Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon: New Improvements; Same Theme

BlackCoMerc

Oberon does not need a major overhaul. Some people disagree, often claiming that Oberon is a jack of all trades but a Master of None. This is, in their mind, his weakness. Almost everything Oberon does, another frame does better.

Need healing? Why not just play Trinity? How about Crowd Control? Or Damage? Pick any number of other frames. All of them do what Oberon does, only better.

Those people are right. Everything Oberon does, another frame does better.

And that's okay. 

Because while those frames might deal damage, or provide CC or healing better than Oberon...none of them do ALL of those things at the same time. This is Oberon's attraction. While he has neither the greatest CC nor healing nor damage...what he does have, is all of those things, in one frame, at the same time.

So lets see how we can tweak him and provide an Quality of Life update to make him just a little more on par with modern frames:

=======================

Oberon - The Druidic Paladin

=======================

Aura Polarity: V

Armor: 400

Shields: 50

Health: 100

Power: 150

Passive: Wildlife is friendly to Oberon. Animal companions receive an additional 25% Health, Shields and Armor, and deal an additional 25% damage.

Oberon is a melee oriented Druid/Paladin hybrid. So we keep the V aura slot, for Steel Charge. Then, we not only make wildlife friendly to him, as now, but he also buffs animals companions at all times. Druids have animal companions; this is an area where he should stand head and shoulders above others.

+++++++++++

Abilities

+++++++++++

1. Smite: Really good. Its a keeper, with a couple of changes

Cost: 25

Damage: 500 Impact/Radiation damage, with a 100% Proc chance. Enemies hit suffer a knockdown. Instead of homing projectiles, Smite is now given a small AoE radius on impact, and all enemies within the radius are hit and radiated. Confusion duration is not affected by Duration mods.

Augment - Smite Infusion: Casting Smite on allies infuses their attacks with Radiation. While channeling, Oberon infuses Melee attacks with Smite. Enemies hit with Channeled melee attacks are affected just as if they were hit by a cast of Smite. 

2. Hallowed Ground:

Cost: 50 Energy

Hallowed ground becomes a circular field that widens with Range mods. Enemies lose all buffs and effects standing in this field and suffer constant Radiation damage with a 50% chance of proc per second. Friendly Wildlife, Companions and Allies standing on Hallowed Ground have all status effects removed, cannot suffer knockdowns and receive +25% shields and armor, while healing 10hp per second.

Clarification: Nullifiers cannot maintain their bubbles while standing on Hallowed Ground. It is dissolved. 

Affected by: Range (area), Duration (length of effect) and Power (healing and damage)

Augment - Hallowed Presence: Hallowed Ground becomes an aura that travels with Oberon. This aura has 50% of the range of Hallowed Ground, but also grants +50% melee damage to Oberon and allies, in addition to other affects. 

3. Renewal

Cost: 75 Energy

Oberon expels a fast moving wave of healing energy across the battlefield. This wave of energy has no range limit, moves extremely fast, and immediately heals Oberon, Allies, Companions and friendly Wildlife for 100/200/300 health, and removes all status effects and slows bleedout based on duration (the more duration, the greater the degree to which bleedout is slowed and the longer the slow lasts).

In addition to healing, Renewal also:

Instills all friendly characters, allies and protected targets with health and shield regen at the rate of 10/20/30 points per second, for 20 seconds. Healing and regen remain in place even if these stats are at max, as a layer of continued protection, as long as Renewal has duration remaining.

All corpses are converted to health orbs upon cast

Health Orbs within 5/10/15m of Oberon are pulled toward him when Renewal is cast.

Affected by: Range (for health orb pull), Duration (length of extra healing, bleedout modification) and Power Strength (strength of both immediate and duration heal).

Augment - Renewing Blast: Upon cast, the wave released by Renewal deals 300/400/500 damage to enemies within a 5/10/15m radius (affected by range). Damage is 50% Impact, 50% Radiation (50% Proc chance). Enemies within the first half of the Radius suffer a knockdown. Enemies in the outer half of the radius are staggered. All enemies are blinded by the flash of the wave for 4 seconds. 

4. Reckoning

Cost: 25 Energy; 5 Energy per second

When Oberon begins channeling Reckoning:

-Enemies are lifted off the ground, and begin suffering 250 Radiation Damage per second, with a 100% Proc chance. The proc duration has a base of 5 seconds, and is renewed each time damage is dealt.

