Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sortie Missions [U18 Megathread]

[DE]Danielle

I don't know how much it's necessary to hate your players to get to the point of adding UNIQUE (at least for now) weapon to random rewards pool of the mission that have limited amount of tries. It's like "Hey kid! Here's awesome shiny toy! Want it? YOU WON'T GET IT! MWAHAHAHA!". Of course I am exaggerating about its awesomeness, but anyway, this part of sorties smells bad.

Edited by demminik

An observation about the UI:

As this is a daily mission set, why does it still display a 3 next to the sortie icon when all missions are completed? Is this intentional or a bug?

http://i.imgur.com/av9akdx.jpg

Like the general alerts and the syndicate dailies, I want to know the number that are not completed, especially with the different reset time.

Apart from the quest (obviously), sorties were actually my favorite thing about this update. I was extremely excited about the sniper rework, but that's another story for another thread.

Honestly, I just wanted harder content. The end reward could have been 5k creds and I would still play them before any of the other missions available. Now I don't have to waste 40minutes going through fodder mobs waiting for the real challenge. Not to mention these missions include all the missions types available which is a very welcomed change as opposed to previously only finding this type of chllange in endless mission types. 

They keep you on your toes. They put your best builds to the test and punish any flaw which go unnoticed in weaker mobs. Of course, the rewards is the icing on the cake. I just wish I could do more these runs without being limited to only three per day.

For the sorties, I really have to give props to DE for adding high lvl content for their veteran players. Sure some of you might point out we have raids, I did not enjoy LoR at all I much prefer the four man squads and gameplay that stays true to the warframe mission style that I enjoy. 

TL;DR = high lvl, get gud scrub, have fun

I like the challenge. But what I like more then just being challenged is to be challenged and getting a reward that is worthy of the challenge. 

I felt let down with a Karak Wraith BP after doing a lvl 80-100 20 wave Eximus Stronghold Defense mission. I shudder to think of what I'd do if I I got 25 Fusion Cores for that.

I like the idea of choosing a reward from the pool. Or, once you get an item, it's removed from the pool for that player, so that he may get something else instead of a potential repeat. (Is that a thing?)

But for the cores and greater lens BP, don't, just don't. You might as well have a picture of Steve wearing a troll face mask with the caption "Thank you for playing!" appear on the screen if a player is unlucky enough to get it.

So far, Sorties are ... so-so. The rewards are nice (although I can't say I like the size of the pool and level of RNG that goes along with it). But one thing that bugs me a bit about them: Please have them reset with the daily login. It's a bit confusing, that they run on a completely different cycle than almost everything else.

I agree with a lot of what has been said already. 

The sorties should reset with the daily login bonus to keep things more on track (maybe even move the daily login bonus to match the sorties?)

In addition I feel for a 15 day sortie rotation cycle there should be 15 possible rewards. Every time you complete a sortie you should get a random reward, but it should never be a reward that you got previously in this sortie cycle. That way if you compete all 15 days straight you should get every possible reward.

I found my first sortie missions quite fun to do. It's a nice way to challenge myself but as much as I enjoy them I feel a little bummed out that for all that work we get to drop only one item out of 23-24 possible items? It feels a slightly too grindy.

Every sortie mission should give you something from the overall reward pool. And I mean that he harder the challenge the biggest chance to get the top tier stuff (so we could avoid people doing just the first mission to get the legendary core i.e.). That way we could have slightly better chances to beat the merciless RNG.

- I've had one of my rewards disappear from my inventory when the sorties reset

- I've had sortie missions complete but when I get back to my orbiter they aren't marked as complete

- duplicate rewards suck

- greater lens bp are garbage since they require 4 lens and a forma, better to just use the 4 lens individually than to wait to have 4

- fusion core reward is garbage given how large the table is. Replacement with a forma not a bp either

- weapons parts should be tradeable and should not repeat as a reward in a single season.

I've really been enjoying Sortie missions except for the fact that...

[size=5]Defense missions are way, way too long.[/size]

I get that Sorties are intended to be longer and tougher than your usual mission (duh), but double the number of required waves?

Problems:

- Defense missions can take nearly a full hour with random players found via the quick-join. This is an absurd amount of time, compared to Stages 1 and 2 which take about 10-15 minutes each at absolute most.

