The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Dislike The New Quest/tenno Thing (Spoilers)

goatkid

I'm ok with the operator, a lot of things were already implying that and the quest itself was a huge success for me.

That aside i'm more skeptic about the operator on the battlefield shouting laser and talking crap all the time.

I would have prefer a human shape of energy without too much details when we use focus, customization being seen only by the player on the ship or in transmission.

Warframe lost a bit of its charm to me with the random spawn of operators on the missions.

edit : btw i did a random defense before doing the quest, i saw one of the operator on the field and i pretty much knew what it was. what was the point of the spoiler warnings. 

Edited by Gilmaesh

I really hope they decide to  backpeddle on this and redo the lore.

Or at the very least take away the faces of the operators to put ours back

That's what I'd like to see. I loved the quest and the explanation. As a lot of people said, the game kept telling us that there was only one Operator and it's fascinating to know that there's one person who can control Suits / Armours with flesh inside (<- This adds more questions, which isn't bad at all); I like it more than having 20+ different people inside a specific suit. 

But I can't stand that my Operator can talk and have a face to customize. I can mute it, ok, awesome, but I don't want to "Have a face": Give me a helmet and no option to customize it, and I'm good to go.

Because, after all, U18 is awesome.

I'm ok with the operator, a lot of things were already implying that and the quest itself was a huge success for me.

That aside i'm more skeptic about the operator on the battlefield shouting laser and talking crap all the time.

I would have prefer a human shape of energy without too much details when we use focus, customization being seen only by the player on the ship or in transmission.

Warframe lost a bit of its charm to me with the random spawn of operators on the missions.

edit : btw i did a random defense before doing the quest, i saw one of the operator on the field and i pretty much knew what it was. what was the point of the spoiler warnings.

Soon the tenno wont be a big mystery for the game anymore. WF will just be known as that game where kids control suits.

Newer players will look at focus/tenno the way they look at a boltor P- a form of progression.

Well i think this game will die soon... tell me who really thinks that a game where you are a kid that plays with giant puppets is cool??

Hey that sounds pretty cool whats the name of the game oh wait

But then again anyone who disagrees with anyone on the internet has bad taste, right?

Here's an advice:

There's no need to get attached to the Tenno.

You're still a badass Warframe that kicks butt. That Tenno didn't control your Warframe to kick butt. You did.

That Tenno is just a part of your "sleeping" conscious that was ripped apart, breaking the dream. Now there's you and kid.

Kid supports you with void power while you keep your personality of killing. You'll forever be that pink, limbo agile stance Rhino. You'll forever be that rage ball of Valkyr. You'll forever be that edgy black and red Ash that only presses 4. Your Warframes have personality into them.

You may be "lifeless", but you sure as hell don't need one to be considered "you". How many of you guys are into mechs?

To quote myself from another thread asking what exactly was inside Warframes now...

I think it's something like Evangelion, from which DE obviously took a lot of inspiration. 

Some Neon Genesis Evangelion spoilers ahead??

The "mechas" in Evangelion aren't really just mechas; cut them and you'll see some gorey fleshy mess very closely resembling vertebrate intestines and bleed icky liquid. The "first machine" or Shogoki can sometimes operate without its pilot and regularly goes on a rampage, again, without any pilot inside it.

Fused in the Shogoki is the soul of a human woman named Yui, and the only pilots who can be seen controlling Shogoki are Shinji, Yui's son, and Rei, Yui's partial clone. The "flesh" of Shogoki is based on Lilith, an alien mother/progenitor of human race in Evangelion lore, and its "soul" is of a human mother. 

I tend to think of Warframes as Shogokis with different "souls" dissolved in them. The flesh and gore inside Warframe could come from bodies first corrupted by the Void, and the souls fused in them are various Tennos and their desire to protect their children, related or unrelated. 

Yui couldn't speak or cook or walk Shinji to school or do other such normal human things, being infused in a giant alien-flesh-machine suit and whatnot, but her soul inside Shogoki gave it/her a distinct personality which in-universe characters acknowledged and the viewers outside the universe could still observe somewhat. With Warframes being a lot more similar in form to what Tennos were before their FINAL FUSION to their Warframes (if Orokin record is to be believed), I'd imagine our frames retain a closer resemblance to their personalities. 

So the short answer would be that we're still just Tennos. We are Tennos, linked across generations and time through, um, motherly love, I guess. 

Long answer would be something like...when the Operator is talking to us, he/she is actually interacting with the "original" surrogate or occupant of the Warframe in his/her own way. I imagine myself playing as silent ghosts in the machine lending cooperation to the Operator.  

With regards to OP, I think we'll get to see more about the "original" Tenno as time goes on. This is just the beginning (although I hope DE lets players start Natah earlier than Uranus--that's pretty far in the game to glimpse at the story's "beginning".)

If Orokin records and Excalibur codex entry are to be believed, the war went on for a long time and I don't think it's an unimaginable stretch to guess that several generations of Tenno were sacrificed to and experimented in the Void to create more powerful and stable Warframes. Now that Orokin stories are starting to surface, I'm sure we'll see more records and quests relating to earlier days of Void experiment under Orokin empire. 

