The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Endless Mission - Orokin Catacombs

BlackCoMerc

"Tenno, we've found them at last - the planetary bases of the Orokin. It seems they dug out great catacombs in which to hide their civilization from the hostile surface of uninhabitable worlds. Delve into their catacombs, Tenno, and unravel their secrets. But be careful. Our scanners indicate that the deeper you delve, the more numerous and more dangerous the Corrupted will become."

Overview: Orokin Bases on asteroids, planets and moons. These are enormous, randomly generated catacombs (dungeons) using Orkokin/Derelict architecture, with a vertical shaft on the same side of each level. This shaft once served to recycle/vent air and now will serve as a fast-extraction exit for the mission. Each floor is a new level of the Catacombs, and much as in traditional dungeon crawlers enemies grow more deadly the deeper you go. 

Mechanics:

-This is a dungeon dive. Players decide how deep to push and when to retreat. Extraction is available any time after the first level is cleared of enemies.

-Extraction is handled slightly differently. Players dont backtrack. Instead, they visit the air recycling shaft. These are still functioning - hence, items inside still be preserved - and they still push gases to the surface. In this way, Tenno have a fast exit to Extraction whenever its needed - but a logical reason why they cannot just plunge down INTO the catacombs at the same time.

-Enemies Rank Up and grow more numerous as Tenno delve deeper (a la survival and time spent). 

-Extraction is available any time after the first level is cleared.

-IF players delve deep enough, they may find a Vault, complete with a Corrupted mod. Chances are rare, but if a Vault is present players will be told this before the mission starts in order to prepare (We have detected an Orokin Vault hidden deep inside).

-Alternatively, Vault-based Catacombs can be different, non-endless missions. Players just need to make X number of levels and then hit the vault and get out. 

-Every level will guarantee that new loot or rewards are discovered. 

-Caches have a random chance of spawning (1-3) on these missions. Tenno will know the level the cache is on, or at least how many levels deeper it is, but not exactly where it is located. 

So...thoughts on Endless, Dungeon-delving missions in Warframe?

I see only one real problem with this mode. to create an "endless" map without some sort of level transition would eventually be really taxing on the recourses available and could lead to lag. its a real good concept but its just difficult to put into practice

Load and ditch level-by-level, cannot backtrack. Level-lowering functions as extraction (X players will begin timer, timer skipped if all players present)

As for my opinions on the mission type itself, it's an endless mission with no bullcrap about "defend this" or "life support"

YES. HELL YES. HELL. FREAKING. YES.

Edited by Astrotrap

Wait.., ur saying Endless fights, resource caches and corrupted mods?

Oh mamma, seem like ur talking about a new Endless mission for Orokin Derelict.

Hmm, could have been mistaken there.

But Corrupted mods during regular missions outside Orokin Derelict..., hmm.

Unless it's going to be super rare to make the vault spawn, I'm okay with it.

Anyways, you gets a vote from me.

Wait.., ur saying Endless fights, resource caches and corrupted mods?

Oh mamma, seem like ur talking about a new Endless mission for Orokin Derelict.

Hmm, could have been mistaken there.

But Corrupted mods during regular missions outside Orokin Derelict..., hmm.

Unless it's going to be super rare to make the vault spawn, I'm okay with it.

Anyways, you gets a vote from me.

Thanks for the Vote. I was thinking that the Vault/Corrupted mod part would be either:

-A rare spawn/chance thing (divulged prior to mission start, on mission selection screen)

-A slightly different Catacomb mission, wherein you would know the Vault was there ahead of time but have only a limited number of levels to traverse to reach it. Then, Corrupted Guards spawn after you raid it, and you need to extract with it.

I actually like the idea of getting Corrupted Mods from the Void, by fighting the Corrupted. Infested are getting...old. Fast.

This is one of the best ideas I have heard in a while especially because you cannot camp it out so it means you have to work as a team as you go down. Also maybe some traps that have holes in the ground that you can drop into the air vents and but up a floor or two but you are dropped into a pit of enemies maybe with some new orokin style turrets that we the grinner versions of in one of the devstreams and you have to fight your way back to your team or your team could jump down with you to help you but your set back 2 floors.

Anyway its a definite plus 1 from me. De need to implement this if possible U17.5. Maybe a new enemy/miniboss that you can meet at certain levels eg: level 20,40,60 (New prime part drops).

Anyway its a definite plus 1 from me. De need to implement this if possible U17.5. Maybe a new enemy/miniboss that you can meet at certain levels eg: level 20,40,60 (New prime part drops).

Corrupted Lynx, anyone?

Or maybe corrupted Phorid, like a huge weirdass boss before he changed into an infested charger and became an infested officer?

Nah idk.., I am bad with those.

Corrupted Lynx, anyone?

Or maybe corrupted Phorid, like a huge weirdass boss before he changed into an infested charger and became an infested officer?

Nah idk.., I am bad with those.

not sure how infested... corrupted.... whoa.  the lore is real.  I think you just broke the game (even more)

Edited by PriZms

One issue regarding having to manage a whole bunch of different levels, what if one guy goes AFK on the first floor while everyone else runs on down to the hundredth floor?

Again, that could be solved via the standard extraction method. If a sufficient number of people (2) are at the downward escalator, a timer starts up, and everyone goes when it ends.

This is a very cool idea. +1

Just spitballing here, but it would be fun if random side objectives could pop up on levels. Kinda like nightmare mode. Like, occasionally you'll get to a floor where Lotus will be like, "there's an imprisoned AI somewhere on this level," and you can opt to pull off a rescue or just push through to the next level (extra rewards for doing the side mission, of course.) Or perhaps one level is open to the outside, necessitating survival style refueling of air or whatever, but just for that level. It would be fun, never knowing what you're going to get on each floor.

Thanks for the poll and the votes. Only 8 votes so far but unanimous agreement. Which I am pretty sure Abraham Lincoln - or maybe it was Thomas Jefferson - said never happens on the Internet once you get, like, more than three people. 

But then, I dont believe everything I read on the \net either.

Seriously, thanks everyone. I think something like this is badly needed. An endless mission, no babysitting stationary objects or micromanaging numbers and trying to stay alive against an enemy (oxygen) that you cant fight. Just you or your squad, pushing your luck to see how far you can delve before you have to pull out, and how rewarding it is in the end to test our luck and your skill.