Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What would you do if you had some Platinum?

sookster

Question

So I am a complete nooby.  Been playing for about a week.  I'm currently working on getting my archwing made in the forgery.  My next goal is to get harvesters up as well as trying to find out where components for Rhino are dropped.  I have like half of his stuff to make a warframe.  And I would LOVE to play another frame.  That would be so cool.  I am kind of tired of excaliber.

I am going to get some spare money that is owed to me, and I am considering buying some plat with it.  Now personally, I would like to buy another frame.  But someone on these boards specifically said to never buy frames.  I would buy cosmetics, but I don't like excaliber to really do that, at least at this point.  I haven't really fell in love with him so to speak.  So if you were to buy a frame, who would you get?

Finally, if you had plat, what would you get?  There is so much stuff to buy, I'm kind of at lost as to what makes the most sense to me, because I am that nooby.

The advise and direction is greatly appreciated.

Cosmetic armor and syandanas are not bound to a single frame, so say you get the Daedalus set (my preferred standard armor), you can use it on all frames that you get in the future as well. BONUS NOTE: ALL FRAMES AND WEAPONS CAN BE ACQUIRED WITHOUT PLATINUM. (It won't even take long once you start stockpiling resources from running missions and whatnot.)

If I HAD to pick a frame to buy (I wouldn't advise spending plat on frames either, tho) I'd probably get Ivara, since a) She's on sale this coming weekend, and b) she's really annoying to farm, cause Spy missions can be hard for some people.

If I had plat, I'd be buying the new Nova skin, but that's just me being a skin collector. I recommend you spend the plat with Trading channel if you're good at haggling prices, cause Trade chat will very integral to earning/spending plat as you begin to collect Prime items, which are always nice to have in your arsenal.

Edited by Shiniko

Well every frame can be gotten through playing the game so that is why buying them is not the best thing to do.

You can get the rhino parts on the venus assassination btw. Killing the jackal rewards the part blueprints and the main bp is bought for credits in the market.

As for plat... at the start I mostly bought warframe / weapon slots, reactors/catalysts for my most used gear and some cosmetics. Going for frames or weapons is a waste though.

I would just spend them on slots and more slots. Most warframes and weapons don't need platinum but the slots do. This should be your main priority.

Next thing is potatoes, because they are rare from alerts.

Finally, pallettes and syandanas because fashionframe. Only if you have excess plat.

PRO-TIP:  short on cash?  Use your hard earned plat early on for warframe and weapon slots.  Don't buy any warframes or weapons for platinum until you have some form of plat income from trading going, or money saved for that express purpose.  Once you've got a feel and are invested, sure BUY a prime warframe if you really really want to, but generally speaking, save plat for things you CANT just acquire from farming.

There is nothing wrong with buying frames straight out.  I do suggest that you do research on those frames before making a purchase as it could be a frame that's easy to get.  That said, when you purchase a frame directly from the market you get said frame with slot and potato/catalyst already on it.  This means you don't have to spend additional plat on a frame slot.  

Of the frames that most will agree on that are worth spending plat on are the ones that are hard to farm.  Frames like Vauban, Nehza, Ivara, etc.  Some (not all) who tell you not to use plat for a frame is more than likely hating because they can't do it or feel that you haven't earned the frame by buying it.  Do what you feel makes you happy.  Just get as much info before you make your final decision.  Check Youtube videos on Frames you might like and also the warframe wiki.  

Edited by DatDarkOne
correction

24 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

There is nothing wrong with buying frames straight out.  I do suggest that you do research on those frames before making a purchase as it could be a frame that's easy to get.  That said, when you purchase a frame directly from the market you get said frame with slot and potato/catalyst already on it.  This means you don't have to spend additional plat on a frame slot.  

Of the frames that most will agree on that are worth spending plat on are the ones that are hard to farm.  Frames like Vauban, Nehza, Ivara, etc.  Anyone telling you not to use plat for a frame is more than likely hating because they can't do it or feels that you haven't earned the frame by buying it.  Do what you feel makes you happy.  Just get as much info before you make your final decision.  Check Youtube videos on Frames you might like and also the warframe wiki.  