When Oberon ceases channeling Reckoning:

-Enemies are slammed violently into the ground, suffering a knockdown

-The knockdown deals 100 Impact Damage for each second the enemies were suspended by Reckoning

-Knocked down enemies emit a flash of light. Enemies within 5m of those knocked down suffer a Blind lasting 5 seconds. 

-Allies and friendly wildlife within 5m of downed enemies are healed by 250 points of health (Renewal flashes)

-Enemies killed by Reckoning will drop a health Orb. Any enemy suspended for at least 5 seconds, will drop a health orb that restores the maximum amount of health Orbs can grant.

Affected by: Range (radius of Reckoning and Blinding Flash), Duration (reduces energy per second cost as now) and Strength (increases damage dealt both during and at the conclusion of Reckoning)

Augment - Hallowed Reckoning: Upon being slammed into the ground by reckoning, enemies create small fields of Hallowed Ground, with a 5m Radius (plus Range). These fields are exact duplicates granting all bonuses and effects of Hallowed Ground.

And there we are: My rather subtle idea for a QoL change to Oberon. I cannot take full credit for the Channeled Reckoning; I grabbed that idea from another poster, whose name I cannot recall but who I hope will pipe up and remind me. I truly thought it an excellent idea. 

So...let me know what you think of the new armor based, melee Druid/Paladin hybrid. But please remember: I was deliberately not trying to change who or what Oberon is. Frankly, I like him the way he is. He does not heal or control as well as other frames, but unlike those specialty frames, he does do both at the same time. So rather than alter his identity, I just wanted to make an Oberon a little better than the one we have now, while retaining his overall identity.

Edited by BlackCoMerc

Totally agreed that he should still be jack of all trades. Many people try to change that, but I don't really want to take that away from him.

10/10 would add Health Conversion.

I'm not sure about changing his Smite, sure it is a bit unreliable but I liked them bouncy. Perhaps they just need to home in on their enemies more effectively than now, that's it.

With all the healing of the other 3 abilities, I think we'll need to nerf some.

I especially liked Reckoning. Kudos to that other guy who gave this idea.

Oberon does need more survivability and a rewarded heal for killing enemies, the Renewal with its health orb pull-in does that.

34 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

slows bleedout based on duration (the more duration, the greater the degree to which bleedout is slowed and the longer the slow lasts)

The bleedout slowdown being Duration-based was always very silly to me,
what good is it to slow it down to, say, 30+ seconds if the effect stops after 15 seconds?

Just make the slowdown last until the ally either dies or is revived, duh.

39 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

All corpses are converted to health orbs upon cast

TBH, I really don't like how that can interfere with Desecrate (which ... might be flavorful but alas, not too practical),
I'd prefer Reckoning marking enemies to (within a certain amout of time) drop Orbs on death no matter what killed them.

With Renewal persisting past full Health (without drain costs), you don't need to litter the ground with Orbs all that much, anyway.

No real problems with the rest, and not least the increased Armor & Energy would certainly be appreciated.

Seeing as his abilities suggested here are all oriented to health healing.. doesn't he need more health? Like say, 500 at Rank 30. Maybe lower his Armor rating to balance it out.

And yes, I don't think players would like Renewal affecting Nekros' Desecrate. Maybe just mark or force dead enemies to spawn health orbs with 80% chance, but not convert their corpses. Corpse-converting is Nekros' job.

All in all excellent ideas. 

• I can already hear people saying "why not just make HG an aura from the start?" But this gives choice and that's great.
  • Maybe Hallowed Ground regens energy instead of health? Maybe armor + damage, instead of armor + shields?
  • Renewal sounds ridiculously cool. Maybe instead of shield regen, renewal reflects a % of damage when hit at the attacker as radiation with a chance to proc?
  • Maybe just add that AoE renewal blast to phoenix renewal when its activated, 90s cooldown would be a bit more balanced - since having it on cast can just be spammed.
55 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

-The knockdown deals 100 Impact Damage for each second the enemies were suspended by Reckoning

It would take 5s of channeling to deal its current base impact damage. I don't know a whole lot about the numbers in this game but this seems...fishy. 

1 hour ago, BlackCoMerc said:

-Enemies killed by Reckoning will drop a health Orb. Any enemy suspended for at least 5 seconds, will drop a health orb that restores the maximum amount of health Orbs can grant

Not sure what you mean. 25 is the max amount health orbs give.

P.S  Not sure if you're referring to this but I posted recently about making Reckoning channeled with each tick giving 10% chance to turn an enemy into a spectral kubrow on slam.

3 minutes ago, BeardyKyle said:

P.S  Not sure if you're referring to this but I posted recently about making Reckoning channeled with each tick giving 10% chance to turn an enemy into a spectral kubrow on slam.

