Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would You Consider Warframe A Better Version Of Destiny?

Institute-Marksman

Destiny was pretty awful IMO. It didn't hold my attention for very long. I think I got to level 20. In Warframe I have over 2k hours of play time. The story / lore was done very poorly in Destiny. The world looked nice I think on Earth, but most of the other planets are kind of blah, like they gave up caring. Also most of the enemies were kind of sad... there was just something about the enemies that seems off.

That is Story.

Not lore, Story. 

You of all people should understand that.

To me? You cannot compare them fairly. They are different games in different styles.

But you know what? I prefer Destiny over WF. Why?

Because right now, WF is boring. Everything I do earns me nothing of interest. 

While in Destiny, I jump with glee when I get a new legendary or a new exotic. 

The PvP is fun (even though Shotguns are the bane of my existence) and the art style just blows me away. I feel like I'm doing something of worth in Destiny, but in WF, I feel like whatever I do is nothing.

The lore for Destiny is great (even though it's tied behind a damned website).

But Destiny is a flawed game, but it is getting better. The Taken King is a huge leap on the right direction.

Okay, fine, but once again, what can Warframe learn from Destiny to make it better?

Okay, fine, but once again, what can Warframe learn from Destiny to make it better?

More interesting loot, more quests (which they are doing, but at a snail space), a reason to keep grinding (this is the main reason why I stopped playing WF, because a lot of the time, I feel like what I'm doing is worth nothing). More cinematic aspects (like having cutscenes, not in the same sense as Destiny, but something that makes things feel more impactful. Remember the mission where you're supposed to first see the Infested? Why not have a cutscene appear that shows a Grineer running for his life, only to be swarmed by Chargers. They then take notice of you, and it goes back into your control in a seamless transition). 

More interesting loot, more quests (which they are doing, but at a snail space), a reason to keep grinding (this is the main reason why I stopped playing WF, because a lot of the time, I feel like what I'm doing is worth nothing). More cinematic aspects (like having cutscenes, not in the same sense as Destiny, but something that makes things feel more impactful. Remember the mission where you're supposed to first see the Infested? Why not have a cutscene appear that shows a Grineer running for his life, only to be swarmed by Chargers. They then take notice of you, and it goes back into your control in a seamless transition).

Hokay, so... a campaign mode. When U18 comes out I'd encourage you to give the second dream a whirl, I guess. Seems to me as though U18 is the one update they've dedicated to fixing a lot of Warframe's bad crap. Maybe next year will be the "year of campaign". Edited by S.T.M.P.D

The only thing i would want Warframe to incorporate, that Destiny does, is the armor system. Meaning helmets, braces, pads, etc. gives you extra health (or make your frame stronger). In warframe, aside from the helmets, when you add armor, all you get is a new look. It should enhance something, especially if you spend platinum on it.

They are 2 different games this comparison is slightly odd because the only similarities are purely superficial and only similar in the most basic of ways.

I dont play destiny but all my house mates do, and Destiny feels more like an evolution of the multiplayer in Halo with the addition of PvE content than it does like warframe. You cant just go 

"Oh, well powers and guns and MMO so same right?"

Warframe TBH feels closer to Vindictus than it does to Destiny by miles

Destiny is a massive money-grab, and Warframe is too, but less obviously so, and DE has a far better finger on the pulse of the community than Bungie does with Destiny. When a company releases a game that is no more than a skeleton of what it should become and pre-plans millions of dollars ahead in terms of design, you know they are going to milk the concept to the bone. And ever since the first expac for Destiny, they have been milking. HARD. Bungie has gone the Ubisoft way of making games, except they do it with an MMO instead of some old IP that has been chewed and spat out a few dozen times. It belongs to the kind of developer I absolutely loathe.

Warframe is most certainly a better Destiny with a lot of similar elements, but Warframe has far more content and variation to it. Destiny is just Borderlands Online, let's face it. You shoot stuff and loot stuff. Warframe allows me to get my Ninja on, while shooting stuff. Instant win. Add to that the part that Warframe is F2P and NOT ON CONSOLE and it's a no-brainer. 120 fps goodness.

Edited by V4YR4

what? lol

Oh, the consoles can play Warframe too, I know, but they don't have to. Still a big plus. Not to mention the fact PC release is ahead of the consoles as well. When you're stuck with a PS4 or XB1, I consider that a choice of evils. But hey, I'm a PC gamer, to each his own.

Edited by V4YR4

Oh, the consoles can play Warframe too, I know, but they don't have to. Still a big plus. Not to mention the fact PC release is ahead of the consoles as well. When you're stuck with a PS4 or XB1, I consider that a choice of evils. But hey, I'm a PC gamer, to each his own.

ok you just meant console exclusive lol the way you said it sounded weird. 

I have to say that first and foremost I do not have a ton of experience playing Destiny. I believe if my memory serves me correctly I played it once at a friends house and aside from watching some people play it I do not have any experience with the game. I will also say I was originally going to get Destiny, but started playing Warframe, love it, and never looked back.

