Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mr20+ Locked Weapons

DiosGX

Hypothetically.

There is talk of an MR audit afoot. It led me to wonder, in the aftermath of restructuring the damage output and assigning more adequate Mastery Rank locks on available weapons—and coinciding with the eventual release of Sentients as actual foes to face in combat—that we are, how they say, "going to need bigger guns."

When I began this game, Mastery Rank 16 was roughly the highest MR level most players were able to reach. A choice few could achieve 17, and founders that stayed persistent could hit 18. There's just such a wealth of new gear available today that Mastery Rank 19 is achievable for most players that started fairly recently.

The imposed MR20 lockout is literally just a random number I pulled out of my pants for postulation purposes, and based on the average achievable Mastery Rank for an average player, were they to begin playing around this time. I'm wondering, however, where this is going to lead the future of weapon designs in Warframe.

With new staples, standards and regulations in place for weapons' stats and Mastery Rank locks, are we going to continue seeing the same average weapon strength levels we've seen thus far? Or will there eventually be weapons intended and designed to be clear-and-simple power houses, intended to be locked behind grind walls?

None of this is to say that "MR means something," although it does mean a few things. Just none of the individual data, in and of itself, means much of anything. But that applies to any type of information in any field—in a game or not.

But rather from a standpoint of designing a game that you want people to continue playing because it's how your company makes money; bottle-necking players into grinding out more gear to acquire something of tremendous power would be a difficult carrot not to be tantalized by.

The question is, would you do it? o3o

Edited by DiosGX

At the moment the highest mastery lock should be about 16 (soma prime, kulstar, tonkor, and syndicate melee's come into mind for this), but once we hit MR24 then sure why not, the highest weapon lock should always be roughly 4 or 5 ranks below Max rank, give people time to get up there for future updates when higher weapons hit and then juggle older weapons around.

Arbitrary numbers are arbitrarily arbitrary.

It's not just about max, it's about pacing.

Like if you start a new account and max out your starter weapons and level up one new frame you wanted from a farmable boss. where are you now? Lets say that's Rank 4. You go to the forums and ask "What are the best weapons available to me as a MR4?" and you come away with three weapons you want, one for each slot. You max those three, get another frame and your Kubrow from the quest is finished cooking and ranked to 30. Where are you now? Three more weapons... an archwing and two archwing weapons... Limbo quest... and another frame or two... what rank is that?

Then remember, at some point a rank up curve breaks because mods max out. By the time you have a maxed archwing set, a few frames and a few guns you probably also have a good collection of maxed mods so there's nothing in the game you can't do... This creates a new problem of where exactly do you put a MR20+ item? Are we going to have MR9-12 players in nightmare rai- trials contributing, even carrying, and then we tell them they can't have the reward?

The whole progression of the game would need to be stretched out (READ: Grind increased?) for MR20+ to make sense for normal items IMO. I'm not looking forward to that lose-lose for DE.

Edited by VKhaun

I don't see the point in forcing people to level a bunch of mastery fodder weapons before giving them access to the good stuff. It's just grind for grind's sake. Most of the time people don't even use the weapons they're leveling.

This is why high MR locks are stupid.

I play a lot, have almost every frame (need 2 Primes), have different companions that I've maxed, and I'm MR 12. Why the hell should I get a S#&$ ton more weapons that I don't care for or want at all just to be able to unlock more stuff. That's redicilous.

If you got MR from things you forma then it wouldn't be an issue, but having to have weapon fodder is just plain $&*&*#(%&.

They could include ways around the "wall" though.

Maybe something that can't be traded that removes MR requirements and can only be gotten in very difficult content. Maybe like, set bonuses where a certain special Grineer weapon with a low MR requirement (Seer?) allows the use of other Grineer tech regardless of mastery if it's equipped. 

They could also segregate content. Like a specific, second MR set for Corpus tech so a player could specialize in Corpus and use those with less grinding, but the overall collection of everything in-game would still take a lot.

mr8 should be where the highest or more powerfull weapons locked anything above that is entering into game abandonment territory. lets face it from a players standpoint the way the game is going now with everything from rng to void keys to mods to weapons to build weapon and soon to be frame to build umbra whatever its one big piz pot of grind and boring.

lets see if DE can make it worthwhile like before, even the excitement when red text comes is dying because players are now hip to something getting the axe while other more important stuff is forgotten.

