Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Players Attacking Empty Space 90% Of The Time With Excal's Eb Are A Painful Sight

-N7-Leonhart

Oh look another "nerf excalibur" thread.

Don't get the wrong idea. I don't want to see him weak at all. I just want to use him properly. Right now, he's just an EB machine, absolutely nothing more. Any attempt to do anything but that, results in purposefully holding back.

They look like 4 year olds that got a wooden sword, just swinging it around.

Its the most painful thing.

But its easily mended, how about every swipe costs extra energy IF you miss the target?

It would mean the players would have to actually aim and make sure they are targeting something.

I would also in general make the swipes slower but increase the power to compensate.

Oh look another "nerf excalibur" thread.

ikr, its almost as if he is OP....

In any case, the DPS isn't the issue, the issue is that people will either macro or click as fast as possible to spam waves as fast as they can, even when not aiming at something. This leads to annoyance of other players on par with Bastille spam, in terms of visual clutter, and even more so via audio. 

I'm all for same damage per swing, but release a swing with like 500% damage at the end of the combo, in addition to the current ragdoll/slash procs we have on them. Make them actually worth going for.

Don't get the wrong idea. I don't want to see him weak at all. I just want to use him properly. Right now, he's just an EB machine, absolutely nothing more. Any attempt to do anything but that, results in purposefully holding back.

Radial Blind is pretty good, essential for higher levels.

Slash Dash is worth using for the mobility alone.

Radial Javelin will kill more enemies than EB in low/mid levels.

Some good points I see here that I failed to mention.

Right now, the spammy gameplay wins it all. How about adding depth to it and more reward with careful use? That would not be a bad change. Like 0.5 energy drained per swing is nothing limiting on itself, but you will be subconsciously be more careful, in order to not waste anything you don't need to.

Radial Blind is pretty good, essential for higher levels.

Slash Dash is worth using for the mobility alone.

Radial Javelin will kill more enemies than EB in low/mid levels.

Yes to Radial Blind, no to the other two. There is never any need to waste extra energy with those, when some more spamming does it way better. Mobility? That is why we have a new parkour system, in order to not need any power/melee weapon band-aids.  Also, how about giving those nice equipped weapons an actual purpose?

Get rid of the energy waves, add combo multipliers, some degree of damage reduction when activating EB, ditch radial javelin and remove LoS from radial blind. Problem solved.

Just what do you expect? Two of Excal's abilities are under LoS, which is notorious for being inaccurate. This "EB spam" is the direct result of a poor rework design. Players refuse to use other abilities other than EB because it's not rewarding, and now you can't properly mod Excalibur because you need strength, duration, range , cast time and efficiency and even energy pool to balance everything and make every single ability worthwhile. It's not the players' fault, DE should be taking the blame, yet you blame the players, who had no choice but to use EB, an ability that gets nerfed for several times since its release, and is still under fire because "It's annoying!" and "It requires no skill to use!". Excalibur is now broken than ever, because two of his abilities are borderline useless, the other one under fire even though it has no innate lifesteal, poor damage reduction and annoys everyone, and the remaining on being sort of decent but requires range to achieve anything. Just stop.

Yep, indeed.

Right now, the spammy gameplay wins it all. How about adding depth to it and more reward with careful use? That would not be a bad change. Like 0.5 energy drained per swing is nothing limiting on itself, but you will be subconsciously be more careful, in order to not waste anything you don't need to.

Now this sounds like something i can work with. As long as it won't drain energy while it's active anymore, i'm not seeing any problem with that right now.

Yes to Radial Blind, no to the other two. There is never any need to waste extra energy with those, when some more spamming does it way better. Mobility? That is why we have a new parkour system, in order to not need any power/melee weapon band-aids.  Also, how about giving those nice equipped weapons an actual purpose?

I find Slash Dash very useful for mobility. I can get around faster than normal parkour, or I can use it after a bullet jump to get to much higher places quickly.

The thing is I don't see how it would improve the experience of playing as Excalibur. That is the problem I have.

"If I can't see the problem, there is no problem."

The only "problem" I see is elitism. Calling for punishment of those people who don't play a Warframe the way you think it should be played.

The change being requested here is not to fix a bug, nor is it to alleviate trolling or harassment by a specific ability. This isn't about players using Switch Teleport when it's not wanted, it's not about having Bounce constantly thrown on you, or having Ripline pull you somewhere you don't want to be. This is basically "I think most less experienced Excalibur players are annoying, therefore nerf him so they can't play him that way."

