Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino Vs Chroma

gloryknightTcc

I definately love the look of Rhino, that is why I play as him so much. (especially prime) But when it comes to skills and stats, Chroma beats him pretty hard when it comes to being tanky. Sure, at low - mid levels Rhino is god but chroma's ver armor and Ward are still viable in High tier/lvl play (not to mention that I also stil like the looks of chroma)

They should do something with Rhino tbh. Not the skills, as they are pretty decent/fine (charge good for distance/ roar for team buff/ Stomp for cc, they are all pretty decent/good) If he could just have a higher health pool and more armor then he would be pretty good (especially with the charge augment for armor buff, though that needs higher duration for it to effectivly work)

Most people I see with rhinos have the vanguard helmet, and every single mobility mod they can fit on with an orthos prime equipped so they can copter around the map 15 times in like 6 seconds. I forget where I was going with that, but I for one fully support our newly added twizzler wrapped anteater overlords.

Think the current trend seems to be shifting from passive (abilities/mods) into active ones.

Rhino being a representative of passive tank, while Chroma is more active.

And there IS still one advantage Rhino has: iron skin is a no-brainer to use.

And iron skin is still one of the best CC avoidance skills for cheap.

Ya Chroma has CC avoidance.... with Spectral Scream.

But that is so bad that I can't even fathom what to do with this.

rhino has always been just a support buffer, anyone who uses him as a tank is a moron, i cant wait for chroma.

or actually knows how to use Rhino, been playing Rhino almost 2 years largely exclusively (i have 3-4x+ the hours on him vs any other frame)

Both are tanky as all hell but work differently

Rhino is all about regenerative health pools and swapping your pools actively

I.E Using Iron Skin as a Shield 1 that you can when built right keep up near constantly, when IS goes down you have a 1k buffer with Shields/Shield 2, then when that goes down you have 700-800hp and when combine with Rage/Rejuv a single hit can then get you enough energy to pop IS again which then Allows you to regenerate your health and shield and start the process again. Stomp is also awesome for a temporary pause to combat allowing you to revive a ally, and roar allowing for a good temp dmg boost to you and allys.

Chroma on the other hand is a tank relying on his armor +dmg vs 3 large regen pools

I.E Fire chroma with steel+85% power str vex can have around 3-3.5k armor (idk exact # atm) which gives him a good 90-95% reduction in dmg, now combine that with the fact that he can have a good amount of shields he essentially got good bits from both Rhino and valkyr. Using fire ward with rejuv you can keep yours health up consistently, then vex with the high mitigation allows you to not just survive but gain substantial dmg boost. Using effigy right will allow for some CC when you need to revive a downed ally.

Chroma and Rhino are both tanky and when used properly fantastic, problem is people dont know how.

TLDR

They work differently

Rhino tanks based on Regen health pools

Chroma Tanks based on mitigation + dmg output

Rhino has better CC resistance and chroma has higher DMG.

Edited by Echoa

Here's the thing....

Lets set aside skill level/style/and weapons.

Rhino, on his own, doesn't scale very well in high tier missions like T4 Survival passed 40 minutes. Iron Skin can only block so much and, even with Natural talent, there's a window of vulnerability. Unlike Valkyr, she essentially as a really long invincibility frame (invincibility as in can't take damage, not invisibility like Loki's... well... invisibility) to recover lost health. Rhino has CC, a buff, and a gap-closer/mobility+damage, but we got frames like Nova, Mirage, and Mesa who scale much better.

Chroma, on his own, is pretty much the kind of frame you'd take as a Swiss-army knife. His usability is questionable for Draco/Stephano rep/exp farm, but Rhino is replaceable. And Chroma's the type who's just ASKING to get hit so he has an excuse to hit you harder. He's like the Brock Lesnar of Warframe. -Edit- Yeah, Effigy is pretty much a CC skill in a away. But it doesn't work as effectively as Rhino's CC, but then we got Nova, Nyx, Excalibur, Loki, Zephyr, Vauban and a set of others who can and would do better CC than both Chroma and Rhino combined.

So... yeah... Iron Skin<Vex Armor. Not to mention that Ice Chroma is pretty much an anti-bombard buff with Elemental Ward.

This may just be an apples to oranges comparison to be honest. But if we really wanna compare apples to oranges, some would prefer an apple because you don't have to peel it to eat it.

Edited by styxonfire

Fus-ro-dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

...nuf said.

Not really. I love Chroma, and to me Chroma does look badass. But you can't beat that Rhino's smooth and sturdy looks either. Well, actually they are different sort in aesthetics-wise, not necessary one looks better than the other. Also, I'll take that golden skin and hulk-smash Stomp anytime.

