The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

You Know... We May Have Just Destroyed A Possible Weapon Against The Sentients...

Morec0

You know, it hit me. What was it Alad V was infused with? Regular Infestation? Was he "Infested" Alad?

No. No he was MUTALIST Alad. A very SPECIAL brand of Infestation, his own little mix. And, as with most disease, there is not "cure all" for them, only treatments and cures for them individually.

So, what we just helped save Alad from and cure was the Mutalist Infestation, one that has been most prevalent in Alad's Infested Robotics, as well as Alad himself  - there's an argument to be made for the Brood Mothers and Boilers being Mutalist, but I see them more as advanced stages of the Charger and Runner/Leaper Infested creatures more than anything (though I suppose some COULD be of the Mutalist Strain, while others just sort of evolved and develope don their own).

So, generally speaking, what we've done is maybe help curb the Infestation by minimizing Alad's little boost to it (though I will say that remains to be seen until we hear from him again), but all in all we haven't stopped it...

What we have done, though, is destroyed what is possibly a beautiful little weapon against the returning Sentients.

The Sentients, as we are all mostly in agreement now, are machines. Whether they're Cephalons or something else is unknown, but we know they use machines, probably are those machine bodies themselves, and can control technology.

We also know that, util the Mutalist strain, machines were unaffected by the Infestation. Thankfully the Infestation was also immune to the Sentient's ability to tamper with technology, hence why the Orokin were developing them as a weapon, but here's the thing:

We had a strain of bioweapon that could have corrupted them, opened them up to the weaknesses we already know - already are armed for - could it made the Infestation more deadly? Maybe, maybe not, but either way...

By providing Alad V - and MAYBE the rest of the Origin System - with the end of the rampant nature of the Mutalist disease, we have ensured that the Sentients will continue to be as unique and new and dangerous a threat with weakness we will have to adapt to and continue the ever-rampaging arms race (which, let's be honest, have never historically ended well for anyone) that ultimately does nothing to aid the balance.

Thoughts?

Edited by Morec0

The infestation didn't stop the sentients before, and wouldn't be likely to do so again.

The underlying technologies behind the infestation was what was turned back against the orokin, having someone else at the metaphorical steering wheel likely wouldn't help.

This is exactly the thought that occured to me. If the Corpus hadn't outcast Alad, they would have stood a chance against the Sentient threat. Lord knows what kind of sh** would go down.

Still, it interestests me, because even the thought of the Mutalist species, it still seems like the Sentients would somehow be immune.

The infestation didn't stop the sentients before, and wouldn't be likely to do so again.

The underlying technologies behind the infestation was what was turned back against the orokin, having someone else at the metaphorical steering wheel likely wouldn't help.

Well, the tactics would have been different here: where before the plan with the Infested seems to have been "send out as many zombie hordes a we can to try and tear them apart" with this it would have been "let the Mutalist strain infest and corrupt them so they suffer from the same weaknesses of the Flesh as the Mutalist Moas and the like do".

VERY different tactics.

But the Mutalist strain is marked by the ability to infect machines. MOA's, and Osprays are part of an evolutionary mutation in the Technocyte virus.

I don't see much coming from this cure, either.

Ehh, the whole point of the Suspicious Shipments-to-Patient Zero buildup and revelations was that Alad V made it, it's his creation, his genetic research into "bioticts" that spawned them. And from that it infested MOAs, Ospreys, and... well, Alad himself - just because it can Infest machines doesn't seem to mean it can ONLY infest machines.

So, we come to the idea that the Mutalist Strain - as with most strains - is cured, but the rest of the disease that is split off of the evolutionary chain from isn't

We'll have to see where the story leads.

!!Spoiler Alert!!

The REAL weapon against the sentients has always been beside us.

Simply inject the virus known as Ordis...

Personally, I'd be more worried about them fixing him and sending Sentient-corrupted Military badass Ordis against us.

LOL @implying DE has a lore book in a secret vault with pre determined paths designed for each of our actions.

They clearly think of it as they go. Don't sweat on it.

Even if that was the case (which I really don't think it is, not at this point where there are SO many people wanting lore), the possibility being there implies enough that it COULD be put into the story. Hence the debate and thought.

This is exactly the thought that occured to me. If the Corpus hadn't outcast Alad, they would have stood a chance against the Sentient threat. Lord knows what kind of sh** would go down.

Still, it interestests me, because even the thought of the Mutalist species, it still seems like the Sentients would somehow be immune.

Maybe, perhaps their Oro could have countered it? It's unclear, but I think that had this been allowed to fester against them it would have been a HELL of a game-changer.

Personally, I'd be more worried about them fixing him and sending Sentient-corrupted Military badass Ordis against us.

That would actually be cool. Not the fixing part, but perhaps encountering a copy/variant of Ordis BEFORE he went nuts. e.g. a cold, calculating and efficient AI to contrast what Ordis as became. And I really look forward to the possible interaction between Ordis and his "original".

Ehh, the whole point of the Suspicious Shipments-to-Patient Zero buildup and revelations was that Alad V made it, it's his creation, his genetic research into "bioticts" that spawned them. And from that it infested MOAs, Ospreys, and... well, Alad himself - just because it can Infest machines doesn't seem to mean it can ONLY infest machines.

So, we come to the idea that the Mutalist Strain - as with most strains - is cured, but the rest of the disease that is split off of the evolutionary chain from isn't

We'll have to see where the story leads.

Hmm, that it is an engineered adaptation is s good point. Also kind of explains why I don't see the cure being a big deal. Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

This sentence contains badass and Ordis. Respect for Morec0's analytical abilities drops to zero.

This sentence contains badass and Ordis. Respect for Morec0's analytical abilities drops to zero.

Bah, you're just jealous because you didn't think of Captain Steve Ordis, the First Cephavenger first!

So what you're saying is, we could've had Infested Sentients? Sounds horrifying.

Depending on how you look at it, it would have either made things worse or helped keep them at bay.

Personally, I think opening them up to the weaknesses of the Infested would have made for a stronger case for the latter.

It's not like all mutalists are necessarily gonna be gone just because Alad is, anyways.

No, certainly not, the disease is still there, but lore-wise it's heavily curbed, which likely means (as future developments go) it might not play a huge role - well, J3 will still likely mutate, but really that's just been something waitin' to happen since the moment those Corpus ships started growing innards.

Eris will likely remain as "stay the HELL outta there" zone, so it doesn't stop it there... but spreading throughout Origin? THAT might be slowed/halted.

Edited by Morec0

This is exactly what the Orokin thought.

Until we gather further intel on how that played out I don't think we should dabble in bio-weapons ever again.

I would rather fall at their hands than see innocents twisted under the infestation's mad grasp.