Well, good luck with that. Maybe with enough upvotes, this will become high priority on DE's radar and will get rushed into one of their next hotfixes. In the meantime, I do hope those of you who are bothered by the behavior of less experienced players can still find some way to suffer through public matches with others having fun swinging around an energy sword for the simple thrill of it.

I hate to fall into the trap of meta complaining but it is my experience as well that every excal I run into ults then goes swish-swish-swish the whole level (with exception of the sad rj excals I run into on draco).  Even on the simple missions like exterminates where I clear whole rooms before they enter, they still persist in their mindless swish-swish-swish, which becomes problematic on corpus ship tilesets with the breakable glass leading to their only contribution to the mission being that they inconvenienced the team with their mindless behavior and showed no remorse or learning curve. Room after room.  Every breakable glass....

But that isn't really Excalibro's fault.  Just bad players being bad. 

I used to wonder where all the Boltor Prime wielding Rhino Primes went. I think I know now...

Edited by KnotOfMetal

I already said that the arguments of the "don't do x thing" are pointless since the very beginning. Also, it's worth noting that I highly dislike imposing teammates the X frame or even Y weapon, as any mission can be done with anything at all.

lul, so just cause 1 or 10 guy do not like something, the DE and the WHOLE warframe player should stop play at spamming the eblade ? okay, it's enough in order to say a good NO to you now. Maybe when another guy will show up with a better way to think and discuss, I may agree, but the priority is the same : minor

Edited by Soketsu

All warframe can be stupids in wrong hands , vauban, loki,nova, valkyr, limbo, mirage, hydroid, zephyr, saryn, ember... if a  guys spam EB , have no sense start nerf campaigns , im hate lot things in some chars but try looby to destroy their is not a solution , your problem, probably s the great fun for other player , why try stop this ? Because you dont approve this kind of gameplay? Just relax , dont play in random missions, dont invite excaliburs for your squad, play with close friends, maybe solo too  and any evil excalibur will disturb your peace

Always with the rabid defence force...

Anyway i agree OP, it needs a balance check, making it drain per attack is a good start.

And before anyone starts, this is what Ivara has in place and i dont see anyone complain about that.

Edited by Misgenesis

Firstly, calm your t*ts everyone. Whenever someone hears about something akin to a "nerf" they immediately think it's a very bad and hateful thing. A change can be a very good thing, if it makes you take positive measures in your gameplay.

Secondly. this is not a nerf, as the damage you do is not decreased. It's just a way to make you use something other than spamming the first combo on Exalted Blade. I mean, as it is now, why wouldn't you use it?

You may think that attacking empty air is cool just because you can, but that is like firing your weapon non-stop during a mission because it has infinite ammo, right? Wrong, that is not good at all, it promotes degenerate gameplay.

Edited by -BM-StormVanguard

You may think that attacking empty air is cool just because you can, but that is like firing your weapon non-stop during a mission because it has infinite ammo, right? Wrong, that is not good at all, it promotes degenerate gameplay.

I call that taking advantage of the situation, if I'm limited by a timer, I'm sure as hell going to do anything/everything I can in that time limit.

Firstly, calm your t*ts everyone. Whenever someone hears about something akin to a "nerf" they immediately think it's a very bad and hateful thing. A change can be a very good thing, if it makes you take positive measures in your gameplay.

Secondly. this is not a nerf, as the damage you do is not decreased. It's just a way to make you use something other than spamming the first combo on Exalted Blade. I mean, as it is now, why wouldn't you use it?

Even if it's changed to energy drain per attack like Ivara, people still spamming thin air xD

well at least that could've helped a bit, helping people to actually hit enemies and please, am I the only one using radiant finish? @@

it's a good mod and it's really useful for the team especially with high dur and range.. alright, that aside. yes we can use some buff like.. faster animation of slash n dash? and yeah changing the mechanism of EB, just like some ppl stated here. could be a start.

well at least that could've helped a bit, helping people to actually hit enemies and please, am I the only one using radiant finish? @@

it's a good mod and it's really useful for the team especially with high dur and range.. alright, that aside. yes we can use some buff like.. faster animation of slash n dash? and yeah changing the mechanism of EB, just like some ppl stated here. could be a start.

Radiant Finish having more purpose is something that I approve of. A change similar to what I proposed would make that mod so much more worth it.