Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I can't pass rank 3 rank up

lawl281

Question

I have just failed my rank 3 rank up for the third time and can't pass it.  I am using Nova warframe with a maxed Redirection, Steel Fiber Fast deflection and a rank 3 Vitality and the shield guys 1 shot my shields and then 1 more shot my health.  I've not met mobs that kill me so easily even in derelict and tower 2's.  For melee im using dual ether just basic without forma or catalyst.  Any help with how to not get 2 shot or not die so i can actually pass rank 3 would be greatly appreciated.  I used to play on PS4 a couple years ago and the rank 3 wan't this stupid then.

21 answers to this question

2 hours ago, EvilKam said:

This is definitely one test where you need something awesome on you.  Nova is a great choice, if you can M-Prime everything, but you probably don't have Fleeting Expertise and Max Streamline on your frame to make it cost effective, and I always run max Redirection/Vitality on Nova, she's too squishy to survive otherwise.  Heck, one of my load outs has those added to a Max Vigor.   Tank Nova FTW.

Excalibur's Blind is how I completed it back in the day, and that was back when Excalibur sucked.  (Pro Tip:  Excalibur was always awesome.)

Jump attacks are the key, as other posters have stated.  Both the "Air slam" attack and the "jump kick" will work to knock down the shield lancers.  Melee weapons will make this trickier, and I REALLY wish you had an Excalibro to cheese the test.

With Rhino, I recommend shoving maximum Streamline and Flow (since getting Fleeting Ex will be tough), and focus on duration more than power strength.

I tried out the rank 3 test a few days ago because I noticed other people complaining how hard the test was. The problem with the new (?) rank 3 test is you can't use any Warframe powers so he depends completely on his melee weapon to kill things, but he can still use the mods on the frame and weapon installed so he isn't completely naked and weak.

OP, bring Rhino instead of Nova. Even if you cannot use Rhino's Iron Skin and Stomp, he is still a lot less squishy than Nova.  Level him up so you can put Vitality and Redirection in him. If you have Vigor, use that too. If you have Steel Charge aura, use it to give you bonus melee damage. If you have Rush and/or Mobilize, use those too so you can get away from enemies faster when you are overwhelmed. For your melee, use whatever you are most comfortable with, preferably something that is fully ranked and that you have a stance mod for it. Install a maxed Pressure Point.  If you have Fury, Reach, and elemental mods, I would put those in as well.  If it is a crit-based weapon, put in crit chance and crit damage mods.

Practice in Simaris' room on the second floor of any of the Relays.

Good luck! You will be fine. :)

practice in the upper level of any relay until you're sure you can pass the test: this stops the 24 hour waiting period.

exc or rhino is a better choice than nova (nova is cute but squishy).  

dual ether are good blades, but have low damage... galantine is a better choice if you have it.  equip pressure point, reach and fury for increased attack speed... the faster your attack speed, the higher your DPS.

you have to try WF abilities to see if they work.  blind on exc or iron skin on rhino would work in this situation.  

jump over and behind the shield bots, you have to get around behind them... slide attacks could be helpful also. 

Thanks I didn't know there was somewhere I could go practice it.  And i dont normally run vitality on nova i just added it cause I was dying for no reason in the rank and not dying anywhere else i go.  i will have rhino done by next time i can do the test so i will just use him

2 hours ago, El_Chorizo said:

May be a silly question but is Nova at rank 30? The health and shield mods wont be that effective till shes has a larger base pool of both

Those Mods work off unranked stats, ranking her up won't change a thing about their effects.

5 hours ago, (XB1)AtlongsterATL said:

What they said.  But really to to the upper room with the Cephalon in it that asks you to scan stuff (the name totally escapes me) and practice til you get it.   

there's a corridor off to the right as you enter Cephalon Simaris' area that has a number of tubes grouped in 3s.  each tube gives you access to a different MR test.  you can practice all of them including the one you're about to take.  

Cant use powers so warframe powers dont matter.  I dont usally run vitality on nova waste of a slot.  max redirection and fast deflection should be enough to keep you up as long as you dont stand still.

15 hours ago, xiaodenden said:

I tried out the rank 3 test a few days ago because I noticed other people complaining how hard the test was. The problem with the new (?) rank 3 test is you can't use any Warframe powers so he depends completely on his melee weapon to kill things, but he can still use the mods on the frame and weapon installed so he isn't completely naked and weak.

