The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kubrows vs Sentinels - Cute vs Useful

TheBright888

I have a seven star Huras and she is both a mini tank and a spy master's best friend. When coupled with a Inaros, you start talking unstoppable. I still love my carrier and I love my Huras, everything else is mediocre when it comes to companions. I am looking forward to the Cats and to see which one rises above its poo poo alternatives. 

29 minutes ago, Rex13568 said:

All im seeing are people complaining about kubros or defending them but what I want to see is people proposeing ideas about how they need to be fixed 

Ps Dirga master race my dirga can do 1000s of damage with a single hit with 100% status (blast plus corrosive)

Pps I hate tiny phone screens

1.996,2 damage with Maxed Bite and Maul

5,1x Crit Damage and 43% Crit Chance

At least they are not lacking in the damage departament.

But I have to agree: too much effort to max all their mods and the return is not something that feels very rewarding with their current AI. Still, Huntress (Huras) and Liassa (Raksa) have VERY useful abilities to help me survive.

I use sentinals because as someone who doesnt log on very religiously,  the upkeep can be a money sink.

Even if they do more damage I also find them as an inconvenience sometimes. When they do (regardless of your build IF they die) you will want to revive them or suffer the consequences, its like reviving an ally but if a kub does it doesnt come back so you have no room to pick and choose if you want to save your kubrow, least you run the mission without it. Id rather use a sentinal so if it does die in higher levels, its not a burden on me.

Also the AI can make you butt clench really hard. My friend relied on their chesa too much for energy and well, it ended up failing on them and they fell behind in the mission 

Carrier might be for casuals or whatever but it doesn't rely on AI,which can hinder kuvrows alot sometimes.when you use a carrier you get relatively consistent results while kubrowscan vary from mission to mission/player to player.

Something I dislike sometimes.

That's actually a good point, Kubrows are EXTREMELY expensive. They require a lot of time, cores and dedication, much more so than a Sentinel. And unlike a sentinel, they do not provide you with Modable element damage or any of the bells and whistles (Medi-ray, Guardian, Coolant Leak, etc...)

The AI of the kubrow draws as much aggro from me as it does the enemies at this point.

The last time I used my Chesa, I specifically kept an eye on it to see how often it gathered ammo and drops. It started out infrequently gathering, then outright stopped once the spawns picked up the pace. The kubrow doesn't even do the one thing I spent weeks trying to breed it for when I need it to.

30 minutes ago, (PS4)Cynicaid said:

The AI of the kubrow draws as much aggro from me as it does the enemies at this point.

The last time I used my Chesa, I specifically kept an eye on it to see how often it gathered ammo and drops. It started out infrequently gathering, then outright stopped once the spawns picked up the pace. The kubrow doesn't even do the one thing I spent weeks trying to breed it for when I need it to.

The funny part... My kubrow can and does live well past 40 minutes and still is actively killing things (provided AI doesn't see a shiny object elsewhere)  Another neat tidbit is the synergy with Inaros.  My kubrow ends up with around 6-7k health.  No sentinel can reach that. 

As far as gathering... do you have your scavange mod (whatever it is called, don't have the kubrow, or know the name of the mod) in the first slot?  Kubrows seem to follow the same "Priority system.   Priority starts at top left then the next slot to the right, ect and then the second row farthest left to right.

30 minutes ago, achromos said:

The funny part... My kubrow can and does live well past 40 minutes and still is actively killing things (provided AI doesn't see a shiny object elsewhere)  Another neat tidbit is the synergy with Inaros.  My kubrow ends up with around 6-7k health.  No sentinel can reach that. 

As far as gathering... do you have your scavange mod (whatever it is called, don't have the kubrow, or know the name of the mod) in the first slot?  Kubrows seem to follow the same "Priority system.   Priority starts at top left then the next slot to the right, ect and then the second row farthest left to right.

Yeah, it was in the first slot.. Even went without Neutralize to make sure and it still went braindead about 15 minutes in. It ran around and attacked normally, but wouldn't actually loot anything. Not even clearing the entire area for a bit changed anything. It just stood next to me until I lost patience and started collecting loot manually.