At this point, all I can say is PLEASE let Warframes have a bit of their own personality. Like not just 100% puppet and stuff. And make the well, new "Operator" smile or at least welcome the Warframes that come into his/her chambers. The quest was awesome. With all the music and intensity. Well the Lotus saying how "beautiful" the children are just makes me think that there's almost no children in the Warframe universe. But I understand VERY MUCH when players are shocked and even upset, and with the exact reasons that you've put out. Many players really loved the "mysteriousness" of it, and hoping and HOPING (even though little snippets here and there prior to the quest hint that Warframes are nothing more than just puppets. They want to be that cool robot guy harnessing the powers. And you know, suddenly all these noble and agile stances each warframe has suddenly seem so insignificant now...

...Because they have no freaking sentience. It's just some metal puppet. How they stand, hop around, and even blowing kisses while they are stationary don't mean shyt. Again, it was a great quest, the lore as this is was a long time coming, but seriously seeing it play out wasn't great for me either.

I fiercely chase after creativity. I obsessively seek out uniqueness and innovation. AGAIN That was a GREAT QUEST. Even with hints and pieces in the game that hinted otherwise, everyone was hoping that the lore will be more complicated and elusive than this. But I just realized I'm just playing something like The Matrix-Avatar (the blue one) Online. That just killed it for me.

ALL of those comic contests etc and events depicting Warframes (I hesitate to call them Tenno now, even though I desperately want them to be, a bit.) doing goofy stuff, or talking to each other (with some kind of digital telepathy I suppose) and all those stuff and ideas are all seem to have been shat upon; these Warframes ain't sentient. Maybe 10% but sigh. In the end with all the great designs and good gameplay, the atmosphere's just not there anymore. If you liked it, yay horay for you. But a lot of people I bet weren't happy to see a human teen in their ship. By not happy I mean they might be scornful, and if they're not they're just not cheering that they're the kid in this game. Most of the people I know didn't like this development. They're just not saying it because they want to be nice and they don't want to deal with the "Stop complaining! (which they are NOT)/"Ohmygerdz DE worked hard on this you no like you go uninstall" crap and lastly, since it's DE and it's a major update, they'll have no say anyway.

Don't be afraid to offend, OP. You're not the only one. But props to DE for working hard on this. But apparently it's official we're just some special kid who mind-drives a metal puppet now. So it's a bit like Avatar (the blue Pocahontas-plot guy) plus a bit of Matrix. Like there's not that idea out there already.

Pssh. We're not "Space Ninjas". We're just some Avatar-thinggie things. Even saying that in keyboard hurts. Just killed the whole general mood of the game of Warframe for me. Won't enjoy it as much now knowing what I now know. If I ever play, don't expect me to go to the back room where they keep that human. That is not me.

So many players were hoping for so much more. I had no idea this was so simple. We're just Avatars. Nothing to add to it, it's just that simple. Even if the Warframes were to have any sentience? Knowing what I know now from this quest has already killed off much of that "mood" permenantly.

Sigh.

P.S.: DE put hard work on this YES WE RECOGNIZE THAT and THANK YOU FOR THAT DE. WE LOVE YOU. DON'T EVER DOUBT THAT.

Edited by Lorienzo
That last sentence wasn't necessary.

Here's an advice:

There's no need to get attached to the Tenno.

You're still a badass Warframe that kicks butt. That Tenno didn't control your Warframe to kick butt. You did.

That Tenno is just a part of your "sleeping" conscious that was ripped apart, breaking the dream. Now there's you and kid.

Kid supports you with void power while you keep your personality of killing. You'll forever be that pink, limbo agile stance Rhino. You'll forever be that rage ball of Valkyr. You'll forever be that edgy black and red Ash that only presses 4. Your Warframes have personality into them.

You may be "lifeless", but you sure as hell don't need one to be considered "you". How many of you guys are into mechs?

Pst. You're the Tenno, not the warframe.

That is if you let the game tell you that. Mind as well treat the Tenno as an NPC character and become the suit.

But you're not. There's a reason Ordis refers to you, the player, as the operator. The operator controls the warframe. The warframe doesnt act on its own (hence why, when you use your focus ability, the warframe drops to the ground and doesnt move).

But you're not. There's a reason Ordis refers to you, the player, as the operator. The operator controls the warframe. The warframe doesnt act on its own (hence why, when you use your focus ability, the warframe drops to the ground and doesnt move).

And you keep letting the game tell you what you should be.

Edit: This advice in no way conflicts with the lore. As far as the "core" gameplay of Warframe goes, we are the Warframes.

Edit: You can also treat all conversations as between npc's.

So at the end, are we that kid or are we that heavily customized Warframe suited to our tastes? Don't let mere words tell you, the whole game experience gives you the answer.

Edited by Rorgal_Sina

I honestly LOVE the story. It makes sense, the characters are cool. The only thing I don't like is some dialogue in the mission. If they changed it a slight bit to make the Tenno seem a little bit crazier and a little bit more ruthless it would perfectly fit the story.

