Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

tips for new player

KouKayne

Question

hi, im new

i started this game some months ago, never got too much into it, but its not bad actually, so i got back just recently.

in the beginning i chose a bow, its quite my style but in some game modes it just seems impossible to do well with a bow, am i wrong ?

btw i was looking at the wiki and wrote all the mats i need etc for some things id like to get (they are so very far.. i guess the orokin tower would be the void, so i need the Keys that drops randomly here and there to have chances to get mats and blueprints):

paris prime, synoid gammacor, Orthos Prime, prisma duel cleavers, and a shotgun, but dunno which one, since the "op" one seems to be removed from the game, from what the wiki says (but luckily Yesterday they put it on sale for 50€... not happening)

questions:

should i get the "lower tier" weapons before looking for the ultimate ones ? honestly the damage dont seems to change that much to make a change (maybe am wrong)

would it be "wise" to get stalker's bow, dread, even if i think paris prime is better ?

which obtainable endgame shotgun would you point me to ? Kohm ?

i was looking at warframes, and honestly the starting one is pretty good (maybe except specials), which one would i look at for a sharpshooter? or it doesnt really matter much and i should just use different WFs for different game modes ?

thanks for the help

14 answers to this question

1. If you get skilled enough, you can use a bow extremely well in general combat. It just takes a bit of effort.
  2. Personally, I would disregard any concept of "lower tier weapons vs higher tier weapons". The vast majority of weapons can be used very effectively for the entirety of the game, and as such you should probably focus on getting whatever looks cool or fun to use rather than what is considered "meta". Of course, if you are hellbent on it, there's nothing wrong with getting "lower tier" stuff before "higher tier" stuff.
  3. Stalker's gear is a good investment, if you have the time. As the Stalker randomly appears once you have killed a boss, he can't really be farmed unless you invest in a lot of his beacons, which you can get from the Void Trader in the Relays.
  4. There are many good shotguns in Warframe. The Tigris / Sancti Tigris are popular, but the Kohm, Boar Prime, Hek, and Vaykor Hek are also fantastic in the right hands.

First of all, get all the weapons and frames. It's for mastery ranks and for better look. About your skill with bows, it's something that you will get better at with time and practice, don't worry about it.
Now for your questions:

1. Yes and no. Just pick a weapon and go with it. Those that have a prime versions, I recommand getting the regualr one first, rank it to 30 and sell it. You won't need is when you have a better version.

2. It's not about a wise choice but a taste. There is no such thing as a "better weapon", only "most suited". I recommand at least getting the Dread for the mastery rank. I personally like the Rakta Cernos more.

3. Sancti Tigris and Vaykor Hek for shotguns. The regualr versions are also amazing. The Khom is ok, if you like automatic weapons.

4. Mesa is the sharpshooter frame. You farm her from Mutalist Alad-V which you need to complete the Patience Zero questline to get the blueprint for a key that unlocks it. You get this quest from the market.

Edited by CommanderSpawn

• In my opinion, yes you should get the lower tier weapons before getting the meta, because if you do get the meta everything else in the game will look awfully underpowered unless you invest a lot on it, and that way you'll learn how to play the game.
  • It would be wise to use both and then decide by yourself. Some like puncture, some like slash. Some like status, some like crit. I'd say test both of them as they're (relatively) easy to get, and both pretty good. You may even like them both.
  • For shotguns, Kohm, Tigris, Hek, Boar Prime, and Sobek are all great.
  • There's no big gameplay difference between warframes except the style that the powers dictate you to adopt. I'd say the warframe that gives the sharpshooter/gunslinger feeling the most as of now is Mesa. 

EDIT: Also, as a general tip I usually give to all new players, don't farm. Play for fun, try out the most you can, and don't put that single one thing that you want in your mind, trying to get it for days. Make the grind fun and it won't be grind anymore.

Edited by TheScytale

first of all thanks for the replyes

well, in some modes using the bow is really difficult to me, and i've been an archer like forever, but where are too many monsters i just have to go melee, do y ou think it ll be different with better mods/bow?

also theres a thing i dont get about Syndicates, can i "rank up" with every kind or just one ?

