Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tonkor w/ 2 Formas Build?

Adhyan123

Question

I've been stalking the forums ever since...hmmm, early 2013? And I think this is my first post I've ever written in the forums. Wow.

Anyway, enough intro, let's get the meat of the post.

jEsgkAB.jpg

THAT is my build. I have tested it in T1 Survival, up to level 60 ish. Should there be other modifications that I should make here? 

Also some calculations:

Crit Multiplier = Weapon Crit Multiplier × (1 + Mod Crit Multiplier)
Critical Damage = Damage × Crit Multiplier

thus

CM = 2.5 x (1.2)
CM = 3

CD = 5,487 x 3
CD = 16,461

That's just the damage for bodyshots, or one projectile. If I account Split Chamber (R4), then:

Total Pellets = Weapon Pellet Count × (1 + Multishot Modifier)
TP = 1 x (1.75)
1.75. Round that up, I get 2 grenades per shot. So a normal shot would be around 32,922 damage.

Now if I headshot
Critical Headshot Damage = Damage × Critical Multiplier × Headshot Multiplier × Headcrit Multiplier
CHD = 32,922 x 4
131,688 per shot (per shot equals to 2 pellets), assuming that all the grenades hit the head, which of course won't, since I'm a horrible shot. So we divide that by two and we get...65,844 damage per pellet that hits the head.

Which is not bad, I think, for a 2-forma build. Though I want to know what you guys think, see if there could be improvements done on the build.

Edited by Adhyan123
I dun goofd wit da BBcode. Ended up learning HTML for 30 mins.

25 answers to this question

Step 1: More forma

Step 2: Lose that frickin D

Step 3: Max your core mods (serration, split chamber, heavy cal, vital sense)

Step 4: Lose that frickin D

Step 5: There's a fair bit of flexibility about what to do with the last mod slot. Could go fire rate, or hammer shot, or critical delay, or argon scope if you have it.

Step 6: Lose that frickin D

Step 7: ???

Step 8: Profit.

Step 9: LOSE THAT FRICKIN D

Tho most mods there are the ones people use, their not maxed out and i see you put Hellfire and Cryo Rounds. They just add to the weapon's basic explosion damage. In high level missions this can be a very serious issue against heavily armored enemies. I personally dont invest in explosive, i just leave the weapon's basic damage as it is and add on another element like Corrosive or Viral.

I replicated your build with the Warframe Builder and the Damage output isnt sufficient for late game, having around 2829.75 Damage and around 5K DPS. My build with 4 Formas reaches 13733.26 with around 27.5K DPS, not considering bonus damage after killing an Enemy since i used Bladed Rounds which increase Crit damage by 120%. So unless the enemy is Corpus with enhanced shields, its a going to get killed with one shot.

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey94 said:

I DON'T WANT TO LOSE MY D THAT'D BE HORRIBLE

7 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

Tho most mods there are the ones people use, their not maxed out and i see you put Hellfire and Cryo Rounds. They just add to the weapon's basic explosion damage. In high level missions this can be a very serious issue against heavily armored enemies. I personally dont invest in explosive, i just leave the weapon's basic damage as it is and add on another element like Corrosive or Viral.

I replicated your build with the Warframe Builder and the Damage output isnt sufficient for late game, having around 2829.75 Damage and around 5K DPS. My build with 4 Formas reaches 13733.26 with around 27.5K DPS, not considering bonus damage after killing an Enemy since i used Bladed Rounds which increase Crit damage by 120%. So unless the enemy is Corpus with enhanced shields, its a going to get killed with one shot.

Upon replacing Cryo and Hellfire with Infected Clip and Stormbringer, I found out that there's minimal loss in terms of damage (yessss) but as far as I am concerned, a 25% blast resistance (Ferrite armour) doesn't look so bad on the paper. Though I am interested as to how you managed to get 27.5K DPS with only 4 formas. Because that sounds brutal.

24 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

I can not for the love of my life get any enjoyment out of the Tonkor. Not only does it feel crippled unless I'm using reload and projectile speed mods, I still find it incredibly annoying to aim with, and miss half my shots. I can aim dead-on on an enemy 10 meters away, and the shot either goes slightly to his side, or between his feet. If I shoot randomly at a large cluster of enemies, the pellet won't hit any of them.

The only way I could EVER like the Tonkor was with the Jetstream exploit, where using the Jetstream Turbulence augment on Zephyr would make the pellets explode on surface impact. But now that's fixed, so now I never use the damn thing.

could find some use out of the Tonkor... if it had faster reload, faster projectiles and bigger magazine. But to get anything close to that... on a crit-mandatory weapon... I would have to take off ALL the element mods, and at that point I might as well use the Sonicor.

Can't believe this weapon is so popular. Pure damage my @%&!

Sorry for the rant, just had to get that off the chest. I feel better now.

As for your build, it looks good I suppose. After a Forma I would prioritize fusing up that Vital Sense.

I'd recommend playing Demoman on TF2 for a while. Though in my case, slow reload isn't really important since I can just disappear out of sight and reload. Also, in spite of the fact that the projectile speed is low, most Tonkor players will use it whilst in close proximity of the enemies, making projectile speed trivial (unless it moves 1 cm/s).

