Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

why is the Nikana praised?

BaconOnARock

11 minutes ago, ranks21 said:

galatine holds up better than any of the nikanas primed or other wise don't let the stats fool you.

galatine also has great cc with the slam in its combos + its a multihit weapon.

nikana benefits from channeling while galatine doesn't need it

galatine keeps up the combo meter  and will get the multiplier higher than nikanas quicker.

nikana gets its praise for being a katana.

galatine finishers are just brutal sound and looks.

Your first point will be debunked as a matter of course by working through the rest of what I've bolded.

Nikanas have slam attacks too, and last I checked Melee 2.0 counts hits so long as the weapon's physical model touches the enemy, unless you're using Reach, which extends the hitbox past the weapon's model. Furthermore, Tranquil Cleave's whole shtick is its wide arcing swings. You'd be surprised how wide.

No weapon needs channeling. All benefit from the damage increase, but the energy cost is never worth it.

Nikanas have a faster base attack speed, and faster animations in their stances. and thus objectively get more hits out faster. On top of that, you can put Berserker and crit mods on 2 of the three, widening the attack speed gulf even further.

Speaking of crit mods, the Dragon Nikana and Nikana Prime have much higher crit damage than Galatine's base damage, and a respectable crit chance on top of that. With the standard Blood Rush + Body Count crit build you'll be getting guaranteed or near-guaranteed crits as early as the first combo multiplier, on top of said multiplier, and 1.5 times 190 is a lot more than 1.5 times 125, and that's not even factoring in the DPS increase from Berserker stacks.

The stuff I haven't bolded is personal opinion/preference and has no real bearing on which weapon is objectively better.

6 hours ago, Clem2-TheClemening said:

Nikana Prime has the second highest melee dps in the game. The highest is War during the broken bull combo.

Fun fact, I outscore Nikana P try hards on a regular basis with my Atterax, Scindo P, broken War, etc

1 minute ago, Numbsky1 said:

Fun fact, I outscore Nikana P try hards on a regular basis with my Atterax, Scindo P, broken War, etc

Even with the shadow debt mods, people still ignore the atterax. Which is amazing, since it's one of the best melee weapons in the game, and easily outscores all the meta "top-tier" melee weapons. People who spend their time on WF builder make me laugh.

Meh what everyone else has posted mostly but I never saw the draw of the Nikanas. When I first started my friends wanted me to rush to get them since I love Valkyr and diving in with melee, but when I got the Nikanas it just seemed so slow and clunky compared to the whips I had been using. Hek I still find them clunky and I'm finding myself using the Ack & Brunt because of how fast and fluid it is and only more so the moment it crits and kicks in Berserker which turns me into a whirlwind of death even with my Oberon.

Edited by SilvaDreams
Blasted auto correct

8 hours ago, BaconOnARock said:

can anyone tell me why the nikana is so good? it seems that something like the galatine is a direct upgrade in every way, what advantage does the nikana really have over anything else?

i didnt play final fantasy and other "things" like that, never ever, i need a bit "reality" when i play a good game, oversized swords which nobody could use arent really my favor ... even that im playing in socalled "dreamworlds" i need some reality

and the nikana prime is for shure the best weapon for me that way and i for shure use the whole melee-arsenal

Edited by Guest

For me Nikana Prime can't get even close to Orthos Prime, Jat Kittag or Scindo Prime, because it has so short range.

It may swing faster than the heavies but heavies hit much more enemies with one swing. Heavies also have stances that offer much bigger bonuses than nikana stances.

3 hours ago, Numbsky1 said:

Man's got a point about the Atterax. The build which makes a Nikana Prime into one of the best weapons in the game? Put that same build on an Atterax and what you get isn't a weapon, it's a localised ongoing atrocity.

Spin through a room with a four Forma Atterax and one of those savage Midwest tornadoes which kills a hundred farmers will get an ache in its heart telling it that its daddy has finally come home.

2 minutes ago, NekroArts said:

Basically from all the post to this point, it's preference.

Mostly? In terms of pure numbers, the Galatine outperforms the base Nikana by a country mile, and does better than the Dragon Nikana too. The Nikana Prime, properly modded and used well, will outperform the Galatine by a small but noticeable margin.