I got vauban, nezha and ivara without much trouble. True, those frames are some of the hardest to get, but with abit of patience and luck you can get all 3. As for vauban, it is better if you spend that 300 plat on a vauban prime set.

Nezha parts can be obtained in sorties, but those are one of the hardest missions and its not a guarantee to get the parts. Ivara can be obtained if you're good in spy and patient enough to farm her. It's fine if you want to spend plat on warframes, but 300 plat for them for me isn't worth it (and I don't have that much either)

32 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Of the frames that most will agree on that are worth spending plat on are the ones that are hard to farm.  Frames like Vauban, Nehza, Ivara, etc.  Anyone telling you not to use plat for a frame is more than likely hating because they can't do it or feels that you haven't earned the frame by buying it.  Do what you feel makes you happy.  Just get as much info before you make your final decision.  Check Youtube videos on Frames you might like and also the warframe wiki.  

the reason why it is advised against newer players though is mostly because some of them cost so much that it might eat up your whole plat reserve in one go and the cheap ones are usually easy to farm anyway. Unless The first plat purchase is one of a large amount I'd say that better stuff could have been bought with it.

33 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Anyone telling you not to use plat for a frame is more than likely hating because they can't do it or feels that you haven't earned the frame by buying it. 

LOL really bruh. Um no it's common sense. number one pay attention. This dude is most likely talking about buying a frame from the market. Nezha isn't even hard to farm and I brought him for only 50p. Vauban you can easily get from alerts. just takes a while and with the new update to the alert rotation it's even easier. I was say yest to Ivara only if she is on sale though. But don't go assuming people are hating just because they say not to buy warframes. It's just called spending your plat wisely and taking the time to farm instead of paying to rush and get stuff and ending up wasting plat. smh.

40 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Anyone telling you not to use plat for a frame is more than likely hating because they can't do it or feels that you haven't earned the frame by buying it

Not true at all.  (at least not from my perspective, or my motivation for saying what I did)

This guy is brand new.  His rate of acquisition of weapons will likely far outstrip his rate of frame acquisition, and he's going to have to make a LOT more hard and fast decisions about what to keep and what to throw out if he doesn't invest plat in slots 1st.  He's readily admitted to basically not being a whale, so any plat purchases will initially need to be well thought out.  There is ZERO way to acquire more slots without spending plat.

Me personally, I'm flush with cash from time to time, so I happily buy plat, and spend it on crap.  I have zero judgement on how anyone gets anything.  If you farmed it?  Good for you.  If you bought it with plat?  Good for you.  Doesn't affect me at all, so why would I care.

This is someone asking for help.  I personally believe they should spend their first plat on slots.

Edited by grimdraken

Buy only warframe, weapons slots and catalysts for those selected few you like, and when you have spare plats then go for cosmetics. If you want prime frame or weapon at least try farming it 1st, a little bit of waiting will not hurt you. Also buying regular frames is bad choice..... you could be spending that plat on something that you can't obtain without plat. Ultimately its your choice so whatever you do you do.

Edited by rytisrytis

depends on what's most important to you. if that's the practical stuff, then it's Slots (of whatever type you want, whether that is Warframe, Weapon, Sentinel, Archwing, Et Cetera) and Reactors/Catalysts.

but Cosmetics is completely valid ofcourse. you seem to already get that monetarily it only makes sense to buy them once you're sure you want them. Skins only for things you like enough to perhaps even personally identify with, Scarves if you like them (Tennogen stuff through Steam is worth keeping an eye on as well), Color Palates that you find useful, Et Cetera.

or using it to buy useful things from other Players in Trading, if there's things that are hard to get you want that fit into that category.
and you can always sell things to other Players too ofcourse.

however it's your Platinum. if you do want to buy something with it, because you're feeling lazy, you don't want to wait, you want that cool thing now or whatever the reason, it's still your Platinum.

Edited by taiiat

48 minutes ago, 4holes said:

I got vauban, nezha and ivara without much trouble. True, those frames are some of the hardest to get, but with abit of patience and luck you can get all 3. As for vauban, it is better if you spend that 300 plat on a vauban prime set.

