Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Talk About Warframe "genders" Idea?

-Ozymandias-

i still support more the theory of "energy beings" or, as you said, consciousness.

Aye, and I think that the "energy beings"/Conciousness/Soul idea fits in well with that idea of "the closest I've seen is brain in a jar" - again because "brain in a jar"s core idea is this disembodied consciousness, an ego and mind that can be moved around, and that's how I see that particular theory.

We're NOT ghosts, we're not energy that can just walk around, we're minds with form - inhabiting the Warframes as using them as our body.

I believe each Warframe is a different person in the suit. Males and females. Don't they also make sounds when fighting? The voices change. Unless DE states otherwise, I'll always see each Warframe as their own person. Personality changes for each Frame as well, in how they stand/move.

There are a million theories because of all the fan fiction, but DE has pretty much stayed out of it so far. 

With the exception of Valkyr's and Rhino's roars, those are just ability sound effects, not character voices.

Might want to play through Limbo Theorem.

@Morec0 I have no doubt you are more humble and analytical person than your posts indicate, but, internet being internet, overconfidence and lack of critical thinking is what shows on my end. Not much different how I quite possibly come across as massive A****** on your end. If so, I apologize. Still I'd like to request from you to make it clear that your theories are theories when children like Urlan are around. Only so they don't get wrong impression, mix theories with facts and annoy grownups with "common knowledge".

That's not just my personal theory, man, that's a WIDELY accepted belief in the fandom - the Technocyte Warframe idea, at any rate. And I believe it's clear enough that the ideas being discussed here are all simply theories.
Edited by Morec0

First of all game mechanics DO. NOT. APPLY. Frames and weapons use many unfitting resources. Oberon, for one, doesn't use single organic or semi-organic material.

I'm curious, what do you think the Warframes are made of? I see a lot of people refer to them as just machines and completely ignore the seamless designs and parts on most Warframes. I'm not sure if those people believe it's spandex or fabric but the Warframe/Tenno aesthetic is labeled techno-organic.

With the exception of Valkyr's and Rhino's roars, those are just ability sound effects, not character voices.

Might want to play through Limbo Theorem.

I have no desire to own Limbo, so never played anything related to him.

The devs have said in previous devstreams that they had no plans to make female/male versions of each costume, because they viewed each one as a character. If they were just swapping suits around, then it would make sense to have a male/female version of each suit.

Granted, the Warframes ARE suits, so it may be that one can swap out suits, but each one seems to have a unique personality to me when playing. If there is more on this in Limbo Theorem, I'll check it out.

I have no desire to own Limbo, so never played anything related to him.

The devs have said in previous devstreams that they had no plans to make female/male versions of each costume, because they viewed each one as a character. If they were just swapping suits around, then it would make sense to have a male/female version of each suit.

Granted, the Warframes ARE suits, so it may be that one can swap out suits, but each one seems to have a unique personality to me when playing. If there is more on this in Limbo Theorem, I'll check it out.

I"m not sure if that's exactly what was said, though I remember that coming up, but based on ingame statements from Ordis:

"Well, perhaps when you occupy this Warframe you'll use more... caution."

Basically saying we, the Tenno who rebuilt the Limbo Warframe, would be the one to wear it - regardless of what Warframe we're using at that point. That itself then lends to the notion we switch between all the Warframes - as well as Ordis' reference to us as a singular "Operator".

Edited by Morec0

This is what me and my friends thought, it may not be right:

Tenno are Orokin outcasts sent to the void. It is there they are changed and deformed into the Tenno. All the Warframes come from an original owner, who are now long gone. It is up to us, (New-Age Tenno) to recover these relics of the first Tenno and wear them as our own, claiming their powers. (What's fun to think about, is Tenno didn't need the warframe to use their powers, just to amplify and control them. Which means we aren't wielding these powers at 100% strength. Imagine that.)

I"m not sure if that's exactly what was said, though I remember that coming up, but based on ingame statements from Ordis:

"Well, perhaps when you occupy this Warframe you'll use more... caution."

Basically saying we, the Tenno who rebuilt the Limbo Warframe, would be the one to wear it - regardless of what Warframe we're using at that point. That itself then lends to the notion we switch between all the Warframes - as well as Ordis' reference to us as a singular "Operator".

Yeah, that makes sense. I can see the consciousness idea being swapped in/out of suits, that lets the suits be male or female physically, though one "being" is able to swap through them. I'm very curious where DE will go with it, if they finish the lore to that point.

Honestly, I don't think DE put any thought into that originally, when we just had the 3-4 original warframes, but as the game grew they are having to figure out a backstory that works. It's entirely possible they find/found a fan-theory they like, and have been building off that too.

Edited by nefrai

I'm curious, what do you think the Warframes are made of? I see a lot of people refer to them as just machines and completely ignore the seamless designs and parts on most Warframes. I'm not sure if those people believe it's spandex or fabric but the Warframe/Tenno aesthetic is labeled techno-organic.