They could include ways around the "wall" though.

Maybe something that can't be traded that removes MR requirements and can only be gotten in very difficult content. Maybe like, set bonuses where a certain special Grineer weapon with a low MR requirement (Seer?) allows the use of other Grineer tech regardless of mastery if it's equipped. 

They could also segregate content. Like a specific, second MR set for Corpus tech so a player could specialize in Corpus and use those with less grinding, but the overall collection of everything in-game would still take a lot.

Best idea so far.

I don't like MR locked weapons.

I prefer MR to be given a meaning by some other ways, but this method is definitely a big no no.

Just sharing my Point of view.

Edit: players missing out on exclusive weapons/ stuff (like Void trader' weapon) will lose out in the Mastery Rank XP rush.

Edited by low1991

I don't see the point in forcing people to level a bunch of mastery fodder weapons before giving them access to the good stuff. It's just grind for grind's sake. Most of the time people don't even use the weapons they're leveling.

Make all weapons interesting and fun to use.

There is no more mastery fodder.

High MR requirement doesn't make the game feel grindy-er.

High MR requirement doesn't make the game feel grindy-er.

Problem:

-depends on what term of 'fun' are you using. BL-type of fun? or Crysis3-type of fun? or those fun where you can slaughter every single living entity.

-Master fodder will always exist as long as we'r allowed to view the amount of damage we deal to the enemies. In this case, the lowest DPS weapon will be concluded as mastery rank fodder.

-Higher MR = longer time to get those so-called 'OP' / 'special' weapons. And not all players are cash-players. There are non-cash players with limited weapon/ frame slots... and a budget of 50 plat at start. Dont tell me to start trading when the trade chat is a HUGE MESS and every player (stalking in trade chat) will ripe newbie off left right and center. What's more, what is there for these new players to sell, when what we all need are something that these new players will never get till they progress more in the game, with LIMITED slots?

Problem:

-depends on what term of 'fun' are you using. BL-type of fun? or Crysis3-type of fun? or those fun where you can slaughter every single living entity.

-Master fodder will always exist as long as we'r allowed to view the amount of damage we deal to the enemies. In this case, the lowest DPS weapon will be concluded as mastery rank fodder.

-Higher MR = longer time to get those so-called 'OP' / 'special' weapons. And not all players are cash-players. There are non-cash players with limited weapon/ frame slots... and a budget of 50 plat at start. Dont tell me to start trading when the trade chat is a HUGE MESS and every player (stalking in trade chat) will ripe newbie off left right and center. What's more, what is there for these new players to sell, when what we all need are something that these new players will never get till they progress more in the game, with LIMITED slots?

- The warframe type of fun ;)

- Placing weapons on the MR ladder based on their DPS would make it so that whatever weapon you need to max is also the highest DPS available to you.

- You can sell weapons that you don't want to use anymore. A single 370plat bundle with a 50% login discount can be bought for cheap and will give you plenty of space.

There are also event weapons that have shown up twice. For example I have 2 sets of Dex Furis and Twin Wraith Vipers. When and if they reintroduce snipertron I'll have another set of that too. That's 2, potentially 3 free slots at least for me.

No way, MR12 for syndicate was already a bad move imo. MR should reward the players, not being a cheap wall.

I'm fine with MR restriction on some weapons and i'm totally fine if the rework increase some previously MR 2 restriction. But that should stop around MR8/10. 

There was an awesome thread linking MR with forma leveling, the higher your MR the easier it get to level your forma weapons

Every 5 MR you gain a slot for a weapon 

MR 10/20 here, have a free potato/exilus 

MR 15 a 4th config slot on your weapons

MR 25 a 4th appearance slot

some cosmetic/skin/armor

Just some random examples but that's the kind of stuff i would like with MR, rewards, like we have for standing/loadouts/extractor. 

If DE could easily make all weapons interesting and fun, they should do that first. Then we'll talk. While they're at it, they should make potatoes and forma the default, because most weapons are useless in high-end content without them. Until they do that, you'll never see people using their fresh weapons instead of old ones. And DE will never do that, because potatoes are one of the game's main plat sinks.