Just now, Adhyan123 said:

I'd recommend playing Demoman on TF2 for a while. Though in my case, slow reload isn't really important since I can just disappear out of sight and reload. Also, in spite of the fact that the projectile speed is low, most Tonkor players will use it whilst in close proximity of the enemies, making projectile speed trivial (unless it moves 1 cm/s).

I've played plenty of TF2 as a Demoman. However that Grenade Launcher is pretty accurate compared to the Tonkor, and TF2 doesn't really have a lot of accurate weapons compared to Warframe, so the reason not to use the Tonkor is only higher. At least, that's how I see it.

Damage isn't everything, that's my conclusion.

2 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

I've played plenty of TF2 as a Demoman. However that Grenade Launcher is pretty accurate compared to the Tonkor, and TF2 doesn't really have a lot of accurate weapons compared to Warframe, so the reason not to use the Tonkor is only higher. At least, that's how I see it.

Damage isn't everything, that's my conclusion.

Damage isn't everything of course, but...if the trade-off for ludicrous damage is low speed, I'm all for it. The same goes for Soma Prime. High speed, high magazine, high crit chance but at the price of laughable damage.

I don't know, I'm in the process of slapping 6 forma's on my tonkor right now and maxing out the mods I put in it and I have to say that the difference in damage output is pretty noticeable each time I put a new one on it.

For a 2 forma build it looks very good, but it would look a lot better with 6 forma and maxed out mods (imo). 

No need to remove the D

http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Tonkor/t_30_22204320_131-4-5-132-2-5-137-0-10-138-5-5-140-3-5-150-1-10-153-7-3-159-6-5_137-7-150-8-132-8-140-9-131-6-138-6-159-5-153-9/en/2-0-70/

If you want corrosive, swap the hammer into the D and add in Stormbringer and Infected clip. 

Alternatively, swap Hammershot for Bladed Rounds. 

2 minutes ago, (PS4)sb001001 said:

I don't know, I'm in the process of slapping 6 forma's on my tonkor right now and maxing out the mods I put in it and I have to say that the difference in damage output is pretty noticeable each time I put a new one on it.

For a 2 forma build it looks very good, but it would look a lot better with 6 forma and maxed out mods (imo). 

Of course it will, silly, but the lack of motivation to RESET MY TONKOR'S RANK is in the way.

1 minute ago, ArchangelusAlpharius said:

No need to remove the D

http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Tonkor/t_30_22204320_131-4-5-132-2-5-137-0-10-138-5-5-140-3-5-150-1-10-153-7-3-159-6-5_137-7-150-8-132-8-140-9-131-6-138-6-159-5-153-9/en/2-0-70/

If you want corrosive, swap the hammer into the D and add in Stormbringer and Infected clip. 

Alternatively, swap Hammershot for Bladed Rounds. 

I am 1k damage away from achieving perfection. SIGH.

28 minutes ago, Adhyan123 said:

I DON'T WANT TO LOSE MY D THAT'D BE HORRIBLE

Upon replacing Cryo and Hellfire with Infected Clip and Stormbringer, I found out that there's minimal loss in terms of damage (yessss) but as far as I am concerned, a 25% blast resistance (Ferrite armour) doesn't look so bad on the paper. Though I am interested as to how you managed to get 27.5K DPS with only 4 formas. Because that sounds brutal.

You'll realize your mistakes end game. ;D

4 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

However that Grenade Launcher is pretty accurate compared to the Tonkor

You actually get fairly used to it, aiming down the sights helps somewhat-ish, but its mostly a mid to close range weapon, unless you get used to calculating trajectory on the fly.
Lotta Gears and Halo grenade chucking over the years kind of helps.

39 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

IThe only way I could EVER like the Tonkor was with the Jetstream exploit, where using the Jetstream Turbulence augment on Zephyr would make the pellets explode on surface impact. But now that's fixed, so now I never use the damn thing.

could find some use out of the Tonkor... if it had faster reload, faster projectiles and bigger magazine. But to get anything close to that... on a crit-mandatory weapon... I would have to take off ALL the element mods, and at that point I might as well use the Sonicor.

I haven't found anyone else coming to the same conclusion, then again commenters on the wiki are never truthful, but Jetstream honestly seems to weaken it substantially from my experience.
As for the build, yeah most its power comes from being crit base, and its truly horrifying. Effectively a Dread with twice the base damage and a blast radius.

For damage I run, x2 90% elementals, Split Chamber, Serration, Heavy Calibur, Point Strike, and Vital Sense (4 Forma) for the last slot Hammer Shot (Bladed rounds for non-bosses well once that hits on consoles anyways.) Primed Banes (may not be as good as bladed?) but I suppose you could run Primed Fast Hands if you are not used to the reload and don't need the extra damage. (Which on Jetsream yeah you really need as much damage as possible..)

Honestly doesn't stop 1-shotting thing till after like 40mins in a T2 Survival.

