Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Volt rework, I need it now!

(XBOX)Grihaly

I main volt and I will say this. At first I didn't like the rework because it wasnt as deep as i wanted it (I wanted overload Gone) But now that I've thought about it, I love it, it gives a reason to keep volts augment and his ult creates turrents out of enemies whats more awesome then that? If you love the frame in his current condition because you looked past his faults, you'll love the rework its amazing. I can't wait for it.

2 hours ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

As much as I love Volt, and can find a way to make him optimal in any situation; his 4 is not fine. It's mediocre at best.

Opps typeo, i meant to say his 4 was the only skill that needed rebalancing.  

Edited by fatrat600284

Looked really interesting, significantly improved, and exactly what a rework is supposed to be.  Volt's still Volt, but Overload looks like it's potentially incredibly useful now, and there's synergy, without it appearing to be forced synergy.  As far as the Excalibur comparisons go... just, come on guys.  Excal's the poster boy, and seeing as the Shadow Debt mods don't affect exalted weapons, that seems to me to be an acknowledgement that they might have gone just a teensy bit overboard with him.

Spoiler

And before anyone screams Excal hater at me, I've spent like 6 times as much plat on fashionframe for him as any other character, including Obsidian because <3, and he's my most played frame.  At 11%, but still.

Sidenote:  it also really shows their commitment to adapting and making things better when they talk about changing conditions, and how the rigging doesn't work, and all that.

Edited by (PS4)Cwellann
Keyboard's dying

4 hours ago, Demonfr34k said:

I main volt and I will say this. At first I didn't like the rework because it wasnt as deep as i wanted it (I wanted overload Gone) But now that I've thought about it, I love it, it gives a reason to keep volts augment and his ult creates turrents out of enemies whats more awesome then that? If you love the frame in his current condition because you looked past his faults, you'll love the rework its amazing. I can't wait for it.

It appears enemies killed while being an organic Tesla coil, explode. Entirely. That's amazing.

Making ES mobile would actually make me a whole lot happier with this rework. I just find it odd they have an ability that roots him in a small area while having others that enhance and encourage movement is odd. Throwing in a passive that demands you move for bonus damage makes the decision even more strange to me.

13 hours ago, Sorkheff said:

Fairly disappointed in the lack of UNLIMITED POWAAAAHHHH from his 1.

The rework on Overload seems okay, but way more CC focused than damage focused...which is again kind of boring.

Overall...I am no where near as impressed as I was with the Mag Prime rework. I ran out and bought Mag Prime that day on that news. I already have Volt and this doesn't even convince me to drop a forma onto him.

this overload should be work really well with overload augment, capacitance, because the duration is long which means you will keep your shield restored

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:10 AM, (PS4)ShuhanX said:

The only thing that disappointed me with Volt tweaks was the fact that they didn't give Volt a mobile Electric Shield. As it stands it is still completely counterintuitive to Speed and his general playstyle. Having two powers (when there's only four available) that totally contradict one another is extremely poor design, and it's something people have been asking for, for ages. I'm hoping they intentionally overlooked it because they intend to implement it as an augment mod in the future.

if you main volt and play excavation with volt, you would not want ES to be mobile, ES better to be mobile is just matter of opinion. besides if ES become mobile volt will become less versatile than his current state. everyday I do triton, I can leave excavator for almost 70secs without it being damaged except from shockwave moa stomp but its still really low dmg, not something to worry about. can frost leave excavator for more than 1 minute without it being damaged? no.

if your shield is mobile that means when your body rotate the shield follow, that means when you show your back to enemy they can damage you, but when volt shield being immobile, you don't have to be afraid of enemy behind you, because you can put multiple shield, I don't understand how most people don't understand that, seriously. and what his general playstyle? I ask. if you didn't know, volt shield can even nullify melee damage if you put your shield really close to object you want to protect, as example, if there are butchers or chargers trying to attack you and you put ES and not moving after you summon ES, you wont take damage from any melee attack in front of you, so you just have to rotate your body and put ES again behind you to make you invulnerable from melee and ranged attack (except explosives).

lets say again you want to revive your teammate with nullifiers around you, if you use ES and its mobile your back will get hit. you die. and once you enter nullifier bubble, the shield will be nullified, but if its immobile, shield won't be nullified

and that overload change, it makes enemies around you affected by overload become electric tower, which means when one of enemy pass that enemy affected by overload they will get hit and become hostile toward that enemy affected by overload, which means innate chaos/radiation.

