The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender Options For Warframes?

Nina3004

Hi DE this is just a thing i have been wandering for a long time.

Will there be Gender options for Warframes?

I whould love to see it in the furture.

It´s nothing you have to do right now take your time but just have this small comment in the head okey?

I hope you will notice my little massage.

Loves your trusty Warframe player Nina3004.

<3 <3 <3 3<3.

Fortunately it's a thing they have already answered. Over the last two years. There is a thread like this appearing every week, roughly.

DE said no.

It´s nothing you have to do right now

... or ever.

DE has stated that they do not want to do this.

They would rather focus on creating a new frame entirely then just a gender swapped skin of a frame that already exists.

The closest that they will get is making a frame of a similar concept while keeping it distinct.
Such as having a Male Ember analogue that is a fire using frame but has completely different abilities and a different play style than Ember does.

They were originally meaning to make Nyx a female excalibur, and you see how that turned out in the end.

Isnt a "Warframe" male or female, a suit that the Tenno is wearing?? if so how is there a gender at all?  Is the Tenno an Asexual creature or are we playing as different entities all together.  I was under the impression that the frames are different suits sort of like Iron Man has.  A little insight would be cool as I am somewhat new to the game.

There are no gender options of existing Frames. Even with Excalibur and Nyx, they have similarities in looks/design, but their powers operate differently.

Excalibur with his melee specialties and one CC, and Nyx with enemy manipulation (CC).

So if you do introduce an alternate gender version of an existing Frame, the powers must work a little differently. I think the closest is Mirage and Loki, where their theme is enemy manipulation. Loki is with stealth and CC in mind, while Mirage is with CC and some damage support in mind.

Ash is like a hybrid Loki and Excalibur with damage and stealth.

Trinity and Frost can be seen as a little bit similar with their coat tails. But Trinity is about healing/support, while Frost is about damage and defense support.

Rhino and Valkyr are a bit similar. Rhino is the original tank and support and is more team friendly with his team buff and CC-ish? Valkyr is a tank in her own right, but people call her a berserker (she fits the general category as one), but she has a kind of a CC move and support buff for teams.

Equinox.... for your 2 in one..... even though Equinox has been referred to as "her" regardless of the switches....

That's about as much of a comparison with Warframe gender alternates that I can compare with similar-ish design and possibly powers....

Edited by VoidWraith

Will there be Gender options for Warframes?

I whould love to see it in the furture.

It´s nothing you have to do right now take your time but just have this small comment in the head okey?

I hope you will notice my little massage.

Loves your trusty Warframe player Nina3004.

<3 <3 <3 3<3.

This is an issue that the various people inside of Digital Extremes did not all agree on.

In the end, after DE discussed and debated the issue internally they decided against it for now.

To be clear, DE's stance is "no plans to do it but never say never".

So when you see people making huge claims that DE said its never going to happen or that it ruins something about the game...

or whatever other exaggerations.....just ignore it. 

No gender swaps for now, perhaps never, but its not ruled out for some future expansion.

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. It takes a lot of work to make a frame, and it could be better spent on making a brand new frame altogether. Still, it is a possibility.

Correct. Look at how long it is taking to make the Pre-Corpus Valkyr. You guys basically want that for EVERY Warframe. That is freak'n insane. Yes, I understand that you want to be able to envision yourself in your favorite Warframe but they can't do that AND make other new content like the content for U17.5 or U18 as soon as you want. I think it's fair that they try and keep it even between male and female with the Warframes and I like it. 

DE has already said no to gender switching options. Honestly, they aren't really needed from neither a gameplay nor a lore/story perspective.

It's pretty much been confirmed at this point that the gender of a warframe has no bearing whatsoever on the gender of the Tenno inside. At this point, the most plausible theory is that Tenno can change between being physically male or female at will, as evidenced by the all-male Tenno in the cryopods on defense missions. This wouldn't change their gender identity, though, just their physical sex.

So really, the Tenno you play as is whatever gender you want them to be. The clothes you wear don't affect what's in your head or in your pants.