Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About our role in the universe

Deidaku

Even though i've been playing this game for a while and go throught the second dream ( won't spoil)  it still sin't clear to me what our role in the universe is?

Of course we don't fit in the good guys / bad guys  trope , but the closest thing I could link the warframes with is " Celestial Being".

For those who didn't watch gundam 00 : it's basically an organization trying to stop war by force.  Therefore for the tenno I was thinking "keeping the balance no matter the cost"

Thougts?

Hmm... the "balance no matter the cost" is pretty right. But we still have rules and morals, right? I mean we did never attack civilians before. The only time tenno kind of attacked civilians was when they betrayed the orokin back in the day and we still don't know exactly why. What we do know though is that some orokin were really mean.

I think the 00 reference works to a degee, but my feeling is pre and post second dream. We are in essence mercenaries trying to recover what we lost.  sure we are super-powered but when you look at things there just ain't that many of us.and lore wise recuitment is kind of different

We were created for a purpose which is long gone, however we have not found our true purpose in this world as yet perhaps in the lore will expand to give that purpose,

Celestial Being in my view where to pave the way to the future (I don't know if you've watched the Awakening of the Trailblazer so I'll leave in there) we are just prolonging things and stopping progress. The Lotus is playing a long game methinks I we are just pieces of the grand scheme.

5 minutes ago, JakeTrans said:

I think the 00 reference works to a degee, but my feeling is pre and post second dream. We are in essence mercenaries trying to recover what we lost.  sure we are super-powered but when you look at things there just ain't that many of us.and lore wise recuitment is kind of different

We were created for a purpose which is long gone, however we have not found our true purpose in this world as yet perhaps in the lore will expand to give that purpose,

Celestial Being in my view where to pave the way to the future (I don't know if you've watched the Awakening of the Trailblazer so I'll leave in there) we are just prolonging things and stopping progress. The Lotus is playing a long game methinks I we are just pieces of the grand scheme.

^^^^^

yea we are just one piece on the board full of numerous factions all grasping for power. We mainly look out for ourselves and our own kind, occasionally stepping in to level the playing field between the factions

Yeah, we don't really have purpose, so we're marking time as mercenaries for the Lotus, for our syndicates (of which only Hexis seems to be concerned with us per se, with us fulfilling our potential, whatever that is).  So far, our only "bigger" purpose has been to stop the Grineer from dominating the solar system, to keep the Corpus in check, and to keep the Infested in check.

However, what with the Sentients being a presence again, our old purpose as the anti-Sentient task force par excellence may come to the fore again.

40 minutes ago, Deidaku said:

Even though i've been playing this game for a while and go throught the second dream ( won't spoil)  it still sin't clear to me what our role in the universe is?

Of course we don't fit in the good guys / bad guys  trope , but the closest thing I could link the warframes with is " Celestial Being".

For those who didn't watch gundam 00 : it's basically an organization trying to stop war by force.  Therefore for the tenno I was thinking "keeping the balance no matter the cost"

Thougts?

....Funny that you bring this up.

Spoiler

The Second Dream threw me for a loop in that it broke the narrative I had envisioned as well leaving me with a narrative I can't see how we (Tenno) fit.

- Why aren't all frames androgynous ( I get the subconscious vision of self argument, but kids tend to see themselves as kids not adults)

- Why would the Orokin allow the construction at all and without failsafes?

- What path is "good" ?

- Which path is "evil" ?

- Sentients appear to be returning. How?  What do they want?

- Knowing what we are, why haven't we discussed between ourselves and debated next steps

As I have nothing but questions now.

47 minutes ago, Megakruemel said:

Hmm... the "balance no matter the cost" is pretty right. But we still have rules and morals, right? I mean we did never attack civilians before. The only time tenno kind of attacked civilians was when they betrayed the orokin back in the day and we still don't know exactly why. What we do know though is that some orokin were really mean.

We should get a mission that starts out in an area full of harmless grinneer and see what kind of morals we hold.

Just now, Madway7 said:

We should get a mission that starts out in an area full of harmless grinneer and see what kind of morals we hold.

inb4 "Lets shoot everyone and see what happens"

On a different note: Remember the reaction to the first relay destruction? People LOVED it.

2 minutes ago, Megakruemel said:

inb4 "Lets shoot everyone and see what happens"

On a different note: Remember the reaction to the first relay destruction? People LOVED it.

Which relay was that?

(All harmless grinneer drop a "Last testament" mod, which is just their last will and testament)

Edited by Madway7

2 minutes ago, Madway7 said:

Which relay was that?

