Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About the Tonkor's MR Requirement

Tennonat

1 hour ago, Niliam said:

Nice reply. Very convincing.

Think of MR as a way the devs can measure how much of the content you've experienced. This is a game about trying new things after all so that's encouraged. It's not a skill measure. It's a measure of how much you've tried in the game. And you're rewarded for it with higher daily caps etc... 

6 minutes ago, Major_Phantom said:

Think of MR as a way the devs can measure how much of the content you've experienced. This is a game about trying new things after all so that's encouraged. It's not a skill measure. It's a measure of how much you've tried in the game. And you're rewarded for it with higher daily caps etc... 

I hope you're not serious, you know you can get a weapon to rank 30 without a single kill, right?

You can check my profile(Other MR21 players too), most of the weapon is just Mastery fodder, and they are mastery fodder only.

Experiencing mastery fodder does not increase your experience, or a measure of how much you've tried. 

The fact that so many people are using the Tonkor would normally suggest there is something wrong with either the Tonkor or with the damage system in general.

The fact that most of the guns in this game are mastery fodder tells me that the issue lies with the damage system in general.  When DE fixes that, all the low MR players using Tonkors should start using other stuff.

The reason they use the Tonkor is because it's 10x more effective at killing than most other weapons you can get at low MR. Increasing the required MR on it is just a band aid that doesn't fix the real problem.

personally I don't think it's fair when other people can contribute to the game, so all MR requirements should always be "maximum possible rank". I just can't enjoy the game if I have to be reminded that other people can have fun things.

Please tell me how a newbie can achieve OPness with Tonkor when they usually don't have many mods and forma to put on it? Besides, said mods will most likely take time to rank up. Mod acquisition and the knowledge of how to mod a weapon correctly are enough in terms of progression in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, (PS4)Francis_Boudreau said:

Please tell me how a newbie can achieve OPness with Tonkor when they usually don't have many mods and forma to put on it? Besides, said mods will most likely take time to rank up. Mod acquisition and the knowledge of how to mod a weapon correctly are enough in terms of progression in my opinion.

Now this, I agree with. How many noobs are going to have access to Argon Scope, which costs anywhere from 200-300 Platinum? How many noobs are going to have a max rank Serration? Heavy Caliber? 5 Forma? The know how to mod the Tonkor in the first place? 

Yes, the Tonkor is power creep at it's finest, but the builds to get that power creep take a lot of resources unless you like to min max. Even then I understand that the Tonkor is still powerful, but the fact that so many people feel compelled to use it in the first place tells us that the enemy scaling and damage system is broken once you get into higher tier content. I'm not talking about normal missions or even 40 minutes of T4 Survival. I'm talking about endurance runs, Sortie 3s and the like. The enemies become gods that can eat bullets for breakfast and 1 shot you with a spoon.

2 minutes ago, DuskLegendary said:

Now this, I agree with. How many noobs are going to have access to Argon Scope, which costs anywhere from 200-300 Platinum? How many noobs are going to have a max rank Serration? Heavy Caliber? 5 Forma? The know how to mod the Tonkor in the first place? 

Yes, the Tonkor is power creep at it's finest, but the builds to get that power creep take a lot of resources unless you like to min max. Even then I understand that the Tonkor is still powerful, but the fact that so many people feel compelled to use it in the first place tells us that the enemy scaling and damage system is broken once you get into higher tier content. I'm not talking about normal missions or even 40 minutes of T4 Survival. I'm talking about endurance runs, Sortie 3s and the like. The enemies become gods that can eat bullets for breakfast and 1 shot you with a spoon.

How many "noobs" will actualy go after 40mn or even in a sortie ?

Tonkor + common elemental set is enough to rekt all the content that "noob" will do

3 hours ago, Xgomme said:

How many "noobs" will actualy go after 40mn or even in a sortie ?

Tonkor + common elemental set is enough to rekt all the content that "noob" will do

Well sadly, I've seen my fair share of noobs that want to go straight to T4s for 40 whole minutes, and I've seen lots of low MR players tagging along for Sorties. Just yesterday, an MR1 using Valkyr tagged along with his friend that was hosting, managed to survive with us 40 minutes. Obviously, he was too low of a level to have a Tonkor, but I couldn't believe my eyes. I think DE needs to adress other problems first before they go messing with the Tonkor, either with a nerf, or with more MR requirement imo. Just to clarify, I wasn't asking for a nerf, I was stating that I hope they don't go nerfing it or messing with the requirements, it's fine where it's at.

Edited by DuskLegendary

1 hour ago, Niliam said:

I hope you're not serious, you know you can get a weapon to rank 30 without a single kill, right?

You can check my profile(Other MR21 players too), most of the weapon is just Mastery fodder, and they are mastery fodder only.

