm those things and you only need one (well, two if you're giving one to sentinel). Give it two or three months and they will be selling for 20 max. If you don't like having to wait to get a cheap price on event rewards, then play the events. I see no problem with rewarding long time players with a limited form of "timed exclusivity" on mods.  Do you go into other games and complain that everybody who has been around for years has stuff that you don't?

Rip off meaning its very expensive. Maybe you've never heard of that expression. 

As I clearly stated, items are all about supply and demand but that doesn't mean for example event mods should not be introduced. (As far as I know, the electric dual stat mods are not available or slash mods from the spy missions which is what I presume you are referring to?

Of course, exclusive items given to founders should not be introduced to newer players as that would defy the point of being a founder. 

As you've clearly missed the point, saying you should have played the event is frankly stupid because they were not playing the game at the time of the event.  

As you've clearly missed the point, saying you should have played the event is frankly stupid because they were not playing the game at the time of the event.  

...and as a result they must either do without or be willing to engage the marketplace.

This is not actually a problem.