Are you implying machines can't be made seamless in design?

Honestly, I don't think DE put any thought into that originally, when we just had the 3-4 original warframes, but as the game grew they are having to figure out a backstory that works. It's entirely possible they find/found a fan-theory they like, and have been building off that too.

Aye, even I can agree that in the beginning they didn't really have everything planned out, both storywise and game-direction wise, but as the game attracted more and more people and got bigger and bigger that changed. I see the time around the Vor's Prize tutorial update as when DE really buckled down and started to flesh the lore out in a single particular direction.

Why are you answering me with a question to divert this to what i think? Answer my first question. 

I'm trying to divert what to where? I'm sincerely interested what you mean.

As for your question: I have no clue. Most likely you have no clue and I wouldn't be surprised if DE have no clue.

Now answer my question: are you implying machines can't be made seamless in design!

I believe each Warframe is a different person in the suit. Males and females. Don't they also make sounds when fighting? The voices change. Unless DE states otherwise, I'll always see each Warframe as their own person. Personality changes for each Frame as well, in how they stand/move.

There are a million theories because of all the fan fiction, but DE has pretty much stayed out of it so far. 

You go and find warframe PARTS

Then BUILD them in your foundry.

Then WEAR them.

You go and find warframe PARTS

Then BUILD them in your foundry.

Then WEAR them.

True, lol.

I know they are suits, but with the varied sizes (some that are basically skin tight), they seemed tailored specifically for certain body types. The idea that the user is a brain or energy makes sense though, since then it doesn't matter what the frame's build is. This is also why the lore seems illogical so far to me, because each frame seems to have a distinct personality in how they move/stand. They seem to be individual, but like you said we are putting suits together and putting them on. Unless we are building the Warframe and then 'waking up' the consciousness inside. And then you get your million theories of what the Tenno really are.

As for your question: I have no clue. Most likely you have no clue and I wouldn't be surprised if DE have no clue.

If you read my post you'd know that DE has a clue and that clue is what i'm inclined to believe. See the spoiler.

nmvPSNp.jpg

Not the only time they have been referenced as tech/organic IIRC.

Your question is also irrelevant. I'm pretty sure you know full and well, that everyone knows a machine can be seamless.

I was curious as to why you seem to be quick to shutdown any post/comment that says the Warframes might be made of Technocyte or something similar. That lead me to wondering what do you believe the Warframe "skin" or flaps are made of.

Edited by EmptyDevil

Yes. By lore. Things that are said by Vor, for example, are metaphors. Vor is what I call traditional. He seeks knowledge and is wise on how the Tenno even exist. Even more so, the obvious foreshadowing themes he speaks of when you fight him in T4 missions. How he speaks almost like some religious zealot only shows how he understands more about what's out there. While Corpus sit and swim in their little puddles of useless money, Grineer pillage and destroy and conquer for the sake of conquest, and Tenno do what they do best, Vor knows about the nasty things that happened. He knows the truth behind the Orokin, how the Tenno are made. "Corruption", that is what Tenno are. Twisted and wretched abominations with powers of a god. This is all a small example, though I would love to discuss more should you wish.

Huh, zealots in real life are full of S#&$. Why would Vor be different? 

Honestly, I hate the idea of a singular pilot across each frame. I prefer the idea that there are multiple Tenno awaiting deployment, each with their own distinct personality. I feel that the player should be like a dispatcher role, telling who to go where as needed. 

I love the thought that in their downtime, the Tenno like to relax in the orbiter common areas, comparing accomplishments and developing relationships. It gives things a sense of life beyond the very sparse interactions the game actually provides. Everyone so serious, moody, and quiet (except the lotus, who won't stop talking).

Instead, we're almost literally what we are in real life...Tenno may as well be fat gamer kids who got a PC in the void and are locked up in the orbiter drinking Mt. Dew, spamming region with the bullS#&$ you usually find there, and wiping Doritos dust off our hands between firefights...That's really sad.

True, lol.

I know they are suits, but with the varied sizes (some that are basically skin tight), they seemed tailored specifically for certain body types. The idea that the user is a brain or energy makes sense though, since then it doesn't matter what the frame's build is. This is also why the lore seems illogical so far to me, because each frame seems to have a distinct personality in how they move/stand. They seem to be individual, but like you said we are putting suits together and putting them on. Unless we are building the Warframe and then 'waking up' the consciousness inside. And then you get your million theories of what the Tenno really are.

Lore as of right now is a mess lol

Honestly, I hate the idea of a singular pilot across each frame. I prefer the idea that there are multiple Tenno awaiting deployment, each with their own distinct personality. I feel that the player should be like a dispatcher role, telling who to go where as needed. 

