Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

P2W Aspects (Forma, Catalysts, Reactors)

Tizodd

I know I'll probably get quite a bit of flack for this...hell, the mods might even decide to delete it but please don't delete it as I feel I have a valid (not whiny) argument and I'm sure quite a few people will share my opinion.  I'd really like for someone at DE to consider it seriously if they already aren't.

First of all, warframe is an awesome and fun game.  The sci-fi theme, the space ninjas, quirky humor, mostly smooth gameplay, constant updates and devotion from developers, etc.  I"m loving warframe and even though it can get a little grindy at times (most if not all mmo type games eventually do), it's still fun for me.

My issue lies with FORMA, OROKIN CATALYSTS, and OROKIN REACTORS.  The frequency of alerts with these as rewards should be re-evaluated.  Also, it would be nice to have catalysts and reactors part of the VOID drop table.

My little half brother started playing about a month ago and was enjoying it but has already started playing a lot less because he notices how much better my frames/weapons are...and why is that?  Because once I decide I like, and will hang on to a frame/weapon, I put potato it because I can.  He's younger and doesn't have the money for 20 plat here and there whereas I do have money and really don't mind investing in a game that's free-to-play but of such good quality.  I want to support the developers and people behind the scenes.

Yes, you can sell mods and prime parts for plat but that's beside the point.  Selling mods and prime parts isn't a guarantee.  Maybe no one needs/wants the mods or prime parts you have at the time.  There should be a way to get these game changing items (forma, catalysts, reactors) consistently without having to pay real money to make your gear better.  Paying real money to make your gear better in game is pretty much the definition of pay-to-win.

TL:DR - formas, catalysts, and reactors make things better in warframe.  The only The only way to consistently get them is with platinum...that's pay-to-win.  Please have alerts (24hr long so people have time to get to them) reward them more often (once every two weeks?); and/or add catalysts and reactors to the VOID drop table.  Or at the very least, allow us to buy a catalyst/reactor blueprint from the market that needs some ridiculous amount of resources (see neurodes and neural sensor blueprint) to build.

*loads flak cannons*

DE needs sales to make money. DE doesn't make sales if people can get things easily with little work or luck. Also- forma is found in the void. You don't need to wait for alerts to get it... They shouldn't even be counted here. "Pay to win" only applies if things make you insanely stronger and give you an unfair advantage over other players. Firstly- this is primarily a PvE game, so an advantage over other players means basically nothing anyways. Secondly- even though these allow you to be stronger, they do not BY THEMSELVES make you stronger. They only allow more space for the mods that do. You still have to work your butt off for those. Reactors and Catalyst alerts and invasion rewards are plenty common enough- not to mention that every 2 weeks after the bi-monthly devstream they always have a catalyst/reactor alert for 24 hours so EVERY player in ANY timezone can get it. It's generally extremely easy to complete.

EDIT: Also as others above have mentioned (and I somehow forgot to...) you can TRADE for platinum, you don't have to buy it. Therefore even if all of this did qualify for typical "pay to win"- it wouldn't be since it's not just money.

Edited by Stratego89

Warframe is not pay2win, it's pay4convenience. 

And Pay2LookGewd.

But yes, just echoing the rest of the thread. It is not far fetched that if you want those items which are already given out for free, you pay for it. I think that's kind of the point to do this thing called keep the game running.

You only need two reactors and two catalysts in all honesty. Melee weapons are not a requirement of potatoing. Frame + Sentinel/Kubrow, and Two Weapons of solid choice. Boom. You never need potatoes again. If you want them, however, pony up.

First of all. There already is a 24h alert for catalyst/reactor every 2 weeks. And this game is NOT pay to win. Pay to win is when really OP stuff is locked behind a paywall. Platinum can be traded and nothing except for skins is buyable only.

There's a Catalyst or reactor alert every 2 weeks for 24hrs for the devstreams. boom.

Okay cool I wasn't aware of that.  That's good news :-).

I know I'll probably get quite a bit of flack for this...hell, the mods might even decide to delete it but please don't delete it as I feel I have a valid (not whiny) argument and I'm sure quite a few people will share my opinion.  I'd really like for someone at DE to consider it seriously if they already aren't.

First of all, warframe is an awesome and fun game.  The sci-fi theme, the space ninjas, quirky humor, mostly smooth gameplay, constant updates and devotion from developers, etc.  I"m loving warframe and even though it can get a little grindy at times (most if not all mmo type games eventually do), it's still fun for me.

My issue lies with FORMA, OROKIN CATALYSTS, and OROKIN REACTORS.  The frequency of alerts with these as rewards should be re-evaluated.  Also, it would be nice to have catalysts and reactors part of the VOID drop table.