Oml I'd laugh so hard if this happens.

58 minutes ago, BeardyKyle said:

All in all excellent ideas. 

• I can already hear people saying "why not just make HG an aura from the start?" But this gives choice and that's great.
  • Maybe Hallowed Ground regens energy instead of health? Maybe armor + damage, instead of armor + shields?
  • Renewal sounds ridiculously cool. Maybe instead of shield regen, renewal reflects a % of damage when hit at the attacker as radiation with a chance to proc?
  • Maybe just add that AoE renewal blast to phoenix renewal when its activated, 90s cooldown would be a bit more balanced - since having it on cast can just be spammed.

It would take 5s of channeling to deal its current base impact damage. I don't know a whole lot about the numbers in this game but this seems...fishy. 

Not sure what you mean. 25 is the max amount health orbs give.

I think it might have been your Reckoning idea I spotted indeed. Didnt notice the part about Spectral Kubrow, but that is very flavorful and pretty cool. I like it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, LunarEdge7 said:

Seeing as his abilities suggested here are all oriented to health healing.. doesn't he need more health? Like say, 500 at Rank 30. Maybe lower his Armor rating to balance it out.

And yes, I don't think players would like Renewal affecting Nekros' Desecrate. Maybe just mark or force dead enemies to spawn health orbs with 80% chance, but not convert their corpses. Corpse-converting is Nekros' job.

Good point about Nekros. I like the idea of marking the enemies to drop orbs so as not to interfere with another frame's domain. Besides, marking them to drop is more flavorful, as he is marking them for Renewal...

1 hour ago, NinjaZeku said:

The bleedout slowdown being Duration-based was always very silly to me,
what good is it to slow it down to, say, 30+ seconds if the effect stops after 15 seconds?

Just make the slowdown last until the ally either dies or is revived, duh.

TBH, I really don't like how that can interfere with Desecrate (which ... might be flavorful but alas, not too practical),
I'd prefer Reckoning marking enemies to (within a certain amout of time) drop Orbs on death no matter what killed them.

With Renewal persisting past full Health (without drain costs), you don't need to litter the ground with Orbs all that much, anyway.

No real problems with the rest, and not least the increased Armor & Energy would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks for chiming in. Again, I didnt think about interfering with Nekros. Good point. I do like marking the enemies to drop health on death instead.

His Armor, Health and Energy would take some balancing, to be sure. But I do think Oberon needs to be an Armor frame first and foremost. He is intended to get into the thick of things and while Renewal is good...I dont think we should need to worry over bringing a Trinity to keep our Oberon alive. 

9 hours ago, (PS4)Darth-Escar said:

I think this is too complicated for a warframe that has to focus on playing muptiple roles, especially with Reckoning.

It's because his ulti seems complicated and does more things than dmg that makes it perfect for a jack-of-all-trades.

The 25 cost and 5 energy/second seem quite manageable.

Perhaps the base heal (250) on slamming enemies near your allies needs to be nerfed, though.

But it needs a trade-off otherwise all the other abilities are there just to rot. You reminded me, lol..

Oberon moves way slower during the channeling of Reckoning, but his melee speed is unaffected, and max amount of enemies to be affected by Reckoning should be 15 or 20, how's that? So if there's more enemies around, you won't hold everyone afloat like Bastille (won't want it to be better than that ability now..) and deactivate it for its blind instead.

Hey OP, this is a pretty good rework you got going. Maybe you can take some points from the comment section and edit your original post with a change list to keep the thread going. Also, something people never take into account whatever changes you suggest must be in line with conclave as well - IE powers should be usable but not over powered in conclave. Conclave usually decreases the stats of all powers so this mainly has to do with the mechanics of the abilities not being game breaking.

It's a great idea, though i think renewal would be a little OP whatever, not important. The one thing I'd like to add is that I love it when warframes use synergy within their abilities to amplify/alter them. Saryn is the best representation of this, where you can put spores on your molt, and pop both when you use miasma for x3 dmg, and depending on how much dmg your molt takes up to x4 dmg. Implementing that alone in some way could make Oberon better, adding range and a heal wave to reckoning with renewal active or that with renewal active smite and reckoning have a 100% chance to create health orbs on kills would be fantastic. causing Hallowed ground to deal more dmg and heal or armor teammates (I think one of them is already an augment) when renewal is active is a great idea, i think basing Oberon on being better with renewal on, and reducing the cost of renewal would be fantastic as well.

