Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:25 PM, Cytobel said:

There is no point to this rework, no theme.  Volt does nothing worth mentioning for a team that could just as well do without him.  Why Volt when you can just use Valkyr?

I'm not so sure about there being "no theme".

There's one thing that could be worth bringing him from other frames. His shields don't go by health but his power duration, and can make all enemy projectiles useless. In 6 different places, or all around the team. Why Volt over Valkyr? Movement and attack speed > Attack speed for me. Augmented 4th really helps as a backup quick shield overloader (heh, Overload).

i still feel overall he's very well off. the rework only made him better with some qol stuff still weirdly missing:

- no airborn discharge? c'mon now he does a little hop anyway if this is some kind of balancing feature indeed it's a rather weird one.

- no auto switchback to whatever primary one held before picking up a shield? with holstering speed being infamously slow this one is really annoying and i'm 100% sure not intended.

- speaking of picked up shields: that drain is arguably over the top alright (tho prime with primed flow can manage). also prioritizing between shield and other context actions still seems off sometimes.

- my pet peeve: still waiting for shield/gun interactions comeback, which was officially promised to us... :(

29 minutes ago, LunarEdge7 said:

Why Volt when you can just use Valkyr?

you can't be serious. e.g. volt's cc, defensive and support capabilites outshine valk's by far...

edit: almost forgot:

- "charged" shields should stop enemies at least once while passing through, like shock would normally do... but i guess they'll add that feature to an augment.

Edited by Kotsender_Quasimir

Volt is nothing. Defend the rework all you want but it is terrible, thematically he should be a very powerful frame however that is not the case. I admit the shield change is a fun concept but that is all it is. The people I see defending his rework all shout the same thing "Volt has cc and speed." The ONLY thing Volt has over other frames is his 2 which quite a few people opt out of and if properly modded even gimps the rest of his kit. Frost has better CC, heck Nekros has better CC with his fear. So tell me what does Volt do that would make him sought after by groups? I am sure those defending the rework will say CC like they always do, sorry that isn't good enough. Subpar CC doesn't mean anything. At this point Volt is a frame who depends heavily on his primary and secondary to be of any use. Search "Volt rework review" on youtube, I don't think there is a single review that I personally have seen that agrees the Volt rework is any good and I've seen good few from the Warframe youtubers Mogammu and Tactical Potato included. 

Personally, I really miss my old volt - Amprex synergy...  Having his shield make any weapon hit scan with infinite range and stacking bonuses to crit was just awesome.  Now his shield is mostly just defensive, with comparatively very little benefit to shooting through it.  I find the energy cost of carrying it around does not outweigh the supposed benefits of doing so.  Lastly, his kit is still very much polarized in regards to how he can be built.  Either you build for his crappy 4, or you build for everything else.  The damage cap on his 4, being the worst thing ever for a cc ability, means it's really only practical to build for his 1, 2, and 3.  All in all, he has the same exact problems he had before his rework.

well, it's still doubling the damage on critical hits which is nothing to scoff at (especially considering most top tier primaries work with high crit chance), but agreed: interactions like beam extension on continuous weapons and no fall off for shotguns made for interesting synergy i dearly miss, too. they literally said they'd get to reimplement those "asap" and here we are, a year and a rework later and nothing in sight...

personaly i feel despite its shortcomings discharge does its job as "oh sh..." button rather well. infinitely better than overload at least which was only really worth it on like 15% of tilesets...

The fact that we're all still here wishing the rework was undone 6 months later really says something I think. 

I'm still trying to make my Volt work again. I've played for 3 years, and most of it has been behind a volt. He was, I thought, the most versatile frame and offered a lot, especially for the solo player. I really miss being able to cannonball overload too. That was an excellent tactic, especially for revives. With the casting time leaving you exposed, and for so long, it is really a handicap to be ground bound. Discharge really needs to be augmented and built around to be useful damage wise, which is a bit wrong, otherwise, it's just an expensive group taser, and, as I've stated before, our impatient teammates will have killed most of the stunned enemies by the time discharge gets around to dealing its damage. Discharge isn't all bad, but it needs some work. I'd probably be fine with it if it acted a little faster and was able to be cast in the air. 