My little half brother started playing about a month ago and was enjoying it but has already started playing a lot less because he notices how much better my frames/weapons are...and why is that?  Because once I decide I like, and will hang on to a frame/weapon, I put potato it because I can.  He's younger and doesn't have the money for 20 plat here and there whereas I do have money and really don't mind investing in a game that's free-to-play but of such good quality.  I want to support the developers and people behind the scenes.

Yes, you can sell mods and prime parts for plat but that's beside the point.  Selling mods and prime parts isn't a guarantee.  Maybe no one needs/wants the mods or prime parts you have at the time.  There should be a way to get these game changing items (forma, catalysts, reactors) consistently without having to pay real money to make your gear better.  Paying real money to make your gear better in game is pretty much the definition of pay-to-win.

TL:DR - formas, catalysts, and reactors make things better in warframe.  The only The only way to consistently get them is with platinum...that's pay-to-win.  Please have alerts (24hr long so people have time to get to them) reward them more often (once every two weeks?); and/or add catalysts and reactors to the VOID drop table.  Or at the very least, allow us to buy a catalyst/reactor blueprint from the market that needs some ridiculous amount of resources (see neurodes and neural sensor blueprint) to build.

Why don't you gift him a reactor/catalyst if you have plat?

Clearly some people didn't read the original post but that's to be expected, there was a lot there.

1. Thank you for pointing out to me that there is an alert every two weeks.  I guess it just feels like a really long time considering the amount of gear there is in game.

2. Also, I know about trading as I stated in my original post; and I know forma drops in the void, as I also stated in my original post.

But again thank you for the clarification on the alert frequency.

Edited by tizodd

While Catalyts and Reactors aren't as common as Forma ingame, and thus are easier to get via Platinum, they still cannot be considered "Pay-To-Win" because they can still be acquired ingame, and Platinum can be acquired free via ingame means (well, assuming there are people who are buying Platinum to support the game and thus keep circulation going).

Yes, it'll take a lot more time to get Reactors and Catalysts if you wait for alerts and hit up trade chat instead of just buying them outright, but the fact that you can get said items for free simply by playing the game prevents them from being Pay-To-Win. The very definition of "Pay-To-Win" means that the game-changing content is locked exclusively behind a real money pay wall. Catalysts, Reactors, and Forma are thus by that definition NOT Pay-To-Win.

That said, I do support the motion of making Catalysts and Reactors easier to get, especially since we now have hundreds upon hundreds of weapons, over two dozen warframes, and a couple of dozen sentinels that require said enhancements.

There is OP, complaining about Forma, Catalyst , Reactor and lack of *free* platinum.

And then, I am there. Sitting on 100+ Forma BP, 41 built Forma with multiple forma on a large number of gears, 12 built Catalyst with almost all weapons, that I like, supercharged, 22 built reactor with each and every frame, archwing, sentinel and kubrow supercharged and then, there is my 10815 platinum, all of which came from trading.

I mean, no offense, but maybe, just maybe, play and enjoy the game, trade for platinum and buy slots, play the potato alerts instead of complaining on the Forums?

#noinstantgratification

Oh, and did I mention that I am half way to MR21(basically means I have every frame, weapon, archwing, sentinel, kubrow), I am at my 78th day of Warframe playtime and I am yet to spend a penny?

I am pretty sure your little brother won't have problems if I didn't.

Edited by NN13

There's no 'win' to pay for. Period.

You can pay for cosmetics and some convenience (some of which is very convenient indeed), but there's no 'win.'

Most of your fellow travelers will barely notice you're there and what you may or may not have bought won't affect them a whit.

I slightly feel that seeing how forma is available as a loot reward, as well as being in the market, why are the catalyst & reactors not available as a loot reward, aside from alerts & invasions? Im more shocked that forma isnt just a market item and not a loot reward as you can use multiples on any frame/weapon. Yet once you catalyst or reactor your weapon/frame/sentinel your done.Its like you need only 1 reactor/catalyst for double points on your weapon/frame/sentinel, but multiple forma to make anything decent-good. Makes no sense to me but hey @ 20p for forma or if you have the bp you can rush 2 of them for the cost of 1. 

as other people pointed out, dont label this game "pay to win" if you dont know what pay to win really means.

By your definition, even if we have alternative ways to obtain plat and obtain potato/forma for free, its not enough for you and even want those stuff really easy to get for free to make it not "pay to win", is that it? You want a completely free game?  Then DE and warframe will be out of business rather quickly to sustain the game.

Compared to other F2P titles, this games is very generous to be labled "pay to win".

So anyone who think that this game is "pay to win", please think twice.

Edited by KuzkinaMat