1 hour ago, Adhyan123 said:

I have tested it in T1 Survival, up to level 60 ish

37 minutes ago, Adhyan123 said:

a 25% blast resistance (Ferrite armour) doesn't look so bad on the paper.

Damage 2.0 modifiers double-dip: +/- #% to damage, and then +/-% to the armor damage reduction calculation.

e.g. Shoot a Ferrite armor enemy that has 100 armor for 100 blast damage, it'll take an unmodified 75 damage, with damage reduction working off 125 armor. As enemy levels increase, their armor - and therefore their damage reduction/eHP - increase.

Past level 60 these increases get rather crazy, scaling-wise, and you really don't want to give them a Damage 2.0-derived exponential increase.

As to your build - as others have said: Max out Vital Sense. Increase Serration (and eventually Heavy Cal) when you get around to it. That's pretty much it. Maybe a Firestorm or utility mod, if you feel like adding a couple more formas to it.

-----

Tangent:

56 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

I can not for the love of my life get any enjoyment out of the Tonkor. ... I find it incredibly annoying to aim with, and miss half my shots.

Yup.

Edited by Chroia

1 minute ago, ArchangelusAlpharius said:

I don't follow...clarification please. Also note that Tonkor does a damage upon a direct hit, then explodes. 10k +50k. So Loch and Load ye wee lass-*gets dragged away by Volvo...*

If one fears to miss shot in point-blank, then:

1. That is of the idiotic fear
2. Shoot feet for phenomenal escape

By perfection, I mean, just imagine if the damage's is raised by just 1k more. Hmmmm...

37 minutes ago, (PS4)sb001001 said:

6 Formas is way too much for this weapon. My 4 Forma build gets 160K+ Cris easily.

l5Sfbws.png

Edited by BiancaRoughfin

30 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

6 Formas is way too much for this weapon. My 4 Forma build gets 160K+ Cris easily.

l5Sfbws.png

^im not feeling your build.....why the status mods? you can get a damage powerhouse by replacing the dual stats for pure elemental dmg mods....

status effect wont matter with tonkor since they all melt regardless.....also switching out bladed rounds for hammershot would be a better use of mods imo  (unless you really like aiming)

but thats just my own build

and please get rid of the D polarity.....it WILL NOT help you in the long run because you are clearly aiming for damage....and cold damage is not the route to go with a crit weapon focus on maximizing damage and not effects

Edited by sekushiiandee

1 hour ago, Jeffrey94 said:

Step 1: More forma

Step 3: Max your core mods (serration, split chamber, heavy cal, vital sense)

Step 5: There's a fair bit of flexibility about what to do with the last mod slot. Could go fire rate, or hammer shot, or critical delay, or argon scope if you have it.

Step 8: Profit.

1 hour ago, Adhyan123 said:

Of course it will, silly, but the lack of motivation to RESET MY TONKOR'S RANK is in the way.

Haha, I can understand that but it isn't too bad. I just run a couple of dark sector defense missions with it for farming and I get it levelled up to max rank pretty quickly. 

30 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

l5Sfbws.png

Huh, I can't see to clear (mobile phone), are those maxed out mods you're using? I use 2x 90% elemental mods instead of malignant force and high voltage. Bladed rounds isn't availble yet on ps4 I believe so I use either fast hands, firestorm or something else for the last slot (haven't really decided yet). 

Other more experienced players can correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems like a very solid build using only 4 forma's, easily rivaling the standard 6 forma build. 

1 hour ago, sekushiiandee said:

^im not feeling your build.....why the status mods? you can get a damage powerhouse by replacing the dual stats for pure elemental dmg mods....

status effect wont matter with tonkor since they all melt regardless.....also switching out bladed rounds for hammershot would be a better use of mods imo  (unless you really like aiming)

but thats just my own build

you mind sharing with me your build? planning on tonkoring it up soon!

5 hours ago, XONIIIC said:

you mind sharing with me your build? planning on tonkoring it up soon!

http://goo.gl/I3Qem2

^ this is what i personally use.......mainly because the missions are so fast pace and we go to a high enough level that aiming might actually cause more issues or me than other ppl (unless youre invis)

you can use bladed rounds if you aim well and know you wont die.....i aim for maximizing crit damage 

you could also sacrifice damage by getting rid of heavy caliber and replacing it with firestorm for lower lvl missions to clear out faster

I can not for the love of my life get any enjoyment out of the Tonkor. Not only does it feel crippled unless I'm using reload and projectile speed mods, I still find it incredibly annoying to aim with, and miss half my shots. I can aim dead-on on an enemy 10 meters away, and the shot either goes slightly to his side, or between his feet. If I shoot randomly at a large cluster of enemies, the pellet won't hit any of them.

The only way I could EVER like the Tonkor was with the Jetstream exploit, where using the Jetstream Turbulence augment on Zephyr would make the pellets explode on surface impact. But now that's fixed, so now I never use the damn thing.

Sorry for the rant, just had to get that off the chest. I feel better now.

As for your build, it looks good I suppose. After a Forma I would prioritize fusing up that Vital Sense.

Edited by Cyborg-Rox