The charged shield is cute, but if an enemy is walking through my shield, usually that small amount of shock damage is just a consolation prize, since I have bigger problems, like the enemies walking through my shield. For effectiveness, the shield generally needs to be placed very close to the player, since we're usually shot at from many directions. The shield doesn't last long enough for choke point control anyway, so thats not a good tactic. And why the 6 shield limit? if I have the energy, why can't I waste it to my heart's content?

Oh, and channel block is definitely better than the riot shield. Less energy, especially if modded, and you can play jedi and deflect the bullets back at the enemy. 

Volt isn't completely broken, and I think DE can make something good out of the mess they made with him, but seriously, it needs some work. Volt isn't a good tactical choice right now.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:17 AM, TwelfthAngel said:

I used to play Volt all the time. Any mission anywhere. I haven't touched Volt in months now...

Have I simply come to terms there are better frames? Yes. And its a darn shame all the time I put into my first love, Volt.

I was literally just thinking the same thing last night.

On 12/24/2016 at 10:17 AM, TwelfthAngel said:

I used to play Volt all the time. Any mission anywhere. I haven't touched Volt in months now...

Have I simply come to terms there are better frames? Yes. And its a darn shame all the time I put into my first love, Volt.

I'll be honest... I really just don't think his 4 is interesting.

Too boring for me, I haven't used Volt since the first week of his rework. Ah well. Looking forward to Nidus I guess.

Volt is my main frame generally and though i agree his abilities are not super strong in the killing department, i find his kit to be useful in many situations. some are as follows :

shock = oh crap my [insert weapon here] needs to reload and a napalm is staring me down! *Hits shock to stun him for a moment as i reload and relocate*. all better now! Obviously this doesnt always work but it can save you in a pinch. As far as damage goes it can kill low level and mid level enemies but its probably better to just shoot them with something.

speed = pretty standard. depending on mods it can last awhile or a short burst with either a minor speed boost or a crazy fast one, great for melee attack/movement as well. i find the augment to be fairly bad for it though (really only useful for nodes like capture so you can stun/shock enemies as you rush to the target or extraction.

shield = i miss the amplified damage and range but i still find it to be quite useful. great for covering yourself or others during a revive or for making a safe spot to camp in a spot like a hallway where you can lay waste to the enemy with little to no return fire getting through. being able to carry it is kind of fun and is sometimes useful when you want to get close to something like a grineer rampart without getting lit up. Also good for defending consoles in M-Def missions or such when a frost or such isn't about for w/e duration you have. 

Overload = Now this one is hard to sell and i can see why. Trying to use it as a damage ult is basically pointless in anything above mid level content. However it does do things that make it useful still. in my case, i have the Capacitance augment on that gives me and any allies near me overshields provided everything being zapped by it doesnt die immediately or is immune to shock damage. Also with decent range and duration it can literally stun lock any non-flying unit for a decent amount of time. i believe my build stuns them for about 15 seconds or so which is rather nice amount of time. The main flaw is that it doesnt effect enemies like ospreys and some special units/bosses stun wise.

All in all...id give Volt a rating of about 6.5 out of 10. His kit is generally useful bit isnt the typical super power strong sort like Mirage, Ember or such but Volt can compliment a team as a good support easily by improving everyones movement and providing decent cover/CC (with added overshields possibly). Volt's flaws are his low Armor stats and the fact his abilties are the type that need a bit of everything to be effective and with limited space can be hard to find a good balance.

just my opinion as a volt player anywho.

So...shock is same as it was before speed probably lost more than it got. Shock cant override current animations such as rolling that enemies are in, and speed is recastable but only lasts for a blink of an eye. Sheild is ok, but encourages camping. The synergy with shock is something. Carrying it isnt as awesome as the devs seem to think, and doesnt warrant the drawbacks. And discharge (overload). I stopped playing volt a long time ago, but last time i played him, his ult was called discharge. 

Now, stunning enemies might be a thing people enjoy, but the minute i actually modded for discharge just to see what the hoopla was about, it killed volt in my eyes. Camping and ground stunning enemies is all he was reworked to do, and shows what the devs think of him. Volt is no longer fun to play. 

Sure he can "benefit" a team. He is a team player, almost as bad as playing with a nova on a small map, like berehynia. Your waiting for the enemy level to rise so it will actually start getting interesting, but they keep nerfing everything on the map. And you are not given a choice in the matter. At best, volt has two abilities, speed and sheild. But thats why wukong is more entertaining to play to me.

