Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is The Grind In Warframe Killing The Game?

tripletriple

The game does feel overly grindy. I know that the essence of the game is grinding, but it is getting very old, very quickly now.

If you really think about it, all you are doing is going from your ship and into a mission with the hopes of acquiring something new. Rinse and repeat. There is no real interaction between players and nothing to really do other than this. No world to explore, no nothing, really. Your ship is your house, but there is no other use for it. Planet nodes do not interconnect, which makes the game feel even more grindy. If you could run missions without having to go back to your ship after each one, this would help. The limitation of Archwing being a separate mission type is another hurtful aspect. They tried to integrate more with Sharkwing but that was not done with much enthusiasm, or so it seems. Kubrow AI still leaves much to be desired, along with the lack in detail of the dogs themselves. They all look too similar and need a visual overhaul. There is so much that can and needs to be done. I'm hoping DE does something truly great with 2016.

I still love this game and play it all the time, but it is at the point where I do my daily caps/missions and then turn it off and I hate that this is how it is, but there just isn't much else to do at the moment and pvp doesn't really interest me.

Ouch, you're comparing very different games but the concept is the same and that's pretty much the point for me.

I spent maybe 150 hours on Dragon Age and 200 on the Witcher 3, I knew what to expect and I enjoyed the time; warframe it's the same, I have over a thousand hours in and I knew since the beginning it was a free to play game with a heavy grind/RNG involved.

Sure, sometime it really drives me mad and get me over the edges as the grind is too much or the RNG turns out to be insane, but it's nothing I shouldn't expect.

The game core concept hasn't change in 3 years, though everything else has, meaning I get always the same grind/RNG but with much more contents, much more things to be done and an overall more enjoyable experience.

That's what keeps me here since 2013; I feel like many were expecting something different, which is their right, but this is Warframe and has always been like this.

Nearly 2000 hours in, spent over £600 even though I found and forged over 90% of gear . . . this is a 'live' game with the team constantly working on it . . . fantastic gfx and audio etc., etc., who the hell couldn't enjoy that ?

Of course, nothing can be all things to all men so we get all these threads with conflictiong views . . . and so we should, that's life, and gaming is just a part of our lives. This being the case it is obvious that what is considered 'grind' will have different perceptions from different gamers. I'm a dogged Cornishman, well used to getting my head down and getting stuck in so where so many have a negative attitude to what they consider to be 'grind' I just see it as yet another challenge to overcome . . . no matter how much of it has to be done.

My first computer gaming was in 1971 when the pubs had the old 'ping pong' game, follow on through the 90's in the days of no rounded edges and we couldn't walk in the water to today . . .and just look at what we have today. As an 'old-timer' I never cease to be amazed at how far it has all come so when I play Warframe - and boy oh boy, the rendering on the frames is nothing short of beautiful - or any other top notch game I never forget the journey getting here.

Back in the 80's I'd do some programming with one of my nephews - he was about 10 years old at the time - and he said the only thing he wanted to do was be a games programmer. For some years he's held a senior position at Creative Assembly having achieved his dreams, but neither of us forget all of our early experiments in computer gaming and the magic of creating.

I'd imagine there are a lot of guys with similar experiences so why I mention this is because we make up one 'frame of mind', but I accept there will be many different 'frames of mind' from those with different experiences and those who came to gaming much later and so have far more demands from the industry . . .for me everything is more about appreciation.

Nearly 2000 hours in, spent over £600 even though I found and forged over 90% of gear . . . this is a 'live' game with the team constantly working on it . . . fantastic gfx and audio etc., etc., who the hell couldn't enjoy that ?

Of course, nothing can be all things to all men so we get all these threads with conflictiong views . . . and so we should, that's life, and gaming is just a part of our lives. This being the case it is obvious that what is considered 'grind' will have different perceptions from different gamers. I'm a dogged Cornishman, well used to getting my head down and getting stuck in so where so many have a negative attitude to what they consider to be 'grind' I just see it as yet another challenge to overcome . . . no matter how much of it has to be done.

My first computer gaming was in 1971 when the pubs had the old 'ping pong' game, follow on through the 90's in the days of no rounded edges and we couldn't walk in the water to today . . .and just look at what we have today. As an 'old-timer' I never cease to be amazed at how far it has all come so when I play Warframe - and boy oh boy, the rendering on the frames is nothing short of beautiful - or any other top notch game I never forget the journey getting here.

