The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kubrows Need More Love!

LunarFlower

A couple of 'coming soon' things here:

- We're experimenting with giving Kubrows their own Sanctuary mod - if things go well it'll happen sooner rather than later.

- Daily DNA Detox limits will be removed (no more 'you've reached your daily limit of DNA Detoxifiers'). This means you can catch up faster on healing them if you've missed a couple days or more instead of relogging in the next day just to heal, and so forth.

Ongoing topics of discussion:

- Stasis Sickness.

A brief update from the desk of Kubrow.

I don't see how removing the dna limits is going to make people want to use kubrows anymore. Even with a sanctuary type mod, carrier will still probably be the preferred companion. They're just credit sinks, I would rather have armor for them or claw weapons of some sort.

That, or a bow tie with a vest and a minigun that can be mounted on their backs.

New armors needs to be added.

With new armors things like vacum addition onto the armor should be added.

Statis sickness needs to be GONE, this is a really dumb thing in this game and I can't think of one single good reason for it.  I never use any other kubs nor do i make more because of this, stupid.

Also if a kub is about to die it should be automatically be put into statis, then a few days lockout of status sickness should be applied as punishment.

Edited by Spindle99

As someone said:

We are god damn Space Ninjas.

We build high tech weapons in our foundry from stuff that most of the time does not even make sense (Nano Spores and Plastids used as a crafting material) but we can't fix the DNA of our pets?

I don't want to take care of a Tamagotchi inbetween missions

No Kubrow should ever die. Hybernation and very high awakening costs would seem like enough motivation to keep it alive and ready to action.

This!

make them unuseable until their DNA has been repaired

Have us fly in a space Vet to patch them up for a few credits and some resources instead of them dieing.

I would humbly request that you reverse the order of DNA stabilization loss and Loyalty loss

Have the DNA Stabalization loss occur if the Kubrow dies on a mission and is not revived.

Have loyalty Loss occur on a daily basis.

This way people who look after their Kubrows won't have to pay through the nose for their upkeep, only pay for deaths. Oh, and I'll take mine out of stasis.

This post needs more attention from DE. Not only is it a lot more palatable for the players, it makes a lot of sense and it keeps items already implemented in play, just changes the priority of them.

Loyalty decaying every day can be recovered with attention (i.e. puppy playtime), and it would make sense: dogs that get no attention are depressed dogs. But "DNA deterioration" doesn't make sense when they're just sitting in the ship. These aren't cloned dogs; these are merely enhanced dogs. They were hatched from actual kubrow eggs; DNA deterioration shouldn't cause them to die. At worst, it should just cause them to regress into a feral kubrow, which would require an injection to restore their mental state, NOT death.

Also, it makes a lot more sense for them to lose DNA integrity if they fall and aren't revived in combat, as if they were actually temporarily dead and suffered cerebral damage. That makes a lot more sense than their bodies just falling apart overnight when they're just in a sterile ship environment.

So, yes, repeating the quoted post:

Reverse loyalty and DNA decay. Loyalty should decay everyday (puppies need love), while DNA should remain stable; DNA should decay only AFTER a kubrow dies in combat, and kubrows should never die as a result of total DNA deterioration: it should just cause them to regress into unusable feral kubrows, which could be recovered by DNA detox.

Edited by Endrian

glou glou

I told everywhere about an addition that would make them as reliable as a player could wish :

Have you considered adding COMMANDS to them?

Simple orders : "go there","stay here", "get this foe first", "enter in a stealth mode and follow me close"....

This makes so much sense! I was astonished they didn't bring this at release...

dogsofwar.jpg

Edited by unknow99

Going to go one step further than the people asking for adjustments to DNA stabilisation and straight out say that it needs to be removed, along with death penalties and stasis sickness. Hell, people might go as far as to actually use Kubrows in missions if this was to happen (bit of a big claim but go with it) and we'll start seeing feedback on what exactly needs to be done with them. As they stand now, Kubrows are nothing more than a forgotten project and an empty incubator in the corner of the liset.

Edited by Cybernetix

Two things I'd like:

1) Being able to freely change Kubrows. I have three Kubrows, but can only use one. I'd like to take different Kubrows for different type of missions, but it's just not possible.

2) I wish Kubrow couldn't die permanently. Maybe Ordis should put it in a stasis once it reaches 10%. I like my Kubrows, but I hesitate to install a reactor in them because they can die permanently.

