Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frames for New Husband/Wife Duo Team

DaBruuzer

Question

Greetings all!

Disclaimer: I am VERY new to WF, so please forgive any ignorant questions from me - I really did try to read a lot of the forums and watched many YouTube vids as well, before asking.  I am also in my mid-40's and still try to be an active PC gamer, as is my wife.  So we don't pretend to have the same reflexes that we did 'back in the day', nor the ability to be as social (like voice chat, etc.) as we were back in our MMO days in the 2000's.

I am very pleased to have found Warframe (wish I had discovered it a while ago).  We both have very busy work schedules, and now find gaming time to be at a premium; we're lucky to get in an hour a night, and a few on the weekends.  Warframe seems almost made for us, being able to jump in for a quick mission or two, etc.  We live only 2 hours from London, ON, so we're even heading to Tennocon in July!

Anyway, to my question:

My wife and I, being new to the game, are proceeding cautiously, not power-leveling, etc.  Reading/watching guides, and trying to take a LOT of the info in.  The only Plat we have spent is on a Reactor each, thus far.  My wife has more difficulty than I performing the quick movements that the game rewards, but she is coming along slowly.  We're both using Excalibur for the moment, and it's been fun!  But we're both wondering what to aim for next.  IS there any logical progression for 'Frames?  Or is it really just, "aim for what looks cool to you"?  I like a mix of ranged and melee, wife loves melee, but tends to get overwhelmed and die a lot.

In any case, we're happy to have discovered the game, and so far the community has been great, providing a wealth of knowledge and information.  We'll most likely look for a clan to join soon, but for now we're enjoying duo-ing (if that's a word!).  Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Dab

Edited by DaBruuzer

In terms of safe, "we aren't as fast with the twitch shooters," frames I agree with Frost (you) and Inaros (your wife). Folks have already stated the reasons but both are fairly stable frames.

Frost has remained the quintessential Defender frame through several reworks and its in a good place balance wise. I actually run a "Caster Frost" built around a balanced of high-ish power damage and cost efficiency (lower power cost). This means that both Ice Wave and Avalanche do appreciable damage. Especially Avalanche being able to strip enemy armor (damage reduction) very quickly. His secondary advantage is the use of Snow Globe to "save" downed allies, diving in and casting it on top of them. This both provides you with a strong defense while you revive them, it also pushes back any tight cluster (especially Infested) and give the squad a moment to collect themselves.

Inaros is one of the better self-sustaining Warframes which allows it to live through melee. To go over Inaros' points when it comes to melee

1. Desiccation is a very fast cast low cost power that blinds and stuns enemies. This is useful to a melee fighter because it gives them a "pause" button on enemies if things are getting to rough. It also opens enemies to Melee Finisher attackers. Finisher attacks get bonus damage and can bypass Armor. This will also trigger weapon mods like Covert Legality for Daggers. 
  2. Devour is Ianros' primary healing method that lets him 'eat' enemies and turn them into sand clones. Rarely used is the fact that allies can also Devour marked enemies and get health back. You can often out heal incoming damage while using Devour against all but the highest levels of enemies. Holding down its casting button (#2 by default) will pull an enemy to Ianros, which allows Inaros to 'yonk' enemies into Frost's Snow Globe if the situation is unsafe and one or both players are at low health. 
  3. Sandstorm is I've personally found best used in quick bursts. It has less value to a melee focus as it tends to fling enemies away from you. Which can be useful in getting yourself out of a packed mob.
  4. Scarab Swarm brings Inaros' armor up to comparable levels to Chroma or Atlas. Combined with the larger HP pool, makes him one of the most durable melee warframes currently in play.
  5. Sarcophagus the passive lets Inaros get back up on his own by draining health off nearby enemies. It's not very good a extremely high levels of play due to the low damage it does (although Digital Extremes has talked about using the Secondary wepaon's damage).