Edited by FitzSimmons

3 hours ago, FitzSimmons said:

if you main volt and play excavation with volt, you would not want ES to be mobile, ES better to be mobile is just matter of opinion. besides if ES become mobile volt will become less versatile than his current state. everyday I do triton, I can leave excavator for almost 70secs without it being damaged except from shockwave moa stomp but its still really low dmg, not something to worry about. can frost leave excavator for more than 1 minute without it being damaged? no.

if your shield is mobile that means when your body rotate the shield follow, that means when you show your back to enemy they can damage you, but when volt shield being immobile, you don't have to be afraid of enemy behind you, because you can put multiple shield, I don't understand how most people don't understand that, seriously. and what his general playstyle? I ask. if you didn't know, volt shield cant even nullify melee damage if you put your shield really close to object you want to protect, as example, if there are butchers or chargers trying to attack you and you put ES and not moving after you summon ES, you wont take damage from any melee attack in front of you, so you just have to rotate your body and put ES again behind you to make you invulnerable from melee and ranged attack (except explosives).

lets say again you want to revive your teammate with nullifiers around you, if you use ES and its mobile your back will get hit. you die.

and that overload change, it makes enemies around you affected by overload become electric tower, which means when one of enemy pass that enemy affected by overload they will get hit and become hostile toward that enemy affected by overload, which means innate chaos/radiation.

I couldn't agree more.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 5:51 AM, FitzSimmons said:

if your shield is mobile that means when your body rotate the shield follow, that means when you show your back to enemy they can damage you, but when volt shield being immobile, you don't have to be afraid of enemy behind you, because you can put multiple shield, I don't understand how most people don't understand that, seriously. and what his general playstyle? I ask. if you didn't know, volt shield can even nullify melee damage if you put your shield really close to object you want to protect, as example, if there are butchers or chargers trying to attack you and you put ES and not moving after you summon ES, you wont take damage from any melee attack in front of you, so you just have to rotate your body and put ES again behind you to make you invulnerable from melee and ranged attack (except explosives).

lets say again you want to revive your teammate with nullifiers around you, if you use ES and its mobile your back will get hit. you die. and once you enter nullifier bubble, the shield will be nullified, but if its immobile, shield won't be nullified

You don't have to main a Warframe to understand it's shortcomings. Also, when did I say anything about making it exclusively mobile? Have you read any of the Rework suggestions for Volt? They almost never suggest that it remain only mobile. People want the option of it having mobile functionality as well as keeping its current mechanics. It's a very simple remedy. Hold the power button down, and Volt makes a smaller mobile shield. Press the button down normally, and it functions virtually no different than it does now. In no way would such a thing limit nor lessen his versatility. In fact, it would enhance it exponentially.

Not only would it allow Volt to be used in the same way players are accustomed to, but it would open up new possibilities for those who enjoy taking advantage of parkour and being very mobile. Imagine casting a mobile ES, while Speed is active, then casting Shock threw the ES, which would electrify it as per the new tweaks. You effectively produce your own Electric Riot Shield. Perhaps giving this ERS the ability to ragdoll enemies that are struck by it, adding more CC to his power set. This would satisfy everyone, as Volt would still be able to use ES in missions such as Excavation/Defense/Mobile Defense, while allowing other mobile players to use ES in missions that require constant movement.

Such changes can only improve Volt in every way. It would seem that you are in fact, the one that is failing to see where others are coming from, as opposed to it being the other way around. Volt is a tactician. Logically he should have multitudes of playstyles, and making this change merely adds to his role as a tactical Warframe. Again, I don't want an ES to purely be mobile and lose it's current functionality. I want it to be an alternative usage for that power (by holding the power button down) while still retaining the ability to be used like it normally is.

Edited by (PS4)ShuhanX

I've said this before elsewhere and many times before over the years. The only thing functionally wrong with Volt was his Ult . Overload was always a finicky beast exactly for the reasons DE Scott pointed out in the Live Stream. It was the only Ult that absolutely relied on Environmental Objects (read specially coded light sources) that had to be manually placed by the Tile designers. With them it was so powerful DE had to nerf it WAY back in beta. Without it, it was worse than most other Warframe non-Ult powers. The attempts to tweak it helped, but not overly much. Then Damage Typing 2.0 rolled around and that was all she wrote, Electrical damage typing being one of the weakest.

Volt is NOT a CASTER (DPS power damage caster) and never been intended as one. Not in the early days of closed beta, and not now. He was the first and foremost UTILITY frame. His tag line of being an alternative to Gun Play has been false from the start, and should be REMOVED from his description. He augments Gun/Melee play, not replaces it with power spam. Always has.

As a Volt Main from closed beta, I am very pleased with the light touch Volt is getting. I want to see it in actual game client to judge it, but the direction is correct.

