Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stuff people say sometimes that blows your mind

(PSN)WINDMILEYNO

On 2016-04-14 at 11:16 AM, IceDragonofAmber said:

"It has not been easy for me, it has not been easy for me. I started out in Brooklyn, my father gave me a small loan of a million dollars."

- Our Lord And Saviour

I hear Sweden kicked your Lord and Saviour's behind the other day

On 4/13/2016 at 11:14 AM, Jeffrey94 said:

This couldn't be more wrong.

While religion is based on pure faith, science is based on empirical evidence.

Empirical evidence is what is apparent to our senses, and by extension, the technology we have made to extend said senses.

Faith is a confidence or trust in something that is not based on proof.

Consider the case of an experiment designed by a scientist to detect a new state of matter that he believes to exist. The experiment does exactly that. Then a second scientist, skeptical of the claims of the first, designs a similar experiment, which does not detect the new state of matter. Analysis shows that neither experiment is flawed, and both results can be reliably repeated by other scientists. Thus the evidence produced both for and against the hypothesis are equally valid from an empirical standpoint. Science makes the fundamental assumption that there is an objective reality which can be known and understood. So, then, which scientist is right?

What evidence do we have that our most fundamental assumption about the nature of reality is even true? Our senses tell us that the world around us is real, solid, and separate from us. Empirically speaking, it is objectively real, and we found all scientific understanding on that assumption. Yet, science has also produced a substantial body of empirical evidence that suggests our minds don't actually let us experience the world objectively, and that the world around us isn't really as solid and real as our senses would lead us to believe. Thus we have managed to simultaneously prove and disprove the core assumption of scientific thought.

This is the faith in science. We have no objective proof that there is an objective reality, a universal truth, that we can know and understand. Our empirical evidence both proves and disproves our capability to know. But we believe there is; that the elusive, universal truth of reality has to be out there somewhere, and that someday we'll be able to know and understand it. We take it on faith, in other words.

In response to the religion vs science debate going on here, for lack of a better way to phrase it, the difference between them fundamentally speaking is as follows;

Ask a competent religious man - regardless of faith or creed - a question, he will give you an answer.

Ask a competent scientist - regardless of personal bias - a question, he will reply "we don't know", before buggering off to try and come up with a theory to answer said question.

Either way, you're still going to be standing there scratching your head like a mug, and likely oblivious to the fact that you probably don't even understand your own question to begin with.

As for things that blow my mind? the fact that every time obesity is mentioned on the news, they always bring on some invalid that thinks that sugar causes it, rather than too much food and too little exercise or certain medical conditions. I mean, look at a freaking pig for crying out loud! Babe didn't pile on the pounds because of a dozen bags of Werther's Originals, now did she?

Edited by (PS4)X1155752X

18 minutes ago, (PS4)X1155752X said:

In response to the religion vs science debate going on here, for lack of a better way to phrase it, the difference between them fundamentally speaking is as follows;

Ask a competent religious man - regardless of faith or creed - a question, he will give you an answer.

Ask a competent scientist - regardless of personal bias - a question, he will reply "we don't know", before buggering off to try and come up with a theory to answer said question.

Either way, you're still going to be standing there scratching your head like a mug, and likely oblivious to the fact that you probably don't even understand your own question to begin with.

As for things that blow my mind? the fact that every time obesity is mentioned on the news, they always bring on some invalid that thinks that sugar causes it, rather than too much food and too little exercise. I mean, look at a freaking pig for crying out loud! Babe didn't pile on the pounds because of a dozen bags of Werther's Originals, now did she?

This would be one of the things that blows my mind...

There are medical reasons someone can be overweight, inadequate exercise and poor diet are not the sole reason for obesity.

Don't get me wrong, it is a decent amount, but not the one and only.

16 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

This would be one of the things that blows my mind...

There are medical reasons someone can be overweight, inadequate exercise and poor diet are not the sole reason for obesity.

Don't get me wrong, it is a decent amount, but not the one and only.

Perhaps I worded it poorly, if you were to go by what so-called "experts" on the news say, sugar is the sole cause of obesity, and just one scoop of ice cream can and will turn you in to the Scottish guy from Austin Powers who's name escapes me, even though for the vast majority it simply is just a matter of lifestyle.

That's not to say sugar can't cause obesity, it's just that these so-called "experts" don't seem to understand that anything taken in excessive quantities will lead to you putting on weight, to the people in question, they seem to think that protein, fibre, and even fat itself, don't contribute towards someone's BMI.

As for medical reasons, again, they are yet another thing that the random fool "experts" on the news don't take in to consideration, i'll edit my previous post to note medical conditions.

Also, a less passive aggressive response would be appreciated.