The alternative melee champion Valkyr is going to be getting some changes to Hysteria in the next update, which will weaken it a bit and make it a touch more tricky to use for someone who isn't fully modded to support it. The scaling energy costs and reducing damage reduction will mean a Valkyr player will have to be paying more attention to their energy reserves and enemy positioning. One big flaw of Valkyr is she is vulnerable to Nullifiers and other forms of power disruption. If you have accumulated a large amount of damage during Hysteria and get Nullified out of it, it can lead to a instant death.

Valkyr vs Inaros: With the changes coming to Valkyr, I see Inaros as a more 'stable' frame to play. Inaros is also generally immune to Nullifiers. His ability to self-heal is also safer then Valkyr's since he doesn't have to drop into Hysteria and smack people to heal. Another upside is that you'll be spending more time with your melee weapons, as a Hysteria Valkyr tends to spend most of her time with her custom claw weapons out.

Now you can run Valkyr differently as near pure Armor 'tank', using Hysteria in bursts to get health back or deal with particularly powerful enemies. However I personally feel that she has higher risk of being downed than Inaros does.

The combination of Frost and Inaros are two very safe warframes that can support each other, and handle most situations you'll get into very well. 

For you: Seems like you enjoy more balanced and rounded gameplay, rather than anything specialized. To that end, I would recommend:

• Oberon (Damage/Status/Healer)
  • Chroma (Self-Sustaining Tank/Support),
  • Equinox (A frame literally designed around balance between support and damage) 
  • Nezha (Damage/Tank/Status).

There are several others you can try out, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

For the wife: You say she loves melee, but is currently prone to getting overwhelmed. Excalibur is an excellent melee frame, but based on what you have said, I'd recommend:

• Valkyr (Melee/Tank)
  • Wukong (Damage/Melee)
  • Inaros (Self-Sustaining Tank)
  • Atlas (Damage/Tank)

The last two aren't necessarily dedicated melee, but they definitely have the survivability to allow a more "relaxed" melee experience.

Also, forgive my blatant self-promotion, but if you two are looking for a clan I'd be happy to have you be a part of mine. I'm quite literally the only one in it (since I'm antisocial), but the research is 95% done or so. If you want something more populated, I'd recommend Mountain or Moon Clans that have active members.

Welcome to Warframe!  Looks like we're in a similar situation (husband and wife team, no voice chat, slow reflex compare to the kiddies, busy schedule, etc.) so maybe I can offer some suggestions.  Right now just pick whatever might suit your play style while keep unlocking new planets and trying new frames and weapons.  Once you and your wife build up a good set of Warframes, you guys can coordinate to maximize the meta game which is more important later in game (high level Void missions, sorties, etc.).  I have to say that most of the time my husband and I just pick whatever our favorite frames and play with those.  WF was my first shooter game so I was (still is XD) terrible at shooting and my reaction time is slow so I started with caster frame (Mag was my starter).   

Ok, now my recommendations for you and your wife.  You said your wife likes melee but dies a lot.  She'll need to level up her Vitality mod (undamaged version) so she'll be a bit less squishy.  Excal is great melee frame, but you guys should use his Radial Blind and move quickly.  He's less tanky than some other frames so you'll need his crowd control and mobility to stay alive longer.  I also recommend Rhino for your wife.  Rhino is easily obtained by defeating the boss on Venus.  All of his abilities are useful and your teammates will love his Roar and Stomp.  His Iron Skin is strong enough to survive most of Star Chart, but at higher level you guys should use his Stomp more often for crowd control.  A lot of new players rely too much on Iron Skin and think they can face tank everything so try to avoid that mistake if you can. Nezha, Valkyr, Wukong, Inaros, and Atlas are great as well though it'll be hard for you guys to obtain Nezha (sorties reward), Inaros (quest reward), and Atlas (quest + high level archwing boss fight) as new players.  Valkyr (Jupiter boss drop) and Wukong (clan tech so join a large clan that has their research completed) should be pretty easy to get so start with those.  

