Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tonkor feels like a joke. What's the secret?

PeggleFrank

Question

I just built a Tonkor, and the first thing I noticed is that the accuracy is abysmal. The projectiles take forever to fly. They take an extremely long time to explode. They can and often do miss enemies entirely, usually brushing past them due to random movement or through their legs. There are only two shots in a clip, the fire rate is slow, and the reload times are very long. Blast radius is decent, but still not great considering the projectile will usually either hit or miss with almost no chance of bouncing back or exploding near the target if it misses.

Damage is obviously irrelevant, as I haven't put any mods on it, but the general handling of the weapon is just awful. I didn't question the Tonkor's power before, but now that I have a chance to use it myself, it feels like a near-useless weapon that's been proclaimed OP as a joke by the community and I just haven't realized it yet.

If there's something wrong with how I'm using the weapon, I recorded a short session of me trying to hit things with it. Hopefully someone can lend some tips on how to use it, but I can't imagine what kinds of tips would be useful to me.

Is there something I'm missing? What secret combination of mods are required to turn this almost impossible to use weapon into a high-damage beast? I've used the Cernos long enough to be able to get extremely good accuracy even at the longest ranges, despite missing a lot of shots when I first got it, but I just can't see myself getting more than 50% accuracy with this weapon.

I'm not going to turn my sensitivity down. I have perfectly good accuracy with every other weapon I've used before, so changing my sensitivity every time I equip the Tonkor is silly.

Just now, KJRenz said:

Getting good at the Arc travel. That's all

If the enemy is moving in one direction at a constant speed, then I can account for that as I get better with the weapon. However, when the enemy is randomly moving (as all enemies have a tendency to do), it becomes just about impossible to do that. The longer the distance between me and the enemy, the higher the chance that the enemy starts moving in a different direction before the projectile hits.

1 minute ago, BlazerEraser said:

Who needs accuracy, get close and boom.

Good point. Maybe I should be treating it more like a shotgun and less like a rifle.

6 minutes ago, PeggleFrank said:

I just built a Tonkor, and the first thing I noticed is that the accuracy is abysmal. The projectiles take forever to fly. They take an extremely long time to explode. They can and often do miss enemies entirely, usually brushing past them due to random movement or through their legs. There are only two shots in a clip, the fire rate is slow, and the reload times are very long. Blast radius is decent, but still not great considering the projectile will usually either hit or miss with almost no chance of bouncing back or exploding near the target if it misses.

Damage is obviously irrelevant, as I haven't put any mods on it, but the general handling of the weapon is just awful. I didn't question the Tonkor's power before, but now that I have a chance to use it myself, it feels like a near-useless weapon that's been proclaimed OP as a joke by the community and I just haven't realized it yet.

If there's something wrong with how I'm using the weapon, I recorded a short session of me trying to hit things with it. Hopefully someone can lend some tips on how to use it, but I can't imagine what kinds of tips would be useful to me.

Is there something I'm missing? What secret combination of mods are required to turn this almost impossible to use weapon into a high-damage beast? I've used the Cernos long enough to be able to get extremely good accuracy even at the longest ranges, despite missing a lot of shots when I first got it, but I just can't see myself getting more than 50% accuracy with this weapon.

I'm not going to turn my sensitivity down. I have perfectly good accuracy with every other weapon I've used before, so changing my sensitivity every time I equip the Tonkor is silly.

The Tonkors my fave weapon atm and its just because your not used to it once you get good with it then your basically untouchable took me a while to get used to it 

You are going to hate the tonkor for its accuracy most of the time, but you wouldn't care at all when you start clearing rooms full of mobs with it. You just have to be used to the trajectory of the grenades. Better yet, use the weapon at point blank range.

The usual mods to use are Serration, Split Chamber, Vital Sense, Point Strike and two element mods. It's up to you on what you would want to put in the extra 2 slots. You'll have to shove several formas in though.

Most people put Split Chamber on it and just spam it.  It's easy to get more ammo for it when it kills in one hit, so spam to your heart's content.

You're also aiming kind of weird and off to their side a lot.  It has a pretty generous hurtbox, just aim for center of mass and lead them a little, not for their head or above them.

It's not an accurate weapon. It's a launcher with high damage and crit that does minimal self damage.

...It's a boomstick.

You'll see when you get it appropriately modded. Regardless of what else can be said about it, it is very effective presently. 

Just an fyi before you start plugging forma...  The question of whether it should be nerfed is being weighed by DE.

I personally don't like the weapon but ymmv.

