The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Assault Rifles Are Useless

Farlan

Trying desperately to stay on topic: if you find that your weapons simply stop working at high enemy levels, and you're fighting enemies that are armored (yellow health bar), the answer is that you need to bring a full team of players with corrosive projection or otherwise remove their armor (augment for Sonic Boom does this quite efficiently).

Enemy armor scales to an absolutely idiotic degree past level 30ish, and if you aren't getting rid of their armor, then you aren't really doing damage. Boltor Prime may work for a little while longer than other automatic weapons only because it's so heavily puncture based which is strong against armor, but when you remove that armor entirely with CP, other weapons work properly.  This affects all weapons and is not an assault rifles (whatever you consider that to be in game terms) versus other weapon types problem.

She fits the LMG category or stationary gun

Absolutely not a LMG since it has very little recoil and very high accuracy. Also it deals way too few damage per shot and it needs to rely on precision shots (aka critical hits) to do high damage.

On the topic, the higher the level, the better Braton P becomes, due to the insane status that melts armor. With a status and corrosive build, it kills a lvl 95 Heavy gunner faster than Boltor P.

You said it can't kill lvl 30? Pfff, perhaps I am wasting my time trying to convince you otherwise...

you're biased against some of the Assault Rifles that do fit your bill, and you also decide that some Weapons that are Assault Rifles are not.

Soma is simultaneously an Assault Rifle and a Light Machine Gun. it takes the best aspects of both. and the only weakness it results in having is that it can burn through a lot of Ammunition. is functionally an Assault Rifle for this game.

and Grakata is an Assault Rifle as far as Warframe is concerned. if feels more like a Sub Machine Gun but it's functionally an Assault Rifle for this game.

has a weaker burst that sicarus P which is a secondary.

The Burston P has the lowest burst of the game burst weapons, earn only its standard version.

this is only true if using a calculator is difficult for you.

Status doesn't become not useful just because it's an IPS Weapon.

with a high Status Chance, an Automatic Weapon applies dozens of Status Effects in mere moments. you will get a nice mix of results then, some of everything.

- - - - -

besides, Boltor Prime doesn't have any weaknesses to justify it's Damage, therefore making it Overpowered in the first place.

Soma is in the same boat, it doesn't have any significant weaknesses for it's incredible Damage per shot. it's still incredibly Accurate and has plenty of Ammo. it only pays in a mild reduction of Status, which ends up not really mattering because it gains incredible amounts of Damage.

however, Soma Series would be fine in my mind provided the Accuracy when spooled up was lower. ~18-19 'Accuracy' (since that stat is compound and therefore quite vague) would keep it from being able to magdump and get Crits on Weakpoints.

- - - - -

anyways, the only problem i can think that is probably here, is you're not using the right Damage Types.

against Armored Enemies, the Damage Types that have the largest bonuses against the Armor are REQUIRED. 100% required. you must have them. period.

the Assault Rifles which are practical to use in higher Level Missions is not a huge variety, but this is only because the majority of them are simple, flexible Weapons for newer Players.

BoltorP

Soma Series

BratonP

Prisma Grakata

Karak Wraith

Dera Vandal

are all quite effective at Killing all sorts of Enemies. Tetra might... be able to be on that list, but i don't think it's a practical choice.

BurstonP and Tiberon are very viable, however aren't necessarily Assault Rifles.

again, if you're having trouble, the first guess i can make is you aren't using the right Damage Types against your Enemies. because this makes a difference of a factor of atleast 5x less shots needed to Kill.

Edited by taiiat

First, Assault Rifles in Warframe are in good position. They are fairly accurate, handy and have enough power to stop hordes of weaker enemies. They fullfill they roll in the game.

Second. Wait what? Braton P is "garbage"? And there are no other good Rifles?

Braton P, Burston P, Prism. Grakata are very good Assault Rifles. I have a feeling you just checked DMG-number per bullet and said to yourself: "Boltor is the best." Boltor P is the noobtube of the game. Furthermore I wouldn't take it to fight lvl 100 Greneer or Corrupted.

