Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr Melee Weapon?

Sines314

So with her new skin and rework, I find myself using Valkyr more. But the one issue is that I'm trying to find a good weapon for Valkyr. Since I can easily switch in and out of Hysteria when needed, I want a weapon that provides a good contrast in use from her claws, but shares the same build well.

Valkyrs claws have poor reach, so a weapon like Atterax which has long range and a crit build is a good alternative weapon to use when I need more reach. However, I have mixed feelings about whips, and would like an alternate option. Unfortunately, the other high reach weapons don't really work well with a crit build. So for those Valkyr players who like using their normal melee weapon, what do you use?

If you can get past it's obvious combat flaws (it needs love DE plz), the glaive has amazing synergy with valkyr. Also whips give good reach and hit multiple people, and move you around well. I personally ended up using the venka myself just because they look nice :3

Also whips give good reach and hit multiple people ...

Except for the Atterax that the OP mentioned. That's limited to one target. This can be overcome with high enough attack speed though.

Pick any weapon that has a good crit base to build on so the weapons own build has synergy with Hysteria.

I use a lot of different weapons but only those who can utilize Crit chance/damage and berserker.

Next to that it really does not matter as weapon augments and base stats have no effect on hysteria.

For a eternal war build I would use a slow berserker weapon. Personally Skindo P for me.

I prefer scindoP with speed and reach with berzerker and improved crit chance as it flows onto hysteria nicely, as well as goes from being a exicutioner to a battlebeast quickly.

A channal/Life strike build could be useful to heal more quickly; though I don't know if her healing got nerfed with her buffs or if it went untouched.

Any weapon which has enough crit chance and crit damage to make it wrthwile to be built for crits/berserker is good, go with personal preference to be honest. Since weapon stats have no influence on Hysteria anymore just pick one you like. Crit-based is better because that way you can basically build for both Hysteria and for your melee without gimping any of the two. You could run with a non-crit-based weapon but you'd end up either gimping your weapon by wasting modslots on crit mods (useless on the melee weapon) to pump up Hysteria or gimping you Hysteria by not building it for it's Amazing crit potential.

EDIT: the onnly caveat is that i personally would pass up on Life Strike. A Hysteria/Eternal War build does not really needs ALSO Life Strike for healing, between the fact that you'll take very little damage anyway when your Warcry is up and the fact that Hysteria will both make you invulnerable and regenerate your Whole health bar with just a couple of strikes.

EDIT 2: god i can't fit it all in one go can i? -.-

Anyway another thing i think it's relevant is the fact that i would personally go for a melee that goes well with Quick Melee. The main reason for that is that personally if i want to run full melee i would go with Hysteria over any melee - and when not in Hysteria having a weapon that's good even when sheathed it's better as far as i'm concerned because of a couple of reasons:

- as i said i use Hysteria in place of equipped melee

- having a good quick melee is Always handy as in you don't need to equip it to kick asses

- when not in Hysteria i want to use my ranged weapons the most, and having a melee weapon that's only good when equipped would go against that directly

For example, i wouldn't run any one-handed sword with Valkyr due to the fact that those get good only when equipped because of Crimson Dervish. Any Tempo Royale using weapon instead is good to be honest, because while the stance IS great and you want to equip it, the quick melee is also insanely good and as such you can use it both ways.

Edited by Autongnosis

Except for the Atterax that the OP mentioned. That's limited to one target. This can be overcome with high enough attack speed though.

Pick any weapon that has a good crit base to build on so the weapons own build has synergy with Hysteria.

Did NOT know that about atterax. I could swear last time I used it it hit lots of people.

Not sure if you know this- but hysteria got a change. Weapon stats are no longer accounted for with hysteria- only the mods you have on, just like exalted blade. The weapon you choose doesn't matter so much anymore. Yes crit is good in hysteria- but so is everything else.

Uh, i read now the bit about the reach. Well...

Personally the weapons i'd suggest you would be either the Tipedo (btw the horrible standard mesh can be covereb with the Ormolu skin that is really nice) and the Bo Prime. These two are good (tipedo) or decent (Bo P) crit based weapons with enough range not to feel you're hitting too short and they have the added bonus of being awesome holstered weapons (whirlwind of Death ftw).

Scindo Prime also has a decent base range and it's awesome for crits.

Orthos Prime while having a really good basic attack animation and a huge range is a bit lacking on critchance (barely over 15% after mods - not exactly stellar).

Other crit weapons i like all have super-short or damn short range so i don't think they would be fit.

EDIT: oh, an personally i find the Atterax suuper-clunky as far as melee go. Never liked whips to be honest, mechanically speaking they are way less fluid than what they should be.

And as a side note it took me 5 frigging tries to say all i had to say in response to the OP - slow clap for me, i must be getting real old.

Edited by Autongnosis

Did NOT know that about atterax. I could swear last time I used it it hit lots of people.

Not sure if you know this- but hysteria got a change. Weapon stats are no longer accounted for with hysteria- only the mods you have on, just like exalted blade. The weapon you choose doesn't matter so much anymore. Yes crit is good in hysteria- but so is everything else.

Well, it's not limited to one target but iirc it's capped at 3 targets where the other whips are capped at 5, so there is a trade off involved there.

Jat Kittag: Primed reach, primed heavy trauma, the 120% event impact, organ shatter, pressure point, zerk, life strike and a 90% elemental.

Hits for 15-18k in void on crit, crits often enough to keep zerk maxed, reach is devastating effect on it, and the uncommon stance provides easy but insane cc. Also 15-24k crits on hysteria 9/10 times without any power mods, so yea...

Jat Kittag: Primed reach, primed heavy trauma, the 120% event impact, organ shatter, pressure point, zerk, life strike and a 90% elemental.

I'm wondering why you're building for impact damage to be honest. Impact isn't exactly the best damage type. Also you don't have even one combined element (bad choice) and you don't have Fury, which while not mandatory it's definitely nice and particularly so on crit weapons since Berserker multiplies the attack speed after the bonus from Fury.

Also since we're talking about valkyr here... All those impact mods are gonna be pretty useless on her Hysteria which has a pretty even distribution of IPS damage.

I'm wondering why you're building for impact damage to be honest. Impact isn't exactly the best damage type. Also you don't have even one combined element (bad choice) and you don't have Fury, which while not mandatory it's definitely nice and particularly so on crit weapons since Berserker multiplies the attack speed after the bonus from Fury.

Also since we're talking about valkyr here... All those impact mods are gonna be pretty useless on her Hysteria which has a pretty even distribution of IPS damage.

You really do not need both Berserker and Fury when you have Warcry available. Especially on crit weapons.

I can't even click fast enough to use the full potential of me Scindo P after Warcry and full stacks. and that is a slow crit weapon by default. Fury would just end up reducing my damage.

Simple, the primed impact (165%) and event impact (120%) give the greatest damage increase on the Jat, making it highly viable as is. And while the damage type isn't ideal for Hysteria combine with prime reach (Takes Jat from great weapon to a tier of its own) and all else except life strike allow for a fairly decent damage increase as is. With Zerk on toggling between hysteria allows for a mix of decent CC, very high close range damage and only slightly lower damage with much more range. It might not be the optimal setup it definitely works, able to take you over an hour in a t4 with little effort.

Edit: Also OP asked for a melee with some range and there are none better in the damage to reach ratio than a Jat with Primed Reach.

Edited by DarcnyssWolfe