6 minutes ago, DiePainPain said:

i did this some time ago before patch at Hieracon. I use Frost with chiling globe, mobs easier to shoot at when in range. The build is at the end of video

The accuracy doesn't look much better than mine, although it's definitely better by at least a noticeable margin. I'm about halfway into the video and about half of the shots miss completely. Accuracy against flying enemies is even lower. It feels like my secondary might be necessary to take out enemies at range, but the time it takes to holster my primary makes that a bit difficult.

21 minutes ago, ArcusVeles said:

Most people put Split Chamber on it and just spam it.  It's easy to get more ammo for it when it kills in one hit, so spam to your heart's content.

You're also aiming kind of weird and off to their side a lot.  It has a pretty generous hurtbox, just aim for center of mass and lead them a little, not for their head or above them.

This is a good catch, and might be why my accuracy is so bad. I'm used to always aiming for headshots from my time spent with the Cernos, but with the Tonkor it's completely unnecessary. I'll have to try this, thanks.

20 minutes ago, Xennocide420 said:

loss_for_words.gif

Mods won't help much. I don't want to waste an entire slot on something like Terminal Velocity. The damage is something I expect to shoot up massively once it's properly modded, but the only thing that might slightly improve accuracy while also increasing DPS significantly is multishot, so I don't have a lot to work with when it comes to increasing accuracy.

Tonkor is my single best primary, outperforming all other weapons I have by far. What you should try is to slap multishot, and try to get Magnetic AND Viral on it (It is most definitely possible), and you'll utterly annihilate enemies. I would suggest aiming for enemies, use aim assist if need be, and you'll make it rain corpses. Even if you miss, the ones that lay on the floor usually clean out the next wave of enemies fast. do NOT underestimate the blast radius.

17 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

It's not an accurate weapon. It's a launcher with high damage and crit that does minimal self damage.

...It's a boomstick.

You'll see when you get it appropriately modded. Regardless of what else can be said about it, it is very effective presently. 

Just an fyi before you start plugging forma...  The question of whether it should be nerfed is being weighed by DE.

I personally don't like the weapon but ymmv.

Honestly take 20-30% off the base damage and critical multiplier and its more than likely still a top tier weapon.
Roughly 200k-500k+ (not including enemy resistance and weakness) a shot w/ what seems like a 5m blast radius depending on the build. Hell with the advent of Bladed Rounds they practically buffed it, and now we have a cat that confirms red crits for it for a period.

(ex: Serration, Heavy Caliber/Argon Scope(meh), Split Chamber, 90% Element x2, Vital Sense, Point Strike, Bladed Rounds.)
w/o Argon, crit is 87% which is functional damage is roughly over 40,000 x 7.5x (with split) at least before weakness and resist.
Enjoy running around for over 30mins+ 1 shotting multiple things

Edited by (XB1)Tsukizero

Are you kidding or serious ?

46 minutes ago, PeggleFrank said:

it feels like a near-useless weapon that's been proclaimed OP as a joke by the community and I just haven't realized it yet.

This is a joke right ?

The weapon is awful to aim but deal so much damage it render most of the other weapon totally useless compared to it (unless against nulifiers obviously)

And it's an AOE.

The weapon isn't proclaimed OP as a joke, it IS OP.

Put just basic damage + crit chance + crit damage, just these 3 mods, and you can probably do the whole star map with it.

From the video, it looks like more of a you problem than a Tonkor problem. Multiple times there were enemies that weren't even moving but you'd fire when your crosshair wasn't on them or was right on the edge of them.

Practice is therefore all I can suggest.

4 minutes ago, Punisher106 said:

Tonkor is my single best primary, outperforming all other weapons I have by far. What you should try is to slap multishot, and try to get Magnetic AND Viral on it (It is most definitely possible)

Tonkor is everyone's best primary.

I'm also pretty certain Magnetic and Viral isn't possible on the Tonkor. Both require cold damage thereby only creating one combo. Any other effects that add cold damage will just increase the damage of the first combo, be it Magnetic or Viral.

If you know of a way of getting them both then please share.

52 minutes ago, PeggleFrank said:

the first thing I noticed is that the accuracy is abysmal.

The secret is lots and lots of forma.  Get that crit % over 100.  After that use a frame that can CC and/or group enemies together.  Get close (the only and best reason to use tonkor) and point blank destroy.  Practice your aim, it has a drastic arc, have you played vauban?  His ball throwing has the same crappy arc throw.  Its like you're throwing as a 3 year old girl (or boy, not sexist).