OP, bring Rhino instead of Nova. Even if you cannot use Rhino's Iron Skin and Stomp, he is still a lot less squishy than Nova.  Level him up so you can put Vitality and Redirection in him. If you have Vigor, use that too. If you have Steel Charge aura, use it to give you bonus melee damage. If you have Rush and/or Mobilize, use those too so you can get away from enemies faster when you are overwhelmed. For your melee, use whatever you are most comfortable with, preferably something that is fully ranked and that you have a stance mod for it. Install a maxed Pressure Point.  If you have Fury, Reach, and elemental mods, I would put those in as well.  If it is a crit-based weapon, put in crit chance and crit damage mods.

Practice in Simaris' room on the second floor of any of the Relays.

Good luck! You will be fine. :)

Thanks for all the help.  Didn't realize Warframes took 3 days to build final piece when I posted yesterday so I ended up using ember since no Rhino.  I had rank 29 Ether reaper bought with plat for melee weapon and the thing went super easy.  For any others who stumble here having trouble mods were as follows since couldn't use powers.

Ember: Rank 30

• Energy Siphon: Rank 5
  • Heavy Impact: Rank 0
  • Reflection: Rank 0
  • Rage: Rank 0
  • Redirection: Rank 7
  • Rush: Rank 1
  • Vitality: Rank 5
  • Broken Steel Fiber: Rank 3
  • Broken Fast Deflection: Rank 3

Ether Reaper: Rank 29

• Reaping Spiral: Rank 2
  • Melee Prowess: Rank 0
  • Pressure Point: Rank 5
  • Shocking Touch: Rank 2
  • Heavy Trauma: Rank 0  (would have preferred slash mod)
  • Molten Impact: Rank 2
  • Organ Shatter: Rank 0
  • Fury: Rank 2
  • Reach: Rank 0

Are you blocking? Channeling? Honestly these are pure tests of skill, so it's hard not to just reply "Git gud," but idk anything beyond that. Maybe someone else has better thoughts than I.

Edited by Sitchrea
Grammar

yes nova is rank 30.  maybe i don't know how to "properly melee" in this game but ive never had an issue with getting killed like i do in the rank 3.  Its just silly that my shields get 1 shot by these guys havent experinced that anywhere else in the game. I still don't understand what the channeling does other than drain some energy and hit a little harder. can i use my abilities in the rank missions without having it fail?

5 minutes ago, DeadlyPeanutt said:

practice in the upper level of any relay until you're sure you can pass the test: this stops the 24 hour waiting period.

exc or rhino is a better choice than nova (nova is cute but squishy).  

dual ether are good blades, but have low damage... galantine is a better choice if you have it.  equip pressure point, reach and fury for increased attack speed... the faster your attack speed, the higher your DPS.

you have to try WF abilities to see if they work.  blind on exc or iron skin on rhino would work in this situation.  

jump over and behind the shield bots, you have to get around behind them... slide attacks could be helpful also. 

What they said.  But really to to the upper room with the Cephalon in it that asks you to scan stuff (the name totally escapes me) and practice til you get it.   

This is definitely one test where you need something awesome on you.  Nova is a great choice, if you can M-Prime everything, but you probably don't have Fleeting Expertise and Max Streamline on your frame to make it cost effective, and I always run max Redirection/Vitality on Nova, she's too squishy to survive otherwise.  Heck, one of my load outs has those added to a Max Vigor.   Tank Nova FTW.

Excalibur's Blind is how I completed it back in the day, and that was back when Excalibur sucked.  (Pro Tip:  Excalibur was always awesome.)

Jump attacks are the key, as other posters have stated.  Both the "Air slam" attack and the "jump kick" will work to knock down the shield lancers.  Melee weapons will make this trickier, and I REALLY wish you had an Excalibro to cheese the test.

With Rhino, I recommend shoving maximum Streamline and Flow (since getting Fleeting Ex will be tough), and focus on duration more than power strength.

17 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Those Mods work off unranked stats, ranking her up won't change a thing about their effects.

And?

A combo of a rank 30 frame AND the mods would make a big difference. What i was asking was does he have both or is the frame low level and he is relying on the mods. Which would not be effective in making Nova less squishy on thre own on a low level frame.

Edited by El_Chorizo

Yeah if it lets you use your abilities go for it. Some tests restrict abilities but it literally wont let you use them,rather than failing if you do.

Getting one shot with vitality amd redirection on does not sound right though,iirc the mobs should be lvl 1-5.