I love the thought that in their downtime, the Tenno like to relax in the orbiter common areas, comparing accomplishments and developing relationships. It gives things a sense of life beyond the very sparse interactions the game actually provides. Everyone so serious, moody, and quiet (except the lotus, who won't stop talking).

Instead, we're almost literally what we are in real life...Tenno may as well be fat gamer kids who got a PC in the void and are locked up in the orbiter drinking Mt. Dew, spamming region with the bullS#&$ you usually find there, and wiping Doritos dust off our hands between firefights...That's really sad.

This is pretty much how I've always thought of the Tenno too, lol. Like maybe you get all the Warframe pieces, and then wake up the individual inside it after it's put together.

But based on the lore presented so far, it does seem to be the idea that one Tenno (whatever that is - energy, a mind, a body, etc) can swap out suits. I would much prefer each Frame was it's own person though. It's hard for me to picture the same person in the Nova frame, also using the Rhino frame, lol.

Edited by nefrai

I think Tennos are human with their own gender and I have one theory to back it up. (WISH I HAD A SCREENSHOT!)

When an alert pop up it would show the mission type and a describtion like "Elite Troops located" or "Hold out until reinforcements arrive." In a Alert Rescue mission one of its describtion specifically says "Tenno Operative located" which is a tenno without a warframe, but it looks like any other hostage.

That's my theroy on if the tennos have a gender.

Edited by (XB1)ThatAlaskanDude

I think Tennos are human with their own gender and I have one theory to back it up. (WISH I HAD A SCREENSHOT!)

When an alert pop up it would show the mission type and a describtion like "Elite Troops located" or "Hold out until reinforcements arrive." In a Alert Rescue mission one of its describtion specifically says "Tenno Operative located" which is a tenno without a warframe, but it looks like any other hostage.

That's my theroy on if the tennos have a gender.

Cryopods look like they have ppl inside too.

Which is why i say lore in this game is a mess because DE has said we are not human, and still can't explain how can you fit a rhino sized tenno into a nova.

Which is why i still believe we are energy.

I think these "tenno" ppl we rescue and see inside crypods are from when they didn't have any idea of what they were doing lol, all theories came up later.

This is pretty much how I've always thought of the Tenno too, lol. Like maybe you get all the Warframe pieces, and then wake up the individual inside it after it's put together.

But based on the lore presented so far, it does seem to be the idea that one Tenno (whatever that is - energy, a mind, a body, etc) can swap out suits. I would much prefer each Frame was it's own person though. It's hard for me to picture the same person in the Nova frame, also using the Rhino frame, lol.

I don't know why everyone uses Rhino as an example of "how could this burly frame contain the same person as this girly frame?" when Rhino's form is obscured by so much thick armor plating that we have no idea what his body type actually is. There could totally be a petite lady Tenno under there and you would't be able to tell the difference.

I don't know why everyone uses Rhino as an example of "how could this burly frame contain the same person as this girly frame?" when Rhino's form is obscured by so much thick armor plating that we have no idea what his body type actually is. There could totally be a petite lady Tenno under there and you would't be able to tell the difference.

That wasn't my meaning at all, but I see now that's how it looked lol. I was meaning that it's hard to picture a Tenno that liked to be fast, small and agile swapping into a slow, bulky frame. The Tenno could of course fit in a big frame like Rhino, but I was just saying the two frames for the contrast. If you are a ninja like Psylocke in X-men for example, you would hate being in Juggernaut's armor...it would feel slow and frustrating. That was my line of thinking anyway, lol.

Cryopods look like they have ppl inside too.

Which is why i say lore in this game is a mess because DE has said we are not human, and still can't explain how can you fit a rhino sized tenno into a nova.

Which is why i still believe we are energy.

I think these "tenno" ppl we rescue and see inside crypods are from when they didn't have any idea of what they were doing lol, all theories came up later.

DE never said that Tenno are not human. AFAIK they just said they have human origins.

nova_rhino_height_by_gaber111-d96thki.jp

That wasn't my meaning at all, but I see now that's how it looked lol. I was meaning that it's hard to picture a Tenno that liked to be fast, small and agile swapping into a slow, bulky frame. The Tenno could of course fit in a big frame like Rhino, but I was just saying the two frames for the contrast. If you are a ninja like Psylocke in X-men for example, you would hate being in Juggernaut's armor...it would feel slow and frustrating. That was my line of thinking anyway, lol.

OR OR OR

It's Iron Man style.

Mind Blown.

Having separate suits with separate abilities for separate situations, unthinkable m'irite.

You read my mind.

I much prefer this too, I love imaging that my Saryn and my Valkyr are just talking while my Excalibur is out on missions.

And I get to feel my RP characters actually exist in the game itself

But hey make it a headcanon that the Warframe's you have, have a different Tenno in them. That's what I Do.

Edited by (PS4)batman200087