The Atterax is secretly better than all of them. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

10 hours ago, ranks21 said:

galatine holds up better than any of the nikanas primed or other wise don't let the stats fool you.

galatine also has great cc with the slam in its combos + its a multihit weapon.

nikana benefits from channeling while galatine doesn't need it

galatine keeps up the combo meter  and will get the multiplier higher than nikanas quicker.

Galatine also has an attack speed so slow, you'd be lucky to survive spooling up you berserker combo before those two bombards ask you to bend over.

35 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Man's got a point about the Atterax. The build which makes a Nikana Prime into one of the best weapons in the game? Put that same build on an Atterax and what you get isn't a weapon, it's a localised ongoing atrocity.

Spin through a room with a four Forma Atterax and one of those savage Midwest tornadoes which kills a hundred farmers will get an ache in its heart telling it that its daddy has finally come home.

The visual design of the Atterax just puts me off. I would have preferred the blades to form the whip itself, like a centipede. Instead its a fishing line with a bladed soda can attached to the end.

Edited by Alma_Elma

1 minute ago, Alma_Elma said:

The visual design of the Atterax just puts me off. I would have preferred the blades to form the whip itself, like a centipede. Instead its a fishing line with a brick attached to the end.

It's more of a flexible cable with multiple metal weed whacker blades on it.... That work.

32 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

It's like a nuke AoE contained in a melee weapon...

Hek, it barely even qualifies as a melee weapon. Melee weapons aren't supposed to cut people into little bits from 17 meters away...

Just now, Alma_Elma said:

The visual design of the Atterax just puts me off. I would have preferred the blades to form the whip itself, like a centipede. Instead its a fishing line with a brick attached to the end.

No no, you've got it all wrong. It's obviously a curling iron, being swung by it's cord. The grineer have some crazy hair; it's why they always wear those helmets.

4 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

No no, you've got it all wrong. It's obviously a curling iron, being swung by it's cord. The grineer have some crazy hair; it's why they always wear those helmets.

But the Grineer are either bald or have buzzcuts for hair....you know what that might explain the hair in the first place.

Edited by Alma_Elma

Am I the only one who finds katanas totally whack?

I mean a real katana sucks when fighting heavy armor, has to be oiled, loved and maintained all day to not get rusty and then takes ages to forge.

10 hours ago, Drag0nChaser said:

What he said, im still waiting for a hussar blade, people like it due to what this man said compared to our own cool European history.
This blade was forged arround 16th century when the Polish-commonwealth had its own empire approx. occupying half of central/east europe and was being invaded from 3-4 empires at the same time. The secret of their succes was simple, in the middle ages empires mass produced swords and they broke often while the Commonwealth outsourced all their swords to india and had thousands of smiths working for a decade on each sword. Now most countries decided to craft swords in shorter amounts of time and of less quality, this empire decided to not cut down on blade costs and instead outsource as much needed to proffesional smiths in india which have been revered as one of the best smiths in the world for as long as history can remember.

Some of the battle numbers were insane: 1800 hussars vs 30.000 ottomans with only 15 cassualties on hussar side and total anhilation on ottoman side.
I just wanted to leave my story here as i feel allot of youngsters rather appreciate this foreign Japanese cult, but dont realise we in the EU and USA had our own heroes and prestiges we can be proud off.

big_PA261053.JPG?lm=1418136914

Reveal hidden contents

heavy_polish_winged_hussars_by_cg_zander

That's rather a matter of strategy I think, good swords don't win wars. Tactics and training do (Also the winners always write history, I would not blindly believe such numbers). It would be nice to get some other stuff than the japanese cliché weapons that have become quite generic in the last years, though. The world has more epic stuff to offer than what we see all day.

6 minutes ago, Genoscythe said:

Am I the only one who finds katanas totally whack?

I mean a real katana sucks when fighting heavy armor, has to be oiled, loved and maintained all day to not get rusty and then takes ages to forge.

Pretend its an HF blade. How swords in warframe in general still cut through slabs of solid ferrite, despite edged swords generally being weak against armored plates, now makes a bit more sense.

Edited by Alma_Elma