Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chilling Globe Vs Ice Wave Impedance. No Contest.

(PSN)Fen_Integrum

I'm wondering if someone would be able to explain why they may be willing to take Ice Wave Impedance over Chilling Globe. 

Impedance lasts for up to 12 seconds unmodded, so comparatively it will always be outlasted by Chilling Globe.

IWI only slows the enemies, while CG freezes them solid.

IWI basically just makes the Wave into a standard Snow Globe, for all it's status effect. 

Yet they both cost the same energy to cast. 

Perhaps there is some scenario where it is tactically superior that I have missed? Let me know. I find out new tricks in this game all the time, and while I feel that its outright inferior, I'm eager to be proven wrong.

-Fen

Chilling globe doesn't guarantee a freeze and only works within the bubble, Ice Wave Impedance guarantees slowing them down by a pretty decent amount over a wider area.

Personal preference, both are good.

Edited by DeMonkey

Ice Wave, used in a mission that requires movement. Slowing down attackers etc.

It also doesn't have a gigantic denial area for your own squad's fire.

Globe is used for primarily defensive situations. Obviously.

They both have their merits. Both are situationally useful.

Edited by xethier

Chilling Globe is made rather obsolete when all it takes is a simple recast to fling every enemy outside of its range. 

The main benefit of Chilling Globe was to make it harder for enemies to advance on the objective within. There really isn't a good use for Chilling Globe with the recent rework, unless you like to be very far away from the objective you're protecting (not really sure why you would be).

Ice Wave has a much larger range, can be recast to cover different areas easily, doesn't require you to actually be standing on said area to cover it, doesn't block allied fire into the area, has a guaranteed effect instead of a chance-based effect...

Yeah there's a fair number of reasons to use it. Depends on the circumstances.

Ice Wave has a much larger range, can be recast to cover different areas easily, doesn't require you to actually be standing on said area to cover it, doesn't block allied fire into the area, has a guaranteed effect instead of a chance-based effect...

The guaranteed effect of the wave augment is already a guaranteed effect for the globe though. You can go large range and still get the guaranteed effect.

Chilling Globe is made rather obsolete when all it takes is a simple recast to fling every enemy outside of its range. 

The main benefit of Chilling Globe was to make it harder for enemies to advance on the objective within. There really isn't a good use for Chilling Globe with the recent rework, unless you like to be very far away from the objective you're protecting (not really sure why you would be).

I dont understand how that makes it obsolete. What you refer to costs twice the energy for an instantaneous effect, the push, rather than a lasting aoe. The push would be great for run and gun missions, but Chilling Globe still has a place in defenses.

Ice Wave, used in a mission that requires movement. Slowing down attackers etc.

It also doesn't have a gigantic denial area for your own squad's fire.

Globe is used for primarily defensive situations. Obviously.

They both have their merits. Both are situationally useful.

The denial is definitely true. I hadnt thought about that. 

The Globe can be used for other forms of CC that are good on the move, like laying down cover behind you, or knocking enemies away.

Chilling globe doesn't guarantee a freeze and only works within the bubble, Ice Wave Impedance guarantees slowing them down by a pretty decent amount over a wider area.

Personal preference, both are good.

The guaranteed effect you gain from the wave is already guaranteed by the globe, and doesn't require a mod. You're basically just making a slow AOE with a low duration, which is basically like a less powerful snow globe without the defense capability.

Edited by (PS4)Fenrushak

I honest to God dont know why youd use either. Enemies inside your globe? Tap 3. Enemies coming at you outside the globe? Press 2 and they become affected by cold reducing speed(Without even using the mod) I mean by they time you need to use 2 again youd likely have collected some more energy so energy cost shouldnt be a problem.

I dont understand how that makes it obsolete. What you refer to costs twice the energy for an instantaneous effect, the push, rather than a lasting aoe. The push would be great for run and gun missions, but Chilling Globe still has a place in defenses.

My build has maximum Efficiency, maximum Primed Flow, about 96% or so Duration, maximum Sprint Speed discluding the Aura (best for when defending multiple locations and teammates), and Range being 145%. I'm not in-game to check my Power Strength, but I'm pretty sure it is 115% with my Arcane Squall.

This build allows me to place Snow Globe 34 times until my energy is entirely depleted. With normal enemy drops, it is rare I run out of energy. With the recent Zenurik passive, this happens even less often. In team play, should there be an energy restore Warframe, you'll likely never hurt for energy so long as that Warframe remains alive.

The range of my Snow Globe is just large enough to keep heavy enemies, like Heavy Gunners, Bombards, Techs, etc, outside of the Globe when centered around an objective, and any who do enter the Globe tend to be smaller grunts posing less of a threat. If there is a large threat, popping Snow Globe again removes these enemies, potentially outright killing them and freezing those who do not die momentarily, while repairing my damaged Snow Globe. A lot of wins.

Adding Chilling Globe into my build would hurt my mobility, damage reduction, or ability to use my abilities, and not give me any benefit I can't already perform.

Personally, I do not use Ice Wave Impedance, either, but had I to choose between Chilling Globe and IWI, I would choose IWI as it provides an expansion to my Arsenal, instead of buffing it situationally. 

