Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trinity Strega Cosplay (WiP for PAX Prime 2016)

Zoom.Out

(7/7/16) Sorry guys. After working late into the nights for the past few weeks, I've accepted that the cosplay will need some more time in the foundry. It's almost there, but due to various time-consuming elements, I won't be able to show it off at Tennocon. :( However, that means it will definitely be quality for PAX Prime later this Fall! I'll continue to post update pics in this forum till then.

So I'll be going as a casual street-clothed Tenno this year, (blending in as space ninjas should xD) but that doesn't mean I'm any less excited! I'm getting on a plane later today and I can't wait to to meet so many fellow Tenno when I get there! Safe travels to everyone! 

(6/23/16) Hey guys! I've decided rather last minute to make Trinity's Strega skin for Tennocon! Hopefully I'll be able to finish it as it's only a couple weeks away. I will be posting update pics frequently of what parts I'm working on so people can see the process if they're interested. :)

Side Notes: Hopefully I'll be able to install LED lights in time but it's a stretch goal. I was also planning on making weapons, but then I considered going through airport security... and thought again. T-T

Work Crunch #1

Spoiler

bufFySs.jpgNGcDcab.jpgtYFgqtU.jpgJYvLpnU.jpg8sp9SxX.jpg

Destroying a pair of shoes and doing some chiseling on an extra wooden platform. I have an idea of how I'm going to make her feet but I don't know if it'll work. We'll just have to see.

bZvCQ75.jpgoG61hUO.jpgNPU45Fg.jpg3xcpXXE.jpgqTI9ske.jpg4vqA0b9.jpgVzyp2pB.jpgbTEpnaJ.jpgpS8JwqX.jpg

Ladies and gentleman, the rare Foam Armadillo in its natural habitat.

t1dOA45.jpg

I'm squishing the side pieces in drawers overnight to make sure they maintain the right curve shape. They were a little too flat after I glued on the EVA foam. 

EjUkP2I.jpg

Work Crunch #2

Spoiler

tRYjE81.jpg

Drawing the designs on a shirt I intend to destroy and make into my pattern pieces. Did the same thing with a pair of pants.

PgOrWmE.jpg

Made base top from pattern. Dotted out design again and stitched over.

BTTInlK.png

Puff paint is ridiculously handy.

Edited by Zoom.Out
Changed name of topic

6 hours ago, Trichouette said:

Will you shave your head or are you already on chemotherapy ? :)

Actually, you bring up a side note. If I can get ahold of the proper materials in time, I'm actually planning on making the Trinity Prime helm for this, not the Strega helm. But That all depends on how the next week goes. The Strega helm will be easier to make and I do have a way that I can flatten down my hair underneath it if I go that route. But we'll just have to see. :)

12 minutes ago, BriWanderful said:

I've never worked with foams before so I have to ask, how did you get the grooves in the foam like in the second picture?

Looks amazing btw, hope you can finish it in time as I'm sure it will be even more awesome to see in real life :D

Well I'm working with three different kinds of foam for this so far: Craft foam (thin, but good for base shapes) EVA foam, Thick & durable, and foam batting which is the green you're seeing. The batting is very soft and comes in a lot of different thicknesses, and it's also easy to sew through (usually used for quilting). That piece you're looking at is actually a base of craft foam and then a layer of foam batting on top. In that first image you'll see the designs drawn on in sharpie so after that, all I had to do was sew on those lines to get that pillowed effect. Hope that makes sense. :)

Thanks so much! 

Edited by Zoom.Out

1 minute ago, BriWanderful said:

Oh that's really good to know thanks :o I'm hoping to make a Gersemi Skin Valkyr once I've gotten through a few other cosplays so knowing that about the foam is really helpful^-^

Oh nice! Glad to help. That'll be an awesome project! Definitely post progress pictures when you start working on it. :D

EjUkP2I.jpg

Got back from errands of the day and worked on the back panel tonight. Everything's super roughly pinned to my dress form at the moment. I'm realizing the hips have become a little odd shape wise. I'll need to fix them tomorrow. :( Hopefully I'll also be able to start coating everything in latex so I can start painting soon, but I'll hold off any color till the end. I really need to start working on the shirt and pants.