Back in the 80's I'd do some programming with one of my nephews - he was about 10 years old at the time - and he said the only thing he wanted to do was be a games programmer. For some years he's held a senior position at Creative Assembly having achieved his dreams, but neither of us forget all of our early experiments in computer gaming and the magic of creating.

I'd imagine there are a lot of guys with similar experiences so why I mention this is because we make up one 'frame of mind', but I accept there will be many different 'frames of mind' from those with different experiences and those who came to gaming much later and so have far more demands from the industry . . .for me everything is more about appreciation.

Well, I'm a bit younger but I completely agree.

Have spent way more than you but still I craft everything and I don't use plat to buy items, unless we're talking about cosmetics or Stalker stuff.

I just love the game, it's my gaming home since 3 years and I'm said when I realize very poor players enjoy it as much as I do.

Edited by siralextraffo

Well, I'm a bit younger but I completely agree.

Have spent way more than you but still I craft everything and I don't use plat to buy items, unless we're talking about cosmetics or Stalker stuff.

I just love the game, it's my gaming home since 3 years and I'm said when I realize very poor players enjoy it as much as I do.

Cosmetics and boosters have taken a lot of my plats.

I went for 2 years without anything more than a 20% off then, within a month, I got 2 x 75% off plats so as my usual was spending £32.50 I bought 2 x 4000 plats. With 8,000 plats at such a low rate I bought the latest frame as I haven't much interest in some of the new stuff . . . if I need to prove myself against level 60 - 100 grineer I'll do it in the towers where I get more rewards and have more fun.

I think you are a bit like me, we have a natural love of the game . . . there is just something about it which never ceases in giving pleasure.

It's funny, really, we are all creatures of habit and just about everything we do in life is repetitive . .so why the hell should 'grinding' in gaming be anything different, lol . . . and, of course, we have something so many don't . . . just about the best looking frame in the game, Excal. Prime . .

Edited by CaptainEras

Cosmetics and boosters have taken a lot of my plats.

I went for 2 years without anything more than a 20% off then, within a month, I got 2 x 75% off plats so as my usual was spending £32.50 I bought 2 x 4000 plats. With 8,000 plats at such a low rate I bought the latest frame as I haven't much interest in some of the new stuff . . . if I need to prove myself against level 60 - 100 grineer I'll do it in the towers where I get more rewards and have more fun.

I think you are a bit like me, we have a natural love of the game . . . there is just something about it which never ceases in giving pleasure.

It's funny, really, we are all creatures of habit and just about everything we do in life is repetitive . .so why the hell should 'grinding' in gaming be anything different, lol . . . and, of course, we have something so many don't . . . just about the best looking frame in the game, Excal. Prime . .

Lol, that really sound close to my story, as I used to get 20% only until November last year, when you started to get 75% off every week/10 days and raised my plat to insane amounts, without actually using them except for some trading and cosmetics.

The game just caught me and doesn't let me go, despite some breaks or rage moments, here is where I always come back.

And yea, I come back also cause my main and most used frame is waiting for me, Excalibur Prime :D

They need to fix how RNG works, the percentages associated with it, and definitely need to rethink the locations for some of the things locked behind the grindwalls. The farm for Ivara is straight up ludicrous. The introduction of Nezha as a sortie exclusive frame seems to me to be the most universally panned idea DE has come up with on this entire forum, and all over Warframe in the chat. RNG is ok when it's balanced, but the RNG usage for pretty much everything, and the fact that it's so imbalanced in every way is just strangling the potential fun to be had with this seemingly limitless game. How many frames have you went for, where you received about 7 helmets and 12 chases before actually getting a systems? How many times have you gotten the same stupid thing over and over while farming in the void, because RNG? It's straight up killing this game.

I'd say it isn't. The sheer number of players running sorties and the fact that Nezha parts are tradeable will make it easy to obtain.

Until RNG ruins your hopes and dreams, like it always does.

