Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mesa's Useless First Skill

Enchillado

I've always thought that Mesa's 1st skill is really not worth using, while it's not even satisfying, because visualisation is really poor (opticor's effect and incongruous body glow).

We always could use Regulators instead of it. For example, you hit 1st button and you have two of your innate pistols ready to use. More precisely, two shots with Tigris trigger mechanic and automatic holster after depleting. We already accustomed to have our first skills not cancelling some actions like a reloading, but I'd give more attention on that case, giving this particular skill addition of instant reload of the currently equipped weapon and fast draw animation, since it'll block your weapon. Not talking about damage though, it is to be considered later in the topic.

Don't know what you guys think, but I would get rid of this damage scaling mechanic. I believe Equinox has something much better, can't remember all details about his (since this skill is in a male stance) skill, but it does the calculated damage in AoE, so even if damage multiplier is going to be significantly lower it's still feels more useful. We need some instant output on this one.

personally, I find Mesa's 1 to be one of her most versatile skills. charge it off of mooks with a fast weapon, switch to a semi-auto weapon, trigger the skill, and absolutely destroy a heavy or three with a single shot, not to mention the rapport of the skill and the feeling when you see them stagger backwards dead.

personally, I find Mesa's 1 to be one of her most versatile skills. charge it off of mooks with a fast weapon, switch to a semi-auto weapon, trigger the skill, and absolutely destroy a heavy or three with a single shot, not to mention the rapport of the skill and the feeling when you see them stagger backwards dead.

There's no point when you shred the heavies just as quickly as the mooks.  Also, Ballistic Battery still isn't one-handed, which makes it clunky as hell. 

There's no point when you shred the heavies just as quickly as the mooks.  Also, Ballistic Battery still isn't one-handed, which makes it clunky as hell. 

It's isn't one-handed only in the first animation, and even then it's relatively fast (about 1.5 seconds) to trigger. once you actually want to use your charge, though, that itself is essentially no-handed, as it doesn't trigger an animation of any kind. Also, assuming you're using something not "top-tier" or high in burst damage (Boltor Prime, Paris Prime, Dread, Opticor, ect.) then it does actually make a pretty noticeable difference.

I use it to kill Bombards and Gunners pretty often because they (specifically gunners) can easily tear through your Shatter Shield in higher levels.

That being said, it needs to automatically build up energy when you kill stuff with your guns and when you activate it, it sends the power to your gun as it does now.

As soon as you fire it, it starts building up charge automatically again, no need to press it until it's 100%.

I use it to kill Bombards and Gunners pretty often because they (specifically gunners) can easily tear through your Shatter Shield in higher levels.

That being said, it needs to automatically build up energy when you kill stuff with your guns and when you activate it, it sends the power to your gun as it does now.

As soon as you fire it, it starts building up charge automatically again, no need to press it until it's 100%.

This would be the perfect change. Have it automatically build up, only using the skill to discharge.

This would totally make the skill easier to use. This is the best idea I've read about changing BB.

This - cut out the initial activation, make it basically the Energy Channel of guns. I've suggested this before somewhere, so I absolutely agree with it now. Although it should also apply for a few seconds after activation to give it a bonus to automatics as well - that said, shotguns should have it split between pellets to avoid being brutally, ridiculously overpowered.

You could imagine the same thing, but with better visualizatin that I've suggested. It makes no difference on the efficiency and remains almost the same, but fits more.

I feel as if saying "I may as well just use the frame's ult over their first skill" is applicable to almost every frame really. That said, I actually find Mesa's 1st skill very handy in a pinch. Sure it does have it's flaws: you have to remember to activate it, and it is fairly niche since it's a single target skill, but it can be very handy if your using a slightly underpowered weapon and need to deal with a stubborn Heavy that just refuses to die.

Would be nice if it had innate Punch-Through though, it is disappointing when a shot dealing 10k+ damage can't go through a single enemy.

I feel as if saying "I may as well just use the frame's ult over their first skill" is applicable to almost every frame really. That said, I actually find Mesa's 1st skill very handy in a pinch. Sure it does have it's flaws: you have to remember to activate it, and it is fairly niche since it's a single target skill, but it can be very handy if your using a slightly underpowered weapon and need to deal with a stubborn Heavy that just refuses to die.

Would be nice if it had innate Punch-Through though, it is disappointing when a shot dealing 10k+ damage can't go through a single enemy.

But if you're saying that this skill is only for dealing with extremely heavy units, would punch through even be relevant? Since you have to put much effort for charging it and switching your priorities during the battle.

Edited by D20

But if you're saying that this skill is only for dealing with extremely heavy units, would punch through even be relevant? Since you have to put much effort for charging it and switching your priorities during the battle.

Well yeah, but the only thing better than downing a heavy would be downing a Heavy and a line of cronies standing behind him, no?

I do like Ballistic Battery as it is but I'm not outright against it being made better. I can't imagine they'd make it a room cleaner like Equinox's ult since it is still a #1 skill, but they could give it some form of AoE (either as an innate feature or as an augment). Having the charged bullet ricochet between multiple enemies and damage them all would be pretty fun to watch but a generic AoE or punch-through would suffice.

Not sure how you would add instant gratification to this skill though, I would suggest an initial damage buff if Mesa didn't already have a skill that does that (Shooting Gallery).

Otherwise, I can't seeing it being made better without completely overhauling it.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

I run a max efficiency build mostly for her first ability. It is rather useful with telos akboltos. That said it could use a little work.

My problems:

1.) The casting animation is too long for such an ability.

2.) The fact that you cannot start the charge while using peacemaker is weird.

3.) The fact that the charging has to be prompted, and has a casting animation in the first place/is not a one handed action.

4.) It is useless for continous fire weapons.

5.) 25 energy is too much for one powered up round.

EDIT: To be honest, I'd also like to see Ballistic Battery do more than power up a shot. As others have said, making it give punch-through, ricochet, or a guaranteed crit would be nice.

Edited by Insizer

I do like Ballistic Battery as it is but I'm not outright against it being made better. I can't imagine they'd make it a room cleaner like Equinox's ult since it is still a #1 skill, but they could give it some form of AoE (either as an innate feature or as an augment). Having the charged bullet ricochet between multiple enemies and damage them all would be pretty fun to watch but a generic AoE or punch-through would suffice.

Ricochet sounds good for me. You might as well consider my suggestion more versatile and area controlling than it is for now, because idea was about two shots with one charge instead of one. I'd still insist on giving it Regulators visualisation instead of altering one single shot from your weapon with opticor effect. If someone uses this charge with a sniper rifle, he could take it as a nerf, but you'll have two shots instead of one and with that fast draw mechanic you'll be ready to aim with your rifle right away. Just imagine it.

5.) 25 energy is too much for one powered up round.

I'd say that this is the main problem. Paired with a cast animation and requirements/time to be useful.

Edited by Enchillado