You said you like range and melee.  Besides the melee frames I recommended for your wife, I would check out Ember, Frost, Volt, and Mag. All of Ember's power is dealing damages which is great for beginners and for clearing the Star Chart.  Frost is a great well rounded frame.  People use him a lot for defense, excavation, and mobile defense missions, but after his rework from last year, his damage and crowd control are quite good as well.  Only problem I see with Frost is you'll need to fight the Ceres boss for his parts.  Volt is another well rounded frame that can be used in many mission types.  Volt is mainly a support frame but his speed power makes him fun as a melee frame as well.  He and Mag are supposed to get their rework this week so it's a great time build and level them.  Volt is clan tech so no farming needed.  Mag can be easily farmed fighting the Mars boss.  

Of course there are a bunch of other interesting and fun frames, but I think the ones I've mentioned should be great for new players because their powers are fairly straight forward, they're fairly easy to mod, their parts are easily farmed, and they give you a good taste of what is to come.  They're great for new players, but they're still great frames to use as veterans.

Hope you and your wife have fun playing together, and hope you find other husband and wife teams.  :3

42 minutes ago, DaBruuzer said:

Thank you for the welcome and advice!

:)

I just thought of something.  If your wife likes to play melee but is easily overwhelmed at the moment, you can play support to her melee frame.  For example, you can heal her as Trinity, Oberon, or Nezha or you can provide crowd control, like Nyx's Chaos and Absorb, Rhino's Stomp, Loki's Disarm and Decoy, Vauban's Bastille and Vortex, etc.  You could also provide a safe place for her to retreat, like Frost's Snow Globe, Limbo's Banish, and so on.  On the other hand, her melee frames should be fairly tanky and she can draw fire away from you if you're using squishier frames.  Her melee frames should also have crowd control abilities which increase your squad's chance of survival.

Of course you guys will still need to find and level up essential (and undamaged) mods which will greatly increase your survivability and killing power.  Vitality, Redirection, Steel Fiber, damage mods for your weapons (Serration, Hornet Strike, Pressure Point, and Point Blank), and Warframe mods (Intensity, Streamline, Flow, Stretch, and Continuity) are the ones I can think of right now.  If you make friends in game or join a helpful, active clan, they might be happy to give you those mods so you might not even have to deal with RNG.  If you're using melee a lot, definitely make maxing Pressure Point your priority as well as leveling Vitality and/or Redirection a bit. 

4 hours ago, SquattingMouse said:

On a side note my wife and I were part of a 20 wave void defense team and when in chat we pointed out that we were in the same room the other team asked if we were brothers.  The 34 year old maths teacher and 32 year old accounts manager nearly fell off our chairs for laughing.  Welcome Dabruuzer and myself and my wfie are glad to know we're not alone out here and there are others around! 

Hello, Fellow Husband and Wife team!  Your story reminded me of something that happened to us a few days ago.  We invited two random clanmates to do ODS and they asked why there are two Saryns on the team (we just got our primes out of the oven and were leveling them).  My husband said we're married and the other guys thought we were joking.  Usually what follows that reveal is "Why don't you guys chat in game?" Well, why do we need to type in chat when we can communicate in person.  XD

7 minutes ago, DaBruuzer said:

IS there any logical progression for 'Frames?  Or is it really just, "aim for what looks cool to you"?

just go for what you like. everything has its plus' and minus' but they are all fun to use. dont fall into the meta of having to use specific build for specific frame in missions. while some frame compliment each other and are better equipped for some things (ex frost/snow globe for defense mission, loki and ivara for spy missions, ect), all things are possibly with any frame.

4 minutes ago, PsychedelicSnake said:

For you: Seems like you enjoy more balanced and rounded gameplay, rather than anything specialized. To that end, I would recommend Oberon (Damage/Status/Healer), Chroma (Self-Sustaining Tank/Support), Equinox (A frame literally designed around balance between support and damage), and Nezha (Damage/Tank/Status). There are several others you can try out, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

For the wife: You say she loves melee, but is currently prone to getting overwhelmed. Excalibur is an excellent melee frame, but based on what you have said, I'd recommend Valkyr (Melee/Tank), Wukong (Damage/Melee), Inaros (Self-Sustaining Tank), and Atlas (Damage/Tank). The last two aren't necessarily dedicated melee, but they definitely have the survivability to allow a more "relaxed" melee experience.