Warframes: Monsters, basically proxies that can do anything. Your enemies can chop them down rip them to shreds but they will stand back up as long as their is a drop of blood in their body. No faction can do anything to destroy them their seen as devils walking among humans. Until the sentients came who now know the secret to the Warframes. That they are golems being controlled by devils. That sets them up as the perfect villain. The only faction to know how to actually and permanently kill a Tenno. The only thing that will make them different from the other factions will be their knowledge. They aren't more evil, they aren't stronger, they aren't cooler. Its just that tidbit of knowledge that makes them exponentially stronger than all the other factions.

Tenno: Intellegent Orokin thousands of years old who where tortured, discriminated, and tested on after being basically radiated by the Void. Remember how they where talked to like they where monsters. Think of it as a child people treating you as devils and avoiding you or actively trying to kill you because of your powers. Then we have someone who actually cared about them, their mother. Who was then executed in front of them. After they where forced to go kill a faction AKA Sentients. Then in response they committed GENOCIDE. So we are talking about kids who went to war, watched the only person who cared about them be executed, and committed genocide. 

If we consider them kids then we are really underestimating them. The only thing wrong with their design is their dialogue in the missions that makes them seem less ruthless then they really are.

Yes, they should retcon everything that happens in the Second Dream so that you whiners can fit your damned headcanons back into the game. Do you even understand the things you're writing?

Too bad i cant throw people out of here. You know what this is about? Opinnions. And with your Thin field of view you can literally just go. Why do you mind replying here? Are you upset that people think diffrent from you? Let people play the game as they want. The only thing i said is that this update killed the athmosphere of the game, thats my opinnion, not yours. So stop whining about people whining. And yeah, we understand what were writing, were discussing atm because we do

And you keep letting the game tell you what you should be.

Edit: This advice in no way conflicts with the lore. As far as the "core" gameplay of Warframe goes, we are the Warframes.

Edit: You can also treat all conversations as between npc's.

So at the end, are we that kid or are we that heavily customized Warframe suited to our tastes? Don't let mere words tell you, the whole game experience gives you the answer.

We have always been the Tenno, not the Warframes. That is not an opinion. That is fact. I don't care that people have different opinions, but I will correct you if you say something that isn't correct. You can have opinions. You can even maintain the delusion that we're the Warframes, and not the Tenno. That doesn't make it true. Again, the players have never been the Warframes, but the Tenno. The only difference is that before, we thought we were in the warframes, whereas now we know that we are not in the warframes (and, honestly, that fact contradicts with established lore, where the Orokin said in Excalibur Prime's codex that they built a frame around us). But as to what we are, we have always been the Tenno, not the warframes. The warframes that we customize have come to represent us, the way we appear to others, but they aren't us, just like game characters may represent the player, but they aren't the player. Up until now, Warframe has had different armors, essentially, but no character behind that - no Tenno character to explain how we can so freely switch between warframes. Now we have our actual character. That's the operator, our character, our first level of representation in the game. The warframe is the second level of representation, the exterior. It's like having a base character in an MMORPG, and then clothing that character under armor. That's what the Warframes are.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Warframes having infested origins should have a life of its own, not just a mere lifeless puppet. Anything the virus afflicts breathes life into it. I would wager that the warframe itself has its own twisted life because of the technocyte, but it is being governed by the tenno, so the warframe remains in a controlled state. And if the tenno loses grip of that warframe? Then it becomes an avatar of destruction that destroys almost anything it sees, much like the stalker. Don't you find it weird that out of all the warframes only stalker could talk? 

Edited by -Genesis-

Too bad i cant throw people out of here. You know what this is about? Opinnions. And with your Thin field of view you can literally just go. Why do you mind replying here? Are you upset that people think diffrent from you? Let people play the game as they want. The only thing i said is that this update killed the athmosphere of the game, thats my opinnion, not yours. So stop whining about people whining. And yeah, we understand what were writing, were discussing atm because we do

Excuse me? I'm pretty sure my post was not directed at you. And even if it was, I was specifically referring to the poster asking for a full retcon of the Second Dream. 

That's complete bias against the lore and currently ongoing plot, therefore it's wrong because it's at odds with what's objectively correct. Never did I say you had to like what's going on here, but the cat's out of the bag. 

That said, I really honestly don't know what you want from me, unless you wanted someone to vent over in which case my answer is pretty much the same as you have given me.

And yeah, it's 'opinions'.

Edited by Gale47

I didn't played the quest yet but this and one other closest idea was on my mind as we are operator. Only thing is i am not a children anymore and each warframe is a personality for me. At least how they move they not seems metal-tin cans so they could be something deeper because they have still gender and needs oxygene and they bleeding.

The only what I could imagine more is a good tenno character creation for each warframe and you can personalize each of your frames under the armor. Looking forward not seen back.

Edited by Sziklamester

The only part that I don't like about them are their keen observations and witty comments that they utter during missions. And I thought the Lotus was silly enough to listen too, as much as I love my space mom.

"oh dumbrunafeltz you mean finding out that ur a kid didnt already ruin ur immersion?"

No. Sorry for having different opinions and actually reading a bit of what I play, but I actually love that part. It's just the bad lines written for them that I don't dig.