Yes, I get that it's endgame; but if players come in unprepared, then they should be brutally destroyed by the mission. They should not have an entire hour of their life wasted.

Performance tends to get progressively worse throughout a mission. Letting the mission go for too long not only makes you more likely to lag out or crash, but it also increases the amount of frustration when the crash actually happens. (Just like Raids all over again.)
- (most importantly) It gets stale and boring. Doing the exact same thing over and over again for nearly an entire hour tends to get dull quickly. I have not had a single teammate who didn't express exasperation at the mission's length during Stage 3 Defense.

I feel as though lowering the number of waves to 15, or even 10 (but increasing difficulty a notch to compensate) would be absolutely fantastic. But 20 waves is just too much for a mission where players can't choose to extract early.

Personal experience - All 3 mission takes a hour so its funny. But funny lose if you look at rewards. Specialy 25x and 50x cores reward. It look good but it is a horrible reward after whole time what you spend.
If you compare what you can win, it's a shame you put it there. You say your self it not that bad 20:1 to win cores. NOPE
Play triton 15 - 35 cores in 20 minutes, Uranus archwing A rotation is 5x cores in 5 minutes. Sortie 25x cores about one hour (~)
My drops and thinks
1) sortie reward 25x cores -- Nah propably bad rng
2) sortie reward Dera part -- Yeah it was just bad luck
3) sortie reward 25x cores -- Bad joke after all this
So far it's horrible.
Update
4) karak w bp - meh
5) 25x cores - what a amazing reward again

This type missions is not for new/middle players but for advanced players with nearly everything maxed. 25x/50x cores is step on smile.
We need "bad reward" but make one 85x cores. And why this number ? because its not 100 (to much) and not to low to been frustrated.
But we have Legendary core! Compare 25x R5 vs Legendary core. And is not for fusion but is comodite (about 900p) only fool or rich player use it.
So personaly i like the concept (restrictions in many forms) but this reward totaly ruin it. Reconsider it De
PS: This is Constructive criticism. Don't be rude or toxic. ty

Edited by Technologic141

My primary feedback RE: Sorties is that the current one with the snipers only requirement is really poorly thought out. I can only use a sniper against infested, meaning I'm almost always out of ammo and killing anything is incredibly tedious. Annoying, but ok whatever. I'm in an excavation mission, where I have to carry tubes, but I have neither a melee weapon nor a sidearm. Also annoying, but I guess I can deal with it. If you have no sidearm, the game doesn't switch back to your primary gun when you insert the battery. Again, annoying, but not the worst thing.

The worst thing is that all of these are happening at the same time, leading to a mission that's nothing but poor mechanical decisions filling me with hate. That, and the fact that the mission never ended, possibly due to a bug, but I can't tell because I wasn't told if there were any additional completion requirements (After doing at least one Excavation, we could stand at extract and if there was only one of us it would say that person was waiting on other players, but the minute anyone else showed up it treated us as though we weren't extracting). I'm so thoroughly annoyed that I'm writing four-line run-on sentences right now.

Endless missions are way too long and boring. Enemy level doesn't scale (at least I haven't noticed) so defense is just wave 1 over and over again. Make the missions difficult by lowering the objectives hp or reducing the life support or something.

I would like the option to replay the missions (without additional rewards of course) because sometimes the missions are short and intense and very enjoyable.

Also duplicate rewards, weapon parts and market items(lens blueprints) as rewards as terrible.

Sorties reward system sucks. Please make it like the standard event rewards with tiers like 1 mission gets you sortie badge and 10 missions gets you dera vandal all missions gets legendary core. Please DE

Edit: as for other rewards like lens just make them everyday drops but based on rng with tiers like common and rare

Edited by blablark

So today was the Sorite Defeat Phorids Forces. It was Infestation Lepis (Eris) 50-60 Rescue with elemental resistances, Vesper (Venus) 65-80 Excavation with Snipers only, Ara (Mars) 80-100 Defence with energy reduction.