I feel that Chroma is what Rhino should've been, a bruiser that provides a wide arrangement of buffs and support.

The only buff Chroma has is Elemental Ward. And this is a very small buff which only is in effect, when you are pretty close to him. Rhino buffs better than Chroma.

Chroma wins in survivability though.

I've Always Loved My Rhino, Built For Armor  And "Looks"

Now, Its Beaten By A Mage Named Chroma, And Chroma's Armor Has Almost

Doubled Rhino's, I Really Liked Rhino For The Armor, Being The "Intentional" Best

Armored Warframe In The Game! Yes I Know Valkyr Had More Armor, But It Was

Unintentional, Is Anyone Having The Feeling I'm Having?

This Makes Me Sad. :(

Tell Me What You Think In The Comments!

~The Person Who Wrote This

Valk was intentional.  You are looking at it too open ended.

Rhino is still THE tank class.  He can have his extra armor at any time and has a little CC.

Valk is a tanky class.  But has no direct CC for team.  She is a glass cannon.  more about power thirst then actual tanking.  She's about gaining massive damage through taking massive damage.  Her invulnerability is just a side effect.

Chroma is also a tanky class. But he borrows from both valk and rhino.  He's taking the CC from rhino and the glass cannon effect from valk to become a team orientated tank class.

Chorma can get so tanky with armor mods and str mods with vex

So tanky? do you guys really think chroma is a tank cause of armor and that chroma scales better than rhino?

6k+ armor is actually good only against mid level enemies (60 or less). a group of enemies over lvl 60 will always take you down anyways. yes even with ragethinkigflow, and pretty fast.

Also if the power ends with your shields totally down, recasting it wont help at all cause it wont increase you armor again.

Chroma on vex armor is AS tanky AS mesa with her shield. its the same 95% damage reduction. just with slightly better stast for the rest... but definitely not giving you a chance against of a group of high leveled enemies.

As i concer a tank it has to scale well with enemies, and armor doesnt. For endless missions the only tank is valkyr under hysteria, and yet not so useful for the party. For non endless mission actually no tank is needed, cause 300 shield 200 life warframes can survive easily if you put a bit of effort. that said in those mission rhino with power strenght build is as tanky as chroma... dont think one is actually better against mid level enemies.

So tanky? do you guys really think chroma is a tank cause of armor and that chroma scales better than rhino?

6k+ armor is actually good only against mid level enemies (60 or less). a group of enemies over lvl 60 will always take you down anyways. yes even with ragethinkigflow, and pretty fast.

Also if the power ends with your shields totally down, recasting it wont help at all cause it wont increase you armor again.

Chroma on vex armor is AS tanky AS mesa with her shield. its the same 95% damage reduction. just with slightly better stast for the rest... but definitely not giving you a chance against of a group of high leveled enemies.

As i concer a tank it has to scale well with enemies, and armor doesnt. For endless missions the only tank is valkyr under hysteria, and yet not so useful for the party. For non endless mission actually no tank is needed, cause 300 shield 200 life warframes can survive easily if you put a bit of effort. that said in those mission rhino with power strenght build is as tanky as chroma... dont think one is actually better against mid level enemies.

Yeah except for the fact that when Mesa does get hit, shes 1 shot whereas Chroma just takes 40 damage from level 80+ enemies which, by the way, are deep into endgame at the current state of the game.

i cant understand how this garbage chroma can even be compared to rhino, i wasted my time and materials to build chroma, the most useless ugly infested zombie ever... in this game i can play just as rhino or ash... and maybe some other few, cause most of other frames are ugly x 999999 , i dont even get it why so many uncool frame designs... arent warframes suposed to be costumes for war?

Yeah except for the fact that when Mesa does get hit, shes 1 shot whereas Chroma just takes 40 damage from level 80+ enemies which, by the way, are deep into endgame at the current state of the game.

lvl 80 enemies are 1h of t4 survival. endgame is going out of endless missions when i decide to.

Anyways chroma max armor build does barely nothing other than resisting better than others, a good buff to your weapon, thats it.

so really no point using chroma over valkyr that is literally invulnerable.

Also as said before, vex armor is totally useless with shields down. if with a valk you just have to find the spot of half second for casting hysteria and not dying meanwhile, with chroma you also need time for restoring shields and its pretty long with level 80 around.

And to be honest i think valkyr herself is pretty crappy. Chroma is just a stric downgrade, but im having fun with... but thats all

of course you probably wont play alone in such hard tier missions, but still, there's no point bringing chroma when he makes zero team play.

