Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Titania and Oberen referencing literature?

360Broscoper

If anyone has ever read Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream," they would know that Titania and Oberon are the king and queen fairies with their marriage under turmoil. Perhaps the devs did that on purpose to make a bit of lore referencing Shakespeare, with both frames being uneasy around each other? It's a bit of a long shot, considering that nobody reads these days.

The names did Come from the play.  There was a guy here last week complaining that Titania was from the Fairy Tail anime which I thought was pretty funny.... I mean there's no way they're going to make a Warframe as good as Erza Scarlet it would just be to OP...

Edited by (PS4)Eluminary

20 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

The name Titania was decided on by the Design Council regrettably. 

Even the majority of non DC members wanted it. 

Tbh the other choices weren't good. I judge frame names based on how they'd be said out loud. Titania sounds fine. No need to be all "ew its from a reference" cause most of this games names are references lol. 

20 minutes ago, (PS4)Eluminary said:

The names did Come from the play.  There was a guy here last week complaining that Titania was from the Fairy Tail anime which I thought was pretty funny.... I mean there's no way they're going to make a Warframe as good as Erza Scarlet it would just be to OP...

Rather have an Alucard frame.  

3 hours ago, 360Broscoper said:

It's a bit of a long shot, considering that nobody reads these days.

I'd have to disagree with that ? lol. Had to read to comment.

Joke aside, I wondered where DE Came up with the name Oberon a while ago.  unfortunately I have not been able to watch dev streams from LONG ago, had to work.

Edited by Btabc

1 minute ago, Vesiga said:

Vampire frame is Trinity, BUUUT wouldnt hurt to have a male Vampire themed too with offensive abilities instead of support

Trinity being a vampire? no.. no no no. if we going for a true female one we go like Seras, from Hellsing. because well there is a lot of cool things they could do.

9 minutes ago, PsychedelicSnake said:

I'd argue Inaros is the vampire frame. Just replace the sand with blood and he functions pretty much the same.

You got a point there,  even though he is a mummy. A male vampire would pretty much work just like inaros in a way. 

9 minutes ago, (XB1)Solargeo said:

Trinity being a vampire? no.. no no no. if we going for a true female one we go like Seras, from Hellsing. because well there is a lot of cool things they could do.

Well thats just how it is, Trinity's theme was meant to be a vampire. Even with her 2 abil being called Energy Leech, and one of her augments is Vampire Leech

11 minutes ago, Vesiga said:

Even the majority of non DC members wanted it. 

Tbh the other choices weren't good. I judge frame names based on how they'd be said out loud. Titania sounds fine. No need to be all "ew its from a reference" cause most of this games names are references lol. 

Eh, I suggested Fay (or Fae) and got really attached to the idea. It's an abbreviation for Faerie, and - just like Mag for Magnet - it's a beautiful name for a woman. 

With Oberon in the game, Titania is just so obvious. I wouldn't have a problem with it if Oberon wasn't already in. People have already come to expect some kind of relationship between the two, mechanically and/or visually.

2 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

Eh, I suggested Fay (or Fae) and got really attached to the idea. It's an abbreviation for Faerie, and - just like Mag for Magnet - it's a beautiful name for a woman. 

With Oberon in the game, Titania is just so obvious. I wouldn't have a problem with it if Oberon wasn't already in. People have already come to expect some kind of relationship between the two, mechanically and/or visually.

I'd be okay with Fae, tbh

and the whole "relationship thing" ehh just let role players role play. As long as they don't try to force it on me, idc 
I have however seen a thread on asking for "hug" emotes... lol

Edited by Vesiga

41 minutes ago, PsychedelicSnake said:

Still waiting for my Puck frame. His 4th is breaking the fourth wall and talking about how he's necessary for the story to remain lighthearted.

Oh my god, this is the best idea since the ember passive. Good to hear that people still read classics

Just now, Roboplus said:

The abbreviation for Titania will be what?

That's why I didn't want it. Literally would have taken anything else from the list.

By the way, I've posted it before but here's the list.

Untitled_zpsldmbuvnj.png

I don't have anything against her name, I think it's just cool that maybe it could have been a reference to Shakespeare and maybe there could be lore involved

7 minutes ago, 360Broscoper said:

I don't have anything against her name, I think it's just cool that maybe it could have been a reference to Shakespeare and maybe there could be lore involved

It is a reference to Shakespeare, I mean it's a faerie frame named Titania...

1 hour ago, 360Broscoper said:

If anyone has ever read Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream," they would know that Titania and Oberon are the king and queen fairies with their marriage under turmoil. Perhaps the devs did that on purpose to make a bit of lore referencing Shakespeare, with both frames being uneasy around each other? It's a bit of a long shot, considering that nobody reads these days.

Titania iz an clare refirence tu Fairy Tail. One ov da protagunist's (Ezra Scarlet) haz da nickname "Titania." Fairy Tail iz an soupier literature comparid to An Mudsimmer Nught'z Drim. I recommind you chuck Fairy Tail out and sea all da references to "Titania." Az fur Oberon, he iz an clare refirence to Sword Art Online, where an antagonist (Sugou Nobuyuki) takis tha name if "Oberon." I also recommind you chuck this out, it iz an exceptional.

(Note) - Sarcasm, don't take this seriously.

Just now, ayeStabZ said:

Titania iz an clare refirence tu Fairy Tail. One ov da protagunist's (Ezra Scarlet) haz da nickname "Titania." Fairy Tail iz an soupier literature comparid to An Mudsimmer Nught'z Drim. I recommind you chuck Fairy Tail out and sea all da references to "Titania." Az fur Oberon, he iz an clare refirence to Sword Art Online, where an antagonist (Sugou Nobuyuki) takis tha name if "Oberon." I also recommind you chuck this out, it iz an exceptional.

(Note) - Sarcasm, don't take this seriously.

LOL. This made me laugh.

1 hour ago, Vesiga said:

Tbh the other choices weren't good. I judge frame names based on how they'd be said out loud. Titania sounds fine.

That part I have to disagree with, I feel the first few syllables just don't flow well, especially compared to some of the other suggestions, like Aurai, Cyrene, or Edain.  I don't like the feel the hard sounds of the T's provide when I try to apply the name to a fairy.

Also, this is extremely nitpicky and entirely personal but the first three things the name conjures to mind for me is Titanium (element), Titanite (Dark Souls), Titans (Mythology), and only after that does it remind me of Shakespeare.  It makes me think of strong, heavy things, which contrasts with the frame's theme.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, the decision was already made, I just want my thoughts put out there.