Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

38 minutes ago, Wolfnrun said:

Now you feel our pain =-/ This rework was rushed and needed more thinking prior to release 

hopefully, everything will be fixed after U19 is out of the way and volt and mag users won't be dissapointed with the results :smile: 

Just now, Aquasurge said:

hopefully, everything will be fixed after U19 is out of the way and volt and mag users won't be dissapointed with the results :smile: 

Yup! Let's stay positive! i'm sure we won't be ignored...seemingly how this thread managed 30 pages 

3 minutes ago, Wolfnrun said:

Yup! Let's stay positive! i'm sure we won't be ignored...seemingly how this thread managed 30 pages 

and the mag thread has 4 more pages. lol - the irony of DE's response in the most recent update.

Edited by Aquasurge

5 hours ago, Aquasurge said:

As a console player, I'm still playing around, but have some input:

1.  1 second delay on speed?  Can live with it but...why?  Negative QoL.

2.  Riot shield:. Reduce cost requirements/restrictions or lose it.  Keeping it so restrictive is just a slap in the face, like "New Coke" was to Coke Classic.

3.  Reward Volt players for utility and build diversity with his 4!

Overload was a slow cast, compromised damage, compromised cc 4 for a Speed frame!  This is seemingly 2.0...

Call it Overload or Discharge or Overcharge, but PLEASE allow duration builds to effectively CC with minimal damage and allow Power Stength builds to effectively damage with minimal CC.

Why would you give Volt a CC 4 that is LESS effective with more enemies in a given area? 

Why would you give an artificial, low-ceiling/non-scaling damage cap if it can be modded for damage?

4.  Please increase base speed a bit.

Thanks!

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

1 hour ago, (PS4)Midnight_Spark- said:

Welp, back to playing Destiny! Warframe is now just literally a waste of my time.

You know it's dark times when your best option is to go back to Destiny....iv actaully been more and more interested into wading back into that mess myself, even with all the horror if heard, it honestly is still something I'm really considering 

Edited by (PS4)WINDMILEYNO
I've

2 hours ago, (PS4)Midnight_Spark- said:

Welp, back to playing Destiny! Warframe is now just literally a waste of my time.

I hope this wasn't in response to my latest post.  I must qualify my feedback from the perspective of a Warframe veteran and Ardent Voltvocate who has significant hours and real-world dollars invested in DE's baby.

I want my Volt to be able to compete with and support other veterans like myself.

My critique is heavily "end game" (for lack of a better term) weighted.

Let me be clear:  I have tremendous appreciation for DE's interactive approach to development, and no matter how seemingly harsh, the criticism is meant for the betterment of the game, and yes there is a smidge of Volt-bias.

As for Destiny...there is no comparison when it comes to the total experience in terms of game mechanics, immersion, lore, and community.  Warframe crushes Destiny.  At least for this seasoned gray-hair.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

I find it funny that Mag gets mentioned here. Mag is in drastically better shape than Volt is. I just used mag in the sortie the other day vs Lech Kril, and early in the fight, we couldn't do crap. Everyone was dying constantly. Four polarizes and one magnetize later, and we're tearing him apart in seconds. Mag has become the manipulator it was intended to be, instead of the "Press 2 to win" that it was against the corpus. And now it's viable vs Grineer and infested, and is more of a boss breaker

Volt on the other hand, has had its ult changed so it has a hard cap of overall damage, does less cc when there are more enemies within range (making it utterly useless against hordes), speed is now a royal pain to grant to allies, and his passive does essentially nothing past level 30 except conserve ammo in exchange for DPS. Thankfully, my issues with Electric shield have been fixed by raising the cap to 6, but his ult is still merely a panic button, his 1 is barely even useful, and his 2 is mostly just for himself.

After a lot of playing around with Volt, High/low duration and strength builds, as well as a range focus, I do have a few little picks.

1) Riot shield consumes too much energy. It's much cheaper in the long run to just use a stationary, to the point where there are very few uses for the riot shield.  Maybe lower it to 2 energy per second?

2) The middle man for picking up the shield is irritating. Having to cast and then pick up when I do want to use riot is an annoying middleman. Could you consider setting up the ability like Inaros's scarab swarm, where if I tap I cast a stationary shield, and If I hold I cast a riot shield? And maybe make the riot and stationary be duration and drain based respectively? 

3) This is more of a personal niggle, if the secondary restriction is a must, please decrease the time it takes to swap the weapons. When I cast the shield, I want to shoot immediately, but I'm forced to wait a second or two before I can deal damage again because of the weapon swapping speed. Or all out get rid of the restriction. 

4) Speed's pick up being dropped where Volt cast it is a hindrance to the team, speed as a team buff was fine as it was IMO. Maybe just flat out make it a self buff only. You practically have to be in front of a team member for them to pick it up, and doesn't fit cooperatively.

4.5) Really small one here. The reload buff isn't really noticeable unless you're using a weapon with an insane reload time. Maybe x1.75 - x2 to reload at max instead of x1.5?