Edited by JohnKable

i cant understand how this garbage chroma can even be compared to rhino, i wasted my time and materials to build chroma, the most useless ugly infested zombie ever... in this game i can play just as rhino or ash... and maybe some other few, cause most of other frames are ugly x 999999 , i dont even get it why so many uncool frame designs... arent warframes suposed to be costumes for war?

Oboi.

lvl 80 enemies are 1h of t4 survival. endgame is going out of endless missions when i decide to.

Anyways chroma max armor build does barely nothing other than resisting better than others, a good buff to your weapon, thats it.

so really no point using chroma over valkyr that is literally invulnerable.

Also as said before, vex armor is totally useless with shields down. if with a valk you just have to find the spot of half second for casting hysteria and not dying meanwhile, with chroma you also need time for restoring shields and its pretty long with level 80 around.

And to be honest i think valkyr herself is pretty crappy. Chroma is just a stric downgrade, but im having fun with... but thats all

of course you probably wont play alone in such hard tier missions, but still, there's no point bringing chroma when he makes zero team play.

1)  Valk's hystaria removes your ability to do anything other then melee.  With chroma's tanky skills he still has access to his guns which is a huge bump.  Valk's hystaria drops damage wise in the unbalanced content quickly.  Unless you run both max intensify and max blind rage.  Which most people don't even have.

2)  Chroma brings more team help with his ability then valk.  She has no CC and the only team help is warcry.  Which if you were going max power strength to save her damage drop off warcry won't be able to effect your friends unless they hugged you and followed you around the map.  Chroma's team buffs may not be as amazing as other frames.  But he certainly brings more help to the team then valk does.

1)  Valk's hystaria removes your ability to do anything other then melee.  With chroma's tanky skills he still has access to his guns which is a huge bump.  Valk's hystaria drops damage wise in the unbalanced content quickly.  Unless you run both max intensify and max blind rage.  Which most people don't even have.

2)  Chroma brings more team help with his ability then valk.  She has no CC and the only team help is warcry.  Which if you were going max power strength to save her damage drop off warcry won't be able to effect your friends unless they hugged you and followed you around the map.  Chroma's team buffs may not be as amazing as other frames.  But he certainly brings more help to the team then valk does.

well valkyr does decent damage with maxed blindrage, chroma either needs alot of maxed mods to grow insane armor we are talking about. it scales ok with mods not maxed, but also does hysteria... i mean they both dont loose much with mods at 8 intead of 10.

valkyr can ress teammates in the worst situations and a skilled valkyr player will go around taking aggro from most enemies possible. warcry buff is S#&$ty, also are chroma's buffs. nobody in team is gonna rely on one or the other.

Also considering narrowmind is required if you want a decent duration (on both)

the difference i see is that chroma has a damage boost on itself, but is gonna suffer damage soon or later.and cant find the spot for recasting vex armor when stuck in large groups of enemies.

Valkyr has a totally different damage output (far inferior) and will melee only. But its 100% immortal with al benefits. longer duration and you just need to find a 1 second spot to cast hysteria and keep running around.

I mean, they are both S#&$ty for teamwork, and probably S#&$ty all around.  and my thought is: if i dont bring valkyr, thats actually immortal, why should i bring chroma that is gonna have an hard time late on the mission?

cause it will kill something more? 

and seriously you wont have troubles killing till lvl 80+ (with auras 180+) where chroma's higher damage output will become more valuable but his survival will become harder and harder....

Just for clearance, i have both. potatoed and formas, and like chroma much more. but still cant how he's supposed to be a better tank than valkyr or more useful than rhino.

Edited by JohnKable

well valkyr does decent damage with maxed blindrage, chroma either needs alot of maxed mods to grow insane armor we are talking about. it scales ok with mods not maxed, but also does hysteria... i mean they both dont loose much with mods at 8 intead of 10.

valkyr can ress teammates in the worst situations and a skilled valkyr player will go around taking aggro from most enemies possible. warcry buff is S#&$ty, also are chroma's buffs. nobody in team is gonna rely on one or the other.

the difference i see is that chroma has a damage boost on itself, but is gonna suffer damage soon or later.and cant find the spot for recasting vex armor when stuck in large groups of enemies.

Valkyr has a totally different damage output (far inferior) and will melee only. But its 100% immortal with al benefits. longer duration and you just need to find a 1 second spot to cast hysteria and keep running around.

