The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It Just Hit Me: How Do We Always Get Back To The Same Orbiter No Matter What Planet We're Orbiting?

Morec0

I mean, the loading screen doesn't have it going with us, but somehow we always wind up back at the same orbiter no matter where we are. The same arsenal, the same ship.

This isn't going to have a theory on my part 'cause I really don't know and don't feel like thinking, it just struck me and I thought I'd poke the water with the thought.

1.the orbiter is in the void, meaning the little spy ship just opens a portal thingy and go into the void or

2.we go to that planet first with the Orbiter then go to the mission in our little spy ship

1 of these 2 i think it is

Edited by BabyKurama

The loading screen shows you going from the orbiter to wherever the mission is. The orbiter first goes to the planet/moon, but since it goes at superluminous speed you don't see it. The liset is a sublight vessel.

Space is vast beyond imagining. Literally bigger than you can imagine. Try Kerbal Space program and then realize the real solar system that Warframe takes place in is 10 times bigger still.

Well if you listen to the cube thing  he says " i will always protect you,i will keep you hidden in the void"  and sometimes b4 you do anything when you log ur like near earth or other planets 

Edited by (PS4)IIIDevoidIII
Language

I always imagined we traveled by orbiter to nearby the planet (but still kept a distance where we couldn't be picked up) and then released the liset for stealth infiltration. The loading screens are simply showing the lisets as they are approaching the planet after departing from the liset, and at the end their returning to the orbiter (but we never get to the docking portion of that act). Outside the transition scenes to the planets (which is a remarkably brief travel as to the local scale of jumping from one system to another) we are almost always connected and traveling via orbiter, it just doesn't get much notice since it is still an incomplete mechanic. 

Some animations are missing, but heres how: The Orbiter creates a Void Portal to the designated location. There, the Liset undocks and drops you off. At the end of the mission, the Liset re-docks with the Orbiter and the Orbiter uses the Void to mask it's presence. It's kindof like a one-way mirror: you can look through it from one side, but the Orbiter is invisible from the 'normal' side.

The Liset is a likely short range Infiltration Unit. It is, ultimately, explicitly designed for incursions towards and behind enemy lines.

The Orbiter, by comparison, is a measure of 'personal headquarters'. Really, the Orbiter system is a glorified storage system to allow a Tenno operational flexibility in deployment, without having to strain to make a more stealthy ship with massive massive problems of off loading items and gear.

By rights, I imagine that the Orbiter is docked with by the Liset, and either via installed Void Engines or piggy backing off of Solar Rails, a Tenno operative 'hops' to the operational sector en-route. It's where the more serious engines can be held, whilst the Tenno can neatly access/prepare for their mission via the Orbiter compartment and the very simple systems there.

The loading screen, then, is the 'after orbiter arrived and Liset has disengaged'. Returning to the Orbiter is a matter of simply perhaps retrieving it from the Void for docking purposes, before engaging the full ship's stealth functions so we can just sit and literally pass right by Grineer Galleons. I know distance is insanely relative in space, but those ships still look awfully close to not see us.

Either way...it functions. It's arguably the whole 'HALO drop' exaggerated to a very large scale. Makes sense, really.

I mean, the loading screen doesn't have it going with us, but somehow we always wind up back at the same orbiter no matter where we are. The same arsenal, the same ship.

This isn't going to have a theory on my part 'cause I really don't know and don't feel like thinking, it just struck me and I thought I'd poke the water with the thought.

We end up at the same orbiter the same way astronauts end up at the same ISS. We know where it is and fly an intercept, then dock. The liset is too small for long duration missions; we need more resources to last months or years on deployment.

2.we go to that planet first with the Orbiter then go to the mission in our little spy ship

This, the Liset is basically our dropship.  The Orbiter is really the SHIP, it's what can actually traverse the solar system and ride the Solar Rails, but it's not built for atmospheric travel nor deep stealth operations, that's why we use the Liset for infiltration and extraction. 

We end up at the same orbiter the same way astronauts end up at the same ISS. We know where it is and fly an intercept, then dock. The liset is too small for long duration missions; we need more resources to last months or years on deployment.