All of these suggested changes are great ideas, I have full trust in time DE will get to doing a lot of new things needed for the Kubrows. We must be patient.

And if I may add to this thread, I would love to see more customization such as per this thread of mine - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/357017-kubrow-customization-concepts-artwork-included-update-febuary82015/

- We're experimenting with giving Kubrows their own Sanctuary mod - if things go well it'll happen sooner rather than later.

- Daily DNA Detox limits will be removed (no more 'you've reached your daily limit of DNA Detoxifiers'). This means you can catch up faster on healing them if you've missed a couple days or more instead of relogging in the next day just to heal, and so forth.

- Stasis Sickness.

What about just remove the DNA deterioration so they could finally be at the same level of sentinels? There really is no point in picking up a Kubrow when a Sentinel can do the same things (even better) and doesn't need that kind of 'attentions'.

Kubrows are fine, Link mods allow them to be really usefull (although Sentinels have more usefull precepts in common, like Guardian, Sanctuary and so on, that Kubrows don't have) but the most big problem with them is that DNA deterioration. 

Once a player claim it's Kubrow, it's a never ending effort and it really costs too much.

Edited by Latronico

We should get the ability to give commands to our Kubrows just like how people can give orders to their dogs in real life. Like 'stay' to guard positions, 'fetch' to separate itself from the player in order to pickup health/energy orbs/mods for the players from fallen enemies, or maybe even commanding them whether or not they should head out to attack enemies or remain by the player's side.

Commands are coming in the future, so Soon. I know this because I submitted the question to a Dev stream and that was the answer.

Along with a lot of great ideas in this thread, one more idea for you to debate; A Hunter frame that allows you to use two or three of your Kubrows in missions...all at one time. His skills would be direct commands to his pack of hunting Kubrows along with damage buffs and heals.

Seriously just remove stasis wait time and the dna nonsense. BAM! Kubrows are 1000000% better.

I never understood why they even require an upkeep.

Yeah, yeah "lore", but your ship doesn't need an upkeep (as it flies thru space getting hit by rocks and what not).  Your guns don't need upkeep (as some mechanically fire bullets), even after hundreds of in-game hours of use.  Your Warframes don't require upkeep (despite potentially being damaged during every mission).

It just seems like a very artificial restriction, and is apparently highly demotivating to their use for a number of players.

The number of actual PUGs i see using a Kubrow is very low.

A lot of Warframe is gamey, in the sense of upkeep vs realism, so keeping the current implementation of Kubrows seems bizarrely stubborn to me.

- Stasis Sickness.

Change in that would be good. All of my doggies are in the fridge because of stasis sickness. I don't have the time to wait 3h just to de-frost them, and paying plat for this is just a pain. 

There is no real reason to hinder them with this, because they actually don't have any big advantage over standard sentinels. Normal sentinels are more useful and easier to swap. 

I do love the concept, but Kubrows are more like a "novelty" than enything else.

Seriously just remove stasis wait time and the dna nonsense. BAM! Kubrows are 1000000% better.

The ability to preview Kubrows in stasis would be great too. Also the ones that are equipped with potatoes/forma etc.

Right now its a waiting game because i can't remember which kubrow of mine is potatoed or not OR what they look like. And what's up with paying credits to essentially leave your cage gate open? (consign) i also hope the stasis sickness thing is a joke. They're high maintenance enough already. :/

I think a couple of things we are waiting for is:

- Kubrow armour

- Ways to change how a Kubrow fights, IE runs off, stays close, fights aggressively or defensively, and If possible a system to choose what enemy types a Kubrow will prioritise targetting.

- A more long term solution to DNA degradation, IE able to set automatic stasis and/or automatic stabiliser usage.

- Making a system where the Kubrow avoids your line of sight unless actively attacking an enemy (IE doesn't stand in front of you while you're trying to shoot).

- Allowing us to damage an enemy that is being held by the Kubrow. - Kind of defeats the purpose if the enemy is invincible to you while your Kubrow is holding them.

^

I never understood why they even require an upkeep.

Yeah, yeah "lore", but your ship doesn't need an upkeep (as it flies thru space getting hit by rocks and what not).  Your guns don't need upkeep (as some mechanically fire bullets), even after hundreds of in-game hours of use.  Your Warframes don't require upkeep (despite potentially being damaged during every mission).

