Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Current Thoughts On The Banshee Skin

This is not meant to induce flame, just wanna talk with you sexies

So ever since I saw the concept for the banshee skin on reddit a couple weeks back, I was religiously following it.  The recent devstream showed the 3D product of the skin. A.K.A what we are pretty much going to see in game.

Links  

3D

86lAXvm.jpg

Concept

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Banshee_Deluxe_Skin?file=BansheeSkinClean.png

I personally think for the most part, it's pretty awesome. But this wouldn't be a interesting post If I had something negative to say about it so here it goes. Disclaimer: This is based on the images I got as I am comparing them to the original work.

1) The helmet is highly detailed and well designed which is awesome. Although I think I would have been more suitable to make the headphones slightly bigger covering most of the sides of the head. Theres also some color missing in the Eye area compared to the concept art, but im assuming that will be added or tweaked soon. The Details on the helmet other than that are spectacular.

2) The Dress. This is probably my biggest qualm. What made the original concept so interesting is that this would have been the first skin in warframe to feature a wavy styled, full body dress. I was hopping It would be more wavy from the chest down. But from the 3D showing it looks like it will be skintight from the waist and then wavy from the waist down. This is as if it was a skirt. Now I could be wrong, if so I would like to be corrected. But personally I think the skin would have been a lot more appealing if it stuck more to the source material better. These are stills, so Im hoping its not the case but if it is, this is how i feel about it. Other than that the color, the intricacy and the design is on point.

3) The Stocking: First of all the leg area is fantastic. Only problem here is that in the OC, there was some lace at the top of the stocking bordering the "absolute territory" area of the leg. Personally I would have loved to see that added, also the light strobe on the stock, even if it's small it think it would add more flair to the character in question.

4) The over what?: If you look at the OC there seems to be a separate cloth above the chest area of the dress which seemed really interesting. Although in the new concept it seems to be just apart of the dress now. Personally I think it would have looked much more spectacular if there was a separation between the two cloth areas (The top part and the dress) hopefully they will map the colors appropriately.  

5) No wires why?: They removed the wiring from the neck to chest area, all i have to say is, why? It looked so damn cool.  I know that we are pretty hyped for this, but I still think that being constructive should apply as well. I really think the cloth physics could have really been used to its full potential for this skin, which imho from what I am seeing is not being used much at all, Regardless it's still a great skin, but can use some improvements to suit the character more and with respect to the original work. To me the sleekness of the skin is inherently gone and went for a bulkier physique which is sad.  

So what do you guys think? Do you agree with my points? Or do you like it the way it is now?

As a side note, As much as I love the banshee appearance in this new skin...it kind of irks me that they made her such a "plum" model rather than a more skinny entity. I am sorry but when I think of banshees I think of skin ghosts flying around making horrible sounds, not short women with a backside that brings all the boys to the yard.....

No offense to anyone's opinion, but I personally preferred the original concept art for banshee. Mostly it was because of the unique left arm she was given. For me it just made it look awesome for using her ult

Concept

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/1/18/BansheeSkin.png/revision/latest?cb=20151029195241

I like the design, my main issue is with her body proportions. She needs a slightly slimmer waist to be closer to the OC

As a side note, As much as I love the banshee appearance in this new skin...it kind of irks me that they made her such a "plum" model rather than a more skinny entity. I am sorry but when I think of banshees I think of skin ghosts flying around making horrible sounds, not short women with a backside that brings all the boys to the yard.....

Dang it you posted your comment before I could put my side note and now it looks awkward that I am just repeating what you are saying :P

Not as excited about this as with the Striga, but I doubt anything will get me that happy ever again. still, I am a sucker for Deluxe skins, so bring it on. Oddyl enough I played yesterday the first time banshee since... I crafted her, really. great timing.

I'm not a big fan of the recent surge of 'dresses', I get DE recently got the hang of cloth physics, and that's great, but we don't need everything to have these flashy dresses though surerly? It's off putting to me, atleast make these things optional in the skin.

Also the arm, I preferred the concept of it more than anything, not a fan of the record / CD there unless it's a removable armour piece, in which case, Great, more power to us in customising it.

