Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Keeps You Playing?

(PSN)Gerotic

the progression

Its slow, and not straightforward. If this was a regular "to get more powerful, just earn more XP" kind of game, i probably would've dropped it a long time ago. I fell in love with the fact that i ranked to 30 fast- then had to figure out on my own what i needed to do to increase my power and effectiveness. I could get more weapons, go after more mods, forma my frame, forma my weapons, get a new frame- etc. 

Playing WF feels like tuning a hobby car. Thats what i find addicting about it. The constant updates spark ideas of "wow, maybe this will make me better at X". I want to make my WF as powerful as it can be, but at the same time i dont want it HANDED to me. I want to feel like ive earned it through the choices ive made and skills ive learned.

Somewhere between the lore, the general aesthetic, fact it's fairly fun to just go blow stuff up however you see fit...and an extremely good crash course in 'things you need to think about when setting up a game environment'.

I may not enjoy being a Gamesmaster, but so long as I'm here and able to see/experience the issues with balancing and what not that go on, I can use these lessons to hopefully be more capable a Gamemaster if I ever set up a roleplay group again. Much as I'd rather play in a Role Play Group, it's important to understand how and why things work, and why it's bad when things fall through. Especially when considering my DIY approach to critters and events for such scenarios.

How powerful is too much? How weak is too weak? How far do you want to go? Where are the rails, where aren't the rails? Is there hard or weak progression, how do you factor story...Why is this broken and unfun, but not this? Why is this fun, but not used much? All the kind of questions I ask when I mill about really.

Warframe is a nicely accessible means to seeing these questions being addressed in effectively real time. I enjoy what the Devs do and I'm not afraid to take advantage of arguably free lessons in these sort of things.

Apologies if this comes across a lot more harshly than I intend it to.

Edited by Blakrana

Movement.

I've taken a lot of time to master the mechanics of the game, especially on the melee side, and it's made the game much more fun. I've levelled all the weapons and frames that I like, and now I spend time just playing through the star chart or void missions and practicing new ways to kill the enemies. I have really practiced my ninja skills. I know the exact speed and distance I need to be to perform a flip jump to ground slam - one of my favorite moves. I know the exact speed and distance I need to be to perform a sliding slash attack. I know exactly how far off a wall I need to be to perform a wall slam. Once I've mastered these abilites I can chain them together and go on crazy ninja rampage. I have rarely, if ever seen another warframe player utilize the parkour as much as I do, mostly because it's clunky and not intuitive, but if you have too many hours to kill and enough practice, you will start to show signs of "skill" in the movement sense.

One scenario might be this: Playing Ash, teleport to enemy 1, finisher animation, pull out my akmagnus with 23 in the mag and empty it out as fast as I can fire, start a sprint and wall run, throw a shuriken, jump off the wall, copter in midair, then ground slam into a group of enemies, knocking them down. After I finish them I start to sprint, then do a jump flip to ground slam on the next group knocking themn down, and then before they get up I run up the wall, do a backflip, and do another ground slam to finish them off. Teleport to next enemy.

And that's just one of the ways to use the movement to improve your experience. I really think if DE has a movement 2.0 there would be a resurrection of old players, and new players would have twice the fun. Look at what melee 2.0 did for the game.

I play because mowing down waves of idiotic enemies with some friends is far more relaxing than getting yelled at in League.  The older I get, the less strife I want in my gaming, and just some relaxing fun.

Yeah having to deal with rage quitter, toxic and bad players is not my thing. 

Most definitely my friends who play. The guy who introduced me to Warframe has 900+ hours and I'm getting up there myself. He's a great mentor and he often takes me on runs in higher level areas to get me neat stuff, though we usually set our squad to friends only when we do that since he sometimes needs to carry me depending on the mission. I actually rarely play the game unless one of my friends is online to play with. It's not as fun playing with random strangers or alone.