They need to fix how RNG works, the percentages associated with it, and definitely need to rethink the locations for some of the things locked behind the grindwalls. The farm for Ivara is straight up ludicrous. The introduction of Nezha as a sortie exclusive frame seems to me to be the most universally panned idea DE has come up with on this entire forum, and all over Warframe in the chat. RNG is ok when it's balanced, but the RNG usage for pretty much everything, and the fact that it's so imbalanced in every way is just strangling the potential fun to be had with this seemingly limitless game. How many frames have you went for, where you received about 7 helmets and 12 chases before actually getting a systems? How many times have you gotten the same stupid thing over and over while farming in the void, because RNG? It's straight up killing this game.

Until RNG ruins your hopes and dreams, like it always does.

"Until RNG ruins your hopes and dreams, like it always does."

"grindwalls"

nothing ruins you if you enjoy it, but if you want all free and now, guess what happens; you got burned

never seen newcoming players? videos of first impressions? all these people are having a lot of fun, why? because they dont worry about having all, they only worry about enjoying the game, its time to stop trying to have all and start enjoying the game like most of us did when starting to play it

Edited by mstriker

The problem with taking the grind too far?  Right now, many of DE's content updates are literally a set of weapons and/or a new frame, and the joy in the content doesn't come from trying to get it (usually), but having a new "game piece" to interact with everything that's already there.  If it were up to me, I would either take a quest/new boss for a lot of the frames (adding new content to interact with), or find a way to backload the grind (You have the weapon, but it's hard to level up for the first time until you do X, Y, and Z).  

At the end of it, for something really grindy, you have to be assured that the end result will add to your fun in a way that's worth it enough or the time taken itself has to be fun.  To me, honestly, a lot of the grind walls that have come up recently do not fit either either condition.  Ivara might very likely meet that bar, but it neither looks like Wukong or Nezha will meet that bar, and that's why I'll build them if I ever get the stuff to, but otherwise will not bother.  The other side of this is that a patch that releases another pain to grind like Wukong into the wild?  If it's not interesting enough, it could be a contentless patch, which I know DE doesn't want players to have that feeling.

It doesn't matter how many repeats of helmets etc., you get, it's all currency . . .and you need currency for the trader, and credits for other stuff.

A few have already mentioned that the game you have now is the same game its always been .  . only better now.

I'm a gfx @#&*(, always have been, that's why I spend far too much having the latest gfx card . .or near as, they do supercede very fast, but my 980 is doing a grand job at the moment . .

Other games come along like the Witcher 3, the latest in the brilliant series, the absolutely magnificent Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain [this is a hybrid, forget all other metal gear games . .none are like this], and quite a few more, but Warframe always gets a decent amount of play time . .just to get that certain 'fix', lol . .

The problem with taking the grind too far?  Right now, many of DE's content updates are literally a set of weapons and/or a new frame, and the joy in the content doesn't come from trying to get it (usually), but having a new "game piece" to interact with everything that's already there.  If it were up to me, I would either take a quest/new boss for a lot of the frames (adding new content to interact with), or find a way to backload the grind (You have the weapon, but it's hard to level up for the first time until you do X, Y, and Z).  

At the end of it, for something really grindy, you have to be assured that the end result will add to your fun in a way that's worth it enough or the time taken itself has to be fun.  To me, honestly, a lot of the grind walls that have come up recently do not fit either either condition.  Ivara might very likely meet that bar, but it neither looks like Wukong or Nezha will meet that bar, and that's why I'll build them if I ever get the stuff to, but otherwise will not bother.  The other side of this is that a patch that releases another pain to grind like Wukong into the wild?  If it's not interesting enough, it could be a contentless patch, which I know DE doesn't want players to have that feeling.

I have all the frames but do agree with you to a certain extent . . . are the latest frames worth the effort ?

For a long time I have believed that the best frames, and the ones I use 90% of the time, are the early ones, the original ones. Bit by bit the frames have gotten more hype than actual content, but I do collect them all because that is part of the game and it gives me valuable points for MR.

I have already mentioned that I'm no fan of all this focus nonsense and 3 daily missions for a pile of unwanted rubbish, so I just don't do it . . .it doesn't ruin the game . .I never do pvp either, just my choice. Loved the Orochinmoon 5 stages and did them solo . .can't wait for Sniper, which I believe is next on the list, unless they change it around.