The first mission was fine, quick rescue was fun and interactive. The second however was awful and, like the third, was far too lengthy. We were unable to find a Trinity and when you need to do 15x Excavations the enemies will be level 100+. This makes Eximus enemies with Ancients giving them damage reduction extremely tanky. If the Eximus have the energy leech affix it made the mission go way too long, as you have to rely on your Warframe abilities to do any kind of decent damage due to it being snipers only. The Third sortie was fun, but 20 waves of level 100+ enemies takes far too long to complete.

The 3 missions took a couple of hours to complete and I ended up with about ~8k Focus, ~120k credits, some mods and a Dera Vandal Receiver, the same Dera Vandal Receiver that I got yesterday. I'd like to point out that a four round run of Draco gives over 12k focus and only takes ~20 mins as oppose to a couple of hours. Despite all the fun I had in the U18 quest and the great additions to the game, I don't feel like playing any more due the current state of Sorties and Focus exp gain. 

DE please either lower the time it takes to complete sorties, or buff the focus that you gain, or let us choose which reward we get.

TL;DR - Please lower the Excavations required and Defence waves in Sortie missions as they currently take far too long to complete. 

Edit: quote is from Dangg's comment directly above mine. Apparently I did something that removed the reference

TL;DR - Please lower the Excavations required and Defence waves in Sortie missions as they currently take far too long to complete. 

Please do. After 15 successful excavations, lvl 130+ enemies, and over an hour and a half of wasted time later I still didn't get an option for extraction.

I was doing the dang thing solo and was doing fine for the first five excavations, the second set of five were more annoying until I figured out a workable method, but the last set of five that I did before simply quitting were a nightmare. The stupid ospery that carry the power cells would suddenly stop spawning. I spent two separate periods of over 15 minutes, and at least five more 5 minute periods, without power cells. This made excavating very difficult, especially with enemies that you can't kill quickly to spawn more enemies. By the time I quit, I had somewhere on the order of 10 armored lvl 100+ infested chasing me around. I had to reload 3 times with the rubico just to kill one of them, and that was only if my 60% crit chance cooperated.

In short, a hard cap of about 10 excavations (which is already twice the requried amount for alerts) is needed for sortie excavation missions, otherwise the mission becomes a chore rather than a game. I spent more time idling near the top of the tile set and taking occassional pot shots to spawn more enemies, praying for an osprey, then I did actually playing the game. I actually quit because I got bored and was tired of wasting resources.

So, to repeat that quote: Please lower the Excavations required and Defence waves in Sortie missions as they currently take far too long to complete.

Edited by MinkoElkra

Excavation today for the sniper alert was very poorly though out, only overshadowed by the 2 hour defense mission cause mobs kept getting stuck in the wall :(

All for a single part of the dera vandal..... ooooooh yay! not.

stack that on top of the fact that sortie rewards are RNG and you have a recipe for disaster, getting two naramon lenses back to back in two days is ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind sorties so much if 1. It couldn't give you the same reward for what you have already received and 2. The time for them was scaled back 1/3 - 1/2 of what it is now.

Oh man that Sniper excavation was just INSANE. Absolutely CRAZY. I haven't worked my Ember that hard in a long while.

I still one shot it without a problem, though. You'll have to try harder than that, DE.

I admit I was a little surprised it ended at 1500. I thought for sure it would be 2000. Defenses are 20 waves, Survivals are 20 minutes, Excavations are... 1500? Oh okay.

The Defense was just fine. Easy, even.

Overall, I am absolutely in love with this new Sortie setup. It's so nice to have "Endgame" content I can come home to and run, every night. I can't raid, I don't have enough friends who like Warframe for that, so Sorties it is.

And it's great! It's a totally different play style. Warframe abilities matter for their utility. Guns matter for their status chance. Things like Viral damage, bleed procs, and knockdowns are suddenly necessary. Crowd control, snares, aggression management, radiation for misdirection... damage is irrelevant.

It's so nice to play properly difficult content that rewards correctly exploiting multiplicative bonuses.

Additive bonuses, like raw damage, have their place in the early game, and the low level content supports that. You can one shot all the things. But at the end game, the only way you should be one shotting something is if that something is under a corrosive/viral/puncture deluge and controlled/stunned and blinded and you're buffed and hitting it with a weapon with the proper multiplier damage. In a weak spot/head shot.

Season One has been fantastic so far. Hyped to see what madness tomorrow brings!