Also, forgive my blatant self-promotion, but if you tow are looking for a clan I'd be happy to have you be a part of mine. I'm quite literally the only one in it (since I'm antisocial), but the research is 95% done or so. If you want something more populated, I'd recommend Mountain or Moon Clans that have active members.

Thanks so much for the quick response and info!  VERY helpful - can't wait to check them out when I get on tonight.  As for your clan, we will certainly keep it in mind, so thank you again for mentioning it.

Just now, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

just go for what you like. everything has its plus' and minus' but they are all fun to use. dont fall into the meta of having to use specific build for specific frame in missions. while some frame compliment each other and are better equipped for some things (ex frost/snow globe for defense mission, loki and ivara for spy missions, ect), all things are possibly with any frame.

This is very important as well. While all frames fall into a specific role that they excel in, any frame is capable of doing other things. Frost is great for defense, but can be an excellent debuffer/damage dealer. Ivara is great for stealth, but can be a fantastic crowd-control/damage dealer. Stuff like that. It just takes some experimentation and the overwhelming intent to not listen to the meta.

The only logical progression is if you want to farm the frame that drops from a planet's boss, since you need to beat the bosses to advance to new planets anyway. Otherwise, it's go for whichever frame piques your interest. Since you like a mix of range and melee, there are a variety of frames that can work for you. You could always go with Loki, and do stealth for melee or just stay at a distance for gun-play, then stealth to get away if there's too much focus fire on you. Ivara is a great frame for ranged play, as is Mesa. Rhino is also pretty fantastic, because he can buff ALL damage with his third ability, making him great for almost any style of play.

Since your wife prefers melee, but has a bit of trouble staying alive, I'd say for her a Loki or Valkyr would be good. Loki can stealth, so it makes it easier to get in and chop people to pieces without getting her. Valkyr's ult makes her invincible and gives her claws to slash people up with (a berserker melee mode). Rhino is also good, because Iron Skin gives him a massive outer armor that has be destroyed before enemies can hurt your shields/health. Just my first suggestions, at a glance.

A shame you used your starting plat already. It's actually typically better to use it on buying a Warframe slot, and 2 sets of weapon slots. That way you can get more stuff without having to sell stuff you already had. Luckily, plat can be easily purchased with login rewards (i suggest waiting for a 75% discount coupon if you do this), or by selling prime parts, mods, and various other things to other players through Trade.

Edited by Minion135

With wukong and rhino can be used effectively as melee and ranged (with a primary or secondary) but there are a lot frames who can be effective at ranged + melee, it may sound like a lazy suggestion but take a look at the wiki to see the abilities of each frame, you will get a general idea of what they can do.

Your wife seems like she was born for valkyr, is a melee focused frame who doesnt have too much problems when you get overwhelmed, when she gets a little bit of experience she can try other melee frames such chroma or wukong.

Bonus track: my dad is 56 years old and still love games like the first day, glad to see people enjoying games at all ages.

1 hour ago, DaBruuzer said:

Greetings all!

Disclaimer: I am VERY new to WF, so please forgive any ignorant questions from me - I really did try to read a lot of the forums and watched many YouTube vids as well, before asking.  I am also in my mid-40's and still try to be an active PC gamer, as is my wife.  So we don't pretend to have the same reflexes that we did 'back in the day', nor the ability to be as social (like voice chat, etc.) as we were back in our MMO days in the 2000's.

I am very pleased to have found Warframe (wish I had discovered it a while ago).  We both have very busy work schedules, and now find gaming time to be at a premium; we're lucky to get in an hour a night, and a few on the weekends.  Warframe seems almost made for us, being able to jump in for a quick mission or two, etc.  We live only 2 hours from London, ON, so we're even heading to Tennocon in July!