Threw it back into the freezer and pulled out Carrier after a few runs.

20 hours ago, Misanthroplonker said:

"There are people out there who want to rock with (...) Carrier, and you know, it's fine, they can be casual."

-Glen

Glen was also the guy who decided rewards and reward rates for most endless missions are fine and that excavation needed a nerf.

Just sayin'

@TheBright888 well first off, 5 forma isn't enough for an optimal build on a kubrow - you'll need either 6 or 7, depending on if you want one of the rank 5 mods for looting lockers or rank 10 for your choice of utility.  

You also need to take into account that a kubrow, when correctly built, can and will outlast the entire squad in any endurance mission, giving it more durability than sentinels.  Add on top of that 2k finisher damage plus the insane crit multipliers, and you have a nasty dps kubrow with arguably more utility than your standard sentinel.  Bring out a huras, a sunika, or raksa kubrow, and the cc is stupid (in a good way).  DE also heavily improved the AI pathing of kubrows, so tenno out of tenno for that.

I tried letting my kubrow do all the damage for me in a squad for 15 minutes in a t2 survival, and, after extraction, it got 33% of all dps dealt in the squad.  It really depends on whether you like dogs or floating things right above your head.  something to consider... not sure if it's been brought up yet (not really having time to read through all the pages here)

7 hours ago, Blood_Poppy said:

Kubrow Hating Post Again..?

All My Six Forma Kubrows from each Species Disagree with you...

Not hating at all as stated in the OP.

Kubrows are incredibly weak right now with sentinels getting a healing mod, having vacuum, better CC and so on. Read the OP before posting pls.

To say they're "incredibly weak" is an absurd exaggeration.  They have strengths and weaknesses, just as sentinels do.  The only real "strength" that sentinels have over kubrows is the one "strength" that Carrier has, all the rest are pretty much comparable to Kubrows, because apart from Carrier, they all, sentinels and kubrows alike, lack the ability to hoover up loot. 

That's really the only solid reason to prefer a sentinel, and only one sentinel in particular, over all the other available companions.  The rest is swings and roundabouts.

9 hours ago, Blood_Poppy said:

Kubrow Hating Post Again..?

All My Six Forma Kubrows from each Species Disagree with you...

this is not a Kurbrow hating post though i do think Kubrow needs a buff to compete with sentinals

Suggestion: Kubrows should come with more formaed up slots and they should have mods like Fetch (which is basically carriers vacuum) and howl which debuffs/ draws creeps towards the kubrow) and you should be able to equip all the mods on the kubrow unlike a sentinel.

NOW why all the mods wouldn't that make Kubrow OP?

Actually no, I still think you would have to have 7/8 formaed slots to use all these mods on a kubrow + a Kubrow can die if you fail to take care of it. I would think these things would be worth making the Kubrow a little more OPed than a Sentinel.

Also i want to note this as part of the suggestion: if the Kubrow dies like dies dies you lose all the mods equipped on the kubrow :)

It would be Sentinel easy up keep VS Kubrow expensive upkeep

you use a when you have to be gone for a extended period of time VS using the Kubrow when you dive back into the game.

Sorry if I am using you as a example Blood_poppy but I don't like nerfs. It causes people to stop playing there favorite frames. WHAT i like is when they buff something to match up with its competitor 

Edited by Kalel_087

My kubrow is my first choice for anything on the start map; I love my Ephraim. 

But if I'm doing the sortie, raids, or events then Ephraim goes in the kennel. 

The suspect AI combined with their inability to do sufficient damage against level 100+ enemies make them a poor choice for high level content. 

10 hours ago, ZaiTheFish said:

Now watch as Kubrows get shafted and Kavats have better mods and survivability.  I'd still use a Kubrow though, cats are jerks.

i wouldnt call kavats cats atm. they look more like feline repiles. Wich i prefer. i do hope the actual player kavats will have a skin for the wild kavats, if they dont look the same nice..

but to the topic, i prefer kubrows, way,more usefull in the damage compartmend, they even can dig health or energy or pin down targets.

sadly atm i prefer my helios for the med ray. can heal in combat. Kubrow cant do that.