So overall from my greater amount of experience with Warframe vs Destiny plus the fact that Warframe literally made me abandon my desire to play Destiny, I have to say Warframe is a better game.

However there are aspects of Destiny that I think is better than Warframe.

1) Bigger Maps - Destiny (once again in the limited experience I have with it) feels larger than Warframe. Like the maps you play on just feels larger.

2) Visually Stunning - While I have no quarrels with Warframe's graphics, I do think head to head against Destiny I'd have to give Destiny the upper-hand here.

3) PVP - Destiny PVP is better than the current state of Warframe PVP Conclave (or it felt like it when I played it).

And I would say from my limited experience with Destiny those are the only 3 things I thought was better than Warframe.

I won't lie I play both...  Been grinding some of the new "Taken King" stuff on Destiny, but...  Signing onto play Warframe over the weekend, was like breathing fresh air.  The movement so fast, the guns so good, the action so fast.

Destiny does some things well, and they fixed 80% of what was bad about it when it was first released.  HOWEVER, I just don't see myself playing it for 2000 plus hours like I have with Warframe.

Warframe did the Ninja/Wizards with guns and swords first.  XD

I have to say that first and foremost I do not have a ton of experience playing Destiny. I believe if my memory serves me correctly I played it once at a friends house and aside from watching some people play it I do not have any experience with the game. I will also say I was originally going to get Destiny, but started playing Warframe, love it, and never looked back.

So overall from my greater amount of experience with Warframe vs Destiny plus the fact that Warframe literally made me abandon my desire to play Destiny, I have to say Warframe is a better game.

However there are aspects of Destiny that I think is better than Warframe.

1) Bigger Maps - Destiny (once again in the limited experience I have with it) feels larger than Warframe. Like the maps you play on just feels larger.

2) Visually Stunning - While I have no quarrels with Warframe's graphics, I do think head to head against Destiny I'd have to give Destiny the upper-hand here.

3) PVP - Destiny PVP is better than the current state of Warframe PVP Conclave (or it felt like it when I played it).

And I would say from my limited experience with Destiny those are the only 3 things I thought was better than Warframe.

ive put about 500 hrs in destiny and 900+ in warframe , the maps in warframe are about the same size , destiny looks big but you can't travel everywhere you acutely see ,

The only thing I'll give destiny is that it runs smooth , easy to control

before all, i have more than 1000 hours of Warframe, but still, i never played destiny, just looking at youtube, reviews, this topic, wiki...

so, maybe, this can show stupid amount of details for warframe, but not too much for Destiny

i will try make a short summary:

Destiny goods:

- has more polished mechanics, from combat to mobility

- polished visual effects, plus the music and sounds in-game

- you can feel the character progressing over the levels due to the perk system

- the game is newbie friendly

- the "open world mode" called "patrol" looks interesting in concept, because that mode can make you feel like you are in a world in constant motion, with players doing their own thing or joining for a common goal in open-wide area

- useful vehicle to move in large parts of the mission

- PvP in general, besides some problems with "one-shot kills"

bads:

- you need to pay before start playing the game, not knowing whether you like this game genre or not (i know, you can look at youtube, reviews... but still can't try it by yourself because doesn't have any demo/zero-cost mode)

- doesn't have trading system, basically you need to do by yourself if you want (and you will) for legendary or exotic weapons {you trade your ammo for their drops...but ammo doesn't cost anything...  hahaha, congratulations, you broken the market}

- level of customization isn't great (and even with theses... Shaders, you need to farm them)

- DLCs that's costs you (influenced by game financing method, because they do not have micro-transactions) but still, mostly of the history of the game shows up in DLC {i could tell you about the power of the darkness, i could tell you.... but i won't} edit: looks like the DLC The Taken King has demonstration... but this doesn't apply to all DLCs

- without right equipments (that give to you "light attribute"), you can't pass the level 20, plus this can limit your appereance somehow {looks like they removed this light system}

- too much RNG without guaranteed alternative method (looks like the game have an "lottery-like" thing, but still doesn't remove the RNG)

- you can't change you class without creating a new character and this doesn't share your progress between them {i am wrong?}, forcing yourself to do everything more 2 times to get on the pace of your initial character and give the choice for you

- most of the story of the game (especially from characters) isn't told inside of it, you need to go to his page to see with which intention you are going to this place or that specific mission (kill this one because he is ugly? because you can finally end the game? or because he carry one weapon that's useful for you, but he can't use?)

- since the game doesn't give anything shared between players (like identical drops and rewards), comically the community isn't friendly, besides the game itself being newbie friendly

- besides it have more open-wide area, they keep landing near of the same spot every time... there's other places? because on a planet (like Earth), have at least 3-4 different areas of interest would be a good, but only one? what the hell happened? 