On 12/22/2016 at 8:14 AM, LunarEdge7 said:

I'm not so sure about there being "no theme".

There's one thing that could be worth bringing him from other frames. His shields don't go by health but his power duration, and can make all enemy projectiles useless. In 6 different places, or all around the team. Why Volt over Valkyr? Movement and attack speed > Attack speed for me. Augmented 4th really helps as a backup quick shield overloader (heh, Overload).

Your argument to me is to basically take Volt to be a support bot much in the way Nekros was with desecreate you seem to believe Volts has a theme with shields and speed boosts. If you have fun playing a support bot good on you mate the rest of us who see lightning as a DAMAGE DEALING ELEMENT as it is shown in movies, video games, books, you name it, lightning is never a support element. 

There is a fine line between support and assisting allies and by your own admission Volt is a support. We love Volt for what he could be not what he is. No one wants to play a support bot and thats exactly what Volt is IF you decide to take him. 

Edited for spelling (again)

Edited by Cyphrus

On 12/26/2016 at 6:39 AM, AnatharsWrath said:

Overload = Now this one is hard to sell and i can see why. Trying to use it as a damage ult is basically pointless in anything above mid level content. However it does do things that make it useful still. in my case, i have the Capacitance augment on that gives me and any allies near me overshields provided everything being zapped by it doesnt die immediately or is immune to shock damage. Also with decent range and duration it can literally stun lock any non-flying unit for a decent amount of time. i believe my build stuns them for about 15 seconds or so which is rather nice amount of time. The main flaw is that it doesnt effect enemies like ospreys and some special units/bosses stun wise.

*Discharge. I hate the new name, thus, I can't resist correcting it. What's this die immediately you speak of? it takes four whole seconds for the damage to start ticking, by which time my comrades have all destroyed all the affected enemies anyway with Fames like Saryn, Mirage, and Ember. I rarely actually see enemies die from overload, especially when I'm not running solo. Even when I am, the enemies are still there slowly arcing and generally being in the way of my killing non-arcing enemies. 

I am running capacitance currently, but it annoys me that discharge is near useless without it. Since the damage cap is the same as overloads was @ 4k, there seems to be no point in it as a damage boost, since all it does is do its damage slower, with a delay, and without the *awesome* chaining off of objects. 

Really, discharge is just an area taser, which is useful to a degree, but not nearly as useful as a room clearing power would be, especially since Volt only carries one other dedicated offensive power. Powerful alternative to gunplay isn't what volt is anymore. 

On 12/26/2016 at 10:47 AM, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

So...shock is same as it was before speed probably lost more than it got. Shock cant override current animations such as rolling that enemies are in, and speed is recastable but only lasts for a blink of an eye. Sheild is ok, but encourages camping. The synergy with shock is something. Carrying it isnt as awesome as the devs seem to think, and doesnt warrant the drawbacks. And discharge (overload). I stopped playing volt a long time ago, but last time i played him, his ult was called discharge. 

Now, stunning enemies might be a thing people enjoy, but the minute i actually modded for discharge just to see what the hoopla was about, it killed volt in my eyes. Camping and ground stunning enemies is all he was reworked to do, and shows what the devs think of him. Volt is no longer fun to play. 

Sure he can "benefit" a team. He is a team player, almost as bad as playing with a nova on a small map, like berehynia. Your waiting for the enemy level to rise so it will actually start getting interesting, but they keep nerfing everything on the map. And you are not given a choice in the matter. At best, volt has two abilities, speed and sheild. But thats why wukong is more entertaining to play to me.

I can't agree more with you're thoughts on Discharge & Carrying the Shield.

Carrying the Shield isn't worth it's energy cost. It's almost more expensive than Valkyr's Ultimate... which makes you invincible to damage w/ Life Steal.

Discharge is leans to much towards a more campy play style. This sadden me b/c, I ran Volt b/c he was good frame for a more balls to the wall, fast paced melee play style.

21 hours ago, Cyphrus said:

"Your argument to me is to.."

Never wanted an argument. Wanted a polite debate. I'm okay with either role he becomes to be in the future, since I like playing the killer or support.

If you want him to deal damage and have the basic electric procs that should still stay as it's what it does in Warframe, then I can only see %hp dmg abilities as a viable solution. It'd be weird to me, to be able to deal OP damage and stun continuously like an Ember without augmented WoF.