The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Karak or Boltor?

ultragen

Question

19 answers to this question

Between those two, I do prefer Karak, mostly because I prefer hitscan over "bolt" travel time
but also for the higher base damage & fire rate, making Karak's only downside the frequent reloads.

If I may, I'd like to suggest an alternative to either: Kohm.
It's a full-auto Shotgun with a huge magazine & ammo reserve
(though you'll probably still want Shotgun Ammo Mutation)
with innate Punch Through that just shreds through enemy groups :D

Just now, ultragen said:

I will eventually build both, but was wondering which should be first as i only have 1k salvage in total. I do prefer the hitscan though... I will also consider a shotgun too, haven't thought about that...

Bro 1st go with boltor because its easier to handle i would say, 60 bullets per clip and karak only 30 so you can spray down your foes. And regarding the 1st shotgun -->> HEK

If you are not going to use it against tougher enemies.

I would suggest getting Boltor if you enjoy pinning enemies onto the walls.

If you don't mind having some challenges,
I would suggest getting a bow like Paris, it can also pin enemies onto the walls, it is rather strong and silent. Good for stealth play such as Spy, Rescue mission.

I would not recommend using your blue potato(Orokin Catalyst) on either weapons as there are better weapons that you would prefer as you progress in the game.
There are Prime version of certain weapons, such as Boltor Prime after you try out and like how Boltor handles, Paris Prime, Braton Prime so on.
Make sure you try out those non-prime version to decide if you like how the weapon handles before getting the prime version.

As for shotgun, Kohm is a pretty decent weapon but require certain resources to craft and ammo mutation. I would suggest trying out MK1-Strun if you haven't yet try it.

Also, my advices to you when trying out weapons are:
- weapon stats are not everything
- do not dismiss a weapon just because it seems pretty weak
- some weapons require certain builds/mods to fully realise the weapon potential
- most importantly, try to have fun with it

Lastly, feel free to ask me for help if you need certain resources for crafting, I would do my best to help you out when I am available.

My first primary after Braton was Karak.  I liked it because it's pretty accurate and hit scan.  This was before shotguns got their buff.  If I have to pick today, it would be Hek or Karak.  Hek definitely can carry you to Pluto and beyond especially if you invest a catalyst, some formas, and its syndicate mod.  I'm not a huge fan of Boltor because it doesn't fit my play style, but it is fun seeing enemies being pinned to the wall with the bolts from your Boltor.  Plus, after you finish leveling Boltor, you can use it as a starting material to build Boltace.  Basically, both Karak and Boltor will serve you well at least through mid-levels, but it seems like Karak might suit you more because you prefer hit scan.

Hit scan vs. projectile. That's the only real decision between these two.

The Karak was a bit after my time, so the Boltor was my first foundry primary. It served well enough, but projectile speed can be a bit frustrating to work around, especially when you're new.

You should do both. They require similar materials (at least from the same places), you'll need the mastery, and the experience of using both should serve well. You'll see many weapons of both types as you progress through the game. Personally, I'd start with the Karak since it's just easier to use well. You should build both, however.

Don't even bother potato or forma.

Level them both then leave them to the trash can.

If you like the feel of the gun as you leveling them up tho, get Boltor prime/Telos Boltor/Zhuge if you like Boltor, Soma prime/Braton prime if you like Karak.

Since you're new, I recommend farming void for argons, nitain alerts then get Zhuge. It's a vastly superior gun with the trade off that it kicks like a horse.

Edited by ClinkzEastwood

Personally i think they're both good, but it comes down to your play style. If you can predict enemy movement and give the neccessary lead to your targets and avoid unneccessary spray, boltor it is.

Otherwise Karak wouldn't be a bad choice either as it doesn't require as much lead aim. As said, it all depends on your liking. 

Only real advantage i would give to Boltor would be the clip size, but then you will probably need rifle ammo mutation or you would run a risk of running out of ammo.

Edited by Serbian2G

14 hours ago, -FIBER- said:

My suggestion would be to build both, get max them, and then see which one you like, than put a catalyst on one.

Its pointless to waste a catalyst on either of these starter weapons.  You'll never touch it again after gaining a few more mastery levels and moving on to better weapons.

Edited by (PS4)Agent_CHAR

"This or that" is generally hard to tell because there's pros and cons to both.

Karak is hitscan with higher damage, faster fire rate, but a magazine of 30. Its damage is also relatively balanced but leans mostly toward physical.

Boltor is almost exclusively puncture with slightly lower damage, fire rate, and has travel time and accuracy issues, but higher magazine of 60, and better status (crit is negligible on both.)

So basically, stats on Karak are better, but it's an impact weapon vs. puncture weapon, and only shields resist puncture whereas impact isn't good on flesh. So at least damage-wise, Boltor will have an advantage of damage type.

I won't tell you which is better because that's up to you to decide. Hopefully pros and cons will help a little.

Karak with catalyst and two forma got me to Pluto, but that was back during u13, when Karak Wraith didn't exist.

Boltor was the more popular weapon, people disliked the realistic magazine size on the Karak, but I disliked the sound effect of Boltor, as well as the projectile travel time, so if you can handle the projectiles, Boltor wins the contest.

Boltor vs Karak Wraith if you can get it?  Karak W. wins hands down.

Also, since you're new, Let me know if you need a clan, and read my guide.  You seem like you already have the basics down, but I'm a megalomaniac for page views.

On 4/24/2016 at 5:37 PM, EvilKam said:

Karak with catalyst and two forma got me to Pluto, but that was back during u13, when Karak Wraith didn't exist.

Boltor was the more popular weapon, people disliked the realistic magazine size on the Karak, but I disliked the sound effect of Boltor, as well as the projectile travel time, so if you can handle the projectiles, Boltor wins the contest.

Boltor vs Karak Wraith if you can get it?  Karak W. wins hands down.

Also, since you're new, Let me know if you need a clan, and read my guide.  You seem like you already have the basics down, but I'm a megalomaniac for page views.

yeah a clan would be cool. my ingame is sparkling_soap. nice guide also.

A Karak with a Catalyst on it, even without Forma, will get you through the star map easily. Just got to mod for the enemy faction. The following set-ups are pretty easy for starting players to get:

Grineer (can also go Viral/Radiation), Corpus, Infested (can also use the Corrosive/Heat setup for Grineer).

Maxing Serration out is a bit of a hassle for a new player but getting it to Level 8 or so shouldn't be too bad. Most people are swimming in Malignant Force from fighting Vor so it's pretty easy to get a hold of (or you can tag along into the Void with someone) and Split Calibre synergises well with the Karak's Status chance. If you've been doing Spy missions and picked up mods like Thermite Rounds or Rime Rounds you can do things like this but those are somewhat harder to get a hold of.

The Boltor is a bit harder to work with due to the D polarity at the top left. The innate V polarity at the bottom right on the Karak is easier to work with and lets you get a higher DPS count out of it.

FWIW, I came back to the game not too long after the Karak was released and had a backlog of weapons to master. I wound up keeping the Karak and dropping five Forma onto it because I enjoyed using it so much. Give it a shot, see what you think.