As for the aiming, give ivara a try, her 2nd ability renders accuracy and aim obsolete.  Using it with no mods no catalyst and not knowing how to manipulate the launching part of a launcher weapon is going to obscure your view of this weapon.  It is well worth every forma (most do 6) and a potato.

Although I'm an avid supporter of nerfing the crap out of it and giving it appropriate self damage, I will confess it is a total powerhouse once used properly and with practice.

Good luck.

Edited by Xekrin

Accuracy gets worse with my build lol. But honestly watching how you work with the arc is the most important thing. Either that or just spam away with shots. You usually won't run out of ammo any time soon.

Though what you should be doing is leveling it up as soon as possible and formaing it about 6 times. After that it becomes a one hit gun basically. You need 4 madurai 1 vazarin and 1 naramon for obvious reasons soon to come.

My build is probably not what everyone uses completely. But I uses this Allows you to use any elemental setup you want just by switching hammershot into the vazarin polarized slot and use two 11 drain rank elemental mods like stormbringer etc

2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

From the video, it looks like more of a you problem than a Tonkor problem. Multiple times there were enemies that weren't even moving but you'd fire when your crosshair wasn't on them or was right on the edge of them.

Practice is therefore all I can suggest.

Tonkor is everyone's best primary.

I'm also pretty certain Magnetic and Viral isn't possible on the Tonkor. Both require cold damage thereby only creating one combo. Any other effects that add cold damage will just increase the damage of the first combo, be it Magnetic or Viral.

If you know of a way of getting them both then please share.

You're not capablbe at all. you can only really use one elemental combo at once at best alongside with the innate blast.

Edited by Cmdr-A

It's a @(*()$ grenade launcher with the ability to red crit

4 minutes ago, Trichouette said:

The weapon isn't proclaimed OP as a joke, it IS OP.

Put just basic damage + crit chance + crit damage, just these 3 mods, and you can probably do the whole star map with it.

Tonkor was stealth nerfed.... I just ran sortie today and never had problems 1 shotting everything and even as mirage with tonkor these bombards were taking 3 shots of red crit to the damn face. Oh, and Op.... you need to get better at aim adjustment. Its not something you do.. it is something learned... a skill.... GL.

where argon scope+heavy cal? dis nub here ^

edit: tweaking of tonkor has been done in thousands of videos and reddit posts. There is a post where a mathematician shows why two elements on tonkor is not as effective as Heavycal+Argon scope using single element for top DPS. (not burst)

Edited by GothicNightmares

1 minute ago, Souldend78 said:

Nope

Nope what?  Obviously you can mod it without forma just like any weapon.  Yes it would be good enough for most content, since its already OP but who wan'ts a mediocre OP weapon?

Why would even waste time saying 'Nope' like it isn't standard practice to put a potato and 6 forma into the thing?

But thanks for the obvious no muss build, I'm sure someone appreciates it.  Though it doesn't invalidate my post like, at all.

Just now, Xekrin said:

Nope what?  Obviously you can mod it without forma just like any weapon.  Yes it would be good enough for most content, since its already OP but who wan'ts a mediocre OP weapon?

Why would even waste time saying 'Nope' like it isn't standard practice to put a potato and 6 forma into the thing?

But thanks for the obvious no muss build, I'm sure someone appreciates it.  Though it doesn't invalidate my post like, at all.

Sorry I stated the obvious, too bad, you could had done the same instead of stating the obvious as well.

13 minutes ago, (XB1)Tsukizero said:

Honestly take 20-30% off the base damage and critical multiplier and its more than likely still a top tier weapon.
Roughly 200k-500k+ (not including enemy resistance and weakness) a shot w/ what seems like a 5m blast radius depending on the build. Hell with the advent of Bladed Rounds they practically buffed it, and now we have a cat that confirms red crits for it for a period.

(ex: Serration, Heavy Caliber/Argon Scope(meh), Split Chamber, 90% Element x2, Vital Sense, Point Strike, Bladed Rounds.)
w/o Argon, crit is 87% which is functional damage is roughly over 40,000 x 7.5x (with split) at least before weakness and resist.
Enjoy running around for over 30mins+ 1 shotting multiple things

Probably true. I don't keep up with the Tonkor so much as I have no relevant interest in it.

That said, if I had an interest... I'd want to, at least, know that the item was on the block for changes before I plugged time, energy, and Forma into it.

If DE does decide to nerf it, we both know that there is no telling how hard they will actually decide to nerf it.