5) Remove Discharge's cap. It's just not needed. Unless this is a sign of balance changes to come, It just seems like an unneeded hindrance to a good ability.

All and all, a good rework. Just with a few irritations. 

On 5/27/2016 at 4:45 PM, Satinpuppies said:

I used to be able to take volt into corpus sorties and keep up damage wise with the old mag. Now I can't even clear a room in a t2-t3 tower with his ult ;/

Please tell me i'm not the only one.

=======

Volt is also extremely hard to mod far. Unlike many other frames who have atleast one Power stat that doesn't benefit them much (allowing them to arrange there corrupted mods in way that negatively hits that stat they don't care about while maximizing the ones they do care about . Volt abilities are greatly impacted by all stats and once theres a corrupted mod included you feel as if you can't have an optimum build.

Edited by ZeroLiger

Just now, ZeroLiger said:

Volt is also extremely hard to mod far. Unlike many other frames who have atleast one Power stat that benefits them (allowing them to arrange there corrupted mods in way that negatively hits that stat they don't care about while maximizing the ones they do care about . Volt abilities are greatly impacted by all stats and once theres a corrupted mod included you feel as if you can't have an optimum build.

Every.Ability. Needs more buffs...

Here are some changes I suggest:

Shock damage up to 10p/125/150/225 from 75/100/125/200 (so it scales better).

Shock Chain range up to 20m up from 15m (To make negative range builds more feasible)

Discharge range up to 30m (To make negative range builds more feasible)

Have discharge damage partially scale with enemy health. (To make low damage builds more feasible)

Reduce Static and Current shield energy costs to 35 and 3 per sec respectively (To make low energy efficient builds more feasible). I mean he'd probably be the only warframe who can get away with having lower than a 100% energy efficiency which would be cool and unique.

Allow allies to accept Volt's speed buff within the first 3 seconds by pressing the "Inspect Button". Have a Speed icon display over their head to notify them.

I feel that the damage from discharge should be dealt right away on single enemies. Normally you have to wait 4 seconds until the DoT of discharge starts on an enemy that does not have any other enemies in arc range. Also the arc range from shocked enemies seems really low to me. Overextended feels mandatory to make it viable.

I also think that Volt is still no alternative to gunplay. His first ability should at least damage nullifier shields when you hit them directly. Apart from that he really feels fine to me.

Edited by Genoscythe

9 hours ago, Censium said:

After a lot of playing around with Volt, High/low duration and strength builds, as well as a range focus, I do have a few little picks.

1) Riot shield consumes too much energy. It's much cheaper in the long run to just use a stationary, to the point where there are very few uses for the riot shield.  Maybe lower it to 2 energy per second?

2) The middle man for picking up the shield is irritating. Having to cast and then pick up when I do want to use riot is an annoying middleman. Could you consider setting up the ability like Inaros's scarab swarm, where if I tap I cast a stationary shield, and If I hold I cast a riot shield? And maybe make the riot and stationary be duration and drain based respectively? 

3) This is more of a personal niggle, if the secondary restriction is a must, please decrease the time it takes to swap the weapons. When I cast the shield, I want to shoot immediately, but I'm forced to wait a second or two before I can deal damage again because of the weapon swapping speed. Or all out get rid of the restriction. 

4) Speed's pick up being dropped where Volt cast it is a hindrance to the team, speed as a team buff was fine as it was IMO. Maybe just flat out make it a self buff only. You practically have to be in front of a team member for them to pick it up, and doesn't fit cooperatively.

4.5) Really small one here. The reload buff isn't really noticeable unless you're using a weapon with an insane reload time. Maybe x1.75 - x2 to reload at max instead of x1.5?

5) Remove Discharge's cap. It's just not needed. Unless this is a sign of balance changes to come, It just seems like an unneeded hindrance to a good ability.

All and all, a good rework. Just with a few irritations. 

Your #2, 3 are beautiful suggestions and I hope DE reads them.

im quiet happy with the volt changes tbh.

right now i would change 2 main things:

speed should still have the aoe AND the pickup

and

discharge should be like novas prime and mags polarize mechanics. the range should be affected by DURATION.

since pretty much none of his otehr skills are affected by range, why does DE forces us to make another @(*()$ hybrid build. we got mainly strength and duration on volt abilities. to power up the speed (which is around where i build my volt), you need duration and strength, some eff is fine, but after that, you need to sacrifice duration or strength mods to get some ok range for his ultimate.

I can understand some volt players being upset but the fact is the ultimate is more useful as a CC than it ever was before as a damage dealer. Once you reach higher levels your going to rely on weapons for damage over abilities, unless you're using ash. CC scales no matter how high level the enemy is, it affects all factions, not just corpus, and it works everywhere, not just where there are working lights. I'm not sure why so many people want to go back to an ability that was do situational. 

