The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur Rework : Press "e" To Win

Wargasm_v2.X

Dear [DE],

I've played Warframe now more than a year and I've "mained" Excalibur for a variety of reasons.  One of the reasons is I felt he was one of the more balanced frames in the game (ignoring Radial Blind abuse).  More specifically, his "ultimate" Radial Javelin required line of sight and could not be spammed effectively requiring players to be strategic, often using it after Super Jump for synergy.

Fast forward to the current rework (and after the dark days of Radial Javelin spam) with a new "ultimate" - Exalted Blade.  In the final form after some hotfixes there exists some puzzling decisions which skews balance into "Overpowered" territory.

- Exalted Blade waves go through solid objects.  I can understand if a certain amount of Punch Through is inherent in the ability when hitting enemies.  But as it is you can spam waves into closed doors and through floors to decimate enemies which haven't even entered line of sight. 

- Exalted Blade procs Syndicate mods despite not equipping the melee weapon.  It's understandable if the 100% damage is added but why is the powerful AOE proc occurring when this is not the case when using melee with a Primary equipped? 

- Exalted Blade waves damage Nullifier shields.  The Nullifier was introduced I would assume to counter ability spam and is usually one of the few enemies that requires players to adapt on the fly.  How is it then that the waves are not negated by the shield like every other ability?

- Exalted Blade can be used indefinitely.  With the use of a Corrupted Mod (the source of so many balance issues) it's very easy to keep Exalted Blade up and since it's so utterly effective there is little cause *not* to have it out 24/7. 

I am a huge proponent for balance from the start especially with the current meta which does not bare repeating here.  Please consider some of the above points in current and future frame reworks.

*DISCLAIMER*  While I welcome any feedback from players the above was addressed to [DE] on the small chance it might be read.  Having been in the forums long enough I know that any talk of balance/retuning/nerfing will be met with vocal and immediate disapproval. 

As far as balance goes, yes Excalibur is or was the balance frame. Now with talk of this new eclipse frame I think the DE's might have forgotten how to properly balance the Tennos. However his Exalted Blade Mode seems more like him entering a state of Inner Energy control allowing him to unleash unbelievable power unto his enemies. Although he cannot superjump while like this he can use Radial Blind infinitely. Why even have Radial Blind then? I just think the rework needs rework. We lost one move and never got anything similar to it. And we get a state of power control that does not let us do things like increased stregnth or jump.

I forget the other things this mode should allow us to do. Srry if anyone remembers just post it

Edited by CounterOne

Its the REASON it was made ... you couldnt take any excal at T4 40 minutes BEFORE without spamming blind

i think this is a FAR BETTER solution !!!

False. Just because you cant, doesnt mean nobody else can either.

@OP -  DE has been on a warpath to make every aspect of this game scrub friendly. The easier it is, the more spamable and less skill required, the happier the masses are, and in turn, the more money they spend.

It seems like people will never be happy as long as there's a frame that performs well.

I am not upset with most of Excal's performance than his glitches. How ever I do wish his super jump was implemented in the rework better than it was.

It's one thing to give him a useful ability, it's another for him to use it and nothing else.  It's like Valkyrs who're permanently in Hysteria, except Excal has a ranged attack, both get kinda boring as it means any other type of game play is kind of obsolete.

Do they even need guns any more?

It's one thing to give him a useful ability, it's another for him to use it and nothing else.  It's like Valkyrs who're permanently in Hysteria, except Excal has a ranged attack, both get kinda boring as it means any other type of game play is kind of obsolete.

I literally use every single one of Excal's abilities. They all have their uses given the situation.

As far as balance goes, yes Excalibur is or was the balance frame. Now with talk of this new eclipse frame I think the DE's might have forgotten how to properly balance the Tennos. However his Exalted Blade Mode seems more like him entering a state of Inner Energy control allowing him to unleash unbelievable power unto his enemies. Although he cannot superjump while like this he can use Radial Blind infinitely. Why even have Radial Blind then? I just think the rework needs rework. We lost one move and never got anything similar to it. And we get a state of power control that does not let us do things like increased stregnth or jump.

I forget the other things this mode should allow us to do. Srry if anyone remembers just post it

Yeah but the range on it is extremely low it will only blind enemies within really close proximity to him.

I for one use all of his abilities I only ever use exalted blade when weapons start to become useless or more is required, like in the later waves of t4 or t3 void runs.

As for this

- Exalted Blade waves damage Nullifier shields.  The Nullifier was introduced I would assume to counter ability spam and is usually one of the few enemies that requires players to adapt on the fly.  How is it then that the waves are not negated by the shield like every other ability?

nullifies are simply meant to protect enemies within it's shield and to prevent power use while your inside the shield, you also can't use powers that would require you to physically go through the shield like slash dash, but things like shuriken and exalted blades, energy waves can harm the shield, that's how it's always been -shrugs-

Edited by Archangelzz

As long as there's literally anything in the game, no one will ever be content....

Before rework: Excal has gotten stale, rework him!

After rework: Excal is too overpowered! Nerf him!

Rinse and repeat for literally everything in the game

Exactly. First thing I said when I first saw how the waves were going to be is "They should be short distance wide slash waves like you'd see in arcade games- not travel 40 meters..."

Don't let the videos fool you. At much higher levels you have to use it in conjunction with radial blind, and perhaps life strike, which starts to accelerate the less than apparent energy consumption.

So, sure, it's powerful, but isn't that exactly what we have been asking for? To make him viable for higher levels? Now he is.

LOL that title though too, "Press "E" to win" because god forbid the melee frame uses melee as his main source of damage.

Edited by -CM-AbsoluteZero

Rework isn't out a week and we already have people who don't touch T2+ Void chiming in on how a fully modded Warframe that does primarily Slash damage is somehow overpowered.

Excal is perfect at the moment.

Exalted Blade makes a good trash cleaner. It's not going to kill corrupted gunners or bombards unless you blind them first. Modding for Exalted Blade also removes the effectiveness of Radial Javelin, which despite requiring line of sight, is a far easier ability to not only USE but to kill everything on the map with.

Despite your whining Exalted Blade is still quite balanced because:

A.) it fires a slow moving beam that is about 2 excaliburs wide that enemies can dodge and outrun

B.) the beam doesn't do anywhere near the damage a properly modded rifle will unless enemies are blinded

On that note your reasons for it being overpowered dont fly either.

Alot of Warframe powers go through solid objects. It'd be easier to list the ones that don't.

Several projectile-based Warframe powers damage nullifier shields. Chroma's effigy is good example.

Exalted Blade, like Hysteria, is MEANT to be on all the time.

Hysteria, Exalted Blade, Iron Skin (debatably), Vex Armor, Smokescreen, Invisibility.

The reason these abilities exist and cost little to use is because they are the barrier of survivability keeping these frames (who are quite squishy as it is) from being blown up with ease once they leave the comfy confines of Saturn.

They are meant to be turned on as often as possible to provide a defensive bonus.

If you remove abilities like this you basically turn these frames into punching bags.

It's stunning how for the first time one of the gimmickiest crappiest frames in the game can actually fight for his life, is actually at the same level of survivability and power as most of the others. And of course people whine they dont like it.

"This is bad I preferred dying all the time."

"I liked feeling weak outside of syndicate farming."

"I enjoyed being the warframe nobody wanted on their team."

That's the sort of logic these threads have.