Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Never Do This, For The Sake Of Sanity

Renegade343

Never, never, never do this: 

log(x/y) = log(x) / log(y)

It baffles and infuriates me the number of times various people do this (that also includes a few of those being good in math), then wonder where the hell did they go wrong with their calculations for quite some time.

Yes, I know there are some values of x and y such that these relationship holds true, but for the majority of cases, it is not.

Never, never, never do this:

ln(x/y) = ln(x) / ln(y)

It baffles and infuriates me the number of times various people do this (that also includes a few of those being good in math), then wonder where the hell did they go wrong with their calculations for quite some time.

Yes, I know there are some values of x and y such that these relationship holds true, but for the majority of cases, it is not.

Ftfy. Only natural logarithms please.

For those that don't get it. The actual rule for ln is this:

Ln(x/y) = ln(x)-ln(y).

Explaining what is ln, why its that rule takes a long time and i rather not type it out on my phone

Edited by 321agemo

Ftfy. Only natural logarithms please.

There are two common logarithm bases used for calculations: Base e, or base 10. I choose whatever base I want, hence I choose base 10 for this example. I could even choose something such as base 23 (or any base for that matter) to prove that relationship is not true, by showing that the solution set for log(x/y) = log(x) / log(y) with any base does not have any real solutions (in which for the majority of cases, complex number solutions are disregarded). 

As for that relationship you wrote, everyone should know it if they study logarithms and exponents in high school. It is one of the simplest rules of logarithms, and I am wondering how people still mess that up. 

I thought it was log(x/y) = log(x) - log(y), Unless we are talking about trees because we are really board.

Yea you got it. This guy/gal just thinks he's/she's cool and only provided the most superficial nature of the issue to attest to his/her intellect rather than actually provide something useful (always possibility they are catering to a specific audience or something else but I doubt it). See example:

If you have a patient come into the emergency room with chest pain, dilated pupils and a bloody nasal turbinate never give them a beta blocker.

Vs

If you have a patient come into the emergency room with chest pain, dilated pupils and bloody nasal turbinate never give them a beta blocker. These are red flags for cocaine induced coronary vasospasm. (Cocaine is causing the vessels in your heart to mess up) and giving them a beta blocker will cause the chemicals in your body to cause an unopposed alpha effect. (It will make the situation worse by causing your vessels to constrict)

Obligatory: Always consult your physician if you are concerned and this statement is not intended to serve in lieu of seeking proper medical care

Edited by Colonel_Ignes

Yea you got it. This guy/gal just thinks he's/she's cool and only provided the most superficial nature of the issue to attest to his/her intellect rather than actually provide something useful (always possibility they are catering to a specific audience or something else but I doubt it). See example:

No, because I get tired of people doing this. Constantly. 

Also, I have already made useful proofs around here. You just did not search them. 

Why not just start finding the second derivative of 2x^2-4y^3?

That's really easy mate. I had this 5 years ago but even I could solve that.

4x is the first derivative.

4 is the second derivative.

Edit: I should mention, that Y is considered a constant. It doesn't intervene in the calculation. It's just there to mess up people's minds.

Edited by SHIR0B0N

That's really easy mate. I had this 5 years ago but even I could solve that.

4x is the first derivative.

4 is the second derivative.

Edit: I should mention, that Y is considered a constant. It doesn't intervene in the calculation. It's just there to mess up people's minds.

I should have asked to find the second derivative in terms of dy/dx lol

As for that relationship you wrote, everyone should know it if they study logarithms and exponents in high school. It is one of the simplest rules of logarithms, and I am wondering how people still mess that up.

Its just one of those things people can get confuse on, as the logorithm rules doesnt follow “conventional” mathematics.

And i said natural logorithms because those are used in offical proofs instead of base 10 or whatever. But also as a witty comment.