56 minutes ago, KouKayne said:

hi, im new

i started this game some months ago, never got too much into it, but its not bad actually, so i got back just recently.

in the beginning i chose a bow, its quite my style but in some game modes it just seems impossible to do well with a bow, am i wrong ?

btw i was looking at the wiki and wrote all the mats i need etc for some things id like to get (they are so very far.. i guess the orokin tower would be the void, so i need the Keys that drops randomly here and there to have chances to get mats and blueprints):

paris prime, synoid gammacor, Orthos Prime, prisma duel cleavers, and a shotgun, but dunno which one, since the "op" one seems to be removed from the game, from what the wiki says (but luckily Yesterday they put it on sale for 50€... not happening)

questions:

should i get the "lower tier" weapons before looking for the ultimate ones ? honestly the damage dont seems to change that much to make a change (maybe am wrong)

would it be "wise" to get stalker's bow, dread, even if i think paris prime is better ?

i was looking at warframes, and honestly the starting one is pretty good (maybe except specials), which one would i look at for a sharpshooter? or it doesnt really matter much and i should just use different WFs for different game modes ?

thanks for the help

Bows have the advantage of being silent and they do very high damage + the good ones have a lot of crit. If you want to kill a lot of enemies quickly a bow generally won't be the best way to go.
The 2 best bows are the rakta cernos and the dread. Rakta cernos has the advantage that you can draw it quickly, so you save a mod slot where you would have a speed trigger on other bows. The dread has extremely high crit. It also has slash damage, which combined with a pretty high satus chance results in a lot of damage, because of the procs. The paris prime has similar crit stats, but it can't keep up with the slash damage and its procs.

I don't know what you are using at the moment, but you should probably try to get your hands on some of the good early game weapons.
For melee you might want to use something you already have a stance for. Stances can increase your melee damage by a lot and they give you extra mod capacity. I used the regular orthos for a long time. I've also heard good things about the tipedo.
For primaries the zhuge is a really good weapon that you can get quickly. It has good crit stats and status chance. It's a bow, so it gets twice as much fire rate from mods. Downsides are that it is not a hitscan weapon and that it has very bad recoil (which you might want to mitigate using a mod) I used the boltor for a long time. The hek and tigris are very good shotguns at the start. Their syndicate versions are among the best shotguns in the game. The hek also has a syndicate mod, which lets it keep up with the best weapons in game. 
And then for secondaries I would recommend getting a staticor at some point. You can use it in basically every situation. It has AoE, you can fire fast with it(with the correct mod setup) and the damage combined with the status chance makes it scale well into later levels. For the start the lex should be a good gun and you can just buy it with credits.
Overall just try out whatever you can get your hands on and find out what works for you.

When it comes to warframes Rhino is very good at the start and you can also take him very far with the correct mods. Other than that just get the warframes you find interesting. Of course you want some different warframes for different game modes, but you can pretty much make all of them work. The main advantage of Rhino is that he probably needs mods the least out of all the warframes.

1: Weapon tiers in this game really don't mean much.  Personally, I say use whatever you think looks good, and if you think it isn't powerful enough, try something else.

2: Again, this doesn't really matter.  Personally, I keep both of these bows on hand, because I enjoy using both of them.  Keep in mind that in addition to dealing different damage types, the two weapons behave slightly differently.  One of them (I think Dread but I can't remember for sure) has a higher projectile speed and less drop.  If you want a definate answer, I'll leave you with this:if you fight mostly Grineer use Paris Prime, but if you fight mostly Infested and/or Corpus, use Dread.

3: I've never used it, but My cousin complains regularly about the Kohm, so I tend to assume it is sub-par, I could easily be wrong though. Personally, I would say either the Tigris or the Hek for an end-game shotgun, especially if you can get their Syndicate counterparts. The boar/Boar Prime is also really fun to use.

4: The starting 'Frames are pretty good, any one of them (especially Excalibur) can easily last you through end-game.  As for your actual question, what do you mean by "sharpshooter?"  Mesa is technically classified as the "sharpshooter 'Frame," in that her powers revolve around the use of guns (or rather, ranged weapons in general),  But given how you arranged that question, I'm not sure that's necessarily what you mean.

EDIT: in answer to your new questions:

5: Using bows in Warframe is really more of a skill thing than anything else.  For example, I can effectively use a bow at close range, but that is the result of quite a bit of practice.  Bows can get several kills with a single arrow, the key is to line up several enemies one behind the other.

6: In theory, you could rank up with five out of the six syndicates, but it is very difficult, and few players are willing to go to that much trouble.  Personally, I just go with three.  If you go here and open the "Supporting Efficiency List" it will show you haw to rank up in four or five syndicates.

Edited by xXRampantXx

1 hour ago, KouKayne said:

so trying to go cephalon suda (synoid), red veil (cernos), new loka (tigris) looks like overkill, since the first two are opposed..

Don't worry too much about which syndicates.  You can switch at any point (adds rep grind though) and there are combinations that can support 3 or 4 at the same time.  That slows you down though so starting with one pair and adding others later is the way to go.

Personal opinion is that Steel Meridian / Red Veil is the best pair for a new player.  All four weapons are outstanding and the weapon mods include some of the best (Hek and Cleavers). 