I think you misunderstood: the question was, how was the Orbiter getting to all those other planets? If you've ever looked outside the window, it's clear your Liset and the Orbiter it's attached to is in a completely new location than it was previously - say you were on Earth, went to a mission on Saturn, outside the window would then be Saturn instead of Earth previously, but your orbiter "Compartment" will still be there.

There are several very good theories presented, though.

I think you misunderstood: the question was, how was the Orbiter getting to all those other planets? If you've ever looked outside the window, it's clear your Liset and the Orbiter it's attached to is in a completely new location than it was previously - say you were on Earth, went to a mission on Saturn, outside the window would then be Saturn instead of Earth previously, but your orbiter "Compartment" will still be there.

I'd wager the Orbiter is really the Ship (it shouldn't be called the Orbiter, it's huge and it's got the real engines)  I think it's the reall ship that actually rides the solar rails and does all the actual long distance flying. Recall this old image, its a concept image but it implies the same thing shown in the video and my theory, that the "orbiter" is really our ship, the bulk of which is actually arsenal and thrust.  The ship in this image is ginourmous, and probably the orbiter wont end up being that big, but I think they will probably stick with this model/idea if I had to wager.

NDVyfBU.jpg

I understood perfectly; I take the Orbiter to be the space based primary drive of the Liset system. It's called The Orbiter because it's not capable of entering or leaving a planet's atmosphere. Hence; it stays in orbit.

We travel through Solar Rails.

Sort of. 

Remember that Ordis now states that he will keep the orbiter "safe in the Void" which implies we have some kind of safe access to the Void.  Either we can stealth a craft as large as, or bigger than, an industrial fishing vessel; or the Orbiter can slide into the Void under its own power. 

In either case, the presented question is much like asking how we manage to travel from missions on say, Mercury, and then hotdrop into Pluto in less than 30 seconds (depending on your PC).  Or actually, depending on the current position of planets, Pluto and Neptune. 

Sort of. 

Remember that Ordis now states that he will keep the orbiter "safe in the Void" which implies we have some kind of safe access to the Void.  Either we can stealth a craft as large as, or bigger than, an industrial fishing vessel; or the Orbiter can slide into the Void under its own power. 

In either case, the presented question is much like asking how we manage to travel from missions on say, Mercury, and then hotdrop into Pluto in less than 30 seconds (depending on your PC).  Or actually, depending on the current position of planets, Pluto and Neptune. 

Perhaps we make use of the ancient "Fold"ing method that is mentioned in Ember Prime's Codex? I think of it as a sort of dimensional shift type of thing that seems to have been a WHOLE lot less save (though maybe quicker), rather than the "Punch" of the Solar Rails that seems to be more reliable for not losing ships to the Void.

The benefits of it would be we also wouldn't have to make use of the Grineer-controlled Solar Rails, allowing us to travel with 0 hassle.

Edited by Morec0

Perhaps we make use of the ancient "Fold"ing method that is mentioned in Ember Prime's Codex? I think of it as a sort of dimensional shift type of thing that seems to have been a WHOLE lot less save (though maybe quicker), rather than the "Punch" of the Solar Rails that seems to be more reliable for not losing ships to the Void.

The benefits of it would be we also wouldn't have to make use of the Grineer-controlled Solar Rails, allowing us to travel with 0 hassle.

Ah, that's a good one. 

Would also be something only we would be willing to use, as we're the only ones who are Void tolerant enough to have no fear of it. 

Although I got the impression that Hek used some thing like that with his Fomorians (at the end of the quest, at least). 

Ah, that's a good one. 

Would also be something only we would be willing to use, as we're the only ones who are Void tolerant enough to have no fear of it. 

Although I got the impression that Hek used some thing like that with his Fomorians (at the end of the quest, at least). 

What gives you that impression? Though I can't say it's not hard to imagine, given it seems to come out of nowhere... perhaps it was hiding off censors? After all, the Corpus ships don't exactly have windows by the nav stations

I'm going to assume that we each have our own orbiter, and the reason it's locked in the void currently is because it is hiding special equipment in there and/or DE is planning to let us create our own "mini-dojo" in our orbiters like a home.

Yes plz, would so like to create my mini-dojo. Best idea today XD