I would also love a different passive or altered passive that will affect every mission and be more useful than friendly wildlife, since corpus don't have animals, and you don't always run into them, and if you do, the passive is still very minimal. A kubrow/kavat upgrade like suggested would be fantastic, and actually make me pick one over sentinels (I'd pick a kavat over sentinels probably but i do not know since i am a console tenno [with a pc account that i use for forums, i guess])

Edited by Chaosolis

I like Oberon Freyarch skin,

I dont see other reasons to play him. Every frame needs something OP. to be a reason to play this frame.

We have alot of damaging frames, some CC, and some defensive, so having some support - sure why not (trinity role)

Smite is your standard 1st ability, reckoning is your standard ult. No need to change them much.

Passive has troll factor. Every charm has troll factor, since it could stop others nuke or snipe shot, and here we cant even control it. Change it.

Hallowed Ground is to small for WF maps. It should be 50% bigger. More of the sieze of Frost Freeze or Ember ring of fire.

Small % of armour is uneffective. It gives nothing to squishes, and not much tanks. Also why squishies should stay inside damaging aoe? Hallowed Ground could strip enemy armour or deplete shields, or neutralize nulifiers. Or give set number of bonus armour (like +100 * power strenght) Now the armour part if uneffective.

Phoenix Reneval is counterproductive mod. Since the more we buff duration on Reneval the shorter it is, the less chance for Phoenix to trigger. What we need is to phoenix insta revive bleeding allies. (on cast)

Honestly. After the last trinity rework, Oberon is a better party healer than Trinity, with her limited range blessing, and his unlimited range renewal. The only changes Oberon really needs, are to have the renewal duration not end once everyone is healed. let the duration last until turned off, like every other channeled ability, to continue the bleedout reduction effect only, and to make Phoenix Revival actually useful. The second alteration should be with Reckoning. Just outright get rid of the whole red health orb drops, and give it some real damage, increased range, and just put an end to that stupid floating bubble thing, and give the enemies increased damage vulnerability for the duration, something like a thirty percent damage vulnerability would be fair for a press 4 power.  Lastly his passive should just be chucked. He was always a paladin, but release one pretty skin and now he's a beastlord with a passive to temporarily tame the animals that aren't all that common if you're not messing with grineer. instead give him a paladin type passive, for instance, a 5 to 10% damage bonus to allies who are healed by Renewel for ten seconds after being healed. (Optionally, maybe add a mod to give Hollowed ground an enemy movement speed reduction rate while they walk on it.) Do these things, and Oberon gets to be viable, instead of the one warframe where you have to force his parts on people as standard drops on every map board. 

Edited by (PS4)NECRO5791
typo. meant to type ten, not two.

Oberon was and is King of Feries. Not some kind of DnD paladin.

What could be done is twist his visuals to be more nature/ferie theme. Like reneval cared by pixies, or Hallowed ground being more spirit hounted, and Reckoning being more of tree tentacles catching and squizing enemies, even passive could be summon angry pixie firing lazors from eyes. 

It is Oberon not Cid/Roland/Zygrif/Boewulf.

28 minutes ago, felixsylvaris said:

What could be done is twist his visuals to be more nature/ferie theme.

Agreed, I never really saw the "theme" of current Oberon, they named him as the King of Faeries but until Titania came along, no one seems to really notice none of his abilities are faerie themed.  Except perhaps his third with its willowisps aspect.

28 minutes ago, felixsylvaris said:

passive could be summon angry pixie firing lazors from eyes.

This made me laugh.

3 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

This made me laugh.

Good to read.

Nevertheless, Oberon passive is a bit trolling, and farming Kavats with Oberon gives taste of that, so changing passive is a good idea.

And, passive in form: Summon nature ally (Wisp) when you cast ability, wisp will fight on your side (not very well) attacking same target as Oberon and drawing enemy fire. Using more abilities prolongs Wisp duration.

It is somthing to consider.

Just now, felixsylvaris said:

Summon nature ally (Wisp)

That's better.  definitely.  You didn't really go into detail with the whole "faeries that shoot lazers" which what was funny.  But yeah, using abilities causing wisps to appear and mess with nearby enemies or something sounds pretty good.

At least until the whole animal passive thing is more than just usable on 2 or 3 planets against 2 factions and only once in a while.  

I think the passive is the only thing that needs attention. I only use it for Kavat farming. I enjoy the jack-of-all-trades nature of both Oberon and Nezha. A few number changes might be good, but a full rework isn't ideal (to me).

I quite enjoy the rework you propose, good work.