I'm not saying I'll never be interested in the new stuff and do join squads when asked to help out . . . my reason is very simple, if I want to play hard and intense I go heavy duty in the towers, T3/4 Intercept/Survival level 60+ . . .so why waste time and resources on high level missions offering rewards of variations of things I dumped over a year ago.

Fortunately, Warframe actually has something for just about everyone, you just have to know what you want and go look for it.

I shall be jumping in. in a moment and I think it'll be another night doing as us more advanced players have been asked to do . . .help the newbies. which means the 1 or 2 zero to no more than level 2 who have gone into a survival can do their thing whilst I sit back, stroking my pooch, and only jumping in when they look as though they are in trouble . . .just another way to play the game ;)

Edited by CaptainEras

A lot of really famous games have a lot of grind too.Want a pearlencent weapon in Borderlands? Easy just kill that boss a million times. Want a shiny new boat in GTA V? Do raids forever for credits.

Gaming involves some sort of grinding because because it would be too easy to get everything you want in 10 minutes of playing.

Edited by (PS4)lhbuch

A lot of really famous games have a lot of grind too.Want a pearlencent weapon in Borderlands? Easy just kill that boss a million times. Want a shiny new boat in GTA V? Do raids forever for credits.

Gaming involves some sort of grinding because because it would be too easy to get everything you want in 10 minutes of playing.

Problem is, in GTA V, when i get the money, i don't have a 80 % chance of getting a row boat instead and neither do i have to wait 24 hours to actually use it.

Problem is, in GTA V, when i get the money, i don't have a 80 % chance of getting a row boat instead and neither do i have to wait 24 hours to actually use it.

but in gta you go in the street killing people over and over in the same map allways and you didnt get burned

thats it, you dont worry of having all so you have fun,

you worry of having all, free and now;you get burned

lesson: enjoy the game without worrying about having all... want a warframe; farm it if you have fun, if not, dont do it; sell things and buy it. 

do you see people complaining about grind in cod or bf? its grind: you kill the same enemies in the same maps over and over; you dont see them.

also:

-COD one year before another the same formula and the same base game; 60$+DLCs each year, poor variety, only weapon variety, casual and repetitive gameplay, same standard movements, "grindy" multiplayer and a constant grnd without reward called zombie mode....  few people complains, a lot of pople defends it with all they have

-.warframe: free base game, free updates, changes with the time for free, great variety in warframes and weapons, parkour, magic powers, movement freedom...   in terms of "grind": few people defends it.... a lot of people complains a lot about grind

DIFFERENCE:

-COD pay pay pay more for the same each year: people dont complain because they force them to pay to enjoy the full experience

-warframe; you are not forced to pay if you put a bit of effort... people saying: wow grind this is grind simulator blah blah blah grind is killing the game because i cant have all free and now...

so:

if you give the people a cash eater they accept it and say its one of the best thing theyve ever seen 

if you give the people a free jewel they want more and more

but in gta you go in the street killing people over and over in the same map allways and you didnt get burned

lesson: enjoy the game without worrying about having all... want a warframe; farm it if you have fun, if not, dont do it; sell things and buy it. 

do you see people complaining about grind in cod or bf? its grind: you kill the same enemies in the same maps over and over; you dont see them.

also:

-COD one year before another the same formula and the same base game; 60$+DLCs each year, poor variety, only weapon variety, casual and repetitive gameplay, same standard movements, "grindy" multiplayer and a constant grnd without reward called zombie mode....  few people complains, a lot of pople defends it with all they have

-.warframe: free base game, free updates, changes with the time for free, great variety in warframes and weapons, parkour, magic powers, movement freedom...   in terms of "grind": few people defends it.... a lot of people complains a lot about grind

DIFFERENCE:

-COD pay pay pay more for the same each year: people dont complain because they force them to pay to enjoy the full experience

-warframe; you are not forced to pay if you put a bit of effort... people saying: wow grind this is grind simulator blah blah blah grind is killing the game because i cant have all free and now...

so:

if you give the people a cash eater they accept it and say its one of the best thing theyve ever seen 

Unless the players are the type of fans who don't care what the company does they will buy it, most tend to not complain about the game if they know what they paid for. For example, CoD has the same type of formula with a few changes, but the players don't mind that because they already know what it is.