Edit: I have read more of the comments and I think people's problem with volt is that they are trying to min/max a frame that needs all four power stats. Just don't do it, it doesn't work for volt. 

If you max out range damage and speed go down the gutter, and I find that the ultimate actually stuns less enemies (almost as if it misses some of them). I just use +45% range, it's all he needs.

If you max out duration he doesn't have enough range to make his ultimate useful and your stuck with only a shield that is either stationary or drains your energy. In my plays his Shields have enough duration without adding duration mod but you can used continuity if you want.

If you max out power str you will be disappointed.  With a few exceptions most warframe abilities don't scale into end game and there isn't much point in molding power strip unless you really want the speed boost.

I maxed out his Shields, which are already pretty impressive, and his power efficiency. I use capacitance and cast the ultimate every once in a while to give him overshields. When done right his Shields recharge faster than he takes damage, making him deceptively tanks. If a heavy unit or bombard appears I will use shields, take him out, then carry on. There is no need for a duration build in that scenario. Honestly some people carry on like they didn't bring any weapons and can only kill enemies using warframe abilities. The abilities should compliment combat, not dominate it. It's no fun if all warframes were just press 4 to win all day long. That would get boring fast for me.

Edited by Rythiman

how can you guys even just use his Ult? is it ATM PS4/ Console exclusive that it in average doesn't even affect like a fifth of the enemies in range (regardless of numbers of enemies in range)? i could (but don't really want to) deal with mediocre damage as long as the CC would be there, but it isn't really either as long as we have this bullcr@p of that enemy X refuses to be affected at all because it's on a slightly different height level or has a position error that places it a millimeter above ground or whatever the weird and inconsistent appearing reason for this behavior is. 

and about his Speed, since we throw around ideas here - i just go ahead and repost my old idea of it's rework: 

asides from that i'd like an additional knockdown recovery buff for it (mainly since it could clear a mod slot for me), i always hated it as Volt when in non particularly stationary missions i buffed teammates once and then i like never saw them again since Volt is usually the slowest char (under the effects of the buff and without) - so i proposed for movement speed and sprint speed of teammates  LOADOUTS  to not get buffed in the form of a multiplyer but instead just to the exact value the casting Volt's  LOADOUT  has under the effect (which even can result in no movement or sprint buff provided at all and just the melee & reload speed multiplyer given).

additionally a Volt should be able to override on himself another Volt's Speed buff with his own. it was always stupid when i picked my high strength & Speed augment Volt, just for little Random switching to his augmentless, low strength, extra high duration Volt - preventing me from using my way different specced Speed for half the mission. that rework would result in the pick-up stuff not being needed anymore for Volts but only for that few folks not wanting it because they say it would make them motion sick or something (time for being able to toggle the state of being able to receive it off in the options then...). 

Edited by (PS4)HELLHOUND_ROCKO

1 hour ago, Rythiman said:

I can understand some volt players being upset but the fact is the ultimate is more useful as a CC than it ever was before as a damage dealer. Once you reach higher levels your going to rely on weapons for damage over abilities, unless you're using ash. CC scales no matter how high level the enemy is, it affects all factions, not just corpus, and it works everywhere, not just where there are working lights. I'm not sure why so many people want to go back to an ability that was do situational. 

Edit: I have read more of the comments and I think people's problem with volt is that they are trying to min/max a frame that needs all four power stats. Just don't do it, it doesn't work for volt. 

If you max out range damage and speed go down the gutter, and I find that the ultimate actually stuns less enemies (almost as if it misses some of them). I just use +45% range, it's all he needs.

If you max out duration he doesn't have enough range to make his ultimate useful and your stuck with only a shield that is either stationary or drains your energy. In my plays his Shields have enough duration without adding duration mod but you can used continuity if you want.

If you max out power str you will be disappointed.  With a few exceptions most warframe abilities don't scale into end game and there isn't much point in molding power strip unless you really want the speed boost.

I maxed out his Shields, which are already pretty impressive, and his power efficiency. I use capacitance and cast the ultimate every once in a while to give him overshields. When done right his Shields recharge faster than he takes damage, making him deceptively tanks. If a heavy unit or bombard appears I will use shields, take him out, then carry on. There is no need for a duration build in that scenario. Honestly some people carry on like they didn't bring any weapons and can only kill enemies using warframe abilities. The abilities should compliment combat, not dominate it. It's no fun if all warframes were just press 4 to win all day long. That would get boring fast for me.

Just got a Volt to test the rework(still lvl 14, so can't sat much besides how Volt P looks fabulous o.o), I can agree with how "50% more damage" wouldn't help, cc does scale much better. However what I've seen people comment, is how his Discharge isn't lasting as it should. How would is the cap affecting this, are people putting too much strength, and if so, why is it being punished..? I mean, if I put strength, the damage done isn't high, and that also reduces the CC...

Removing the cap to a flat duration, or maybe changing the CC to power duration, these could solve the problems people talk about.

But alas, I gotta try him to see how it is going.