Anyway, to my question:

My wife and I, being new to the game, are proceeding cautiously, not power-leveling, etc.  Reading/watching guides, and trying to take a LOT of the info in.  The only Plat we have spent is on a Reactor each, thus far.  My wife has more difficulty than I performing the quick movements that the game rewards, but she is coming along slowly.  We're both using Excalibur for the moment, and it's been fun!  But we're both wondering what to aim for next.  IS there any logical progression for 'Frames?  Or is it really just, "aim for what looks cool to you"?  I like a mix of ranged and melee, wife loves melee, but tends to get overwhelmed and die a lot.

In any case, we're happy to have discovered the game, and so far the community has been great, providing a wealth of knowledge and information.  We'll most likely look for a clan to join soon, but for now we're enjoying duo-ing (if that's a word!).  Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Dab

Its really just sticking to what you like, forcing yourself to play a frame you don't like tends to get in the way of experience.

For all rounders. Frost is probably your best choice for long-term. He can create his own little bunker for ranged and he's hard enough to take punishment in close combat (That and innate ice abilities means enemies are typically too busy being frozen to fight back). Ash is also a decent all-rounder combat frame since his cloaking allows you to re-position if things get too hot and absolutely murder everyone with Blade Storm.

For close combat. For no-frills meele, get Valkyr who basically cannot die in CQC (well up until DE decides to bash her knees in with a nerfbat soon so tread lightly). Rhino for a tanky disruptor frame who will not die with the old Iron Skin + Stomp combo. Saryn's also a solid choice since her abilities are about wiping out enemies en-masse, she's decently survivable, and personally she hasn't failed me yet for getting into the thick of it (plus her prime version is bae).

Edited by Alma_Elma

3 minutes ago, xiaodenden said:

Welcome to Warframe!  Looks like we're in a similar situation (husband and wife team, no voice chat, slow reflex compare to the kiddies, busy schedule, etc.) so maybe I can offer some suggestions... (cut)

Hope you and your wife have fun playing together, and hope you find other husband and wife teams.  :3

Thank you for the welcome and advice!

Lots of good advice so far.  I only wanted to add a couple of my favorite Frame combinations.  Maybe you and your wife would like to try them:

1.  Frost and Ember - There's something so lovely about the high defensive capabilities of Frost mixed with the high offensive capabilities of Ember.  Also, if you're Game of Thrones fans, you'll be even more amused by this.  Both of these frames aren't too hard to get either.

2.  Saryn and Nova - I LOVE seeing a Saryn when I'm playing Nova Prime.  Toxic damage over time and Viral procs with some significant crowd control mixed in.  With the right builds, the enemies will disintegrate before they can ever touch either of you.  Pure fun all around.

3.  Ash and Loki/Ivara - I personally love stealth frames, and when two of them join forces, it's a beautiful thing.  It may take you some time to get these frames, but give them a shot when you do.  Spy and Deception missions are so much more fun when you bring the real spies.

Have fun!

21 minutes ago, Alma_Elma said:

For all rounders. Frost is probably your best choice for long-term. He can create his own little bunker for ranged and he's hard enough to take punishment in close combat (That and innate ice abilities means enemies are typically too busy being frozen to fight back). Ash is also a decent all-rounder combat frame since his cloaking allows you to re-position if things get too hot and absolutely murder everyone with Blade Storm.

Oddly enough, this IS a great suggestion for myself (and thanks to the others that have suggested the same).  Ice powers in games are sorta my thing - I really like them.  So now I know my next goal!

Silly questions though:

1. What is QCQ?  EDIT: I meant CQC.
  2. What is DE?
Edited by DaBruuzer
Typo

2 minutes ago, DaBruuzer said:

Oddly enough, this IS a great suggestion for myself (and thanks to the others that have suggested the same).  Ice powers in games are sorta my thing - I really like them.  So now I know my next goal!

Silly questions though:

1. What is QCQ?
  2. What is DE?
  1. Assuming you meant CQC, that's Close Quarters Combat. Basically melee.
  2. DE is the abbreviation of Digital Extremes, the Developers.

3 minutes ago, DaBruuzer said:

Silly questions though:

1. What is QCQ?
  2. What is DE?

DE = Digital Extremes.  They made this game for us.

QCQ = ?  You got me there... never heard of it.