- the game forgot to consider the spawn locations of enemies, because does not change every time you visit that specific mission

Warframe goods:

- its free to play, you can get most of everything in-game just by play it

- you can earn platinum and most of the stuff in-game by trading

- events, quests in general and in-game codexs (from Cephalon Simaris or Prime warframes) can tell something about the story of the game

- every weapon released can be crafted or earned by play it (labs to research, foundry to built, syndicates to exchange favors or events to earn some special-variant ones)

- still in rapid development, that bring some new, but small, updates every week and some major updates every 4 months, plus some event between them

- huge customization, from colors and accessories to weapons and warframes (classes)

- The foundry isn't limited to craft only one thing each time (of the same thing, yes, but you can craft more than 20 different items at same time) and still, doesn't cost anything to keep your thing ready inside the foundry, until you claim it (this rule applies to weapons/warframes, consumables doesn't have limits to carry inside your ship)

- High ability to maneuver and combat, considering you can run on the walls, on top of cables, can do giant leaps (using bullet jump), glide temporarily in the air, double jump, roll ... plus the weapons/warframe, you can use your primary weapon, secondary, meele, your companion and your powers

- every reward of the game are shared between the entire squad (except the void containers, that are random), but each player need to pickup his things (method to reduce Afk-farmers)

- every faction has personality (grinner works for the Twin Queens and everything that they do need to work as a weapon or utility for war specifically, Corpus does everything for profit and some of his weapons can be used as tools, like Serro and Quanta, infested its more generic faction, like flood/monster/mutated... they just want to assimilate everything, Orokin, that creates almost every faction of the game and has, in the past, an great empire which still influences other factions (corpus and grinner for their tecnology, infested and sentient was created by them)... but every faction still has its peculiarities, as characters who end up helping other factions, like the merchant Darvo (Corpus), Syndicate Steel Meridian (Grinner)

if you didn't the Natah's quest, spoiler ahead

Lotus (Sentient)

bads:

- besides its free to play, there's one mechanic about it that can be called as a flaw: you need platinum to earn more space to keep your weapon/warframe, besides you can get some platinum by trading with others or manage this reduced amount of slots to keep your favorite arsenal and leveling your mastery rank

- still not polished enough, because there's warframes and mods that need some overhaul after some mechanic changes (Zephyr warframe, pure status mods, aura mods...)

- some huge timewalls (example: equinox need at least 6 days and 12 hour to craft it entirely, chroma/mirage/limbo need at least 4 days and 12 hours to make, because you need to craft every part individually to progress in their missions...), the average  of the weapons in game need 12-24 hours to craft, warframes, 3 days and 12 hours

- low amount of cutscenes

- warframe isn't newbie friendly, because some mandatory mods (that will change in 2 weeks... probably), plus the game doesn't teach about the solar map progression, how to mod effectively [example: the game doesn't teach why i'm not supposed to use Pistol Gambit (that raise the critical chance of the weapon based on its base values) properly for my Kunai (that's have 2.5% critical chance)]

- PvP still in its early stages, with their random bugs like Equinox that put everyone to sleep and killing without any comeback (fixed), Nyx forcing the player to drop the Cephalon (fixed already)... and tweaking every weapon (besides the game already separate its values and mods)

- RNG can still be uncomfortable here, especially inside some endless missions, because you can do the same key for 1 hour/ 60 waves/12 waves or try 3 keys for 20 minutes / 20 waves / 4 waves to get the same thing, besides the first option can save your keys, but the difficulty can not compensate

- the alert system, besides give to you the immersion and some exclusive rewards, most of them isn't valuable because they give 3-12k credits, and even those valuables has time limit of 30 minutes-70 minutes, double if they are forma blueprint, orokin catalyst/reator or vauban component, what's happen when one show between 1hs and 7hs in your timeline? you can't stay awakened for everything

I can not guarantee my impartiality here because I have preferences for Warframe and Destiny... i don't know everything about it, but even so, it was what I could do here to highlight flaws and qualities of both games

Edited by Zeyez

bads:

- you need to pay before start playing the game, not knowing whether you like this game genre or not (i know, you can look at youtube, reviews... but still can't try it by yourself because doesn't have any demo/zero-cost mode)

- without right equipments (that give to you "light attribute"), you can't pass the level 20, plus this can limit your appereance somehow

Here are some inaccuracies:

There is a Demo for the Taken King.

The light attribute has been removed from the game, it's been changed so that your defense and attack value of your gear increase your light level. 

While the rest of your negatives are accurate, these two aren't.

Here are some inaccuracies:

There is a Demo for the Taken King.

The light attribute has been removed from the game, it's been changed so that your defense and attack value of your gear increase your light level. 

While the rest of your negatives are accurate, these two aren't.

light attribute removed? looks like i don't found some newer reviews...

but demo of the DLC? if i don't have the base game, how i can play it?

anyway, the others DLCs has demo?

I put some edits based on what you wrote here

Edited by Zeyez

The way I see Warframe and Desetiny is that they're yin and yang. Warframe is 100% better in the PVE regard of things while Destiny is 100% in the PVP regard of things but they both share the same whole which IS WELCOME TO THE GRIND! but warframe is still a better game imo.