Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Status vs Damage! Which is more important?

Jorugi

Question

So, which is more important when it comes down to it? e.g. If I had to choose, which would be better, Molten Impact or Volcanic Edge?

So you don't have to look up what each of those do:
Molten Impact: +90% Heat Damage

Volcanic Edge: +60% Heat Damage +60% Status Chance

EDIT:

I'm not asking for those specific examples. I'm asking in general. Also if for a certain type of damage the status is more important while for other type of damage the damage quantity is better.

Edited by Jorugi
Additional information

16 answers to this question

Depends on your build and the elemental combinations involved.

In general use, both. You still need damage to kill the enemy you debuffed and/or stunned with status procs, right?

However you might want to make a weapon just for crowd control for say, a team strategy. In that case you should focus just on status because its not your job to kill them, for example a Vauban just tasked with CC. He would want to build his weapon for CC as well, so he takes a Torid and mods it for blast so it keeps knocking enemies down. Un these cases you build for status.

In other situations you might want to focus on damage, like if you are in a survival mission solo. You want to build at least one weapon that is mainly focused on taking enemies down as fast as possible.

In some cases however it is worth building for both status and damage, like say the Dread. Why? Well because it crits a lot, and so already does high damage, but also applies slash procs. These will scale with critical bonuses so you have the potential of doing high DoT. You can essentially ensure kills even innto high level content because once you get that proc they are signed for death.

What do I recommend? If you can keep it, keep some status if you can because though some people will tell you it sucks it can matter quite a lot against tough enemies. Sometimes keeping them confused or stunned for one second, or stripping their armor to kill them a second faster can men the difference between life and death.

14 minutes ago, Jorugi said:

I'm not asking for those specific examples. I'm asking in general.

There is no "in general".  Some weapons have enough status chance to be worth building on, others don't.  Some enemies are more vulnerable to some damage types, some status procs are more useful in some situations than others. Some status procs stack usefully, some don't.

First, base it on the more dominant stat. For example, build soma for crit while you build glaxion for status.

Second, IMO, always go crit for melee (if applicable) due to blood rush + body count + shadow step.

That's about it.

IMO, damage takes precedence because of the unpredictable nature of Status procs. For example, if you have a weapon that does IPS as well as Corrosive and Cold, there is no way to give priority to which of those damage types will proc more often than the others really.

The only way to control a proc is with pure elemental weapons, because if you mod for only ONE damage type that will be the only one that CAN proc anyway. Even then, you will probably sacrifice a lot of damage (no using +120% of the IPS mods). Sill, it can come in handy, and it's why I crafted Dual Ichor to be a crit/status/corrosive armor-removing weapon.

Spoiler

Dual-Ichor.png

Edited by DaftMeat
speeling erurs

5 minutes ago, DaftMeat said:

there is no way to give priority to which of those damage types will proc more often than the others really.

The chance to trigger any given status proc is proportionate to how much of that damage type you have on the weapon, with physical damage types being weighted x3 times higher than their raw damage.  If you want more of one status proc than another, then weight the weapon toward that damage type.

Just now, Momaw said:

The chance to trigger any given status proc is proportionate to how much of that damage type you have on the weapon, with physical damage types being weighted x3 times higher than their raw damage.  If you want more of one status proc than another, then weight the weapon toward that damage type.

But therein lies the problem: if you want your Daikyu to proc Gas/Toxic effects for your Saryn build, it will be in direct competition with it's high base Puncture damage leading towards Puncture procs. You can gear your build Gas/Toxic, but Puncture effects will still interfere and sneak in there from time to time.

Again, I feel the best way to control certain status effects are by looking to weapons that ONLY provide that one effect.

6 minutes ago, DaftMeat said:

But therein lies the problem: if you want your Daikyu to proc Gas/Toxic effects for your Saryn build, it will be in direct competition with it's high base Puncture damage leading towards Puncture procs. You can gear your build Gas/Toxic, but Puncture effects will still interfere and sneak in there from time to time.

Again, I feel the best way to control certain status effects are by looking to weapons that ONLY provide that one effect.

And this leads back into "there are no general answers" which is my basic point here. You have a very specific build in mind. Daikyu not well suited to gas status build.  Agreed. But this is largely because the performance of gas status is dependent on the base damage of the attack which triggers it, which means elemental-gas weapons are best for gas status builds. But then you look at some other application where you want electric or blast or viral or corrosion or radiation, and the weapon's base damage type is often less important than rate of fire.

Trying to frame the question "Is damage or status better?" is like asking "What kind of combustion-powered vehicle is best?".   It depends. Trying to get a quick and simple answer to an problem that has 30 different variables leads to bad answers.

In total oposition with wut i said above...

i ll sugest you to build mutalist cernos... that the best weapon so far to make proc usefull lol

it(s actually my main and it offer a lot of diferent gameplay and build , perfect to understand how Proc work , and even ending up finding them usefull

For corrosive , ill say better have a fast shooting proc (mutalist cloud make it for the fast shooting)

For viral ill say use a low statut weapon , since its better to reaply viral after the first viral proc goes off> if you reaply viral during a viral proc the effect is the same , if you reaply after a viral proc the health will be calculated from the remaining healtth after the first proc.

Radiation-fire-viral-Puncture are good for low frequency proc

(since they dont stacks and have a duration effect that can be risen with a special mod)

Blast electricity corrosive bleed poison are better with high frequency proc (no duration involved for the first three)

Corrosive proc dont need a great base damage since it allways lower the armor at the same rate so only frequency count

Gaz and electricity are good with high critical weapon give AOE to your critical damage.

Blast can deal great damage to single target using critical (cause auto headshoot) but the the other affected target will only sufer the knockdown proc and no damage.. so its good for CC and single target damage

Gaz-Poison and bleed can be used on universal bluids since they bypass Shield and armor and they also benefit from proc durations duration mods

Edited by Tsoe

This is my opinion on how i build weapons

For my builds i always go with serration(damage) and later add splitchamber (multishot) after that i forma if the weapons is worth and experiment to benefit the weapon stats, with these i start building towards status and firerate

you can build 3 configurations 

one being a grineer build(radiation/vital), the second for corpus (magnetic/poison) and the 3rd depends and usually  for infected(gas or corrosive) enemies.

i usually go for blast on weapons already having it as natural stat and see how it scales with it for example being the angstrum

I've never found procs to be worth it. Maybe cc ones (electric, blast, radiation to some extend) and viral but frames do cc much better and more reliably. Using corrosive for armor reduction is simply bad. it's better to have full cp squad.

Slash and toxin have some usefulness though. Still, never found it to be that good. You'd have to mod for high status % and possibly use less elementals so these two proc more often and lose dmg/shot as a result. Not sure if in the end it would be worth it.

I only mod sentinel weapons for status because of their low dmg