4 minutes ago, PsychedelicSnake said:
  1. Assuming you meant CQC, that's Close Quarters Combat. Basically melee.
  2. DE is the abbreviation of Digital Extremes, the Developers.

Duh... I should have figured that out myself.  Thanks!

If you won't buy frames, you will get exactly the same frames as all new players got because of the planet progression and order in which you can complete them. The next will be rhino, valkyr, mag, ember. Not that much of a variety here unless you will skip some planets in order to get other frames.

You can see planets and frames you can get here. The rest of the frames are clan research things only or tied to the quests/missions (Chroma, Mirage) you're unable to do at this point because you need to finish the main quest first or open higher tier planets to be able to farm for some (like Ivara).

Edited by Nomen_Nescio

1 minute ago, blazekan5 said:

Btw, I wouldn't spend all your plat on reactors and catalysts, you should spend most of it on slots for warframes and weapons

Actually, you're right: we DID buy a reactor for each Excalibur, as well as a WF slot each.

13 minutes ago, DaBruuzer said:

Silly questions though:

1. What is QCQ?
  2. What is DE?

*CQC, and it's short for Close-Quarters Combat.

Just now, DaBruuzer said:

Duh... I should have figured that out myself.  Thanks!

Anyway, Frost is an excellent choice if you plan on going for him. You can find him on one of the higher-level planets, on Exta, Ceres. His kit is very useful, despite people usually going for only a single ability.

1. Freeze: It can slow enemies to a crawl, which is extremely useful. It also has an Area of Effect on impact, which means he can potentially slow down and entire horde if aimed properly. His Freeze Augment (Augments you can earn from Syndicates) can even let you cast it on allies so they get ice damage to their weapons.
  2. Ice Wave: Similar to Freeze, but it can also do a ton of damage if used and modded correctly. It also affects a much wider area. With the Augment you can slow enemies even further.
  3. Snowglobe: Do you see a theme here? Yup, Snowglobe can slow down enemies that get caught in its radius. You can cast up to 4 at a time, or repeatedly cast within the same Snowglobe to stack its health and durability. It can also protect you from all outside ranged attacks. If you cast it while near enemies, they'll be frozen and tossed outside. It's a great Crowd-Control/Defensive ability. The Augment provides a chance for enemies to be instantly frozen upon entering.
  4. Avalanche: Big radius, high damage. It has the added bonuses of not only freezing enemies but also stripping their armor, which is extremely useful as time goes on.

In terms of what you should go for as your next frame, it's really up to your personal tastes. Considering that most frames are freely obtained through boss drops there is a line up of ones available as you progress through the star chart. If you're willing to spend some platinum, then they are all available to choose.

I understand you have done some research but just for reference, here is a link to the Wiki, if by chance you hadn't seen it, with all the Warframe so you can get a better idea of each frames strengths and weaknesses:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Warframes

If you'd rather watch videos, Digital Extremes has put out "profile" videos to explain each Warframes abilities:

Please note that sometimes Warframe get updated and balanced so you may see these videos get updated in the near future, as Digital Extremes has recently noted changes are coming for frames like Mag. In any case, they will give you a good idea of how they function in game.

From your post, I would suggest Banshee, Oberon, Rhino, with a strong emphasis for Equinox for yourself. These are jack of all trades with mixed line ups of abilities for long and short range and Equinox is a specialist in that with having a much more versatile range between day and night form.

For your wife, I would suggest Trinity, Rhino, with a strong emphasis on Valkyr and Inaros. Trinity is mostly a healer and can provide energy, but her Link ability really pushes her to also being in the fray of battle rather than hiding in a corner. Rhino's Iron Skin gives grants him accessible damage absorption to aid him when going beserk but he's ultimately outmatched by Valkyr's Hysteria which is functionally a Melee version of Excalibur's Exalted blade and grants her invulnerability for the duration. Inaros is Valkyr's rival in that while none of his abilities make him invulrnerable, his over all health pool and ability to recover large portions of health with his abilities, make him a very strong tank when focused on Melee.