True, I understand not everyone plays Frost the way I do, but I can't see the benefit of Chilling Globe unless you aren't near your Globe. The most use I had found for the augment was before his rework, when enemies entered my Globe in large scale, I would recast it in an attempt to freeze half of them. 

Using more energy was something I had already been doing.

I usually use chilling globe for infested and iwi for more cc. I have a build that uses both. Being able to recast snowglobe and push all enemies out really eliminates much need for snow globe. 

I have two frost so I have very specific builds. This is my build for Hieracon. I have energy overflow maxed out on zenurik, so I'm fine with the efficiency. 

bHDt5pg.jpg

Use chilling globe when

1.Enemies get in the globe very fast like in Def/MDef mission where you're in the middle of the room

2.Corner choke points or more-than-one-exit room camping

Otherwise use Icewave Impedance

TBH you can just spam Icewave Impedance and ignore chilling globe completely.

Edited by Volinus7

I usually use chilling globe for infested and iwi for more cc. I have a build that uses both. Being able to recast snowglobe and push all enemies out really eliminates much need for snow globe. 

I have two frost so I have very specific builds. This is my build for Hieracon. I have energy overflow maxed out on zenurik, so I'm fine with the efficiency. 

I hope to god you dont use that build in regular missions >.>

Depends on how you play him i guess...A defesive frost sets globes to slow and protect. Chilling globe is kinda wasted there as his ult simply gives better results. Iwi as tactical slow probably gives better results for this purpose.

A offensive frost sets globes in his active battlefield (push against walls=50% health as finisher damage, next to the small ammounts that come with evry cast) while he keeps casting. The globes take care of the radial slow in this scenario and iw is beein used on a regular base. Iwi is therefore wasted there and chilling globe adds free additional CC in a area where it makes sense.

The difference is max range vs range+strength in my case. Frost is pretty darn easy to build.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

I hope to god you dont use that build in regular missions >.>

Why exactly? Cause "globes all over the place"? Pushing makes the most, or rather ONLY sense in corridors and at walls where enemys are able to hit something for the damage. No offensive frost would EVER force you into a uncontrolled crowd or interrupt your line of fire in open fields (in contrary to other frames *cogh*limbo)

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Why exactly? Cause "globes all over the place"? Pushing makes the most, or rather ONLY sense in corridors and at walls where enemys are able to hit something for the damage. No offensive frost would EVER force you into a uncontrolled crowd or interrupt your line of fire in open fields (in contrary to other frames *cogh*limbo)

No :x Because his globe would have no health to defend the target :x Since he has - str and no armor mods. That's all Im sayin :x

No :x Because his globe would have no health to defend the target :x Since he has - str and no armor mods. That's all Im sayin :x

Ah sry didn't see the pic you refered to... nah man, globe health is kinda optional in theory. The globe has a invincibility-phase of 4 seconds where it absorbs (or should absorb) the most part of its health. Stacking globes for the absorbed damage under heavy fire gives the best result and its own health makes a slight difference if anything. Especially in higher lvls... the thing that catches my attention there is the missing efficiency. Efficiency to stack >>>>>>>>>> strength. Impossible to substain... this guy seems to use it for infested tho so it can work i guess?...

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

the main difference is that icewave augment is a slow that you affects enemies away from you, without having to be next to them.

it works well with range duration build.  CC focus

200ish duration and it lasts a while

honestly if you are wanting a freeze at closer ranges, you might as well just press 4 and save yourself a mod slot lel

I use that build on Hieracon, maybe dark sectors are different on PC from consoles, but that's infested. The globe doesn't need much health for infested since they don't really attack it. I think the only ones that attack it are the MOAs, but it's rare for my globes to drop in Hieracon or ODD, though I prefer to not have frost for ODD. 

Ah sry didn't see the pic you refered to... nah man, globe health is kinda optional in theory. The globe has a invincibility-phase of 4 seconds where it absorbs (or should absorb) the most part of its health. Stacking globes for the absorbed damage under heavy fire gives the best result and its own health makes a slight difference if anything. Especially in higher lvls... the thing that catches my attention there is the missing efficiency. Efficiency to stack >>>>>>>>>> strength. Impossible to substain... this guy seems to use it for infested tho so it can work i guess?...

Yea, I rely on my zenurik passive for energy. 

Edited by (PS4)DeathDro

Ice wave impedance slows mobs down, much like molecular prime, is cheap to cast and easy to mod for. Oh and it's %100 chance to CC. Love it. Personal preference I guess.

Yea but Ice wave ALREADY procs cold which slows without the need of a mod in the first place.

Ah yes but it only slows mobs by %50 and only slows mobs you intially hit. Now if you add the augment then the slow effect is dramatically increased and the ice wave leaves a trail on the ground applying the crazy good slow effect to any mobs who steps in to the cone radias AND it's duration is increased by duration mods. You mod that sucker right and you will be laughing at how helpless those poor mobs are. Play test it and see if you can find an appreciation for it. Chilling globe is good but I prefer ice wave impedance is all.

The cold doesnt stack with the augment it's still 50%.

It's really not. Play tested 30 minutes ago in the simulation thingy. Tested the same build, same mobs, once without the augment and once with the augment. There is a huge difference between the slow down. Have you actually used the augment?