Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Konami Why?!

TheErebus.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-publisher-konami-mobile-is-now-our-main/1100-6427329/

MOBILE PHONES.

YOU ARE GOING TO PURSUE MOBILE GAMING AS YOUR MAIN PLATFORM.

I have no more words to describe my feelings towards Konami.

I give them 2 years before they are dead as a company.

Now lemme be clear here, I understand the situation in Japan. Console gaming is becoming less and less popular and more people are going to mobile gaming. But add this into the PR nightmare that Konami is having internationally, and you have even more reason to no longer look forward to what Konami is gonna push out. Mobile gaming at its best are often very simplistic games. 

Edited by TheErebus.

Any smart gaming company will pursue mobile. Mobile is going to be the biggest platform in the next decade. You figure about hundreds of thousands of people own a console where as hundreds of millions own a smart phone capable of playing games. Its a smart choice

Edited by HandsOfnArtist

With the next generation of consoles, console games cost a titanic amount of money to even yield a "mediocre" product. Mobile games, can be produced for almost nothing. Especially in Japan, mobile games make tonnes of money, you can't blame companies for going where the money is.

Just read this article and cry over the death of console gaming.

http://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-15-end-console-gaming-japan/

Any smart gaming company will pursue mobile. Mobile is going to be the biggest platform in the next decade. You figure about hundreds of thousands people of a console where as hundreds of millions own a smart phone capable of playing games. Its a smart choice

Smart choice?

Yes.

But as of right now, Konami is at its worst with PR.

To the gaming community, Konami is just slowly descending into a downward spiral of death.

And mobile gaming isn't really that good in gaming, with technical limitations and all. So again, to the gaming community at large, this recent news just further shows that Konami is no longer going to be that interesting internationally. 

With the next generation of consoles, console games cost a titanic amount of money to even yield a "mediocre" product. Mobile games, can be produced for almost nothing. Especially in Japan, mobile games make tonnes of money, you can't blame companies for going where the money is.

Just read this article and cry over the death of console gaming.

http://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-15-end-console-gaming-japan/

I've read that article. It's sad.

Edited by TheErebus.

While mobile is an obvious choice, Konami growing interest in gambling games is disturbing. It has shown its willing to burn it's talent your a quick buck, becuase temporarily its gambling ventures are about to elciplse there video game entertainment. The shame is most companies would kill to have legendary talent, and they are throwing it away. Only a visionless empty suit could make such a dull move.

Any smart gaming company will pursue mobile. Mobile is going to be the biggest platform in the next decade. You figure about hundreds of thousands of people own a console where as hundreds of millions own a smart phone capable of playing games. Its a smart choice

^

This. I won't can't give specifics but through work I've seen stats that would amaze you. Phones are blowing up and everyone in business either knows it or better call somebody.

Edited by VKhaun

^

This. I won't can't give specifics but through work I've seen stats that would amaze you. Phones are blowing up and everyone in business either knows it or better call somebody.

Again, this is true. But read the OP.

What I have stated rings true as well.

Again, this is true. But read the OP.

What I have stated rings true as well.

Disclaimers about reading now being necessary, I see that you gave the mobile market a big bold nod, but then you continued to talk about consequences for the move. We're saying you undervalue the potential of the market. It's not a PR nightmare contribution and it doesn't lead to them being a dead company if that move is a brilliant one.

Assuming they will make simplistic(/bad) games just seems like pessimism to me but I don't know enough about Konami to know if it's realistic or not so I didn't comment.

Edited by VKhaun

Disclaimers about reading now being necessary, I see that you gave the mobile market a big bold nod, but then you continued to talk about consequences for the move. We're saying you undervalue the potential of the market. It's not a PR nightmare contribution and it doesn't lead to them being a dead company if that move is a brilliant one.

Assuming they will make simplistic(/bad) games just seems like pessimism to me but I don't know enough about Konami to know if it's realistic or not so I didn't comment.

When I say they are a dead company, I mean in the eyes of gamers, they are a dead company. I know fully the power and money making potential of the mobile market, when games like Angry Bird being more popular than CoD will ever be.

This is a contribution to their PR nightmare because right now, the general opinion of them is that they are going down the S#&$ter. I'm speaking through the eyes of a console gamer, this is why I stated the things I've said above.

If you look at the comments in the article, you'll see what I mean.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-publisher-konami-mobile-is-now-our-main/1100-6427329/

MOBILE PHONES.

YOU ARE GOING TO PURSUE MOBILE GAMING AS YOUR MAIN PLATFORM.

I have no more words to describe my feelings towards Konami.

I give them 2 years before they are dead as a company.

Now lemme be clear here, I understand the situation in Japan. Console gaming is becoming less and less popular and more people are going to mobile gaming. But add this into the PR nightmare that Konami is having internationally, and you have even more reason to no longer look forward to what Konami is gonna push out. Mobile gaming at its best are often very simplistic games. 

My guess is they are going under like Capcom and Crytek. Capcom are looking to be bought out, Crytek are foolishly turning to F2P games despite the fact they clearly have no knowledge in that field, I mean just look at Warface. Only some MOBAs and Warframe seem to be successful at the F2P model. Looks like Konami are planning to make small mobile games and make small profits to keep themselves afloat instead of going for AAA games with big budgets and risks.

Maybe, but it's still far to early for Mobile to be anything more than a gimmick in gaming. I can't say I know of many people who actually buy or play mobile games. Handhelds are still more popular because they have that extra ease of use, and better functionality.