I am just remembering all those times my seven forma Huras charged ahead of me and ripped a nullifier in half or drew the aggro of a bombard so I could safely line it up for a headshot. Sure I will have to melee a little from time to time to heal him butI life stike to heal myself at the same time.If I am playing valkyr or Inaros the melee healing mod makes the kuro almost invincible.

A fully worked Kurow is better for everything but stealth runs and some sorties where meleeing is too ineffective..

I just.... Do all people who claim that maxing kubrow is expensive run with un-taterd carrier with utility mods only? Sure, maxing those r10 mods requires some dedication, but credits and cores come easier than complete spare sets of mods to slap on sentinel weapons, if you don't want any issues. (unless ofc you use only Ssimulor/tonkor and sweeper for sentinel weapon. And just take ash/excalibro/valkyr for any weapon restricted sortire)

And carrier has only two real uses: the "I don't wanna play game" quattro frommagi bladestorm ash cheezefeast, and farming resources.
And selling carrier prime sets for some healthy plat.

Edited by 5HV3N

4 hours ago, Omnimorph said:

To say they're "incredibly weak" is an absurd exaggeration.  They have strengths and weaknesses, just as sentinels do.  The only real "strength" that sentinels have over kubrows is the one "strength" that Carrier has, all the rest are pretty much comparable to Kubrows, because apart from Carrier, they all, sentinels and kubrows alike, lack the ability to hoover up loot. 

That's really the only solid reason to prefer a sentinel, and only one sentinel in particular, over all the other available companions.  The rest is swings and roundabouts.

Its not.

Sentinels were objectively a lot better than Kubrows before they healed you (admittedly in that sentence carrier= sentinels), now its not even a question.

Now you have to play a warframe that never needs health, energy or life support or time in order for kubrows to arguably be half as good.

Even with all that sentinels still have incredibly good CC with status chance and radiation or blast.

With other words now sentinels are so much better, that I cannot even play my Kubrow, even though I still played it when it was bad enough before Medi-Ray came out. Now I'm just shooting myself literally in the foot by not taking a sentinel.

Having 1 free arcane grace on every frame is simply something that is too powerful to ignore in any serious mission.

30 minutes ago, TheBright888 said:

Its not.

Sentinels were subjectively a lot better than Kubrows before they healed you (admittedly I fail to recognize existence of any other sentinel than carrier), now its not even a question.

Now all I wish for is to play a warframe that never needs health, energy or life support or time. As for kubrows in my dishonest opinion will never be any good.

Even with all that CARRIER still can have decent CC with status chance and radiation or blast.

With other words now CARRIER are so much better, that I never even tried to play my Kubrow, even though I  still leveled it for mastery when it was bad enough before Medi-Ray came out. Now I'm just shooting myself figuratively in the foot by not taking a sentinel. Which I don't, because I only take CARRIER off to rank mr fodder companion.

Having 1 free arcane grace on every frame is simply something that is too powerful to ignore in any serious mission. Unlike CARRIER that get's instantly blown up in any kind of serious situation, but hey. Medi-ray is easier to obtain and/or cheaper than arcane set.

You made a lot of typoos. Here, I fixed it for you.
I honestly don't know If what you're doing is advanced trolling or you're really that hardheaded.

You are welcome to run with carrier only. You're free to think that it's so much better than kubrows that they can as well not exist. But please, keep yourself from spewing disinformation in forums. Some newb can actually take it seriousily and become yet another victim of carrier masterrace cult.

Edited by 5HV3N

The big advantage of a sentinel is that it is ALWAYS centered on you and on your person.

A Kubrow roams about and is not always nearby.  If Kubrow had a "heel" command, that might make them a lot more like sentinels.

A roaming Kubrow is handy sometimes, but most of the time its better to have a sentinel centered on you to help you directly when you are up close and personal with the enemy.

Until something is done about this difference between staying put over your head and roaming, a Kubrow will never be as good as a sentinel. 

I resent being called "lazy" for using Carrier lol.  Imo opinion using Carrier is just more efficient.

I really do hope they make Vacuum usable for all companions at some point.  I'm sure we'd see a big increase in other sentinel and kubrow usage.