What could be not much trouble for you, could be hell for someone else due to RNG.  I play spy missions all the time and in playing for over 5 months I still have not gotten all of Ivara's parts.  Where someone else was able to get her in one day.  This is something a newer player will not be able to do with any of the frames I mentioned.

46 minutes ago, Airwolfen said:

the reason why it is advised against newer players though is mostly because some of them cost so much that it might eat up your whole plat reserve in one go and the cheap ones are usually easy to farm anyway.

This is why I said to do research and gather info before making purchase.   Give a person enough information and let them decide for themselves.  I did my research, bought my frame, and been happy with the decision.  I believe that others should be aware of those options.   

1 hour ago, DatDarkOne said:

I do suggest that you do research on those frames before making a purchase as it could be a frame that's easy to get.  

Just get as much info before you make your final decision.  Check Youtube videos on Frames you might like and also the warframe wiki.  

All we really are doing is giving OP information to help him/her make the best decision that's right for them.  

Edit:  Some seem to have taken offense to part of my previous post.  I might have generalized that more than needed.  I still stand by what I said because of my experiences both in-game and out.  

Edited by DatDarkOne
added statements

Okay coming from me (playing for more than 3 months now) I pretty much have all the syandanas I want, all the Palettes that I like, and all the skins that I find interesting. Right now all that I want to spend platinum on are slots, slots, slots, more slots, potatoes, slots, Portable Orokin Tactical Augmentation and Tactical Offensive Devices, and more slots... :I

TLDR: I reached the point that I'm happy with my fashion frame that all I wanna do is get more slots and potatoes. On a sidenote though the 35p 3forma bundle looks nice but I still haven't touched it.

In this order:

WF slot

Weapon Slot

Ortokin catalys and reactors

Deluxe skins (expecially banshee)

primed pistol mods (but this last is just me)

I need the 75% discount so much .-.

Edited by VonDodo

Slots are the only thing that you can't get without plat (special event weapons being the exclusion here). Other than slots, only cosmetics should be considered. Farm the rest.
Catalysators may be troublesome, but they do show up quite regularly.

My suggestion for you is to gear up to farm for prime parts and sell those for plat.

warframe slots - I've run out (got 12 slots)

weapon slots - I've run out (20 slots - yes I can sell some when weapons are levelled up but still)

archwing and archwing weapon slots - still don't like the fact we now need to buy these but luckily I'm happy with what I've got here for the moment

stasis slots for kavats/kubrows - I've run out (4 kubrows but no kavats as I can't seem to get the scans.. must try again soon)

in my case another 3 slots for sentinels - I've run out (got all but prime versions so no issue really but I want them all eventually, yes I know wyrm is vaulted)

Equinox.... I bought this because I couldn't be bothered to wait or go through hunting for 8 parts before I could build it.

Orokin Reactors/Catalysts - these are stupidly hard to get in game (they're basically alert only) but you only really need them as you progress further in the game in my opinion, they're not important straight away but it's worth putting them on your best items you're not intending to sell.

Forma - might grab some of the 35plat packs if any was left over but they're pretty easy to get from relics now.

Some might also say get mirage due to the 'difficulty' in getting map coordinates or inaros because of the need for ducats but it all depends on how patient you are and if you're ok with waiting really.

As to 'skins' and other cosmetics - helmets don't bother with them, theres plenty of alerts on them at the moment, everything else (like the helmets) is basically a personal preference as they'll have no impact on the way the warframe, weapon or companion actually plays.  I'm ignoring arcanes etc as they're legacy items and only through plat trading.

There's also the option of trading for prime parts etc but do research on prices first.

As you can see even after buying a load of slots last time I bought platinum I've still run out, I've only playing about 3 months... I made the mistake of buying nyx with platinum and it was literally one of the first frames I could get in game (should have done more research like I do now on wiki warframe page to give idea of when they'll come through).  So my honest advice is slots are your best investment and you should focus your plat there and the rest is basically 'if you really want it' but not needed.

Edited by LSG501