With Hexis and Suda I really only like the simulor, the other three weapons are decent but not exciting.  Same with Loka and Perrin where I only like the Tigris.  Getting the two weapons isn't that hard in trading.

3 hours ago, KouKayne said:

The earliest available endgame shotgun is the Hek.  Although what really boosts it to endgame levels is the scattered justice augment mod available from Steel Meridian.  Even without that though a simple catalyst and the thing will wreck anything on the star chart.  By the time you need an endgame shotgun you can get your hands on the mod.

The Sancti Tigris is locked to MR12 as is the Vaykor Hek.  The Strun wraith isn't easily  available in the game, but that's another good one.

The other shotguns, Boar Prime and Kohm and Sobek, are not endgame worthy IMO.

Edited by (PS4)Agent_CHAR

6 hours ago, KouKayne said:

so trying to go cephalon suda (synoid), red veil (cernos), new loka (tigris) looks like overkill, since the first two are opposed..

The weapons from syndicates are tradable, as are the mods (called augments). You can for example get yourself a Sancti Tigris, then get a second one and trade it for a Synoid Simulor. Or just buy it with plat. 

The only decisive thing in choosing syndicates are the sigils, syandanas, and restores (and the ideologies, if you care about that). Everything else can be traded.

11 hours ago, KouKayne said:

As a bow connoisseur, I recommend to Get That Bow, Shoot That Bow, Love That Bow.  That would be the Dread.  :D  Everything else was better said by PsychedelicSnake.

11 hours ago, PsychedelicSnake said:
  1. If you get skilled enough, you can use a bow extremely well in general combat. It just takes a bit of effort.
  2. Personally, I would disregard any concept of "lower tier weapons vs higher tier weapons". The vast majority of weapons can be used very effectively for the entirety of the game, and as such you should probably focus on getting whatever looks cool or fun to use rather than what is considered "meta". Of course, if you are hellbent on it, there's nothing wrong with getting "lower tier" stuff before "higher tier" stuff.
  3. Stalker's gear is a good investment, if you have the time. As the Stalker randomly appears once you have killed a boss, he can't really be farmed unless you invest in a lot of his beacons, which you can get from the Void Trader in the Relays.
  4. There are many good shotguns in Warframe. The Tigris / Sancti Tigris are popular, but the Kohm, Boar Prime, Hek, and Vaykor Hek are also fantastic in the right hands.

Then depending on your Mastery Rank, get the Rakta Cernos as your bow of choice and never look back again.  

16 hours ago, KouKayne said:

questions:

• Although pretty equal they have slight differences, so picking the upgrade version of a weapon might be a better thing to do. eg. Rakta Cernos requires you to me MR12 which takes quite a while to get, so you might be better off using different bow for now.
  • Dread is pretty common drop from stalker. In addition Dread is slightly better based on my experience with serious tesing. Also, your bow wouldn't look like a toilet seat or sound like a miniature robot sneezing, if you used Dread.
  • About shotguns - I'd suggest getting Hek while you can't get to Vaykor Hek, because both are great. Sobek is a good one to get if you can get your hands on Acid Shells, Boar Prime is alright, Sancti Tigris might also take a while to get. Kohm is alright. But then again, you would probably be fine even with MK-1s.
  • Some warframes are better at some things other warframes are better at other things. But if it is fun you're looking for, then I'd go with Radial Blind Excal, Ivara, Loki maybe bastille Vauban or even Frost for target practice.

About shotguns: Get several. Get Hek and Tigris at least, but also get drakgoon and Kohm, maybe Sobek and Boar as well - And try them all out. They are all very different in how they handle, Tigris being the "most demanding" with it's doubleshot fire, Drakgoon being a bit awkward at first but very flexible with it's adjusting spread and bouncing flak, and so on. When you find which one you like, either get an upgraded version (boar prime, Sancti tigris, Vaykor Hek) or put forma into it (kohm, Drakgoon) to get the most bang out of your gun.

Personally, I love my Drakgoon. It doesn't deal as much damage as Tigris or Sancti tigris, nor does it have the syndicate proc of (Vaykor) Hek, but it has longer range than other shotguns (no damage fall-off) at the cost of not being a hit-scan weapon (but the fligth speed of it's projectiles is really quick with the Kela mod), but is a lot more flexible because you can pump a hallway full of bouncing flak in a pinch to deal with a crowd, or tighten the spread to snipe enemies from 40-60 meters away, dealing damage that is second only to tigris. Not to mention the innate punch-through.

Though, you'll need a fire rate mod for it, or else the "tighten the spread" is really slow.
As a side-note, Boar is a really good weapon for several Mastery Rank tests - large clip and an okay spread makes shooting targets/target enemies really easy.