Likewise, Halo 5 is way different from the previous Halos by how they removed vital components and then setup their warzone multiplayer where it is all RNG and microtransactions for your items and there are folks who complained about it and decided to NOT buy anymore because Microsoft and 343 forgot why people bought Halo in the first place.

Most game companies (who are smart) tend to balance the game out where the RNG is way low and the grind is somewhat tolerable. Some others that are F2P will jack up the RNG (E.G. 5% chance out of 100), but keep it where it is only one RNG wall and the rest are grindwalls. Warframe, on the other hand, depending on what a player is trying to do will hit RNG wall after RNG wall after RNG wall while grinding.

I.E. Trying to get Ash Prime's chassis? T2 Survival C rotation and T4 survival A rotation are what you have to farm to get it. But unless you keyshare for those missions till you get it, you will have to run spy missions or excavation missions in order to get the chance of trying get a void key (RNG). Add to it if it is the key you need (RNG) just so you can run the void missions that pertain to the chassis. Then you have to survive till the rotation if you get it (RNG) and once you do can leave and finally get the item you sought.

Trading works out for those who either have the items they can trade for plat or have the money to spend for plat. If your luck in this game is shoddy and your spending money is little to none, you are screwed either way. And as much as some might be complaining about wanting everything as soon as it comes out, there are others who bring up that they have been farming for certain parts for months, or at least farming to items so they can trade for plat or those parts, and STILL have not gotten them. It is one thing to want everything new as soon as it comes out, but another when you are farming for so long for something that shouldn't take that much time, and still get nothing out of it.

Unless the players are the type of fans who don't care what the company does they will buy it, most tend to not complain about the game if they know what they paid for. For example, CoD has the same type of formula with a few changes, but the players don't mind that because they already know what it is.

Likewise, Halo 5 is way different from the previous Halos by how they removed vital components and then setup their warzone multiplayer where it is all RNG and microtransactions for your items and there are folks who complained about it and decided to NOT buy anymore because Microsoft and 343 forgot why people bought Halo in the first place.

Most game companies (who are smart) tend to balance the game out where the RNG is way low and the grind is somewhat tolerable. Some others that are F2P will jack up the RNG (E.G. 5% chance out of 100), but keep it where it is only one RNG wall and the rest are grindwalls. Warframe, on the other hand, depending on what a player is trying to do will hit RNG wall after RNG wall after RNG wall while grinding.

I.E. Trying to get Ash Prime's chassis? T2 Survival C rotation and T4 survival A rotation are what you have to farm to get it. But unless you keyshare for those missions till you get it, you will have to run spy missions or excavation missions in order to get the chance of trying get a void key (RNG). Add to it if it is the key you need (RNG) just so you can run the void missions that pertain to the chassis. Then you have to survive till the rotation if you get it (RNG) and once you do can leave and finally get the item you sought.

Trading works out for those who either have the items they can trade for plat or have the money to spend for plat. If your luck in this game is shoddy and your spending money is little to none, you are screwed either way. And as much as some might be complaining about wanting everything as soon as it comes out, there are others who bring up that they have been farming for certain parts for months, or at least farming to items so they can trade for plat or those parts, and STILL have not gotten them. It is one thing to want everything new as soon as it comes out, but another when you are farming for so long for something that shouldn't take that much time, and still get nothing out of it.

never had a problem with rng: all my prime gear; each part; i obtained it in 2 days at most, (and obviously the time it takes to construct, but i dont mind it because its not bad, you can o anything else meanwhile)

so i dont think is as bad as you say it.

I think the reason why i agree with this topic so much is because no matter how much i grind, there's no Uber-Hard difficulty content waiting at the end to push this super strong stuff im using.

Its like.  You win, wait for the next grind.

When i want it to be, 'You are prepared! Now face these teeth-grinding hard challenges!' and people where dissappointed because when Sortie's came out they ended up being so easy that theyre Solo-able.   Level 80 to level 120 is not hard.

Adding more grinds is starting to burn me out, when what im actually begging for is something that will slap my Warframe dead in the face and say 'You should have dodged that'.   Enemies in this game arent formidable enough for people to actually consider taking cover from enemy fire -.-

Edited by SnakeWildlife

also:

DIFFERENCE:

so:

As said before, call of duty fanbase gives money every time it is done in COD game, therefore they keep doing it, cause obviously its fanbase likes it and GTA V main focus is story and then after that online, nobody buys GTA V JUST to kill civs. 