Sorry but does everything in this game need to be able to one shot everything? Can't there just be weak easily obtainable weapons for, you know, newbies? Nowadays people want everything buffed, forgetting that there needs to be weak weapons. 

Edited by ShawnV2

An assault rifle with a magazine of 100 bullets and shutter speed gradually escalating? She may have appeared one, but looks more like a stationary gun than an assault rifle

Magazine size is not a mater of weapon category (the G36 Assault rifle for example has a alternative magazine holding 100 bullets)

And the Soma definitely does not look like it would be a stationary weapon.

No matter what anyone says, the Soma and Soma Prime are assault rifles. They're simply far too accurate to be Light Machine Guns capable of being fired unmounted. Wind up mechanic does not = Light Machine Gun.

There's no damn thing as a LMG that people just run around with. They're Squad Automatic Weapons, but well, SAWs get shoved into the LMG catagory in every other game.

Fun fact: Machineguns or SAWs are defined by A: large magazine size B: The ability to withstand the stress of constant firing. (They fire fast enough to melt their own barrels, heck ARs do too, but ARs aren`t expected to put as much supressing fire downrange) C: Greater than average weight (Result of A and B).

Nowhere in that list does stormtrooper aim come into play besides possibly recoil (And as a heavier weapon, machineguns inherently absorb recoil better anyways).

For example, the M249 SAW (Yes, SAW, not LMG) is more accurate than the AK-series assault rifles because AK-pattern weapons are designed for idiot conscripts who can`t be trusted not bring the gun with them to a mud bath and forget to clean the thing before shooting.

Or stick a pie in it or something.

Seriously, AKs have stupidly wide tolerences.

Also, the Soma does look the part,

Bren Mk2 LMG

bren_mk2.jpg

Type 99 LMG

Type99LMG.JPG

Fun fact: Carlos Hathcock took a M2 Browning Machine Gun (Big ! tripod machine gun) and stuck a scope on it and called the result a Sniper Rifle. (made  a shot over 2.25km too)

Edited by Serialkillerwhale

That is per hit rather than per second. Damage per hit ≠ Damage per second and obviously damage per second is the number you want to be high[/size]

Single Daggers stack bleed....as long as one does not use Pointed Wind.....paired with certain 400% stealth melee multiier abilities...devastating combo

To OP.... I disagree that only Boltor Prime is only Assualt Rifle that can kill enemies....especially when you are only referring to level 25+ enemies

Thread includes non-Boltor Prime Assulat Rifles killing level 95 Corrupted Heavy Gunner Eximus with no Corrosive Projection:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/496367-comparing-some-unliked-weapons-timeammo-to-kill-high-armored-targets/

you're biased against some of the Assault Rifles that do fit your bill, and you also decide that some Weapons that are Assault Rifles are not.

Soma is simultaneously an Assault Rifle and a Light Machine Gun. it takes the best aspects of both. and the only weakness it results in having is that it can burn through a lot of Ammunition. is functionally an Assault Rifle for this game.

and Grakata is an Assault Rifle as far as Warframe is concerned. if feels more like a Sub Machine Gun but it's functionally an Assault Rifle for this game.this is only true if using a calculator is difficult for you.

Status doesn't become not useful just because it's an IPS Weapon.

with a high Status Chance, an Automatic Weapon applies dozens of Status Effects in mere moments. you will get a nice mix of results then, some of everything.

- - - - -

besides, Boltor Prime doesn't have any weaknesses to justify it's Damage, therefore making it Overpowered in the first place.

Soma is in the same boat, it doesn't have any significant weaknesses for it's incredible Damage per shot. it's still incredibly Accurate and has plenty of Ammo. it only pays in a mild reduction of Status, which ends up not really mattering because it gains incredible amounts of Damage.

however, Soma Series would be fine in my mind provided the Accuracy when spooled up was lower. ~18-19 'Accuracy' (since that stat is compound and therefore quite vague) would keep it from being able to magdump and get Crits on Weakpoints.

