The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Automatic Secondary Currently?

Yazeth

Question

Twin Grakatas have stupid high DPS, crit and status.

You *will* either run out of ammo or need to install Primed Pistol Mutation tho.

Personally I just use em till I run out, and swap to something else.

Another forerunner is the Furis, which essentially makes you invulnerable with it's massive healing abilities through the Syndicate mod.

I usually prefer my Aksomati if I'm going for full automatic. They have a much better reload that doesn't need to be modded for like the Twin Grakata. Fire rate is also easier to control so you waste less ammo on excessive fire.

Edited by Ceryk

That depends, against Grineer, I use the Spectra.

"WHAT?" you may say.  It deals good puncture damage and I add viral damage for even more.   Plus the perrin sequence mod makes it a viable end-game weapon.

Against corpus, I use the (Synoid) Gammacor because of its fairly high damage per second and magnetic bonuses against shields.

Against infested, I typically use the furis if I don't feel like channeling with life strike.  Bear in mind that I use the loka mod that gives lifesteal.  Great for healing the large amount of toxin damage infested units can do over time.

For void, I typically don't use a machine pistol(s).

I do now also vouch for it as one of the best secundaries.

Right around the change to the altfire, they fixed a bug that was (apparently) allowing the non-charged shots to deal similar damage to the charged shots when multishot was installed. So it was a significant nerf to the uncharged damage, but a large increase in usability. I haven't really played around with the new damage potential enough to say, but the relatively low direct damage theoretical numbers aren't promising, especially with travel time and arc, low status, no crit and an inability to effectively use punchthrough.

The only thing it really has going for it is an added DoT, which is nice at higher levels against heavies but rather pointless at lower levels and against weaker enemies.

Edited by Darzk

I suppose the Twin Grakata, Furis with Syndicate Mod, AkSomati, Khomak and Pyrana would be what I would put as the best top 5 Automatic Secondaries, filling out different ways of being used.

Twin Grakata's are Magazine heavy with an emphasis on Crit and Status. Furis for longevity by using the New Loka Syndicate Mod. AkSomati for ranged Crit dealing and being a Secondary variant of the Soma. Khomak being a Secondary variant on the Khom, adding more pellets to its firing as it is used, and a different take on the standard Shotgun mindset. The Pyrana being the one weapon, that without any Arcane Enhancements being used in the equation, has the highest Crit chance of any weapons that can't go Red Crit, and has a decent Status chance for that too.

Right around the change to the altfire, they fixed a bug that was (apparently) allowing the non-charged shots to deal similar damage to the charged shots when multishot was installed. So it was a significant nerf to the uncharged damage, but a large increase in usability. I haven't really played around with the new damage potential enough to say, but the relatively low direct damage theoretical numbers aren't promising, especially with travel time and arc, low status, no crit and an inability to effectively use punchthrough.

The only thing it really has going for it is an added DoT, which is nice at higher levels against heavies but rather pointless at lower levels and against weaker enemies.

I only ran a T3 cap to check it so I cannot say I've tested it enough either, and may be biased due to the amount of damage I remember it used to deal. I guess more testing is indeed needed as I also was running with a solely corrosive build.

atomos with Ruinous Extension mod count?

It's automatic and it's a secondary, so I don't see why not. And it has my vote.

It might not do the most amazing single target DPS (although it's not awful either, merely average), but against the crowds of somewhat spread-out enemies you typically find in endless game modes, little if anything can match it.

Edited by OniGanon

The AkSomati, Twin Grakata as far as I can recall are currently the top-tier secondary weapons that are automatic Machine Guns.

Synoid Gammacor, and the Atomos with Ruinous Extension are the best Continuous-Fire Beam, High DPS weapons, although the range isn't infinite. Still is rather large though,

Edited by _Pepsiman

atomos with Ruinous Extension mod count?

Quoting this for emphasis.

Atomos with Ruinous Extension is basically a Gammacor with an infinitely more flexible damage type that hits 4 enemies at the same time (at the cost of a slightly inaccurate beam). Not to mention that its ammo efficiency is pretty decent as far as full-auto secondaries go.

The chain-damage mechanic also completely ignores Nullifier bubbles, making them effectively just another fodder unit that gets melted away in an instant as long as there's a target (e.g. another enemy, a teammate or kubrow, a decoy, a cryopod, etc) nearby.

If you're looking for a mobbing-type weapon as opposed to a pure 1v1 DPSer, then this is easily one of the best weapons out there. And even though it's designed almost entirely for mobbing, the weapon's 1v1 damage isn't half-bad, either.

Edited by SortaRandom

There are a lot of good secondaries at the moment. Twin Grakatas, Spira (yes, even with current bug included), Atomos are all quite high in automatic fire class. Somewhat lower in my opinion are AkSomati, Synoid Gammacor (nerfs hit it pretty damn hard), Kohmak. Twin Gremlins and AkStilleto aren't that bad either. Frankly speaking, we're at a point where all of the mentioned secondaries can be safely used for quite high levels of enemies, even if some are better than others. So really, pick based on your taste.

Edited by Genkaro

What's bugged on the Spira?

Every other knife is thrown significantly lower than the other, making it hard to hit enemies at range.

Also, wraith twin vipers are my favourite auto secondary, they can rip through any enemy and take down nullifer bubbles almost instantly :D

It's just about possible to go without pistol mutation with a lot of trigger control, but it's got more than enough DPS to sacrifice a damage mod.

Edited by metort

Forma'd Viral/blast Atomos withOUT ruinous extension does STOOPID amounts of damage AND has a splash effect.

Use any fast frame and use "close and kill" tactics on tough single enemies or entire mobs.

These other guns have impressive fire rates, but you REALLY should try the Atomos. I'm even uneasy about posting this, but it really is Godzilla's breath weapon on the end of your fist.

I find the Twin Gremlins to be nice.  They have equal slash, impact, and puncture damage, so properly modded, they can be brought to any fight without worrying about changing loadout.  They need Lethal Torrent, and I'm also running Gunslinger, but they are completely usable.  However, they do look like beat up nail guns, which bugs some people.