It went after Volt's main problem, Overload and lack of viability in LATE game. Giving Overload a CC effect means Volt now has a place in end game play, where stopping the AI from shooting is almost as valuable as doing the damage to kill it. Removing the dependence on environmental elements will improve its reliability and make it easer to tweak and balance going forward.

I'm seeing people demand a moving Electric Shield, which a throughly disagree with. And I will break that down at different levels of play. First, at early levels as a starter frame, ES gets new players thinking about cover (something many late game players could use a refresher on), and how to use it. It allows these new players to place cover where they wish and is more advantageous than what exists in the level. In the Mid game it allows Volt to play defensive maps solo or helping a group, by placing static defenses facing the current biggest wave. In Late game, good shield placement can be used to blunt Naplam and Bombard spam. Place shield, then back flip twice (roll/dodge backwards).

ES is Volt's Defense utility power. It can be placed for himself or for a teammate. If you make ES follow Volt that means Volt has to become fairly stationary if he wants to screen a defense target (or downed teammate), boring. The ability to drop the shield and MOVE on gives Volt options. A personal shield would also FAIL against AoE enemy attack and could not be used as a counter play (reduce skill options).

If there were to be a compromise on that, rebuilding ES to use a PRESS AND HOLD system would be viable. Quick press to give Volt a personal directional shield, akin to the Odonata archwing. Press and HOLD to drop the shield in a full static deployment mode. But I for one will not give up a Static ES as a base ability. Frankly this is the kind of change Augments are for.

The argument that Speed and ES don't play well together misses some very critical aspects of his play. First, not all game modes are rush-to-objective-modes. Volt isn't the only frame doesn't get optimal use of every power in a rush. Volt is one of the few frames that is good for both rush and defense. Second, speed is Volt's Melee buff or disengagement tool, very few weapons (shotguns, some of automatics) respond well to volt speed gunplay. You don't nessisarly get good precision for sequential Head/Critspot shots going at Volt Speeds. This is what ES is for, when you plant yourself for a few seconds, to concentrate on high damage Crit spot shots, without reprisal.

Speed is great for rushing melee or repositioning to a new defensive point (to deploy a shield for an ally, and moving on). ES is great for quick defensive post-ups, and covering allies. Utility being the name of Volts game.

Where Volt was missing, the only real place he lacked, was a serious long lasting CC. The changes to Shock to stun up to 5 targets, and castable while reloading was a boon to short term CC while dealing with Eximus bullet sponges. But Shock isn't quite enough to deal with masses of mobs. The new Overload will fix that weakness in Volts very impressive Utility kit, and hopefully give him a place in End Game. It will hopefully give Volt a way to lock down the massed mobs, while he picks off high value targets with either fast melee or precession shooting. 

On 4/1/2016 at 3:00 AM, LegionCynex said:

Going to be honest, it looks like a reskin to me

This is no where near a "Rework", I was expecting Excal level, im quite dispointed

Lol Excal level meaning replacing 1 ability and tweaking the other 2? :p

Technically Volt is on Excal level then, because Overload was changed significantly. 

39 minutes ago, (PS4)ShuhanX said:

You don't have to main a Warframe to understand it's shortcomings. Also, when did I say anything about making it exclusively mobile? Have you read any of the Rework suggestions for Volt? They almost never suggest that it remain only mobile. People want the option of it having mobile functionality as well as keeping its current mechanics. It's a very simple remedy. Hold the power button down, and Volt makes a smaller mobile shield. Press the button down normally, and it functions virtually no different than it does now. In no way would such a thing limit nor lessen his versatility. In fact, it would enhance it exponentially.

Not only would it allow Volt to be used in the same way players are accustomed to, but it would open up new possibilities for those who enjoy taking advantage of parkour and being very mobile. Imagine casting a mobile ES, while Speed is active, then casting Shock threw the ES, which would electrify it as per the new tweaks. You effectively produce your own Electric Riot Shield. Perhaps giving this ERS the ability to ragdoll enemies that are struck by it, adding more CC to his power set. This would satisfy everyone, as Volt would still be able to use ES in missions such as Excavation/Defense/Mobile Defense, while allowing other mobile players to use ES in missions that require constant movement.

Such changes can only improve Volt in every way. It would seem that you are in fact, the one that is failing to see where others are coming from, as opposed to it being the other way around. Volt is a tactician. Logically he should have multitudes of playstyles, and making this change merely adds to his role as a tactical Warframe. Again, I don't want an ES to purely be mobile and lose it's current functionality. I want it to be an alternative usage for that power (by holding the power button down) while still retaining the ability to be used like it normally is.

i agree. volt needs to have options in his toolkit, lots of options, particularly with ES and Shock

Edited by Aquasurge