Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About The Sydon (And A Little Rant)

The Sydon is a Trident. But is a polearm. Why aren't the spikes sideways? If we're swinging it like it slashes why aren't the spikes atleast sideways. But anyways, in my opinion, Polearms are one of the most boring melee type other then duel swords. Polearms are very similar to each other (you could probably consider them interchangeable) and the two stances they do have. Have only have one combo for each stance. Which makes you wonder why DE doesn't just combine them. Back to the Sydon. The effort to research it isn't made up for by its stats. Its practically a market weapon that got lost and somehow ended up in clan research. In my opinion, the Sydon should of just been a skin. What are your thoughts on the Sydon and polearms in general?

Edited by (PS4)Fac3kick3r_lolz

well, I'm not on PC, but I won't say no to new weapons. regarding the way it's wielded, the Polearm stances were made for weapons with primarily Cutting-type blades. the Tipedo especially is clearly meant for long reaching cuts. the other two look a little more "thrustable", but still suit a slashing motion best. and because it's easier to just not make a new stance, that's what DE did to get it in the game faster.

personally, I like Polearms, but I feel some of them need love;

Orthos/Orthos prime - no more attention needed really, especially regarding the Prime, which is by far the most powerful of the Polearms. I reckon the regular should be given a slight buff IMO.

the Tipedo lost favour after Coptering was removed, I reckon it needs a little love again (but not too much, so that we don't all go back to Tipedo-or-Nothing mode). giving it the New Loka Syndicate treatment (Sancti Tipedo) would be a good move IMO.

the Tonbo could probably use a buff/Syndicate Treatment as well: I like it, but again, it's completely trounced by the Orthos Prime.

the Stances could use a look, but I'd rather them work on weapons that need it more first (looking at you, Machetes). I'm sure DE will get round to it eventually though.

otherwise, bring on the Sydon!

well, I'm not on PC, but I won't say no to new weapons. regarding the way it's wielded, the Polearm stances were made for weapons with primarily Cutting-type blades. the Tipedo especially is clearly meant for long reaching cuts. the other two look a little more "thrustable", but still suit a slashing motion best. and because it's easier to just not make a new stance, that's what DE did to get it in the game faster.

Orthos/Orthos prime - no more attention needed really, especially regarding the Prime, which is by far the most powerful of the Polearms. I reckon the regular should be given a slight buff IMO.

the Tipedo lost favour after Coptering was removed, I reckon it needs a little love again (but not too much, so that we don't all go back to Tipedo-or-Nothing mode). giving it the New Loka Syndicate treatment (Sancti Tipedo) would be a good move IMO.

the Tonbo could probably use a buff/Syndicate Treatment as well: I like it, but again, it's completely trounced by the Orthos Prime.

the Stances could use a look, but I'd rather them work on weapons that need it more first (looking at you, Machetes). I'm sure DE will get round to it eventually though.

How dare you badmouth my precious tonbo...

You deserve the worst fate

Don't forget that one of the polearms you mentioned is actually... a staff for some reason.

The one you might have meant was serro... which incidentally has no place as a polearm IMO, and would fit much better with the scythes if anything.

the spikes have some laser thingy on the sides so swinging it is fine

well. sort of fine, it deals literally 0 slash damage despite both the design and the animations.

Edited by rapt0rman

i use "sticks" since the start, i use orthos for 800 hours now and still do. You guys underestimate what sticks do esspecialy with primed reach on.
@kingtaro has pointed this out well, you can have your dream stats on a sword and be happy with 1v1, but this game doesnt revolve around 1v1 -__-, sticks have lower stats  because you hit 20 manics like taro has shown and thats just a slide. The normal slapping enemies without stance already hits like 10 mobs. So the stats you see now times 10 damage.

Its pretty self apparent... gonna try this new leet looking stick right now, no matter how low it stats are or how much people will complain about a stance, any stick without stance beats a broken war by miles.

What I think is that they should have made it into a skin like it was mentioned or at least release it with a new stance. As of now all we see is swings but it's a puncture weapon. Design wise, it should have been pointy or with a different damage type. As of now, I think it should have been a stance. Like it was previously mentioned, this new weapon brings NOTHING new to the table except new 3d model. Certainly not worth all of the resources we need to put into it's research.

+ To all of the people who thinks that we are complaining, please educate yourself and see the difference between complaining and expressing an opinion. Thank you. 

Good post :)

If it had as strong stances as, let's say, Cleaving WW / Tempo Royale , Final Harbinger (*prepares to run*) , Crimson derpish - it would have been top weapon with orthos prime - OP for reach and speed , Sydon for status and reliable other stats (puncture, decent crits, fine attack speed) . Now polearms, only offer really good slide attacks.

Edited by pavlo555

Really was hoping it would be a new weapon type here too, something stabby, leading to a lance/spear/trident/other-polearms-seriously-theres-thousands-of-varriants-in--real-life-and-probably-a-five-didget-number-when-fantasy-is-involved weapon group. A unique charge attack where you throw it maybe, or a weapon augment to make that happen.

Instead its put into one of the sameyest weapon groups that already doesn't have much to stand apart aside from the Orthos Prime, and doesn't even stick out next to the others. At least the Tonbo looks pretty and the Tipedo had its fame once upon a time.

(I do still like the tipedo when I get full berserker stacks, fury and Volt's speed for how ridiculous it looks. The hilarity of that IS worth a bonus point, I've got to be fair.)

Don't forget that one of the polearms you mentioned is actually... a staff for some reason.

The one you might have meant was serro... which incidentally has no place as a polearm IMO, and would fit much better with the scythes if anything.

well. sort of fine, it deals literally 0 slash damage despite both the design and the animations.

No, he meant Sydon, it is an actual weapon.