Total thought's : It's a nice skin so far, but the dress thing somewhat kills it to me similar to the Strega trinity skin, I'll likely get this skin if it looks better in game though, But I don't want everything in the future to have these dresses / Cloth all the time, It's not something i'm keen on. Although we'll have to see how it flows in game, If it's not big and bulky (Like trinity and Saryn) and is more on the smaller side then i'm all for it, I just don't want over the top huge dresses, not a big fan of those.

Edited by Latiac

I agree with some points people have made already. The 4 wires that are going from the back of her head to the speaker on her chest are missing, disappointingly. If you look at the concept art, you'll notice the dress is one smooth piece, but the model for it is all lumpy in the front. The lace at the top of the stocking is missing. The side tie on at the side of dress is just 2 black strings with 2 red beads while the concept art has more going on; there's a knot and diamond shapes connecting the split on the side of the dress.

Edited by SicSlaver

I do agree that her body proportions are off compared to the concept art. They're more... 'normal', and don't have the effect I want.

I loved Trinity Strega specifically because its proportions are so obviously inhuman - skinny like a demon or a wraith, not skinny like a model, and that's awesome. Really gets the whole nightmare witch styling going. And that's what the Banshee concept art reminds me of, too.

Would be nice if they made her look like that - I want more spindly frames, dammit.

Agreed on the missing detail, too. Hopefully that means it's not final, and all the other extra bits will just be added/tweaked in the next week or so.

You made absolutely no sense.

Made perfect sense.

It looks like a very pale person wearing a dress and stockings without shoes that strapped a record player to their arm and is wearing a helmet with headphones.

The silver sections on the legs and arms are to mimic skin .

Someone could literally walk down the street wearing this. 

Its the most realistic proportioned thing de has made

Edited by (PS4)MakoPriest

1) The helmet is highly detailed and well designed which is awesome. Although I think I would have been more suitable to make the headphones slightly bigger covering most of the sides of the head. Theres also some color missing in the Eye area compared to the concept art, but im assuming that will be added or tweaked soon. The Details on the helmet other than that are spectacular.

2) The Dress. This is probably my biggest qualm. What made the original concept so interesting is that this would have been the first skin in warframe to feature a wavy styled, full body dress. I was hopping It would be more wavy from the chest down. But from the 3D showing it looks like it will be skintight from the waist and then wavy from the waist down. This is as if it was a skirt. Now I could be wrong, if so I would like to be corrected. But personally I think the skin would have been a lot more appealing if it stuck more to the source material better. These are stills, so Im hoping its not the case but if it is, this is how i feel about it. Other than that the color, the intricacy and the design is on point.

3) The Stocking: First of all the leg area is fantastic. Only problem here is that in the OC, there was some lace at the top of the stocking bordering the "absolute territory" area of the leg. Personally I would have loved to see that added, also the light strobe on the stock, even if it's small it think it would add more flair to the character in question.

4) The over what?: If you look at the OC there seems to be a separate cloth above the chest area of the dress which seemed really interesting. Although in the new concept it seems to be just apart of the dress now. Personally I think it would have looked much more spectacular if there was a separation between the two cloth areas (The top part and the dress) hopefully they will map the colors appropriately.  

5) No wires why?: They removed the wiring from the neck to chest area, all i have to say is, why? It looked so damn cool.  I know that we are pretty hyped for this, but I still think that being constructive should apply as well. I really think the cloth physics could have really been used to its full potential for this skin, which imho from what I am seeing is not being used much at all, Regardless it's still a great skin, but can use some improvements to suit the character more and with respect to the original work. To me the sleekness of the skin is inherently gone and went for a bulkier physique which is sad.  

So what do you guys think? Do you agree with my points? Or do you like it the way it is now?

Oh wow, I didn't know they teased it already! I've been waiting anxiously for it to come out! (I think she's my second most used frame? following behind Equinox and my little birb Zephyr being first).

Unfortunately, at least in regards to the two original concepts, I might have hints of me comparing them unfortunately, but I think it's important at least to some extent to critique how honest it is to the original OC and respecting the artist's vision.

With that being said, I'ma just go off on what you numbered on and see how it goes from there (:

1. Nothing to really add to what you previously said, as I'm within the vein as you. I'm loving the helmet so far and with a few tweaks (as to what is to be expected from just a "in-progress" model), it's definitely going to be an amazing helmet.