However, I have some neat picks:

--Will there be a time limit to Reckoning? And maybe increase the per second cost to 10?

--Personally, I consider a limitless range wave a tad too strong for a Jack Frame. If that was a reworked blessing, it would be ok, but it isn't. So, I think that to keep his healing abilities in check, the wave should behave like polarize does now (initial range affected by range, duration of expansion and subsequent final range affected by duration), and the healing overtime should only apply to companions and Oberon himself-- let's be honest, healing overtime is quite too powerful with the right set up, and I don't think a Jack frame should be capable of immortalizing the whole squad.

Other than that, good job!

8 hours ago, tnccs215 said:

I quite enjoy the rework you propose, good work.

However, I have some neat picks:

--Will there be a time limit to Reckoning? And maybe increase the per second cost to 10?

--Personally, I consider a limitless range wave a tad too strong for a Jack Frame. If that was a reworked blessing, it would be ok, but it isn't. So, I think that to keep his healing abilities in check, the wave should behave like polarize does now (initial range affected by range, duration of expansion and subsequent final range affected by duration), and the healing overtime should only apply to companions and Oberon himself-- let's be honest, healing overtime is quite too powerful with the right set up, and I don't think a Jack frame should be capable of immortalizing the whole squad.

Other than that, good job!

I don't think a heal overtime is OP at all, consider if you're in range of blessing trinity you can be at full health almost all the time. Considering it has travel time with the infinite range.

I like OPs idea of renewal grabbing health orbs but its kind of redundant since he's already healing. Maybe when reckoning is cast irradiated enemies will drop a smite orb which oberon can absorb with renewal and they add 100% radiation damage to his attacks for a duration based on how many orbs are absorbed.

I'd like if hallowed ground removed any damage resistances from enemies and added extra damage to allies on it. Since to me its more of an offensive move than defensive. Hallowed Ground says I'm gonna take you all on but you're in my neighborhood.

23 hours ago, felixsylvaris said:

Oberon was and is King of Feries. Not some kind of DnD paladin.

What could be done is twist his visuals to be more nature/ferie theme. Like reneval cared by pixies, or Hallowed ground being more spirit hounted, and Reckoning being more of tree tentacles catching and squizing enemies, even passive could be summon angry pixie firing lazors from eyes. 

It is Oberon not Cid/Roland/Zygrif/Boewulf.

In all fairness. all of Oberons powers are word for word DND Paladin power names. I've never seen them in any book refering to fairies, so I always saw Oberon as a Paladin. His paired weapon when you first got him was a Magistar, if that wasn't a paladin weapon I don't know what is. Also Straight from DE's original description of Oberon Oberon is a Paladin. The frames name is the only thing that links him to fairies:

Release Date: December 18th, 2013

Oberon is a paladin among Warframes. Zealous offensive powers and sacred protective skills make him a balanced warrior with both assault and supportive capabilities. Oberon came to light inUpdate 11.5.

I love the slightly increased armour new passive. Both significant improvements, he deffinatly needs the armour.

Smite:
I prefer the homing projectiles, but I'm not completely against a change.

Hallowed Ground:
Yes to everything, especially the augment. No mention of range values, needs to be much bigger than what it is currently.
Idea on this;
As suggested above, perhaps energy regen instead. Alternativly, base it on energy colour; reds for health regen, blues for energy regen. dark hues vs light hues. idk, be nice to have a frame other than EV Trinity and Limbo for energy supply.

Renewal:
I like most of it. Its a radial wave instead of healing orbs? It might need to be non-recastable until duration expires otherwise Renewal spamming might be the new Bless. Nevermind, won't be an issue. Not sure about the health orbs from corpses, treads on Nekro's domain a bit much. Perhaps instead an amount of health orbs will appear/grow around each player as a 'gift from the earth given to nature's defenders'. Pulling health orbs towards Oberon is superfluos if he's healing wiht renewal anyway. Augment is sweet.

Reckoning:
Best thing about the change here is that orbs can drop even if the enemies don't die. Still makes the ability aid survivabilty in high levels where they are not likely to die from it. Augment deff needs that alteration to range.

Edited by SoulOfTheHunter

On 7/21/2016 at 9:36 AM, LunarEdge7 said:

Oml I'd laugh so hard if this happens.

lol this would be awesome. Your energy kubrows would be born of your enemies using their life force to sustain themselves for a time, during which they swarm all other enemies using the kubrow finisher/grapple attack animation. All while Led Zeppelin sings in the back ground "The dogs of doom are howling low"