It just seems like a very artificial restriction, and is apparently highly demotivating to their use for a number of players.

The number of actual PUGs i see using a Kubrow is very low.

A lot of Warframe is gamey, in the sense of upkeep vs realism, so keeping the current implementation of Kubrows seems bizarrely stubborn to me.

Yeah, you (And DE) should watch Extra Credits. It's a great series on youtube that talks a lot about game design. They have an episode that talks specifically about why punishing a player for not spending as much time as possible in the game is bad design.

It's so sad to see so many good sources in the internet that actually teach you about what's good and what's not in game making, and why, while most game companies out there blatantly spew out new content on a regular basis that clearly shows they have no clue what they're doing...

- Stasis Sickness.

I have literally never seen anyone ask for de to remove the detox limit, anyone, I've seen plenty request the dna deterioration be done away with as the crap system it is, but nothing about being able to spam dna detoxers. so why? the community has an issue with the upkeep cost for kurbrows and the regular attention they need to be operable, this does nothing to remedy those issues. 

Edited by Cubewano

I want to pet my kubrow as manny times as i want damnit!

Has DE ever owned a dog? Seriously some days i would play for an hour with our dog!

Edit: O thats not what was meant by love...

I agree. But I don't want to just 'pet' the dog, I want to get tackled by it, and licked in the face, and to play fetch with it on an un-inhabited area of Earth.

And, also, make it so it doesn't die so much, but that costs creds. Sorry pup.

If DE would rather keep the DNA deterioration on Kubrows, i think it should take an entire month or two for our pet to die. I feel like they rot away a little too fast and this way it would give players plenty of time to gather credits passively and use a stabilizer.

The rate should be every 24 hours makes it lose 1.5% or 2% of it's DNA integrity instead of 10%. It gives players close to 2 months to take care of it while keeping it more pet-like.

I hope someone sees this and considers it. Oh and will we see our kubrows roaming the Liset again anytime soon?

I love the idea of more colors and patterns. 

I'm really hoping that stasis sickness would be in place of the cool down period. If that is the case I will be putting reactors on the rest and forma-ing away. Will be such a great day when I can trade between kubrows as I change mission types. 

I would also love to give Marv wings - cant wait for companions in space if there is a way to work this out. 

Kubrow version of Sanctuary will be awesome. I also wish there was a mod like Guardian for all of them, but I realize this is unlikely since that is one of the Raksa's abilities. :(

Also excited for the armor that has been talked about on the Dev streams. I bet it is a huge task to make it fit all the shapes and heights, so I can understand why it is taking so long. 

Finally, I would love the ability to give them some simple commands. Would be so nice to have some sort of command to make them stay right next to you or to be able to mark a specific enemy for them to attack or to be able to mark an ally they need to protect. Though I would be very happy if only the first command to stay next to you was possible. 

- Stasis Sickness.

Can you please make the DNA thing then restore 10% or 20% health instead of 40%?  Adjusting the market price accordingly obviously.

I hate being the in spot where my kubrow is at 80% with the two bad options of using a 40% restore wasting half of it or waiting two more days for the kubrow to hit 60% health.

Please, please remove sickness.  I swap all my gear from mission to mission and not being able to do the same with my kubrow only means I use them less than I would like.  Each breed doesn't have the same synergy with every frame and mission type.

I'd still like to see the DNA NOT degrade after a certain amount of stabilizers. I mean, after a while they're so pumped full of stabilizing juice maybe they can actually heal and not be sick anymore.

Aside from cosmetics I'd like to see more personality added to them. Like a frame has a stance, a kubrow should be assigned an attitude. Agressive, shy, playful, curious..... that'd be more fun and more personal.

I love my kubrows, but they're all on ice right now since I haven't been playing daily and I don't want them to die. To be able to switch out companions like a sentinel would also be much appreciated. No real good reason for the stasis thing, hopefully something will be worked out.

Edited by (PS4)Folkeye

- Stasis Sickness.

This is the amazing "rework" kubrows gonna get? lololol

It's like ppl are starving, and they trow crumbs at our feet.

This is the same as the archwing getting a suction effect for drops, a continuous meaningless "upgrades" to bad stuff.

Disappointing, thats why I ignored kubrows, and I shall keep ignoring them.