The strata relay. Quiet Shy made a hilarious video about it where she cut a successful NASA launch-clip behind the explosion (you know tht clip inside of NASA headquarters where everyone is cheering and stuff because the rocket made it into space).

Sadly her account got taken down because ...no one knows actually.

Edited by Megakruemel

According to the lore, we keep balance.

According to what we actually do, we kill for goodies. Yes, the Corpus are jealous of us.

1 hour ago, Megakruemel said:

The strata relay. Quiet Shy made a hilarious video about it where she cut a successful NASA launch-clip behind the explosion (you know tht clip inside of NASA headquarters where everyone is cheering and stuff because the rocket made it into space).

Sadly her account got taken down because ...no one knows actually.

Don't worry, she lives on.

Edited by Senpai-Pie
Commas.

In some ways, I always thought with how the Tenno and the Lotus operate via staying (more-or-less) as neutral as possible between conflicting factions, not to give full allegiance to one over the other; similarly to how Ravens go about with their operations in the game Armored Core Nexus: Revolution (for those familiar with the title haha. #armoredcoreshoutout #woopwoop).

Basically it's the entire world at war, and to keep it as simple as possible:
Your work under something called the Ark [i.e. think of the Lotus], which is a neutral "mediation" organization responsible for setting up contracts between Ravens [i.e. Tenno] and the Corporations [Corpus/Grineer/etc]. The Ark has only one primary stipulation though which is no Raven can directly accept a contract from a client without going through the Ark first.

So to finish up what this translates to in Warframe's terms, is similarly how in most cases we only accept missions based on [what I conjecture] what the Lotus or Ordis[?] provides you. With the obvious exceptions such as the Nata quest where you directly take Teshin's request to reveal the truth to what she is hiding and why she seemingly abandoned/cut communications with you on Earth. Which similar "direct-contract" scenarios happen in Armored Core as well.

Not exact parallels, but just some similarities that reminded me of that good ol' 2004, PlayStation 2 title lol. But still, as far as specifics of "our role", I'm guessing still hasn't been revealed as of yet to some extent, as prior to Stolen Dreams, Natah, and the following The Second Dream quests, we've just been a bunch of mercenary ninja's derping in space with the occasional dilemma happening at the time hahah.

And mad props to that one lone Tenno out there who's played the game(s) c;

Edited by HalfDarkShadow

4 hours ago, ShaneKahnnigan17 said:

Space ninja mercenaries. Sargas Ruk is right all along.

Well we can't be sure how much of our gameplay represents the story, that's something to consider.

Players are doing missions for loot, money and XP. But in story the Tenno might actualy get everything handed to them by the Lotus and her unexplained system of logistics. When the Lotus talks about us keeping the balance in the Solar system, she might actualy speak the truth regardless of the behaviour of players.

As for comparing the Tenno and Celestial Being. While they are both similar from a military perspective, they are actualy quite different both in terms of goal and purpose.

Celestial Being were created for a major long term goal, which they steadily worked towards. They were also not "keeping the balance" they were actualy doing the opposite, they disturbed the balance of power to the point were the three major factions had to unite into a single faction.

The Tenno meanwhile were created for a short term goal and then repurposed themself and their new goal involves preventing a singular major faction from happening.

4 hours ago, Madway7 said:

We do that everytime we step into steel meridians room or talk to Clem. We have also protected clones who no longer want to be apart of the grineer.

5 hours ago, Megakruemel said:

Actually I think they only killed the rulers. Theres a synthesis of a warframe coming to saving people which took place after The Tenno had betrayed the orokin leaders.

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

8 hours ago, (PS4)Lowk721 said:

We do that everytime we step into steel meridians room or talk to Clem. We have also protected clones who no longer want to be apart of the grineer.

I mean starting off around enemies that are unarmed and won't attack.

Enemies that see us as the monsters in this war forcing our morals unto them.

14 hours ago, JakeTrans said:

I agree. That sounds about right. However, I'm not sure, the "end-goal" is clearly defined. For now it might be "keep the balance", but if I understand it correct, the Tenno were in cryosleep for quite some time and awoke rather recently. So basically, neither the Tenno, nor Lotus (nor DE ;) ) need to have a specific final purpose in mind at the moment. The Tenno have to re-establish themselves, after they lost their original purposes (first fighting the Sentient, then the Orokin). For that you need resources, so it makes sense to work  as mercs in the mean time.

Maybe fighting the returning Sentients is supposed to be the purpose of the Tenno. Maybe a chosen faction will be at some point be every individual Tennos main purpose. For now it seems it's: rebuilding and keeping everything as stable as possible.