2. I'ma gonna break this down since this is also my biggest area that in my honest opinion, needs to be seriously improved before release (also, is expected, so it's just a first-impression if anything, only criticizing what they provided for us just as is).

- The proportions is where I think the issue lies in regards to the dress you mentioned, which if they make the overall body thinner and more petite, it will definitely have the kind of look the OC was going for. Right now it does kind of look like a skin-tight skirt forcefully on, which as well gives off that weird "plum" shape to her. So fixing that, should I believe make it look a bit more honest with that witch-like, haunting, vibe, instead of this BDSM mesh.

- What's so far and already on her dress itself (design, creases, etc) is great and pretty much on point, and pretty much how I expected it to be.

- Going back to the dress/proportions, at least based on the angles, maybe the legs on the OC are longer than the model they have so far? I'm not sure, but I do know is that I exactly feel the same way as FelisImpurrator has put it:

I do agree that her body proportions are off compared to the concept art. They're more... 'normal', and don't have the effect I want.

I loved Trinity Strega specifically because its proportions are so obviously inhuman - skinny like a demon or a wraith, not skinny like a model, and that's awesome. Really gets the whole nightmare witch styling going. And that's what the Banshee concept art reminds me of, too.

Would be nice if they made her look like that - I want more spindly frames, dammit.

Like Trinity's recent skin, I love what they did to it, making look inhuman. Not everything needs to be proportionally accurate to life, and has many other well-known IP's characters are, some leave the biggest impressions on a person to years to come when it goes for the more less "normal" look. Usually cartoon-like characters from TV shows and video games are obvious examples, but games such as Soul Sacrifice Delta and Bloodborne has showed us, you can still have your grimm (Soul Sacrifice pun, heh~) and some what realism-esque settings in your game, but can still have your grotesque, twisted, dis-proportioned characters and monsters alike within that same entity, and pull it off beautifully.

I really do hope they will be continuing to mess around with her proportions, which I have mentioned three or four times already, which is to be expected from a studio lol. Since, as again, it's obviously a rough "in-progress" state.

3. The lace design I'm speculating it will be added in later, once they get the proportions and other major aspects of her ironed-out before going into the finer details of her. I'd figure that she was wearing extremely thigh-thigh boots, with stockings underneath it, with the lace design sticking out. If that makes any sense lol. But closer inspection to both OC's, that doesn't seem to be the case. But still, it's safe to assume they will be added on the future.

Other than that, loving the design on it, from what I can see, and hopefully when it gets closer to completion, I can see the design a bit better with better lighting lol.

4. I'm not entirely sure what you're referring too (well, I think I do lol), but if what I'm thinking is correct, than I'm more than sure it'll look more like what you and I expected the two pieces to look like, once it's closer to the final model.

5. The wires, like I've mentioned with number 4 and 2, that it will definitely be there once its more worked on, as we know this is a pretty rough mesh for the most part, and likely haven't gotten to the wires just yet. Same could be said with the majority of the other finer details, as from the sounds of it from the past few devstreams, leads me to believe that until previously, she was only being worked on somewhat, on the side, prioritizing all the other work they've been doing the past few updates, and upcoming updates as well. Hence, kind of explains no ETA just yet, other than "maybe before 18.5, maybe just after 18.5".

- I don't believe you brought this up, but with the new design of the arm, I'm actually all for it! Though I love what it originally looked like, but considering the kind aesthetics they go far within Warframe, this really doesn't look like it belongs at all. Honestly, it looks exactly like this right arm you can get actually from Soul Sacrifice Delta, as seen: http://i.imgur.com/DTVmGQ5.jpg

I don't really want to look for it which row and column, but I'm just giving you an idea on what I'm talking about with "unlocking different right arms".

I think the new design in the second OC fits more closely with the vinyl design, headphone wearing, music-oriented theme, without loosing that haunting, twisted design, which quite literally yells, banshee.

Beyond that, I have to reiterate this again, that the proportions is my biggest qualm of this model so far. As you said "To me the sleekness of the skin is inherently gone and went for a bulkier physique which is sad."

The plum-shape definitely bothers me as well. Unfortunately I let the best get the best of me, and for months now, have been really expecting it to look much MUCH more like the original artist's vision, as every skin before then, has hit the mark every single time. So it's not to ludicrous on my feelings and expectations, but still unfortunate nonetheless.