Edited by (PS4)X1155752X

5 minutes ago, (PS4)X1155752X said:

Perhaps I worded it poorly, if you were to go by what so-called "experts" on the news say, sugar is the sole cause of obesity, and just one scoop of ice cream can and will turn you in to the Scottish guy from Austin Powers who's name escapes me, even though for the vast majority it simply is just a matter of lifestyle.

That's not to say sugar can't cause obesity, it's just that these so-called "experts" don't seem to understand that anything taken in excessive quantities will lead to you putting on weight, to the people in question, they seem to think that protein, fibre, and even fat itself, don't contribute towards someone's BMI.

As for medical reasons, again, they are yet another thing that the random fool "experts" on the news don't take in to consideration, i'll edit my previous post to note medical conditions.

Nothing passive aggressive about my post.

Thank you for clarifying your post though, and I agree with the general aim of it.

22 minutes ago, (PS4)X1155752X said:

Science Guyton the rescue here.... I guess... 

The emphasis on sugar by experts isn't because it's the sole cause of obesity, it's because sugar is both a significant energy factor, and easier than other sources to cut out of your diet. Sugar is basically dumped into everything, and it provides a lot of extra, but empty calories, and you'll still be hungry and end up eating more. Sure, it isn't the sugar actually making you fat, but it's the sugar on top of everything else you already take in. For example, remember a Coke gives you about a quarter of the standard recommended calories per day (the standard is kind of low, but that's another thread) but a lot of  people outright do not remember that drinks also have calories. Even things like fruit juice are filled with calories (but healthy anyway) that people simply forget to take into account in their daily routines  because it isn't food. 

Edited by TheBrsrkr

1 hour ago, TheBrsrkr said:

Science Guyton the rescue here.... I guess... 

The emphasis on sugar by experts isn't because it's the sole cause of obesity, it's because sugar is both a significant energy factor, and easier than other sources to cut out of your diet. Sugar is basically dumped into everything, and it provides a lot of extra, but empty calories, and you'll still be hungry and end up eating more. Sure, it isn't the sugar actually making you fat, but it's the sugar on top of everything else you already take in. For example, remember a Coke gives you about a quarter of the standard recommended calories per day (the standard is kind of low, but that's another thread) but a lot of  people outright do not remember that drinks also have calories. Even things like fruit juice are filled with calories (but healthy anyway) that people simply forget to take into account in their daily routines  because it isn't food. 

The problem with your argument is you know what you're talking about and aren't talking out of your rear, unlike the idiots that they bring on the news to talk about it.

Mabie it's just a regional thing, but the "experts" they get on BBC news sound like the dietary equivalent of those parents that went around playing Black Sabbath albums in reverse because reasons.

Looks like i'm being misinterpreted because I didn't make myself clear enough, been doing that a lot lately, note to self: proof-read, then proof-read again, then sleep on it and proof-read it once more for good measure.

A experiment was conducted on children on their concept of quantity. Each child were first shown a single sweet and the scientist ask if they consider that was considered many  sweet.

As they said no, the scientist increased the quantity of sweets by 1. The scientist asked the child the same question again.

This sequence repeated itself until the child said yes. So the scientist, instead of adding another sweet to the pile, ask the child “so 11 sweets is considered many, but 10 is not?”

The scientist then proceeded to stuff his face in sweets as the child cried because it wasnt allowed any sweets.

Edited by 321agemo
btw i tacked on the last bit.

On April 12, 2016 at 1:39 PM, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

Guy at work: What if we as babies have our own special language and can communicate and talk to each other through the womb before being born, through mind waves, and know of each other, but not of the world around us. But we forget everything after being born and think that being born is dying. And then life repeats itself when we get old and die, that we think we are living through life and dying, but we are really being born into another dimension and people around us believe we are just being born.

Me: im just going to put this on the internet now

Very underwhelming....

On 4/13/2016 at 3:03 PM, Noamuth said:

Here's a good one from today;

"I will train and help you learn these duties"

"What went wrong, why didn't you do this correctly?!  Well, I'm going to have to remove you from this position because you don't know what you're doing!"

=.=

Took about 4 hours for this to happen - I work with special people. 

On 4/15/2016 at 1:44 PM, Noamuth said:

"I checked the labor laws, I only have to pay over time if you go over 80 hours in a pay period, not 40 hours a week"

66JKLFc.gif

Whhyyyyy do I work here?

What terrible jobs do you guys have ? D:

Edited by (PS4)WINDMILEYNO

31 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

I work in the legal weed industry.  Gotta love new industries that attract lovers of the product, but lack experience running a business,

I mean, the chocolate industry probably suffered the same problems in it's infancy as well, that illegal chocolate trade must have been hurt pretty bad once they legalized it. :p idk what I'm talking about