Warframe gets worked on BECAUSE we give money, they have to add updates in order to keep the people and still earn money while not overdoing platium prices and such as to feel justified to the consumer and the way its going atm, 2 Bundles what consisted of armor sets and weapon skins people wouldnt actually use but had to buy in order to get what they want it sure doesn't seem like fair to me.

Grind and rng has to feel FAIR to player so that they dont feel like being cheated. I cant just grind ash prime, i have to grind keys first, which could take weeks then have to farm his parts which could also take weeks and that makes players feel like they have to spend platium in order to actually get what they want and even then they have to now deal with time walls, which many people just stop right there, now before you bring up ITS FREE, yes, yes it is, but so is most of Perfect World games yet people seem to have problem with how they manage their stuff and when their fanboys answer with ITS FREE argument, you would prob scoff.

The fact is in order for warframe to not to burn out, they have to rebalance drops and all that, because right now, its just diluted rotation c pools with more sought after parts being covered in common stuff or even orokin cells and that makes players feel like cheated, hell thats prob the reason they hid the % of the prime drop rates in order to keep the backlash of making stuff super rare in order to increase platium purchase. 

For now, all we can do is wait for new solar system to see if the promised lowering of the grind actually comes or not.

PS: youre argument of "it was fine for me, you guys are just blowing it out of proportion" can easily be debunked by taking a look at platium prices in trading chat. 

Edited by LoneDirewolf

put this into shortcut:

People *@##$ing because they can't get what they want directly. 

ALTERNATE: You guys are just burnt out or something. 

It's only a grind if you make it a grind. 

I dont even do sorties anymore..... i just play for fun

But yes, I get all your pains hell I felt it too.

Edited by DzeraDragonbane

also:

DIFFERENCE:

so:

Hahahahahahaha . . . you, my friend, have hit the nail on the head and I agree with everything you have written ;)

at least someone gets it 

emm yeah, and cod is grind, and battlefield is grind, and halo is grind, and gta is grind.....

-hey guys lets play multiplayer and kill the same @(*()$ enemies over and over and over and over in the same maps over and over and over and over and over and lets say we are having lots of fun... and guys lets go to warframe to say S#&$ about it because we do the @(*()$ same that in these other games, but the only difference is that is f2p, have more content and they dont let us have ALL, NOW and FREE, so lets say S#&$ about it!!!

i know warframe has its fails, but the thing that pisses me is a lot of people complaining about grind saying warframe is a grind simulator and then going to play and say those games are fun

emm yeah, and cod is grind, and battlefield is grind, and halo is grind, and gta is grind.....

-hey guys lets play multiplayer and kill the same @(*()$ enemies over and over and over and over in the same maps over and over and over and over and over and lets say we are having lots of fun... and guys lets go to warframe to say S#&$ about it because we do the @(*()$ same that in these other games, but the only difference is that is f2p, have more content and they dont let us have ALL, NOW and FREE, so lets say S#&$ about it!!!

i know warframe has its fails, but the thing that pisses me is a lot of people complaining about grind saying warframe is a grind simulator and then going to play and say those games are fun

Like I said before, they may be talking about the grind in the game but they probably mean the RNG aspect of it. While RNG may have been fine for you and a few others, but there are plenty of people who can't get the same results because of how it works. Some get the parts within the minimum amount of runs, others can't even get a single part over multiple runs within a year.

As for grinding in other games like CoD and other types of games like that, besides the buy to play aspect in some of those games you actually SEE what your grind gets you. You want that sweet rifle that level 25 players have = then grind up to lvl 25 and get it. You want that cool helmet that comes from a 25 kill melee only achievement = then go ahead and do it!

Warframe's version is more: You want Ash prime = either buy the parts from other players or get ready to gamble for everything.....oh and you will have to grind to get the keys for that gamble as well.

So yes, as many times as myself and others have said in the topic, the grind isn't what is killing Warframe. The Rng is killing it and it doesn't help that in higher map runs they dilute them with lower tier stuff.