I do honestly believe they will continue to work on the proportions and the dress, and will knock it out of the park. But if they, for some ridiculous reason, to keep that plump-like figure in the final product, I'm just not going to bother honestly. A bit unreasonable, I know. Especially since everything as is, is absolutely beautiful so far for what they did, but since it's not something out of their reach they can do within the limitations of the game (Trinity's skin is the best example of this; on what they can really achieve with creativity), but just didn't bother to "just because" and disrespect the artist's intent and vision, then its not something I want to support.

Like I said, that's just worse case scenario, and I have no beliefs that it will ever come down to that, but I'm just painting a picture for you here (heh, another pun), on my perspective on the whole thing, and since I'm a music tech major, that also gets involved with other entertainment mediums via art and animation, radio, television, etc, it's just my ideals which I stand firmly on.

But like I said, it's just hypothetical, and it's definitely not going to happen haha.

Well, that's how I feel more-or-less on the whole thing, so take it as you will (and with a grain of salt), and feel free to reply to anything I mentioned (or nothing about what I said at all lol), as I would love to continue the conversation with anyone! (:

Cheers!~

Oh, also, other than the dress being lumpy in the front instead of smooth, I don't like how the back end of the dress perfectly ends in a tail right in the middle. The original concept art makes it look sort of like a torn dress. They should make the back of the dress look like it's torn as well. You'll notice in the original concept art, there's no alluding to such a tail on the back of the dress, but a bit of torn fabric is shown on the back of the left leg.

The top of the dress looked like it should have been a shoulder capelette or a separate piece, but the model makes it look like it's part of the dress, especially if you look at it from the back. Loki's Knave skin also has this issue with his shoulder cape.

Edited by SicSlaver

I highly agree on the lace on the stockings and the missing wires.

What I don't agree on is what you said about how her dress looked wavy. It has always been skintight the reason it looks otherwise is because of her pose.

Also the little ties going up the side of the dress are missing. The tassles are there but there is no crossweave connecting it to anything.

I also agree with what people ahve said about her waist, it needs to be smaller and more petite to fit with Banshee's build. Otherwise I absolutely love this skina lready. I love the helmet especially, such emotion in the 'eye nodes'.

c54ed09fa61ba98b3b9e08a362f75a6c.png

My main issue is the proportions of the 3d model in relation to the concept. She's noticeably thicker-- which is odd considering that stock Banshee isn't even this thick.

Was really looking forward to this skin, but right now I'm not so hyped anymore. The concept art was gorgeous. Strega's was too, and they did amazing on that. I wonder if they'll be able to touch it up to that quality level by its release.

Edited by HolidayPi3

Seeing 3D model made me upset. I was so intrigued with this skin for one of my most loved frames, and she's just.. FAT and a lot of detail is missing ='[
I hope its a heavy WIP and it will get as good as was intended in the art.

BansheeSkinClean.png

I also agree with what people ahve said about her waist, it needs to be smaller and more petite to fit with Banshee's build. Otherwise I absolutely love this skina lready. I love the helmet especially, such emotion in the 'eye nodes'.

I think for the most part, although it seems hard to tell based on the picture's angle, if the hips are as wide as I think they are, then they'll just need to be reduced slightly and make the waist longer and overall more petite, pretty much like Trinity's skin.

After sleeping on it for a few days now (and playing a ton of Megadimension Neptunia VII, hehe~), I think I'm pretty much still really looking forward to the final product, as like I've mentioned that they blew our expectations out of the water with every skin so far, so I don't have too many doubts they'll disappoint c':

Edited by HalfDarkShadow

The dress doesn't even look like a dress. It looks like a piece of armor. Just look at her belly. On the 3D model it looks as if its made of different pieces of metal. It should just be one whole dress. 

The dress is also inaccurate compared with the concept art. The back of the dress on the 3D model is long in one piece. On the concept art you can see clearly that its also supposed to be torn on the bottom.

Another inaccuracy is that on the concept art she is clearly wearing a bolero of some sort. Its supposed to be apart from the dress. But on the 3D model its merged with the "dress".

Since the moment I saw the concept art I thought if it looked exactly the same in the game I would be in love with it. The current 3D model is far off the concept of the artist. I really really hope this is an early version and she'll receive plenty of fixes to look exactly as the art. If not then I'm gonna be very dissapointed.