- - - - -

anyways, the only problem i can think that is probably here, is you're not using the right Damage Types.

against Armored Enemies, the Damage Types that have the largest bonuses against the Armor are REQUIRED. 100% required. you must have them. period.

the Assault Rifles which are practical to use in higher Level Missions is not a huge variety, but this is only because the majority of them are simple, flexible Weapons for newer Players.

BoltorP

Soma Series

BratonP

Prisma Grakata

Karak Wraith

Dera Vandal

are all quite effective at Killing all sorts of Enemies. Tetra might... be able to be on that list, but i don't think it's a practical choice.

BurstonP and Tiberon are very viable, however aren't necessarily Assault Rifles.

again, if you're having trouble, the first guess i can make is you aren't using the right Damage Types against your Enemies. because this makes a difference of a factor of atleast 5x less shots needed to Kill.

^ where is the sticky for this?

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

There's no damn thing as a LMG that people just run around with. They're Squad Automatic Weapons, but well, SAWs get shoved into the LMG catagory in every other game.

Fun fact: Machineguns or SAWs are defined by A: large magazine size B: The ability to withstand the stress of constant firing. (They fire fast enough to melt their own barrels, heck ARs do too, but ARs aren`t expected to put as much supressing fire downrange) C: Greater than average weight (Result of A and B).

Nowhere in that list does stormtrooper aim come into play besides possibly recoil (And as a heavier weapon, machineguns inherently absorb recoil better anyways).

For example, the M249 SAW (Yes, SAW, not LMG) is more accurate than the AK-series assault rifles because AK-pattern weapons are designed for idiot conscripts who can`t be trusted not bring the gun with them to a mud bath and forget to clean the thing before shooting.

Or stick a pie in it or something.

Seriously, AKs have stupidly wide tolerences.

Also, the Soma does look the part,

Bren Mk2 LMG

bren_mk2.jpg

Type 99 LMG

Type99LMG.JPG

Fun fact: Carlos Hathcock took a M2 Browning Machine Gun (Big ! tripod machine gun) and stuck a scope on it and called the result a Sniper Rifle. (made a shot over 2.25km too)

While i respect your firearms knowledge, I believe the first official sniper rifle was the British Whitworth back in the heat of the civil war. Of course it could have been that the term was not coined till then.

The main difference between modern assault rifles and LMGs is that LMGs are belt-fed while assault rifles are magazine fed.

So I think of every magazine fed rifle as being an assault rifle.  From both functionality and aesthetics standpoints, they are assault rifles.

Keeping in mind both the AK series and the AR-15 series are classified as assault rifles... but the AR-15 series is more of a precision rifle while the AK series is more of an automatic machine gun.  Since neither, however, is typically mounted on a bipod/tripod, they both qualify as rifles rather than as LMGs.

The day I see a soma on a bipod with a belt feeding it ammunition is the day I call it a LMG.  Until then, it's an assault rifle.

While i respect your firearms knowledge, I believe the first official sniper rifle was the British Whitworth back in the heat of the civil war. Of course it could have been that the term was not coined till then.

No, Carlos Hathcock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

This guy.

he used a M2 Browning with a scope during the Vietnam War, which had the nessecary power to make long-range shots.

I would scoff at this, but it is a bit weird that daggers deal more damage per hit than allot of the rifles in this game, so... yeah...

Yeah, daggers are so OP. We need to nerf daggers and buff Boltor Prime. 

Weapons are not exactly the problem. Players and their expectations are the problem. End game is in the solar system not in the void. Despite what we as players would like to think, the devs literally stop giving a fk once you get past the planets/random heavenly bodies they decided to put content on. Everything else is players deciding what is best and brightest.

Sure the devs set the stats but those stats are in no way designed to be balanced against the content that we all use as a deciding factor of a weapons worth.

About the only thing we can say unequivocally needs a look is the enemy armor scaling mechanics as those (as we all know) have been out of hand for a long time.