I mean, they are both S#&$ty for teamwork, and probably S#&$ty all around.  and my thought is: if i dont bring valkyr, thats actually immortal, why should i bring chroma that is gonna have an hard time late on the mission?

and seriously you wont have troubles killing till lvl 80+ (with auras 180+) where chroma's higher damage output will become more valuable but his survival will become harder and harder....

Just for clearance, i have both. potatoed and formas, and like chroma much more. but still cant how he's supposed to be a better tank than valkyr or more useful than rhino.

If Aggro mechanics worked better I might agree about valk being more team helpful.  But as it stands to me the only thing she's good at without spending a ton of fusions and cash for the maxed blind rage is resing.  and If you are playing with a good team that shouldn't be a needed skill.

I am on console so I don't have chroma.  And I haven't looked into any builds yet.  As i'm guessing it's going to take a month for the community to come up with a well recognized good chroma build.  But chroma gets all of the bonuses from his weapons as well as vex armor.  Which to me seems more of a benefit then spamming hystaria because it limits you both range wise team help wise and damage wise just for the sake of around a minute of no death.

Don't get me wrong.  I love my valk.  And she's still my fav frame.  I just can't see how she'd bring more to the table team help wise compared to chroma.  Chroma gets inate boosts from vex armor.  Another boost from elemental ward which helps friendlies DIRECTLY and he can still use his weapons which benefit from his boosts.

Speaking of tanks, go tank level 80 Bombard with Iron Skin and tell me how that went. Concept of tanking in Warframe isnt working, everything is based around movement. Only frames that could tank were old Iron Skin Rhino and old Blessing Trinity, even old  Decoy Loki.

Point of tanking is that you take damage from mobs instead of other teammates, and that isnt working in Warframe. Mobs attack nearest player, and will completely ignore you on a whim.

Also, Rhino is mid tier frame, his damage boost is decent tho nowhere near when compared with Resonance Banshee or Slowpoke Nova. His stun is somewhat spammable, but you have better frames for aoe control.

Speaking of tanks, go tank level 80 Bombard with Iron Skin and tell me how that went. Concept of tanking in Warframe isnt working, everything is based around movement. Only frames that could tank were old Iron Skin Rhino and old Blessing Trinity, even old  Decoy Loki.

Point of tanking is that you take damage from mobs instead of other teammates, and that isnt working in Warframe. Mobs attack nearest player, and will completely ignore you on a whim.

Also, Rhino is mid tier frame, his damage boost is decent tho nowhere near when compared with Resonance Banshee or Slowpoke Nova. His stun is somewhat spammable, but you have better frames for aoe control.

Corrupt Mods make everything end game though.

Having a Rhino Prime with 2400 Iron Skin is pretty helpful in tanking the level 80 Bombards. Rhino will last longer than the other frames if not just as long as Valkyr.

But gosh Valkyr is just invincible but fortunately for Rhino he has Roar+Rhino Stomp. Both are also affected by power strength like Iron Skin. So say you have 97% power strength with maxed efficiency. You could spam it all day and break everything which makes Rhino close to end game but not quite there yet. But since it isn't quite there yet he would provide a good challenge end game requiring more skill than Loki. ;P

Who just spams disarm and stays invisible.

Edited by Zarozian

Corrupt Mods make everything end game though.

Having a Rhino Prime with 2400 Iron Skin is pretty helpful in tanking the level 80 Bombards. Rhino will last longer than the other frames if not just as long as Valkyr.

But gosh Valkyr is just invincible but fortunately for Rhino he has Roar+Rhino Stomp. 

My point was that tanks dont work in this game. Yes you have highest survivability, but you can stay alive even longer if you make Ash and Loki duration builds.

Valk was intentional.  You are looking at it too open ended.

Rhino is still THE tank class.  He can have his extra armor at any time and has a little CC.

Valk is a tanky class.  But has no direct CC for team.  She is a glass cannon.  more about power thirst then actual tanking.  She's about gaining massive damage through taking massive damage.  Her invulnerability is just a side effect.

Chroma is also a tanky class. But he borrows from both valk and rhino.  He's taking the CC from rhino and the glass cannon effect from valk to become a team orientated tank class.

Do you even know what a glass cannon is? Glass cannons are squishy builds for the sole purpose of dealing out damage.(See: Nova)

Valkyr is NOT a glass cannon. She IS a tank. Damage mitigation is the name of her game. She gains no damage increase from soaking up blows.

Chroma is a Tank.

He is designed to be tanky, I believe that was how DE was also describing him.

And high amounts of armor is a sign of tanks, and it doesn't matter that armor doesn't scale very well into late game as that's just an issue with needing tweaks, but it works plenty fine up to that point as a tank.

Chroma just has a lot more options than Rhino.