Experiencing mastery fodder does not increase your experience, or a measure of how much you've tried. 

Did you even read? I NEVER said it gives experience, I said it's a way for the devs to see how much you've tried in the game (how much you've farmed/paid to aquire) and reward you for it. It really has nothing to do with your experience.

Edited by Major_Phantom

1 hour ago, Major_Phantom said:

Think of MR as a way the devs can measure how much of the content you've experienced. . It's a measure of how much you've tried in the game. 

2 minutes ago, Major_Phantom said:

Did you even read? I NEVER said it gives experience, I said it's a way for the devs to see how much you've tried in the game (how much you've farmed/paid to aquire) and reward you for it. It really has nothing to do with your experience.

Sorry, just quoting your own words, hope you read it clearer.

It's a FOTM weapon.

A low MR player who avoids progression in favor of only using that one item does nothing but hurt themselves in the long run.

In order for them to get the most out of it, they will have had to forma it and acquire the necessary mods to squeeze the most damage out of it.

Given the prevalence of the weapon.... Were it still tossing other players around, I would be annoyed.

Because it has no effect on other players now I really don't care about others using it though. It's their business and has no effect on me.

If the mechanics get changed or the item gets nerfed, they are back to square 1 weapon wise.

As such, I am fine with leaving the weapon where it is. I'm not a fan of MR being used as a progression limiter as is because mods perform that function just fine.

I am leveling in my Syndicates.  But I will reach max Syndicate Rank before I rech MR 12.

My next level is 9 I think, I haven't been MR farming at all. 

So by the mastery-logic I have to level and max weapons and frames I do not want to use only to gain Mastery so I can get the Synoid.

Now imagine the MR-limit being applied on all weapons, like suggested here.

Won't this simply mean that

A) New players who stick with the game set up camp in Draco and never leave.

B) New players quickly loose interest in the grindy game that a MR-increase will mean.

Why not instead let everyone try all weapons, but you can not max or forma it unless you have a MR.

Everyone wins.

all end game wepons need to be locked behind high rank.... wen i started game i used normal boltor up to rank 6.....and game will be much more fun for new players if they fight for progress....not just jump on best guns

I think MR requirement is not the concerning factor when we are discussing the Tonkor.

People will still work their way up to the respective MR level, in order to obtain such great weapon, just like syndicate primaries.

But I think there is one thing that Tonkor needs to be changed : Make it inflicting self-damage like any other Launcher weapons.

Tonkor deals top damage amongst all Launcher type, without the self-damaging factor that holds every other Launcher back.

There is literally no effort & skill required to play Tonkor, when comparing to other Launchers. And thats why the hatred is strong with this one.

Locking things behind mastery rank is wrong. Like many ppl above said mastery rank only shows how many garbage weapons you have. It isnt an indicator for how much time a player has spent or how much skills a player has. For example im MR13(just got it yesterday) and i have played for almost 750h(well with some afk time) and if it wasnt the tonkor i probably wasnt going to have more than 100h playtime. One thing you forget is that the tonkor comes with no polarities and to make it good you need at least 5 forma(6 to make it awesome) and these formas are something that new players most likely wont have.

I think mastery rank requirements should be removed entirely. I'm not one of those players that want to have the illusion of progress. What I want is if I see a weapon I like, I want to be able to gather the blueprints and craft it now because I think the weapon may be fun. Tbh if more newbies can get better access to more powerful weapons and skip the sea of garbage I'd be happier. 

37 minutes ago, SpryCrow said:

I think MR requirement is not the concerning factor when we are discussing the Tonkor.

People will still work their way up to the respective MR level, in order to obtain such great weapon, just like syndicate primaries.

But I think there is one thing that Tonkor needs to be changed : Make it inflicting self-damage like any other Launcher weapons.

Tonkor deals top damage amongst all Launcher type, without the self-damaging factor that holds every other Launcher back.

There is literally no effort & skill required to play Tonkor, when comparing to other Launchers. And thats why the hatred is strong with this one.

People don't need a reason to hate on stuff here, just a likely target.

...The reason will invent itself.

The Penta got hated on for it's damage as well.

... and then it's magazine size.

... and then it's self damage rate.

... and then having to rez players that died from it.

Comparatively you don't hear that much about weapons like the Strun, Kraken, Sicarus, Burston, or especially the Hind.

Every single one of those weapons are low MR weapons that are low outliers damage wise and require higher levels of skill to be successful with.

The difference between low and high MR weapons was supposed to be polarities and base dmg thresholds. All of which should be able to be mitigated via forma.

The Tonkor is an example of a weapon that performs as it should (mostly) with a moderate number of polarities and the right mods.

The weapons noted above wouldn't be endgame competitive even if fully polarized.

...But we can see which one gets the complaints.